Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

To go for something slightly more off the beaten track

The Christopher Street Connection

(Apologies for the lovely screengrab but there are no good pictures of them on Google.)

The Christopher Street Connection, Buff-E & Mace, were a regular team in the North East US indie scene around the turn of the millennium. If you saw Jersey All Pro or ICW you probably saw them. Two pretty unremarkable wrestlers whose gimmick was a pretty exaggerated take on gay stereotypes. It's probably not the most offensive take on homosexuality in wrestling because wrestling is bad, but the way they were used kind of was. Specifically the way they were used in ROH. ROH starts in 2002, the show opens with this interminably long promo in a coach full of funs by Da Hit Squad talking about how this is real wrestling not dumb sports entertainment poo poo. And then the first segment of the very first ROH show, YMCA by The Village People comes on & out comes Buff-E, Mace & Allison Danger. Instantly the commentators are talking about how this isn't on the running order & ROH isn't about "people wearing boas or weird hats, it's about honour & discipline" & Steve Corino talks about "alternative lifestyles". The crowd start chanting a homophobic slur, Buff-E on the mic says to a heckler, "Young man, I might be gay but at least I'm not queer" which I don't even understand, then there's a line about it not being Ring of Honor but the Ring of Homosexuals & then they kiss. While the commentators act like they are witnessing someone being tortured to death, it's really loving bad. And then Da Hit Squad rush the ring and there's an impromptu match where The CSC are squashed, big suplexes & poo poo. "German suplexed on his big gay head" is a line uttered by a commentator. And then they put Allison Danger through a table on top rope powerbomb to huge face pops because hey, it's 2002 & you think wrestling fans are terrible today? Well they are but they were even worse then.

They actually ended up turning face eventually & it was a lot less awful, with fans volunteering on the barrier for kisses & stuff, but "heel because you're gay" combined with the entire presentation of it was just vile, and it did go on for a while, forget how long.

As an added bonus, trying to find a decent picture I came across their old Angelfire website because who doesn't love looking at Year 2000 web design: http://www.angelfire.com/wrestling/CSC/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Someone beat me to Bone Soldier :(

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

nWo 2000

A once mighty force that was now reduced to just a fraction of its former strength and coasting on its previous reputation while existing purely to push Jeff Jarrett as a main event? nWo 2000 was the perfect representation of WCW's final year.

13 spots left!

The only nWo I recognise.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Captain New Japan was the best comedy jobber gimmick and I will not have his name besmirched on this forum anymore

Now Bone Soldier, that was kinda poo poo, or at least the original version was. As Rarity mentioned, however, Taiji's version of it is good, so the gimmick isn't THAT bad.

Beaver Cleavage easily, because holy gently caress everything about that gimmick sucks.

It's not really the same gimmick though imo. Like, it's the same name but it's just Taiji Ishimori & he wears a mask to the ring & they teased they were making a big deal out of the return of OG Bone Soldier & that was funny & a great relief when it was revealed to not be him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tato posted:

Cesaro, Tyson Kidd, and Natalya don't get the credit deserved for helping get The New Day over. I don't blame the New Day for the issues with the original gimmick, Ferguson stuff literally happened almost the week after the first Xavier promo and WWE got skittish, so they flounderd and did nothing for months. They were absolutely dead in the water until Cesaro/Kidd started the "New-Day-Sucks" chant

Posting from pages back and off-topic but Claudio has to go down as one of the best tag wrestlers of his generation. Teams with Kidd and Sheamus were really fun and obviously The Kings of Wrestling is all-time great.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vandar posted:

Wh...what exactly am I looking at?

AEW employee Billy Gunn in TNA wearing blackface.

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/431840035323654144?s=19

Think Billy is meant to be D Von and Road Dogg is Bully Ray

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Feel like Yasuda deserves more of an explanation.

He was a sumo and didn't get in to pro wrestling until he was 30 & for the first 6 years or so of his career he was just a guy, he'd eat the fall in tag matches & making up the numbers in things like the G1. Won 0 matches in his first G1, 97, beat Big Titan in his next before losing to Kojima the next year (97 & 98 were knockout tournaments for some reason), lost every match in '99, & in '00 he got 2 wins, though one was over rookie Kenzo Suzuki. And then at some point Inoki decided to send him to the US for a bit with Kaz Fujita to do MMA training & he debuted in Pride & won his first fight! So obviously that's it, Inoki is in love. He came 2nd in his block in the 2001 G1 behind Nagata, picking up wins over Tatsumi Fujinami, Minoru Tanaka & Manabu Nakanishi before going to the semi-final & losing to Mutoh. Then at the New Years Eve Inoki Bom Ba Ye show that year he beat kickboxing legend Jerome Le Banner and a month later he won the IWGP HW title tournament, beating Nagata in the final.

In the scheme of things, a title reign with one successful title win, it doesn't seem that terrible but man. As an encapsulation of the Inokiism thing, it's a great example of a guy who just got pushed too hard because he got a good result in MMA despite not actually being all that over in wrestling. Very dumb.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I saw this show live at the peak of my MMA viewing & it was loving amazing. It was what felt like an 8 hour show & here's this weird long intermission bit with Inoki being crucified.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

KungFu Grip posted:

so youre telling me yasuda is the njpw jinder?

also if i remember right he literally did the finger poke of doom thing in a njpw angle with shibata?

fake edit: He did in the 2nd day in the 2003 G1 Climax

Can you even imagine how much people would melt down if this poo poo happened in a current G1? It's good when Bullet Club tease it but if Gedo actually pulled the trigger I'd weep.

As for Wato, it's a midcard gimmick. It seems dumb but I don't want to completely write it off until he's had a year in it. Basically it just seems too recent to be in the discussion for my tastes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ItohRespectArmy posted:

voting for kung funaki because it was the closest he ever got to a push

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SwrQSjeEGw&t=7s

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Isaac Yankem was utter dogshit & he was inserted into the seemingly 2 year long Jerry Lawler Bret Hart feud. Terrible gimmick

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mexicools is a lovely racist comedy gimmick thrust upon 3 very talented wrestlers, of course this wins

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Erainor posted:

Voted for the worst thing AEW ever did

Signing Lance Archer so I no longer get to see him isn't an option though?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Saba Simba was such a grotesque gimmick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I voted for ANTIAS and am just happy it is consigned to the dustbin of history

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

I wasn't watching at the time so can someone explain to me what exactly the Emmalina gimmick was meant to be? Like, I get the gist of it, but what about the promos was actually so bad as opposed to a lot of generic diva gimmicks WWE have done this century?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vince McMahon the person is a monstrous person who has done evil poo poo and turned a blind eye to other people's evil poo poo in his company. Mr McMahon the character was involved a lot of bad stuff like with Trish but he was also a very good heel authority character who WWE have spent the last 20 years desperately trying to replicate. He's one of the 3 most defining characters of Attitude Era WWF

I dunno if the good outweighs the bad or not but there is just too much good associated with the gimmick for it to hang here imo, even if Fake Trump and Rosie is too short lived and just weaksauce for me to get worked up about.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Better Than You posted:

Which one of LayCool was anorexic?

Michelle McCool was pretty open about having an eating disorder

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Zombie was a great way to introduce The Sandman to a broader audience & I stand by that.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is racist as gently caress but at least it's A reason, even if it's a lovely one. Is there any explanation for why they thought a balding goof who can't work or talk and everyone hated already would be a draw?

Vince thought women thought he was hot

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You can't say The Empire is bad within what, a month or there abouts of it debuting? That's recency bias taken to the extreme.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Doctor of Thuganomics was fun at least some of the time

Cancel Culture sounds like the drizzling shits

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Hornswoggle as Finlay's Little Bastard was alright.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

What's his excuse for continuing to do it to this day?

Because he knows its the only way anyone would book him, nostalgia for him WWE gimmick.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

LOD2K wins.

Okato is bad and dumb but hardly the first time TNA had great foreign wrestlers & did gently caress all with them. It's like their modus operandi. Meanwhile the alcoholism & the attempted murder, it's all gross.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gavok posted:

Fake Kane is one of my favorite bad gimmick/angles. I can't in good conscience vote for him.

What an amazing path. Taboo Tuesday puts Kane and Big Show into a tag team, they get a fun reign as champs, MAY 19TH happens, MAY 19TH passes, then Fake Kane happens and abruptly ends.

I still smirk quietly to myself every May 19th.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Heel Cole was the drizzling shits

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

You give me a chance to say something, anything, related to KISS is bad I am going to take it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Every time someone goes "actually it's an angle, not a gimmick" I vote for the angle

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The Yetay is primo Wrestlecrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ron Reis was in The Flock so can't be a bad wrestler