Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

socks, why the gently caress would anyone want to wear socks or invent socks? they are the most worthless thing on the planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Computers - I don’t get them. I mean, I can use one for work, even install components, but how do they REALLY work? What makes the computer do stuff I want it to do? How does internet get displayed on my monitor? I am truly clueless about this

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Computers - I don’t get them. I mean, I can use one for work, even install components, but how do they REALLY work? What makes the computer do stuff I want it to do? How does internet get displayed on my monitor? I am truly clueless about this

There's a microchip in there, which is quite literally a rock that humanity taught how to add by putting lightning inside of it, and it does that math very VERY quickly. There are other components generally based off of the first chip that do other specific things, like remember long sequences of numbers.

Doing math and remembering numbers are how we started with computers. Everything else is logic based on those two things.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

pixaal posted:

socks, why the gently caress would anyone want to wear socks or invent socks? they are the most worthless thing on the planet.

Ok, stank-foot

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't understand a lot of stuff about ammunition and guns. I play FPS video games with all these ammo types and I don't know what any of it means. 7.62x39? I dunno what that means, beyond the understanding that only certain guns will fire that kind of round. I know FMJ stands for Full Metal Jacket, I've seen the movie, but what does a full metal jacket mean?

Also, if you fire a pistol sideways, all gangsta style, does the recoil still kick it up or does it kick to the side?

Again, this is just from video games, but sometimes I look down a scope in a game and there's all these markings and symbols, and I don't know what any of them mean either. Why is it there? I just have to put the center dot on someone's face and click. I don't need all this extra stuff.

Also I don't understand women plz help

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I actually understand women perfectly. They don't understand me at all though because I'm so complicated.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Sewing machines mystify me. How does a thin little thread get passed and forth through two pieces of cloth? There's not a needle going back and forth like if you were hand stitching. What's going on there?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Dr Who

The Who

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Argyle Gargoyle posted:

- fuckin magnets

I originally laughed at Shaggy 2 Dope when he uttered those words but the more I know about magnetism the more I realize his attitude is correct. Just accept it as a miracle and be done with it. Afterwards he says that scientists lie and get him pissed and maybe that too is a good attitude towards academia.

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

Icochet posted:

Dr Who

The Who

Who are you talking about

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ZentraediElite posted:

Who are you talking about

The first baseman.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Icochet posted:

Dr Who

The Who

You mean The WHO? The World Health Organization?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I don't under the rules of cricket and rugby, yet millions and millions of people watch it. IDGI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Knitting Beetles posted:

I originally laughed at Shaggy 2 Dope when he uttered those words but the more I know about magnetism the more I realize his attitude is correct. Just accept it as a miracle and be done with it. Afterwards he says that scientists lie and get him pissed and maybe that too is a good attitude towards academia.

Please be careful with this. The vast majority of the scientific community keep each other in check (pretty much everything is peer-reviewed), which means that for something to be accepted as scientific fact, it passes a LOT of people. The likelihood of them all either lying or just being flat out honestly wrong is extremely low.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
The radio waves thing is strange to me as well, but also wifi and 4G. Like, I'm in my yard watching a video, the video data is in some sense flying though the air, right? The video is flying through the air but it's invisible.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just wait until you hear(heh) about soundwaves dude! Some incomprehensible ape screeching bouncing from the walls gets translated into, like, words and abstract ideas in your head but only if you have the right language installed

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

YeahTubaMike posted:

How to identify baseball pitches. Fastballs are fine, but sliders, changeups, breaking balls? No loving clue.

How computer games could be played on cassette tape.

I'm assuming health insurance & unemployment benefit policies are the same way.

Aside from Beetles and maybe Escalades, I don't think post-'00s cars are even meant to be identifiable without label-reading.

'80s, '90s, and '00s cars had character, drat it! :corsair:

Slider = generally faster (compared to a curve) tighter break. east-west or west-east type break normally
Curve = slower, loopier break. can be 12-6 break, or sometimes more slidery in break. if it's more like a slider it's sometimes called a slurve which is like a name for a pitch that's somewhere between a slider and a curve. im definitely confusing you even more typing this i apologize
Changeup = can have movement and look like a curve, so I can see how that would be confusing. The arm action should look the same as a fastball.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I don't understand how Vegas makes money on sports gambling. I'm often completely blown away by the accuracy of Vegas lines. I guess I don't understand whether their line is an actual prediction of the score, or is it slightly bent toward one direction to manipulate people into voting for the wrong team? Are there enough people who are lovely at betting?

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

one fun recurring part of my comp sci degree would be thinking I finally understood modern computers, then a professor would say something like, "of course this isn't how it actually works anymore". The truth is that it's magic.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

Uh. Because in the winter your feet get cold, in the summer your feet sweat. Unless you have big hairy feet that is.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

one fun recurring part of my comp sci degree would be thinking I finally understood modern computers, then a professor would say something like, "of course this isn't how it actually works anymore". The truth is that it's magic.

Thank you for your honesty, I knew it

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

This is embarrassing, but Connect 4.

I am normally pretty decent at figuring out working strategies in games, be they board or video, but it's like my brain has a blind spot when it comes to Connect 4 and I just can't figure out how to beat anyone of any kind of reasonable intelligence.

It's maddening.

Knitting Beetles
Feb 4, 2006

Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Please be careful with this. The vast majority of the scientific community keep each other in check (pretty much everything is peer-reviewed), which means that for something to be accepted as scientific fact, it passes a LOT of people. The likelihood of them all either lying or just being flat out honestly wrong is extremely low.

That seems reasonable but ICP lyrics are freely available and the scientific community puts all their research behind paywalls. What are they hiding?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

cool honeypot thread op

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Les Os posted:

to go along with cloud person, I don’t understand how rain isn’t crazy dirty if you’re living in a city and all the water is polluted. shouldn’t everyone be getting sick from rain?

We've seen and can trace atmospheric pollutants, to some degree, that then mix with rainwater, hit the land surface, and infiltrate aquifers. Acid rain is a good example of this.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Internetjack posted:

Sewing machines mystify me. How does a thin little thread get passed and forth through two pieces of cloth? There's not a needle going back and forth like if you were hand stitching. What's going on there?

I don't fully understand either but there's a second spool of thread underneath the machine so it's really 2 threads.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Human Emotions.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

popewiles posted:

This is embarrassing, but Connect 4.

I am normally pretty decent at figuring out working strategies in games, be they board or video, but it's like my brain has a blind spot when it comes to Connect 4 and I just can't figure out how to beat anyone of any kind of reasonable intelligence.

It's maddening.

It’s tic tac toe with extra steps, just go first?

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Peanut Butter. How can something that comes from a cow taste like peanuts?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Internetjack posted:

https://i.imgur.com/4GhvBet.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what foul devilry is this

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
What is wrong with me exactly? Like autism and borderline don't really fit when I read about them but I also know my head was hosed up from birth. A few symptoms match and I started having problems with friendships by 3rd grade and always was a brainy loner.

I'm curious like intellectually, I never did get therapy which I know was a mistake blah blah

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lol this doesn't help at all :saddowns:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lol this doesn't help at all :saddowns:

yeah I'm looking at it and I'm really bad at spatial relations it's but it seems like that loop should slip past, like through
????

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Spinz posted:

yeah I'm looking at it and I'm really bad at spatial relations it's but it seems like that loop should slip past, like through
????

think in 3D that piece is bent and moving around it. Tie your shoes really slowly and watch what you are actually doing.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Tom Gorman posted:

conversely, how toilets work without needing electricity.

i could google this mystery and solve it in like 15 seconds but I'm NOT GONNA DO IT

This is funny to me because I recently had to explain why both toilets and faucets work during a power outage to a friend in his mid 30s.

Apparently he never considered "gravity and U-joints" and was over-complicating things.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
If you saw it in 3D you'd understand or go mad, 50-50

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

YeahTubaMike posted:

How computer games could be played on cassette tape.

They were loaded from cassette, not directly played from. I always figured it was similar to how a dialup modem works

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Cloner of the Elks posted:

They were loaded from cassette, not directly played from. I always figured it was similar to how a dialup modem works

Uh...huh.

Okay then. :geno:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Actually computer cassette games weren't games at all, they just emitted a high pitch sound that caused your brain to hallucinate playing a game! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Speaking of cassette tapes, how about those cassette -> CD adapters we used in our cars in high school? How the gently caress?