Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I hired a guy from Yap and so we spent a lot of time at work learning about Yap.

My favorite Yap story is that they’re the island with the big stone money. The British showed up and learned that and sailed their boats to a British colony where they had their slave labor make a bunch of big stone money. Then they sailed back to Yap to buy things with the stone money.

The Yap islanders decided that the British stones were no good and that they didn’t want them because it seemed that they were too easy for the British to get and thus they must be worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

peanut posted:

Merry Yapmas

and a Yappy New Year.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Chemmy posted:

I hired a guy from Yap and so we spent a lot of time at work learning about Yap.

My favorite Yap story is that they’re the island with the big stone money. The British showed up and learned that and sailed their boats to a British colony where they had their slave labor make a bunch of big stone money. Then they sailed back to Yap to buy things with the stone money.

The Yap islanders decided that the British stones were no good and that they didn’t want them because it seemed that they were too easy for the British to get and thus they must be worthless.

Wait...did Yap have the first bitcoin?

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Beachcomber posted:

Literally mined currency.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That looks so råd :) I hope they have a great christmas

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
What a nice little feelgood story this was. Given the Doobie experience I was half expecting the guy to just buy a speedboat and cocaine and sail away.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Thoughtless posted:

What a nice little feelgood story this was. Given the Doobie experience I was half expecting the guy to just buy a speedboat and cocaine and sail away.

He’s not close to being done yet, either - apparently the hold up is that a lot of the power outlets he needs to use are scheduled to be used on 12/18 for some market/festival, and after that he can go ham on it. So I should have another update around the 23rd.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Abugadu posted:

He’s not close to being done yet, either - apparently the hold up is that a lot of the power outlets he needs to use are scheduled to be used on 12/18 for some market/festival, and after that he can go ham on it. So I should have another update around the 23rd.

Thread will be stuck with a more descriptive title for that!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Chemmy posted:

The other one I like is that there's one Rai stone at the bottom of the ocean that's still "in circulation".

The stones aren't even from Yap, they had to go to this different island to make them. Then get them back on a polynesian double hulled canoe made from tree trunks and bamboo. And the bigger and more impressive the stone is, the more value it has. So one time they made the biggest and most impressive stone ever, but it was so big the canoe sank on the way back. I guess everyone decided it was good enough for partial credit.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Beachcomber posted:

no joke, yes.

the rai stones are literally how i explain bitcoin to people.

Nice to see the lights, goon. Please remind your friend that we wanted to remain anonymous.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
https://fb.watch/2uBFhawwlR/

The lights are almost all up now, and it looks awesome. I'll get some more pics and vids here soon, but just want to say gently caress yeah goons.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That poo poo is lit Yapy Xmas!

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
nice

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

noice

Mistaken Identity
Oct 21, 2020

Expected someone going ham. Was not disappointed.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Once again, thank you goons for coming together to make Christmas special for kids around the world. Leo and some of the island kids worked hard to get the lights up in time:

And the payoff was spectacular. For most of these kids, it was their first Christmas light display, and you guys made it huge.

Merry Christmas from the Western Pacific, and my deepest thanks for helping out a guy with a dream.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Awesomeness!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Haha those kids look bewildered.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

More pics:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
impressed with what the dude was able to do. thanks for posting the pics. very cool

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
thanks for the final update the pics are awesome im glad everyone had fun!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
that is AWESOME.

Marry Christmas Yappers

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
Extremely impressed. Good job goons! I would leave them up year round. That looks like a TON of work!!!

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i thought they'd decorate here and there, not create a winter wonderland visible from space

i dig it

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
:3:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
OP if you could put in a good word with the Yapese, I would appreciate stone currently roughly equivalent to the amount I donated.

Please mail me rocks. Big ones.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
You can always buy your own replica for 1.2k shipped.

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/decorative-objects/sculptures/abstract-sculptures/table-top-replica-yap-stone/id-f_14083581/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Gone Fashing posted:

impressed with what the dude was able to do. thanks for posting the pics. very cool

:yossame:

This is rad, glad it all came together and hope that the Yap kids enjoyed it.