Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Birdman
Oct 21, 2012

Yeah, I think this whole question is coming from a false premise and an incorrect idea of how dogs work. Dog training has actually helped me a lot to understand my own needs and impulses- like how punishment is not a very good tool, and counterconditioning to reinforce a better alternative behavior is a healthier and more effective choice!

It's also helpful to realize that dogs are a BROAD category. "Instincts" vary a lot by breed, but breeds are an artificial construct. We create useful working breeds by choosing for optimal brain chemistry, really- you cultivate the dogs who get the happy chemicals and enjoy the task you want them to perform. You want training with the positive reinforcement to be as easy as possible. The dog needs to WANT to do the job they're assigned, or else they won't be very useful. Not every dog in the breed will have the traits you want, but the chances should be good. Hence, plenty of dogs totally WON'T fetch a ball, because it's not something that's fun to them. You can maybe teach them by finding something else rewarding to encourage them to do it anyways, but it is by no means an automatic programmed behavior in all dogs.

Learning all this stuff about dogs has helped me accept and work WITH my own brain and things like ADHD, and not against it. The way this question is posed, I think by "free will," here we're more talking "self-awareness" or maybe "mindfulness..." The ability to try to understand what does motivate our behavior and why.

dogs are cool

edit: oh man actually, I def recommend reading about sled dogs for a good example of a dog that is cultivated explicitly TO have some free will as defined here! A dog that will refuse your orders when it knows better is a dog that won't cross ice you don't realize is too thin, and can save your rear end!!

Harvey Birdman fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU