Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

You're now further than I ever got with this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

As a professional software engineer, I can merely assert that nearly all software sucks. Some is better, some is worse, but knowing how the sausage gets made is somewhat frightening.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Libluini posted:

Or burning down the machine. Our company builds sensors and transmitters, and as a tech writer, I always have to listen to our engineers and programmers about how a lot of our hardware code is mind-numbingly buggy. Stuff like the code taking the electric signal at the input and going through several mathematical transformations our R&D can't actually understand the purpose of, before giving the (mostly) expected output. The the programmer for that software left the company, you see. But apparently the chip doesn't work if that part of the code is removed, and since the alternative would be redoing everything and we don't have the time or people for that, welp.

This leads to ongoing problems when the chip suddenly decides to not give the expected result during testing. :shepface:

I used to work as s/w engineer for a hardware company. Everything was like this. Though the main problem was the "we don't have the time or people for that" part. We never did, so it was never made right, and never had time to do even the most basic of fixes. Plus we let EEs program sometimes, and EEs can't program, even if it looks like they can.