Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Due to incredible demand for dogs, you basically don't have a chance at an adoption right now unless you get A) Pre-approved and B) Have a system set up that lets you complete applications for individual dogs within 5 minutes of them going online. To give you a reference of what you're competing against, one shelter that we had already been approved for told us they received over 400 applications for one litter. Have faith though, a lot of places don't even post puppies up for general adoption, they only show them to people who have been pre-approved, so there's more out there than you're even seeing.

I didn't start getting call-backs for dogs until I had compiled a word document of the answers to all the common questions on dog applications, so that when a dog appeared up for adoption I could just slam-copy-paste all the answers, my personal info, references, ect. Once I got it down to a point where I could get an application completed in ~2 minutes I began pretty obsessively refreshing all the relevant shelter websites/puppyfinder/my e-mail. If I saw a dog that had been available online for more than 5 minutes I didn't even bother. Once I had this system in place I started getting callbacks immediately, so it was pretty effective. At the time it felt obsessive, but honestly it felt like I was shouting into the void before I set it up and well, now I have a dope dog.

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

I think you're seriously underestimating A) How many people are trying to adopt animals right now due to covid and being stuck at home and B) how hard covid has affected shelters' ability to operate. There's nothing malicious about it, there's just a shitload of people trying to get pets and the people who are responsible for finding those pets homes are operating at a significantly reduced capacity. They just don't have the time to talk to anyone that they aren't giving a pet to.

What area are you in?

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Are you searching salt lake? Yeah it's a drive but in all likelihood you're going to take the first dog you actually get a chance to visit with because most shelters aren't bothering with in-persons until you're at the stage where you've already been approved.