Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Does Retribution just get plugged in as a collective contribution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ChrisBTY posted:

Does Retribution just get plugged in as a collective contribution?

Retribution are not yet in the competition

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Vandar already nominated this but I would like to do an even deeper dive on it because this will probably be a 1 seed.

Kerwin White
Gimmick Run Time: July 4, 2005 - November 21, 2005
Promotion: World Wrestling Entertainment
Portrayed by: Chavo Guerrero Jr., with Nick Nemeth

In the 2005 draft, they moved Chavo Guerrero from SmackDown to Raw. A perennial Cruiserwight Division mainstay, they sought to give him something new to stand out on the red brand. Enter Kerwin White, a gimmick where Chavo would denounce his latino lineage, take on the persona of a minority wishing to be and act white and denounce other races as being capable of producing valid role models, including a catchphrase of "If It Ain't White, It Ain't Right." He would have Nick Nemeth as his golf caddy and feud with exclusively black and brown wrestlers until the death of Eddie Guerrero in November. It took two weeks after Eddie's death for WWE to allow Chavo to drop the gimmick and turn heel after failing to win the Intercontinental Championship in honor of his dead uncle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsfztADiH9M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0ULkNG08_k

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Kerwin was already nominated.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

Kerwin was already nominated.

yes, im doing a deeper exposition on him

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Rarity posted:

I'd say Cult Leader Sister Abigail Bray and Yowie Wowie Fiend Bray are separate gimmicks so you'll need to pick just one to submit

May I go ahead and nominate Fiend Bray as my own nomination?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I want to nominate Chucky in WCW but I can't get the forums to post pictures!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bladeworksmaster posted:

May I go ahead and nominate Fiend Bray as my own nomination?

Eh I think Eugene needs to be in there so screw it we'll be opening up repeats for sure at some point so I'll just add it now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

In the 2005 draft, they moved Chavo Guerrero from SmackDown to Raw. A perennial Cruiserwight Division mainstay, they sought to give him something new to stand out on the red brand. Enter Kerwin White, a gimmick where Chavo would denounce his latino lineage, take on the persona of a minority wishing to be and act white and denounce other races as being capable of producing valid role models, including a catchphrase of "If It Ain't White, It Ain't Right." He would have Nick Nemeth as his golf caddy and feud with exclusively black and brown wrestlers until the death of Eddie Guerrero in November. It took two weeks after Eddie's death for WWE to allow Chavo to drop the gimmick and turn heel after failing to win the Intercontinental Championship in honor of his dead uncle.

oh my god I remember everything except this specifically. jesus chriiiiisssssst :stare:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

DJExile posted:

oh my god I remember everything except this specifically. jesus chriiiiisssssst :stare:

And never forget - it was written by a white guy.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Shard posted:

And never forget - it was written by a white guy.
Bruce Prichard?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Frankly Freddie Prinze Jr is the only non-white wwe writer I've ever heard about.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Shard posted:

Frankly Freddie Prinze Jr is the only non-white wwe writer I've ever heard about.

Patrice O'Neal who people only know was ever a WWE writer because of the story about Stephanie McMahon texting him multiple times that he was fired because he didn't have the reaction she wanted when he first learned about it

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Is this tournament for WWE/WCW stuff only, or is stuff from ECW and SMW eligible too?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CombineThresher posted:

Is this tournament for WWE/WCW stuff only, or is stuff from ECW and SMW eligible too?

Anything from anywhere, ROH, the indies and New Japan have all been featured already

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Someone who can do him justice should nominate Captain New Japan.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Black Reign!

A pill-soaked, out of shape Dustin Rhodes doing a terrible 'split personality' gimmick. Nobody cared, and it was so bad people visibly laughed on-camera during his segments.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

This bad idea didn't last for too long, and it was the Sinister Minister's TV debut, but holy poo poo this sucked.

Prince Kharis

Jim Cornette's Smoky Mountain Wrestling was an old-school promotion where wrestlers wrestled in wrestling matches and stood firmly against the sports entertainment cartoon bullshit that WWE was doing...at least until the money mark financing SMW (Rick Rubin) said he wanted a mummy on TV.

Enter Prince Kharis, a 5,000-year-old mummy managed by Darryl Van Horne (aka the Sinister Minister James Mitchell). Kharis was a big goof in a stupid zombie mask and a white tracksuit wrapped up in tape and gauze, with baby powder all over him so he'd look dusty. He beat a few jobbers with a loaded forearm in lovely matches and even got a title match against the Dirty White Boy that was somehow worse, then they stopped booking him because he sucked and didn't get over. This was dumb and bad and the result of a self-righteous rear end in a top hat completely abandoning his principles.

In conclusion pro wrestling is the king of sports.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
A tournament so nice, I want to contribute twice.

Braden Walker! (Pictured below on the right)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1kOL-6YY0&t=11s

Chris Harris' career is killed dead on his ECW debut when his very first promo is a knock knock joke, and he gets fired a few weeks later after having a really bad match against a jobber. It's such a bad idea, John Morrison brings him up months after his firing, and fans chant it at him when he comes back to TNA years later for a cup of coffee.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Thanlis posted:

They absolutely better not

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NienNunb posted:

They absolutely better not

What about The Original Bone Soldier

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Does The Yetay count as a gimmick or should it be rolled into the entire Dungeon of Doom

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

It'd probably be knocked out of the touranment first round, but I'll nominate ANTIAS from Dragon Gate.

Dragon Gate is a company booked around faction warfare. It's the frame in which all other things are placed in the company. Generally the faction make-up is three to four face/tweener factions, with one definite heel faction. When that heel faction is good, the entire product tends to be very good (Muscle Outlaw'z, Blood Warriors, Mad Blankey, early Verserk, and current R.E.D.), and when that heel faction is bad, the company tends to get dragged down with it (Real Hazard, Deep Drunkers, later Verserk, and ANTIAS)

ANTIAS was a short lived stop gap between the two amazing heel factions of Verserk and current top heel faction R.E.D. Antias was really weird. Verserk was formed by three of the company's top stars of Shingo Takagi, Naruki Doi, and YAMATO, who held the top belt and the tag belts when it formed, but by the time ANTIAS came around, Doi and YAMATO had turned face, and Shingo randomly cut a promo where he declared he was going to be taking a back seat to "the younger guys" which meant T-Hawk, Eita, and El Lindaman. T-Hawk was... not over and in no position to be the top heel in the company, and both Eita and El Lindaman had been cut off multiple times at the altar of T-Hawk's failed push (A long story, but think WWE's multi-year attempt to push Reings) prior to this. So the faction that was supposed to be the main heel group had no heat and no real credibility because nobody was into T-Hawk as a top guy and it felt forced as hell. This all culminated like a month into ANTIAS' run where Doi and YAMATO cut a promo on the group complaining about the dumb new name after they had worked so hard to come up with a cool name like Verserk. T-Hawk responded by cutting a promo where he repeatedly referred to ANTIAS as Verserk, each time to derisive laughter from the crowd, which pretty much killed any potential the unit had dead. ANTIAS died a quick death about a year later when T-Hawk and El Lindaman left Dragon Gate with CIMA, and Shingo announced he was leaving shortly after, leading to Eita taking over and turning the group into the far more successful R.E.D.

I'm nominating this mainly because they dragged the entire company down with them. When every one of your heels is connected to the lodestone of a heatless, aimless faction, it just makes the entire company a slog to watch.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 22, 2020

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We're up to 45 entries now so I'm gonna open it up for people to make a second nomination until we get to 60 then I'll be adding four secret wild card spots for gimmicks so goddam famous that they can't not be included. Anyway in the meantime my second nomination is...

Akeem the African Dream

...He's white

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 22, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

AND he's a pointless Dusty Rhodes rib!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My second nomination is Suicide.

Based on the character from the TNA video game, the whole idea of this gimmick in every run seems to be "let's take someone we already have who we know is good (Kaz, Daniels, Sabin, even TJP), put them in an incredibly ugly suit with a very unfortunate name, and make them less coordinated by having them try to perform in this Motocross Punisher getup, then when the fans cotton on that the guy they probably already liked is the one in the suit, we can switch it up to maintain a useless mystery instead of just having the guy the fans already like work under his own gimmick in his already existing gear which will be more comfortable and more recognizable", and you can guess how that's worked. Everything about this character that's ever worked has been because of the talent under the mask, talent that was already established by the time they took up the mask, and unlike similarly passed around gimmicks like Tiger Mask, it hasn't led to anyone getting more over than they already were.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For my second nomination I'll go with Original Bone Soldier

Hideo Saito was a pretty terrible wrestler, but he found something of a niche doing harmless jobber gimmicks, most notably Captain New Japan. That all changed when he teamed up with Yoshitatsu, who was doing a "Bullet Club Hunter" storyline at the time and trying to take on the BC. Captain New Japan turned on Yoshi because of course, and joined BC where he instantly became the worst member in the group's history (and think of the ground that covers. Is Jeff Jarrett still technically a member?).

Saito eventually got fired from New Japan for "gambling problems" (widely speculated to be yakuza ties) and has since vanished from the wrestling scene -- according to Cagematch, his last match was January 2017. The Bone Soldier gimmick was mercilessly mocked by both fans and the Elite afterwards, and essentially got retconned when Taiji Ishimori came in as "the new and improved Bone Soldier."

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Unless I'm mistaken I don't believe these guys have been nominated yet

Retribution

https://twitter.com/oatgan/status/1308646385684811778?s=21

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

what makes Suicide even better/worse to me is that as far as I know, they never even had Low Ki, who voiced Suicide in the TNA video game, be the guy in the Suicide getup on TV.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Someone beat me to Bone Soldier :(

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Thanlis posted:

Captain fookin New Japan? Get the fook outta here

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

The man, the myth, the legend himself...

Mahabali Sherra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDJfs0t0p8E

Sherra was what Bill Murray would generously call a "medium talent."

He was poo poo in the ring, but had a modicum of charisma, and so he invented the Sherra Shuffle, which was called a dance but could be described as "wiggling with his arms crossed." See video above, if you can make it through the full 4 minutes you're made of stronger stuff than I.

It got... kind of over? He would go the rail and do his thing and fans would do it with him. TNA, who would be incapable of selling paper shredders to Enron, jumped on it and claimed that the Sherra Shuffle was SWEEPING THE GLOBE. They were roundly mocked. TNA was doing far less than their 1.1 million peak at this point and would soon have trouble even existing, and so Sherra faded into the history of dancing gimmicks failing miserably.

(I was going to do Funkasaurus but gently caress anything to do with that dipshit, I think TNA going overboard with the gimmick video makes Sherra worse.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I would like to add that, despite all of this, WWE signed Shera after his contract with Impact expired.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Am I gonna go out like mahabali shera??

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I would like to add that, despite all of this, WWE signed Shera after his contract with Impact expired.

lol holy poo poo I forgot about this. Apparently he showed back up in Impact completely inflated.

Since we're allowed to double up and I just remembered another asinine TNA thing...

Orlando Jordan's TNA Run

Orlando Jordan got a break in WWE where he was part of JBL's cabinet. IIRC he didn't do much of note and got shitcanned after backstage drama.

Jordan is openly bisexual, and pitched multiple storylines in WWE where this would be worked into an angle. These never came to fruition, but when TNA picked him up, they apparently gave him a pretty decent amount of creative control for his character. Since this is wrestling, I'm sure you're thinking it was executed in a respectful and tasteful way.

His debut was descending from the ceiling covered in nothing but caution tape, and then gyrating in the ring. A little Gaga, but I can respect that.

A few weeks later, this happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ias1cneqfA

Yes that is supposed to be what you think it is.

(As an aside, the reason roid-golem Rob Terry is bleeding in that video is because he just got waffled in the head by a chair, mere days after WWE announced they were banning all chairshots to the head due to concussion concerns.)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I'll throw in my second nomination: Muhammad Hassan.

He was an Italian-American dude named Marc doing a brownface Arab act whose gimmick was wanting to fight back against post-9/11 anti-Arab stereotypes and American prejudices, which would be fine, except he was a heel who lied and cheated and was portrayed as using antiracism as a shield to deflect criticism of his being a lying, cheating scumbag who had to be valiantly opposed by nobleminded patriots, which would make him complain about racism even harder.

This was deemed too subtle, so eventually they just made him a straight-up terrorist who led a cell of Al Qaeda-style masked men who tried to straight up murder the Undertaker.

Smackdown, at the time, was taped on Tuesdays and aired on Fridays. The morning this segment was to air, the London tube suicide bombings happened.

The WWE left the middle-eastern terrorist murder segment in the show anyway.

Due to the backlash Hassan appeared like one more time after that and was quietly released later that year.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Can we do a collective, career wrong string of bad gimmicks for Brad Armstrong?

Brad Armstrong was a very good wrestler, but somewhat small for the era and not particularly charismatic. He went through Fantasia/Badstreet, the masked Freebird, Arachnaman, the world's lamest Spider-Man ripoff, No Limit Soldier BA, and Buzzkill, another lame rip-off, this time of his brother Road Dogg, when not just wrestling as himself.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Saucer Crab posted:

Can we do a collective, career wrong string of bad gimmicks for Brad Armstrong?

Brad Armstrong was a very good wrestler, but somewhat small for the era and not particularly charismatic. He went through Fantasia/Badstreet, the masked Freebird, Arachnaman, the world's lamest Spider-Man ripoff, No Limit Soldier BA, and Buzzkill, another lame rip-off, this time of his brother Road Dogg, when not just wrestling as himself.

He also had the gimmick of "Candyman" Brad Armstrong, where he'd throw candy to the kids in the crowd as he came to the ring.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

MEET ME AT THE ALAMO

it's time for the VOODOO KIN MAFIA

The voodoo kin mafia were just a sad attempt to generate attention and buzz. So they did what DX did, tried a bunch of stupid stunts outside WWE shows, offered 1 million dollars of dixie carters money (lol) for triple h or shawn micheals to face them AT THE ALAMO which was never accepted. Just a tag team that resonates the uncool and unimportant feeling of TNA at it's worst.

It did however give us this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpx0FSyLPZQ

Oh yeah and the initials stand for Vincent Kennedy McMahon.

ItohRespectArmy fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Since we're getting two picks now, I'll go with something slightly more offensive...

Billy and Chuck (WWE, 2001-2002)

Billy Gunn had been one half of the New Age Outlaws with Road Dogg for many years and had gotten quite over, but had floundered whenever it was time for him to break out on his own. Chuck Palumbo had been one half of the WCW tag champions when WWF bought that company, but he and his partner Sean O'Haire were briskly buried during the Invasion angle. After that angle finally ended, the two started tagging together.

Seemingly in more ways than one! You see, the two men started acted very affectionately together, touching each other and being caught doing supposedly lewd things together in various backstage skits. Despite this inevitably being poo poo, like Orlando Jordan in TNA or Goldust in WWF as already mentioned, this went on for months and the duo actually became mainstays of the tag division. Eventually they adopted Rico as their "personal stylist" and manager, and with his encouragement Chuck actually proposed to Billy one week on Smackdown.

Even though this was clearly being used for heel heat, this angle actually won a special commendation from GLAAD with their supervision, supposedly on the basis that the two (heterosexual, as far as I know) men would get married on-air. Instead, the two "broke character" during the ceremony and insisted that they weren't gay after all, claiming that Rico had led them astray. The one single good part of the whole affair was the priest revealing himself to be Raw GM Eric Bischoff with some surprisingly decent prosthetics, before bringing out 3 Minute Warning to beat up the would-be couple. As an aside, the infamously awful "HLA" episode of Raw* was a part of this angle.

The two split up soon after and Rico went on to manage 3 Minute Warning, with much homophobia still abound.

* EDIT: I should probably elaborate on this for those who were luckily not watching at the time. Eric Bischoff was jealous that Stephanie McMahon's Smackdown was getting mainstream publicity with Billy and Chuck's gay wedding, so a week prior he declared that Raw would feature some HLA... some HOT LESBIAN ACTION. This sent Jerry Lawler into a borderline psychotic episode, as he was unable to stop salivating at the idea of two women getting it on in the ring for the entirety of the show. When the segment finally came around, again featuring two heterosexual performers as far as I'm aware, they just did the most eye-rollingly tame lesbian porn routine imaginable before, yep, you guessed it, 3 Minute Warning came out to beat them up. I believe at least one of "the lesbians" (as they were introduced) was injured during the beatdown.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 23, 2020