Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a single power solution to run multiple NUCs off a single power source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Gyshall posted:

Is there a single power solution to run multiple NUCs off a single power source?

They use 19V power bricks right? It may be a challenge finding a 19V supply that will output enough power for multiple. You could try to hack up an ATX supply with boost converters to get 19V from the 12V rail but I don't recommend it.

At one point I used one of these 12V supplies (not exact one but same style) to power all my 12V gizmos instead of a strip with wall warts. It worked pretty well.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Gyshall posted:

How much do you want to spend? DC lab power supplies would work, but not cheap. Or could do something like this AC/DC supply in a case / box somewhere.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
They take 12v-19v? iirc. There is even a company that will sell you a kit it you want it.

Also a smattering of Reddit postings on it.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 7, 2021

movax
Aug 30, 2008

freeasinbeer posted:

They take 12v-19v? iirc. There is even a company that will sell you a kit it you want it.

Also a smattering of Reddit postings on it.

Oh if they take 12 V, a high-end ATX supply would fit the bill just right. We used those to power our R&D / HPC backplanes for Opteron / Xeon / FPGA blades because they were so goddamned cheap, high current and still tightly regulated. Plenty of AC/DC 12 V bricks on Digi-Key that would work, and trim the voltage up a bit to compensate for harness loss.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
I'm in the process of upgrading my "home lab" from a bunch of computers on lovely shelves, to a bunch of lovely computers on a rack. So, I looked around my area and only found very expensive 42U racks and I know for a fact that I don't need more than 25U (haven't for the last 15 years, not gonna start now). So I bought a 25U, open case, bare bones StarTech rack, brand new ( tiny bit less than the price of a used 42U IBM something rack).

I assembled it today:

There is one little bit of an issue though:

Did I mount it wrong? Screwed the wrong screws in the wrong holes? Is it just to be expected for the holes to not quite align? Never assembled a rack before in my life so I don't quite know what's acceptable and what's not.
If I did everything/anything wrong, now's the time to fix it, before I put anything in it.

Volguus fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 10, 2021

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
That ain't right.

Check all the corners with a square to check your construction, and measure the distance from the edges to the holes to check star-tech's construction.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is one of the brackets backwards?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Thanks for making me work on it. Once you mentioned the square, duh, :slaps-forehead: made sense. It took a bit but I made it now almost perfect:

Now that I got that covered, gonna have to get a rack mountable case to move my gateway into it (have a i3-4350 CPU on an ASUS MB, which I think it's micro-ITX). Been looking at https://www.newegg.ca/black-rosewill-rsv-z2600/p/N82E16811147180 as being decent enough for my needs. It mentions that it supports 9.6 x 9.6 Micro-ATX, and the case I have right now is 9.5 inches wide, which gives me hope that it's gonna fit just fine. Oh, and I assume I have to get rails as well, right? As hanging the case only from its front screws doesn't seem safe.

Next I presume a power bar is in order. And a shelf for the switch. I thought mine was rack mountable, but it turns out that I'm wrong and it's only 1ft wide. On a shelf it goes (unless I determine that getting a rack mountable 1GB switch is cheaper.).

Volguus fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 18, 2021

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Volguus posted:

And a shelf for the switch. I thought mine was rack mountable, but it turns out that I'm wrong and it's only 1ft wide. On a shelf it goes (unless I determine that getting a rack mountable 1GB switch is cheaper.).

I've seen super-wide "ears" for mounting smaller (and lighter) switches in racks. You might could go that route.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Thought Angus had found some more new material written with Malcom before he passed; disappointed 😢.

#PWER UP AMERICA!!!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I need some help, maybe someone can direct me:

I have a 21 year old that isn't in college because of Covid. Typical for right now maybe. I got the idea that I should build a homelab box (or buy one) for my kid to get down and dirty with admining linux and whatever else. I could of course just buy whatever PC and use that but I figure I should get some real enterprise hardware so he can dive into that world. I'd love some recommendations for a retired enterprise rackmount server type box. I know the fan noise can be a real pain, and although the box would be living in my garage, I still do things in said garage and would be unhappy if there was a vacuum cleaner noise raping my ears all the time. Also, a non-extreme amount of power usage would be nice.

If it matters, I'd prefer something not extremely old. Like a decent amount of memories, maybe 64GB. Probably aiming at Linux rather than Windows.

Many thanks!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
No reason why you couldn't get to tinkering with old off lease PCs but there are a host of good servers you could get for pretty cheap. Power efficiency obviously will be a bigger compromise but many 5-7 year old servers can be had for under $300.

I've used Labgopher to hunt stuff down before.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

redeyes posted:

I need some help, maybe someone can direct me:

I have a 21 year old that isn't in college because of Covid. Typical for right now maybe. I got the idea that I should build a homelab box (or buy one) for my kid to get down and dirty with admining linux and whatever else. I could of course just buy whatever PC and use that but I figure I should get some real enterprise hardware so he can dive into that world. I'd love some recommendations for a retired enterprise rackmount server type box. I know the fan noise can be a real pain, and although the box would be living in my garage, I still do things in said garage and would be unhappy if there was a vacuum cleaner noise raping my ears all the time. Also, a non-extreme amount of power usage would be nice.

If it matters, I'd prefer something not extremely old. Like a decent amount of memories, maybe 64GB. Probably aiming at Linux rather than Windows.

Many thanks!

Buy your 21 year old an account and let us give him the brainworms. We could also give homelab advice too, I suppose.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What about a modern atom chip? Maybe the C3700 series? Those really sip power and come in an integrated chip and board combo. They also run really quiet since you don’t need a powerful fan for them. Just pop them in a 3 or 4U rack so you can get bigger fans with lower RPMs.

Something like this: https://youtu.be/J9pHMSaHhiI

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I would buy an i5/i7 SFF PC (not the super tiny ones) and put 16GB of RAM in it, and two cheap SSD's. Dell 7010 for example

Install vmware esx on it, play with VM's to your hearts content. Add a dual-port NIC from eBay for $15 and you can use it to do pfsense etc

Another good one to buy are the really small computers, like a Lenovo M73

You can't put as much RAM in them, and they usually only hold a single drive, but they are cheap, small, quiet...good for plopping Linux or whatever on. We gave a bunch of them away at work when we did a hardware replacement. Also kind of nice if you have a couple of those and then a $50 24 port gigabit switch (hp 2530 or something), you can play with vlans and all that

Basically just look for cheap dell/hp/lenovo business computers

I'd say the only thing you get from using a server vs a desktop is capability to add a ton of drives in RAID (which will probably be expensive to buy) and you can use idrac/ilo cards. They're usually loud, slow, blah blah. just generally annoying

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Bob Morales posted:

I'd say the only thing you get from using a server vs a desktop is capability to add a ton of drives in RAID (which will probably be expensive to buy) and you can use idrac/ilo cards. They're usually loud, slow, blah blah. just generally annoying

Agree with all of this, and would add that large-scale data storage isn't done on RAID anymore, anyway. It's all distributed filesystems.

Also, what does the 21 year-old want, anyway? Are they interested in network/systems engineering?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Bob Morales posted:

I would buy an i5/i7 SFF PC (not the super tiny ones) and put 16GB of RAM in it, and two cheap SSD's. Dell 7010 for example

Install vmware esx on it, play with VM's to your hearts content. Add a dual-port NIC from eBay for $15 and you can use it to do pfsense etc

Another good one to buy are the really small computers, like a Lenovo M73

You can't put as much RAM in them, and they usually only hold a single drive, but they are cheap, small, quiet...good for plopping Linux or whatever on. We gave a bunch of them away at work when we did a hardware replacement. Also kind of nice if you have a couple of those and then a $50 24 port gigabit switch (hp 2530 or something), you can play with vlans and all that

Basically just look for cheap dell/hp/lenovo business computers

I guess it depends on what he wants to do. If he's looking to be getting experience with Enterprise hardware including things like being able to turn on servers from the off state through the network interface then he will need more than just a consumer computer with a server installed on it.

I don't think you need to spend a lot of money on the Enterprise hardware. if you're not deploying something for real it doesn't really matter as long as you have enough RAM to run as many VMS or containerized applications. but if you want to be able to do things like hypervisor clusters or SAN or NAS setups than he may need something more.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 20, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Dell USFF 3050:

Can squeeze 16-32GB of RAM in it, a decent i7, an M2 and a 2.5" SATA, and you can get them cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/dell-optiplex-3050-micro-No-HDD/393091478140?hash=item5b8613f27c:g:pcEAAOSwKDlf-7yA

If you want an actual Enterprise server, find a 2U Dell R710/R720, you can get them for under $300 and they are very expandable.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Big fan of the small form factor boxes for home labs. I've got a Lenovo m75q and an HP ProDesk 600 G5 SFF, migrating away from a couple aging NUCs.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Wasn't sure which thread this question belonged in, seemed like homelabs might be the right place?

I'm building a little 1U personal server for colocation. Ideally a 200W system to minimize the monthly. Hoping to get 6+ years out of it, and specs wise I think this should get me there. Maybe pushing it on the life of the drives but they won't be storing anything mission critical. Here's what I was thinking:

I wasn't sure about cooling for systems like these, maybe swap the E-2288G (95W) for E-2278G (80W) if that's an issue? I figured since I'm gonna have it for awhile, might as well get the top dog CPU it supports for a $50 difference. Never used Wiredzone before but they seem to have good selection & prices.

EDIT: Turns out this system doesn't support 8 core CPUs! Had to swap the E-2288G for a E-2268G 6 core CPU.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 6, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fletcher posted:

Wasn't sure which thread this question belonged in, seemed like homelabs might be the right place?

I'm building a little 1U personal server for colocation. Ideally a 200W system to minimize the monthly. Hoping to get 6+ years out of it, and specs wise I think this should get me there. Maybe pushing it on the life of the drives but they won't be storing anything mission critical. Here's what I was thinking:

I wasn't sure about cooling for systems like these, maybe swap the E-2288G (95W) for E-2278G (80W) if that's an issue? I figured since I'm gonna have it for awhile, might as well get the top dog CPU it supports for a $50 difference. Never used Wiredzone before but they seem to have good selection & prices.

I'd just point out you can get a Threadripper with the same core count for half that cost, otherwise its a nice setup. For $100 less you can get the 12 core Threadripper, yeah it'll be more power consumption, but should give you more bang for your buck.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CommieGIR posted:

I'd just point out you can get a Threadripper with the same core count for half that cost, otherwise its a nice setup. For $100 less you can get the 12 core Threadripper, yeah it'll be more power consumption, but should give you more bang for your buck.

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like the 1920X has a TDP of 180W and if I go from 200W to 350W on the build it will cost me an extra $40/mo with the colo, so it wouldn't be long before the $100 in initial savings is eaten up :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

fletcher posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Looks like the 1920X has a TDP of 180W and if I go from 200W to 350W on the build it will cost me an extra $40/mo with the colo, so it wouldn't be long before the $100 in initial savings is eaten up :(

Fair enough, its a nice build overall then!

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

fletcher posted:

Last time I looked into doing something similar (1u with 4 big LFF drives) I came to the conclusion that just getting a new HPE stock config Smart Buy and just adding RAM after the fact.

Also it's always worth Googling to see how much these units actually draw in power, people tend to massively overestimate what their power usage will be

Just because a server comes with a 500w PSU doesn't mean it's expected to pull that much power, some of that is extra capacity for the people pulling 75w on each pcie slot while at full cpu load

Also, if I can ask, who will this be colo'd with

text editor fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 25, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

text editor posted:

Last time I looked into doing something similar (1u with 4 big LFF drives) I came to the conclusion that just getting a new HPE stock config Smart Buy and just adding RAM after the fact.

Also it's always worth Googling to see how much these units actually draw in power, people tend to massively overestimate what their power usage will be

Just because a server comes with a 500w PSU doesn't mean it's expected to pull that much power, some of that is extra capacity for the people pulling 75w on each pcie slot while at full cpu load

Also, if I can ask, who will this be colo'd with

What is "HPE stock config Smart Buy" ?

https://dedicated.com/los-angeles-colocation is the colo I was looking at. Since the plan is for 1A/208V I figured the best way to guarantee I am under that is with a 200W build.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

lol HPE's website shows their DL servers 'fulfilled by TigerDirect'

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

fletcher posted:

What is "HPE stock config Smart Buy" ?

https://dedicated.com/los-angeles-colocation is the colo I was looking at. Since the plan is for 1A/208V I figured the best way to guarantee I am under that is with a 200W build.

HPE has a "Smart Buy" line that they sell through a handful of partner channels ( I believe CDW, Ingram Micro, various VARs) that are cheaper than equivalent servers sold on their main site buy a bit, but come with a set of fixed configs and little variance on warranty offerings beyond simple part replacement

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fletcher posted:

Judging from the storage configuration, you've got a little off-site NAS type thing going -- I did something similar but w/ a MiniPC (ASRock DeskMini H310) to co-lo at EndOffice for cheap. It only takes 2.5" drives though, so I put a pair of used datacenter 7.68 TB SATA drives in there. ESXi host w/ pfSense firewall (WireGuard / OpenVPN endpoints planned), FreeNAS storage VM and then Fedora VM for running files and services.

I think they do Synology / QNAP hosting too if you want, so you could get one of the little 2 bay guys and ship it to them if you don't care about the CPU power as much.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finally got a Rackmount KVM that actually included rails.....but no power supply.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

CommieGIR posted:

Dell USFF 3050:

Can squeeze 16-32GB of RAM in it, a decent i7, an M2 and a 2.5" SATA, and you can get them cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/dell-optiplex-3050-micro-No-HDD/393091478140?hash=item5b8613f27c:g:pcEAAOSwKDlf-7yA

If you want an actual Enterprise server, find a 2U Dell R710/R720, you can get them for under $300 and they are very expandable.

I have a couple of i7/16GB 3070s that work great. One is my esxi host that handles pihole, milestone, and my unfi controller. It will likely have a short life, the fan on it is going quite a bit due to the nvr CPU load.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

Judging from the storage configuration, you've got a little off-site NAS type thing going -- I did something similar but w/ a MiniPC (ASRock DeskMini H310) to co-lo at EndOffice for cheap. It only takes 2.5" drives though, so I put a pair of used datacenter 7.68 TB SATA drives in there. ESXi host w/ pfSense firewall (WireGuard / OpenVPN endpoints planned), FreeNAS storage VM and then Fedora VM for running files and services.

I think they do Synology / QNAP hosting too if you want, so you could get one of the little 2 bay guys and ship it to them if you don't care about the CPU power as much.

Oh very interesting! Thanks for sharing. I wish they had a west coast presence! Yup part of what this server will be doing is lite NAS duties but some other stuff that is latency sensitive so I wanna keep it closer to home.

Unfortunately I missed that the server only supports 6 core E-2200 CPUs so now I gotta return the 8 core one I got. Oops!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Doh! I missed that the SYS-5019C-L only supports 6-core E-2200 CPUs. Ordered a E-2286G, hopefully I can return the E-2288G still :( Wiredzone policy is all sales final on CPUs but the sales guy said he'd put in a request to the manufacturer.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 6, 2021

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I'm in the market for a used ~12U cabinet and a rackable ups. Is there a better place than craigslist and ebay to trawl for these?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Milkman posted:

I'm in the market for a used ~12U cabinet and a rackable ups. Is there a better place than craigslist and ebay to trawl for these?

I recently found out about /r/homelabsales

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Milkman posted:

Honestly? Facebook Marketplace is flooded with server cabinets. Had more issues finding a decent UPS.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
If you are hardcore you can make your ups from cheap lithium cells, a bms and an inverter. I follow https://www.youtube.com/user/greasybrothers/videos .

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

fletcher posted:

I recently found out about /r/homelabsales

Thanks I'll keep tabs on this

CommieGIR posted:

Honestly? Facebook Marketplace is flooded with server cabinets. Had more issues finding a decent UPS.

Oh right I forgot that's a thing now

Perplx posted:

If you are hardcore you can make your ups from cheap lithium cells, a bms and an inverter. I follow https://www.youtube.com/user/greasybrothers/videos .

I am not hardcore and the local fire department appreciates my cooperation in this matter

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Post your sweet homelab setups in The Traveling CCircus Show, in SH/SC for a limited time!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3946255

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What is everyone using for monitoring these days? Prom/Grafana?