Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, now I’m stuck on logging in now that the game is out for real. loving hilarious

Edit: never mind. Guess the servers are just borked

Edit 2: Still getting the instant crash to desktop. Could it be something tripping Denuvo?

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Picking up my physical at noon but unfortunately won’t get to play until Friday night probably. Could be worse

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently tons of people are gettings random CTDs thanks to Denuvo and "could not get ownership token" errors. So the game I clearly own I apparently don't own according to this server it's pinging. Wow, sick.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Cool, Uplay+ charged me twice for the subscription and then kicked me off saying that my payment wasn't processed and I can't access Uplay+ at all. No chat support available and when I try to open up a ticket I get a popup saying that they are aware and check back in a few days. :thumbsup:

Why do I always get suckered by Ubi? When will I learn?

Red Mundus fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 29, 2020

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I feel like the gameplay is really good and changing a few settings improved my FPS a lot (shadows mainly). The crashes suck but stopped happening for me once I disabled stuff like Riva Tuner and Discord overlay. I think the DRM just see's stuff hooking into the process and says close the game.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I am seeing like no performance difference when changing settings around on a 3080. In particular with DLSS. I'm probably gonna wait for a new driver or something because this doesn't feel right.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I am seeing like no performance difference when changing settings around on a 3080. In particular with DLSS. I'm probably gonna wait for a new driver or something because this doesn't feel right.

I'm seeing similar results to this. But it's hovering around 60FPS which is fine for this so I'm gonna go ahead and play because game is cool and good.

I haven't had a single crash. I don't have Afterburner or Rivatuner running, but do have Gigabytes AORUS engine thing on.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Supposed to be a patch tomorrow. Game is working for me finally after verifying my files. It’s definitely that Watch Dogs loop you know and love.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

yeah - supposed performance improvements and optimizations for RTX cards so people might want to wait till the weekend
https://twitter.com/watchdogsgame/status/1321653783928184834?s=20

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Trip report after about an hour on i5-6400, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070 8GB:

On Low settings it's alright on foot, but driving is pretty awful.
The voice acting is almost universally terrible.
The character models are amazingly ugly.

Haven't really played enough to form an opinion of the game itself, but these are just the things jumping out at me so far.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Okay saving appears to have broken completely for me now.

Turned off cloud saves even to make sure. Going to try a reinstall.

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
Nice of Ubisoft to let us beta test the PC version.

1 hour in and looking at abysmal performance driving with a GTX 1080, controller unresponsiveness after 15 minutes of play and audio issues.

Edit: Oh and a CTD after getting to the safehouse

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

crashed a couple time now so I think Ill wait for the patch

had some fun but the thing that stands out most to me is the annoying as hell dynamic camera when driving. whenever you steer the camera sways in the other direction like its being affected by g-forces in the car and it suckssss, especially combined with a less than stellar framerate

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

God is the story so far is loving abysmal and completely tone deaf and poorly timed.

I just got to a point where Albion are taking immigrants and political dissidents and selling them into slavery and they talk about how much better the old police were and you need to track down an ex cop to work with them.

In the year 2020 this poo poo does not fly.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still getting bombarded with crashes, no idea what's causing them, because it doesn't seem to be Denuvo anymore. Guess I have to wait for tomorrow's patch and cross my fingers.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

cheesetriangles posted:

God is the story so far is loving abysmal and completely tone deaf and poorly timed.

I just got to a point where Albion are taking immigrants and political dissidents and selling them into slavery and they talk about how much better the old police were and you need to track down an ex cop to work with them.

In the year 2020 this poo poo does not fly.
I don't know how often UK bobbies are shooting black people? ACAB but extra judicial police shootings aren't prolific the world over.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Taintrunner posted:

I'm still getting bombarded with crashes, no idea what's causing them, because it doesn't seem to be Denuvo anymore. Guess I have to wait for tomorrow's patch and cross my fingers.
I swear I have had some where the game claims to have lost internet connection then crashes despite the internet being up (not that I know wtf any of that has to do with crashing a game)

Qmass fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 29, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

crossposting with the gpu thread:

okay just did some testing on watch dogs legion. 8700K at 4.7GHz all core, gigabyte gaming oc 3080 (stock), 3000MHz ram

album: https://imgur.com/a/2ZkuB3F

i did try it with my manual OC to start, but on the 2nd test (Ultra + RT Ultra) it crashed mid-way through the benchmark. i figured it might be an OC issue so i reset to stock, yet still got a crash when benchmarking all of these settings

the hdr run was more an excuse to run a 2nd pass on the benchmarks for sanity checking. the closest i got to being CPU bound was 86%, otherwise it was entirely GPU bound

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ZombyDog posted:

I don't know how often UK bobbies are shooting black people? ACAB but extra judicial police shootings aren't prolific the world over.

Less often, but mostly because the UK rozzers don't routinely have guns.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

ZombyDog posted:

the met police are insanely racist as gently caress hth

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/oct/29/brothers-stopped-and-searched-over-a-fist-bump-to-sue-met-police

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Thank you for your service, beta tester Goons.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
What's the smartest move for buying this game?

I've got a PS4 and plan to eventually get a PS5 when it comes out, but I've also got a gaming PC with a GeForce GX 1660 Ti.

On the PS4 there's an option to buy a premium edition that lists the PS5 version as bundled in (as well as the usual season pass stuff), but then the PS4 description lists that a patch may be needed to play it on PS5.

Are Ubisoft basically releasing a dedicated PS4 version that can be patched to run on a PS5 and then a dedicated PS5 version that would be different to the patched PS4 version?

I'm not planning on upgrading my gaming PC for quite a while yet which is why I was leaning console, but the whole PS4/PS5 thing to me isn't clear.

I've just started playing Watch_dogs 2 so maybe i should just hold off on even buying the sodding game until i can get my hands on a PS5 next year.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Of that I have no doubt, but the premise of the game is that the Police have been replaced by armed PMCs, who don't even have to worry about being suspended with full pay while been shipped of to a different borough and probably getting a promotion along the way.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 29, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kin posted:

On the PS4 there's an option to buy a premium edition that lists the PS5 version as bundled in (as well as the usual season pass stuff), but then the PS4 description lists that a patch may be needed to play it on PS5.

Are Ubisoft basically releasing a dedicated PS4 version that can be patched to run on a PS5 and then a dedicated PS5 version that would be different to the patched PS4 version?

No, I believe they're saying that you get the PS4 version now, and it will patch into the PS5 version later if you get the premium version. They just aren't done with the PS5 stuff yet so it'll need a patch.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought I was being clever recruiting a construction worker to sneak into a restricted area, got caught immediately because I was not expecting 'uniform stealth' to be that easily seen through, and had to beat 3 guards unconscious with a giant wrench. A+ plan will use again.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kin posted:

From the sound of it, until they're a couple patches in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DGNZnfKYnU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's fun to play Pokemon with all the people. Even when you get a doctor or w/e at the back of your mind you are like "yeah but I can get a doctor with different abilities also"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Subjunctive posted:

No, I believe they're saying that you get the PS4 version now, and it will patch into the PS5 version later if you get the premium version. They just aren't done with the PS5 stuff yet so it'll need a patch.

So basically, buy the premium version to be eligible for the patch which upgrades it to the PS5 version and you're poo poo out of luck if you only buy the basic PS4 version?

I thought there was a huge outcry against Control for doing that very thing?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Kin posted:

I subscribed to Ubisoft+ for a month to play this because it is very much the same chaos simulator as Watchdogs 2 was, which means it will be fun figuring out how to gently caress with everything and what kind of interactions you can make happen between your tech, enemies, civilians, and environmental hazards. After that it'll probably get dull because the lack of a 'real' cast outside of your cocky AI and computer-lady is already kind of disappointing, and people have already commented about how the plot wants to be seen as radical but is hamstrung by it's own requirements of being a triple-AAA open-world game ("fight fascism by doing these discrete tasks in different London boroughs, after which authoritarianism is magically destroyed") and it's politics being very wishy-washy ("fight fascism zone-by-zone by tearing down a big propaganda poster and convincing people to wear cooler t-shirts").

Pierson fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 29, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kin posted:

So basically, buy the premium version to be eligible for the patch which upgrades it to the PS5 version and you're poo poo out of luck if you only buy the basic PS4 version?

That's my understanding, yes. I don't recall the Control situation, but I think charging extra for the PS5/XSX variants is pretty common, whether you do it by buying the only-PS5 version or the PS4 version with a kicker. CDPR made a biggish deal of their next-gen upgrades being free, in contrast.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kin posted:

No what Control did was make no way to upgrade at all if you had the original version, without buying the game all over again as the Ultimate edition.

Watch Dogs you can presumably just buy the premium upgrade as DLC if you bought the basic.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
There is a driver for Watch Dogs for nVidia now. When I played yesterday with a 3080 I struggled to get 60 frames, even turning a lot of things down so curious if this helps.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro posted:

Okay saving appears to have broken completely for me now.

Turned off cloud saves even to make sure. Going to try a reinstall.

Reinstall fixed it for a little while but what it seems to be is that the game just doesn't kick the proper triggers in for returning to main menu. It'll "freeze" on the in game menu for a couple minutes, return me to the game, and then apparently quit properly a few minutes after.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Rusty posted:

There is a driver for Watch Dogs for nVidia now. When I played yesterday with a 3080 I struggled to get 60 frames, even turning a lot of things down so curious if this helps.
i checked 4 different profiles (Native, DLSS Perf, RT Ultra, DLSS Perf+RT Ultra) all within margin of error of before the driver update. maybe it helps if you're cpu-bound?

it's ubisoft don't expect their update tomorrow to shift things much more imo

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Kin posted:

I bought WD:L online last night (still not played it) and the list of features for all the versions said that the PS5 upgrade was available on all versions, including the standard one.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i checked 4 different profiles (Native, DLSS Perf, RT Ultra, DLSS Perf+RT Ultra) all within margin of error of before the driver update. maybe it helps if you're cpu-bound?

it's ubisoft don't expect their update tomorrow to shift things much more imo
Yeah I tried it, no difference. Also playing around with the setting barely moves the FPS so I'll just live with it, it isn't terrible.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm getting fine FPS running a mix of High/Medium settings on a 970 so :v: no CTDs either.
Audio cuts for a split second when switching from Keyboard to Controller and back though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah the latter is mentioned in the patch notes and should be fixed tomorrow.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are the takedowns in Legion non-lethal or are you icing those poor fools? Gamefly sent out the game yesterday so I'm looking forward to giving it a go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
They range from what looks like a knockout punch to non-lethally bending a guy over backward and snapping their neck, sooo...