Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Is there a recommended hypervisor for Linux for “hobby” use? I have ended up with some pretty powerful towers (24 cores/128GB RAM) that like like to segment. Initial searching says KVM is probably what I want but thought I’d ask here too. I don’t want to pay for three VMWare licenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think most people in your shoes would probably install proxmox and whatever it has.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
That looks awesome thank you!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Depending on what your goal is, you can get a VMUG advantage license for $200/yr to cover all three servers and get access to basically every vcenter feature. If your goal is to learn virtualization, I’d recommend looking into it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cyks posted:

Depending on what your goal is, you can get a VMUG advantage license for $200/yr to cover all three servers and get access to basically every vcenter feature. If your goal is to learn virtualization, I’d recommend looking into it.

Until Broadcom provides real actionable guidance on VMware future i would put investment of any kind on hold. I'm scrapping my couple of vmware test nodes(they only were spun up for upgrade testing as every other role was relocated to my QNAP NAS) as I'm typing and selling the parts to mates.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Ugh, my IPMI reporting is telling me that my CPU temp is pinned at 169C, and is filling up the system event log. However in the TrueNAS UI, I see totally normal temperatures for the CPU hanging out around 38C. This is an obvious cause for concern but now I'm curious why the reporting would be so different between TrueNAS/FreeBSD and the IPMI sensor. Seems like whatever sensor on the board that IPMI is using is broken, since the temperature doesn't fluctuate at all? The board/CPU/RAM are all pushing 9+ years old now so maybe it's just starting to fail, but was curious if the thread had any ideas before I start to think about replacing the NAS.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

withoutclass posted:

Ugh, my IPMI reporting is telling me that my CPU temp is pinned at 169C, and is filling up the system event log. However in the TrueNAS UI, I see totally normal temperatures for the CPU hanging out around 38C. This is an obvious cause for concern but now I'm curious why the reporting would be so different between TrueNAS/FreeBSD and the IPMI sensor. Seems like whatever sensor on the board that IPMI is using is broken, since the temperature doesn't fluctuate at all? The board/CPU/RAM are all pushing 9+ years old now so maybe it's just starting to fail, but was curious if the thread had any ideas before I start to think about replacing the NAS.
Best guess would be to check for firmware updates for the OOB BMC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man speaking of OOB, one of the IME configs on my m93p USFF nodes just up and reset itself to unprovisioned. And of course this is after I scrapped my spare small monitors and keyboards since “whoo boy I have IME KVM now why would I ever need to connect to the machine directly again??”.

How much fun is it dragging a big chonker of a monitor to your basement and fiddling around trying to plug it into a tight space? Not much fun, it turns out!

All because I wanted to interact with the PXE boot menu to load a new talos image. I need to be more sensible :|

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I picked up a VRTX Chassis and blades as part of my housewarming gift to myself.

It came with 12 x 4TB SAS disks in the 3.5" bays too. Fun times afoot.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
House...warming. indeed!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

What's the best way to measure power draw? I'm thinking about repurposing an old desktop PC as a server, but I don't want to leave it running all the time without knowing how expensive that would be.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Music Theory posted:

What's the best way to measure power draw? I'm thinking about repurposing an old desktop PC as a server, but I don't want to leave it running all the time without knowing how expensive that would be.

Kill-a-watt

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

CommieGIR posted:

I picked up a VRTX Chassis and blades as part of my housewarming gift to myself.

It came with 12 x 4TB SAS disks in the 3.5" bays too. Fun times afoot.

Hi fellow VRTX nerd! Tell us about your blades! And what network plug in did you have?

I went for a 25 bay model that I’m slowly populating with drives as need requires.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Cool, thanks

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nystral posted:

Hi fellow VRTX nerd! Tell us about your blades! And what network plug in did you have?

I went for a 25 bay model that I’m slowly populating with drives as need requires.

2 x M630s and an M915. Haven't had time to get it fully configured.

I have the 1GB Ethernet switch in it right now

EDIT: Played with it today, sadly while the M915 shows up and populates, the VRTX CMC will not allow it to boot :smith:
Threw a couple M620s in its place.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 19, 2022

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
Might be a question for the virtualization / SMB thread. I'm playing around with proxmox. For now I have one server which I intend to host my VMs and storage on. I've got a ZFS pool made.

I have a Windows Server license which I want to use in a VM but my question is how to get it to access the ZFS storage. Sure, I could simply use samba shares, but is this really best practise? Is it not cleaner for Windows to manage the shares / ACLs as it's hosting the domain?
The thought of a multi-terabyte VHD on the ZFS pool scares the poo poo out of me, but it would make snapshots and backups ridiculously simple.

What's best practise here?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Your other options are passing the drive directly to the vm. Either as a block device or with pci passthrough on an HBA card.

I have no idea what filesystems windows server supports and haven't tried passing a zpool to a vm.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Might be a question for the virtualization / SMB thread. I'm playing around with proxmox. For now I have one server which I intend to host my VMs and storage on. I've got a ZFS pool made.

I have a Windows Server license which I want to use in a VM but my question is how to get it to access the ZFS storage. Sure, I could simply use samba shares, but is this really best practise? Is it not cleaner for Windows to manage the shares / ACLs as it's hosting the domain?
The thought of a multi-terabyte VHD on the ZFS pool scares the poo poo out of me, but it would make snapshots and backups ridiculously simple.

You need to share SMB or NFS for the disk to live on, or iSCSI if you feel up to Block devices. Its going to be an absolute pain to share the plan ZFS pool to a VM and I wouldn't do that. You need to provide a Network Share to mount. Then using Proxmox create a virtual disk within the share.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 20, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Speaking of Proxmox, is there a term for preconfigured VM images that are ready to go on provisioning similar to raspberry pi images? I’ve been manually setting up Ubuntu images with an ansible user that I can use to do whatever and making that a template but if there is a better way I’d be interested in hearing it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Fruit Smoothies posted:

Mine was an ansible script that I should clean up and make prod ready that'd do a zfs list, and then create an lxc with all of the mount points found there, configure samba with those mount points, configure nfs to export them, and then update the config of a few other machines to mount them.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

Warbird posted:

Speaking of Proxmox, is there a term for preconfigured VM images that are ready to go on provisioning similar to raspberry pi images? I’ve been manually setting up Ubuntu images with an ansible user that I can use to do whatever and making that a template but if there is a better way I’d be interested in hearing it.

Most dists have ready made cloud images that you configure with cloud-init.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ah perfect, thank you.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Mine was an ansible script that I should clean up and make prod ready that'd do a zfs list, and then create an lxc with all of the mount points found there, configure samba with those mount points, configure nfs to export them, and then update the config of a few other machines to mount them.

I would be intrigued by this; the LXCs basically save you the pain of spinning up full VMs for overhead of sharing? How do you do ACLs / perms?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I also need to figure out these permissions mappings for LXC containers so I can stop using privileged containers for everything like an idiot. These guides I find fall apart when I'm trying to bind to ldap users with an ID several orders of magnitude higher than 65000.

Also I suppose I would like to find a way to integrate kinit for various accounts nicely without having to set up kerberos in every container.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 25, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

movax posted:

I would be intrigued by this; the LXCs basically save you the pain of spinning up full VMs for overhead of sharing? How do you do ACLs / perms?

yes, it's the default of proxmox to use an LXC instead of a full VM. ACLs / perms are really rudamentary because it's local lan for my homelab.

looks something like:
code:
  - name: Update /etc/exports
    lineinfile:
      dest: /etc/exports
      regex: '({{item}}) 192.168'
      line: "/mnt{{item}} 192.168.0.0/16(rw,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash)"
    with_items: "{{ mounts }}"
    register: exports

- name: Create users
    user:
      name: "{{ item['name'] }}"
      password: "{{ item['unix_password'] }}"
      append: yes
    become: true
    with_items: "{{ users }}"

- name: Create samba users
    include_tasks: playbooks/tasks/sambausers.yml
    with_items: "{{ users }}"

- name: Add Shares to Samba
    blockinfile:
      path: /etc/samba/smb.conf
      marker: "# {mark} ANSIBLE MANAGED BLOCK {{item|basename}}"
      block: |
        [{{item|basename}}]
        path = /mnt{{item}}
        valid users = {{ users | map(attribute='name') | list | join(',')}}
        read only = no
        browseable = yes
        writeable = yes
        public = yes
        create mask = 0777
        directory mask = 0777
    with_items: "{{ mounts }}"
Each proxmox server in the cluster has an LXC that has that applied to in order to export all of the shares via nfs and samba.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Well my self-hosted services died along with the old laptop they were hosted on when it failed to post after a routine reboot. On the plus side I did validate my recovery procedure and backups like two months ago and it worked flawlessly after getting in a small $150 Optiplex to replace it so go me.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well my self-hosted services died along with the old laptop they were hosted on when it failed to post after a routine reboot. On the plus side I did validate my recovery procedure and backups like two months ago and it worked flawlessly after getting in a small $150 Optiplex to replace it so go me.

When your backups and recovery procedures do actually work 😌 😌 😌

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Nitrousoxide posted:

Good on you for validating the recovery procedure, glad to hear you are back up and running! Now you are ready for the SOC2 audit

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Taking my Gen8 ProLiant up to 384GB in a few days, thinking about putting /usr/obj on a RAM disk. Should I mirror /usr/src and /usr/xsrc to RAM disk too, or leave them on SSD?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Unless you're doing shitloads of building in parallel and have high memory pressure because each compiler process is taking up a lot of memory, you shouldn't be able to exhaust the IOPS rate of a modern SSD and kill warm caches at the same time respectively - and in that case, I'm not sure tmpfs(5) is the solution.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004
Any opinions or experience with Fortigate firewalls in a homelab environment? They were recommended in the Cisco megathread as a good step up from Ubiquiti, but I don't have any experience with the platform.

Looks like I can get a Fortigate 300D for around $200, is this a reasonable choice to move into something more enterprise-grade?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Juniper SRX-series devices with JunOS is also hard to go wrong with.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Sonicwall! :dance:

Seriously though- the NSA4500 has been my workhorse for a gazillion years

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

fatman1683 posted:

Any opinions or experience with Fortigate firewalls in a homelab environment? They were recommended in the Cisco megathread as a good step up from Ubiquiti, but I don't have any experience with the platform.

Looks like I can get a Fortigate 300D for around $200, is this a reasonable choice to move into something more enterprise-grade?

It's fine but is probably stuck on 6.x code (7.x is the latest). You also won't get any fancy UTM feature like application based anything or IPS/IDS etc without a Forticare subscription. But it will work fine for layer 3/4 firewalling, routing (and dynamic routing protocols), VDOMs etc without a license.

I use a 200D to manage my lab and it's more than fine for me without a license.

Edit: saw your other posts. IPSEC stuff will work without a license no worries but unsure on their SDWAN stuff. Might half work without application based rules perhaps.

Aware fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 22, 2022

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

fatman1683 posted:

We run fortigate on prod, they seems nice but it looks like running them without a stable stream of updates is sorta bad. Try making sure the units you purchase are at least on the latest stable branch for that chassis type.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have mixed feelings about Fortigate. They are fairly easy to work with, but reliability of SOHO units was really really hit or miss when I worked with them primarily in 2013-2015. Anecdotally, I dealt with a LOT of RMAs to our field offices and it was a huge hassle, but when they worked it was fine. The biggest culprit was corrupt storage. I can’t think of a failure that didn’t involve internal storage becoming unusable.

For a homelab I think going with Fortigate/Palo Alto/Juniper/etc or anything that requires subscriptions or enablement keys for upgrades is a miss, but if you’re looking for something with the same form factor and basic functionality and aren’t exposing it to the outside world and you really just want something with a pretty UI that you can manage then it’s probably not a big deal. TBH I’d put that 200 toward an USFF 1L PC and PFsense or something but that’s just me.

My recommendation would be “don’t, unless you have a reason to”, but I also don’t think your world will fall apart if you do.

I have a Palo Alto PA-220 over my homelab because it was a vendor freebie but if I didn’t I’d probably go with what I said above. Some kind of USFF w/pfsense if I could deal with VLAN routing, or maybe a SFF PC if I legitimately needed more ports or 10gb or something.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 22, 2022

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Pfsense on uSFF + vlans is a pretty easy way to solve it, I wouldn't bother with an appliance from any of the big vendors, and absolutely nothing that requires recurring licenses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pfsense or OPNsense is my goto

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I will say this though:

I can totally get behind just wanting a legit "big boy" vendor appliance because it's fun, or if you actually want to build some muscle memory in a interface/tool you use at work or something.

I absolutely won't shame anyone who wants to cosplay an enterprise network, and I say that without any snark. I only caution anyone who does, to have realistic expectations and that you'll probably get more bang for your buck and longevity from something simpler.

I'm the guy who shelled out thousands of dollars on Cisco gear back in the day instead of going with GNS because I thought it was cool and fun to get your hands on enterprise gear, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

If you want something cheap, capable, and totally useless to learn get whatever Mikrotik has the ports you need. After years of recycled enterprise gear my actual home network is now routed and switched by several of those pieces of junk. Quiet, cheap, reliable, capable, no recurring licenses, free updates.