Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
What even "is" free will? I am completely unqualified to answer this. One framework says that to have free will you need the freedom to do otherwise and self-determination. Which is great, until you realize now you need to determine what it means to self-determine. Self-determination theory suggests you need autonomy, (you can be causal) competence, (control the outcome and experience mastery) and Relatedness (Will *internal screaming intensifies* to interact with, be connected to, and experience caring for others.) At this point I give up and say that if you can pass the Mirror Test you are sentient, and therefore have free will. Humans start passing at around 18 months, so I say at 18 months humans have free will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU