Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Update 15: You’re Not Weak, You Just Lack Talent

Chairman Rose's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Apparently, this is the only restaurant in the entire town.

Oh, were you invited, too?

Oh, so you two know each other? Great! Come sit down.

Naturally, if one is going to eat here, the obvious choice is the local cuisine! Everything on the menu is delicious. By the way, how is Prof. Magnolia getting on? I’m quite indebted to her, you know. She was the one who figured out how to unleash the power of Wishing Stars and use that power to Dynamax Pokémon. We would never have been able to create Dynamax Bands without her.

:sigh: She was saying that there’s still so much we don’t know about Dynamaxing. It’s been so long since her last breakthrough she’s starting to worry there’s something fundamental we’re missing, and so, given just how powerful and unpredictable Dynamax energy is… She even made me take a Power Spot Detector with me when I started traveling…

I don’t like hearing that Prof. Magnolia is so worried; she’s one of the world’s greatest scientists and a good friend. If only there were something I could do… Sonia, I’d like to ask you to look through the vaults in Hammerlocke and see if there’s anything interesting or unusual in the records there. I understand you’ve been doing your own research on the subject, yes?

… Yes.

Then you’ll have full access to the archives as soon as possible. Oleana?

Understood, Chairman. You will receive your badge by the end of tomorrow, at the latest. However, I believe it is about time we got going, Chairman.

Hm? But I’ve hardly had a chance to speak with Gloria! It’s regrettable, but I suppose it can’t be helped. If something needs to get done, there’s no time like the present, after all! In any case, I bid you all farewell!

And they leave.

I mean, he’s right that the vaults probably have plenty of information, but… If he gets orders them to give me a badge, then I’ll have to put up with their staff resenting me for skipping the queue, so…

:confused:

Word to the wise: Hammerlocke’s university system is a right mess. Don’t get involved unless you have to, and if you do, try to go through somebody else. Rose just made my life harder because now I HAVE to use the pass he got me, which means I can’t… Look, enough of all that.
You got the Water Badge, yeah? Defeating Nessa’s no small feat. Nessa’s a good friend. Perhaps I should drop in on her, see what she knows before I head out. Until next time, Gym Challenger!

… Goodbye?

All right, mate! You’ve got both the Grass Badge and the Water Badge by now, right? In that case, we’re both headed for Motostoke and the Fire Gym Leader, Kabu! I hear he’s training in the mines between here and Motostoke, which means the gym’s closed until he gets back – and we can get a look at how he fights beforehand, or even challenge him! Won’t get us the Badge, but reconnaissance is reconnaissance, right?

I mean, yeah, but it’s, what, almost sunset right now. Where’re you planning on bunking down for the night?

I’ll be camping just out of town.

It’s been a of couple weeks since I was last home, so I figure I’m going to call a skytaxi to Postwick and stay with me mum for once. You’ll probably be in first.

I’ll let you know when I find him, maybe we can catch him in a double battle?

Then I guess I’ll see you there, mate.

Galar Mines - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Welcome to the second mine in the game –

Bede's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I’d feel sorry for my Pokémon if I made them take part in a battle against low-level opponents. I’m not in the mood to deal with weaklings right now. Then again, I suppose it’s a form of mercy to crush weak opponents early on. If you are under the misguided impression that you’re stronger than me, then surely you would be up for a Pokémon battle.

… I heard your conversation with Rose in Hulbury. That was, what, yesterday afternoon? Have you really gotten that much better in under 24 hours?

You have no idea how fast I can improve. Get out your goddam Pokémon and fight! After all,
it’s utterly inconceivable that I, the Challenger chosen by the chairman, will lose!

Battle! Bede (8-bit; VRC6+N163) - Pokemon Sword and Shield

This was by far the hardest fight in the game yet. I open with Chairman, and his first Pokémon, a Solosis strikes its weakness and one hit kills it, much to my shock. That’s the first time I’ve had a Pokémon faint on me yet, so good on him for that. He also manages to wear down L337, for now my dedicated anti-Psychic trooper, until I switched out for Bruce, who… Well, he’s Bruce. And yet… For context, my fight with the last Gym Leader took one Pokémon of mine into the yellow. This fight knocked one Pokémon out and put two more in the yellow. However much of a prick he may be, Bede is no slouch when it comes to combat.

You’re not weak – you just lack talent. Your chances of completing the Gym Challenge are pretty slim, I must say.

Hold up, mate, there’s some basic logical dissonance going on here. You keep talking about how superior you are and every time you start to brag your arse gets kicked. What is your deal?

I was chosen specifically by the chairman as his protégé. He plucked me from an orphanage and has been training me for nearly a decade as his heir.

drat. Wait, did he ever announce anything about that? That’s the sort of thing that ought to make Regional news.

He never had to. It’s always been clear!

Has he been training you to take over for him in MC?

No, we’ve been focusing on Pokémon for –

For a decade? It’s not like he spends all of his time battling, he’s a businessman. Has he trained you for that? Did he just take you in to make you his pet Pokémon Trainer or something?

Oh wow, that was way too direct. Is he… Is he crying? Oh poo poo, he’s crying. That wasn’t that bad an insult, he shouldn’t be crying. What do I do? Look, mate, I didn’t mean to… I don’t know what I meant to do with that, but that wasn’t supposed to hurt you –

Too late. gently caress off.

ANYWAY, here we have a more natural cave to traverse, even though in game they seem to treat it as another proper mine. I mean, last time we start construction equipment everywhere, but this time the terrain’s –

Team Yell Appears! - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Goddammit, let me finish.

Grunt A: You’re one of them takin’ part in the Gym Challenge, right?

Grunt B: Crikey, but that’s really somethin’! I’d love a battle against a great Trainer like you.

Oh, hullo, Hop. Nice of you to show up on time.

Well, look at you, Gloria! Surrounded by enduring fans, eh? You even be showing up Lee pretty soon!

You sound pretty excited about having your spotlight stolen.

Have you watched the interview yet?

No. Uh oh.

:laugh:

:sigh:

Grunt A: Oi, jog on, mate! Can’t you see we’re in the middle of a conversation here?

Yeah? And can’t you see that I’m Hop, the Trainer who’ll be your next Champion?

Grunt B: Oooh, so we’ve got a joker here, eh? You’re so funny, I forgot to laugh.

That comeback went stale before I was born, mate.

Grunt B: Scratch that, we have TWO jokers here.

Okay, look.
The two of us were endorsed by the Champion himself! You want to fight, let’s go.

Whoa, whoa, hold up.

Grunt B: What? You ain’t gonna put this off forever, are ya?

No, just, what are those instrument of yours?

Grunt A: These are our horns! We yell into them!

Grunt B: Marnie likes them. What, you got a problem with them?

No, actually, I actually kinda like the sound.

Grunt B:… Look, we gonna fight or not?

Oh, pardon.

We fight. They aren’t very good. They do at least do a little damage; they almost took out Hop’s Wooloo! But they lose.

Grunt A: That little mug’s the Champions little brother… Guess that’s what you get when your older brother’s not useless…

:raise:

Grunt B: I know we’re Team Yell, but we’ll leave quietly once we’re beaten…

They do.

Nice one, Gloria! That’s my rival for you! Now then… Where could Kabu have gone off to? Let’s keep going. Maybe he’s farther in!

Actually, I’ve been doing some thinking… I’m going to head back to the Pokémon Center now, get my Pokémon healed up before I go any deeper.

Well, suit yourself. Don’t be surprised when I beat the Gym before you even get out of the tunnel!

I’m taking this opportunity to head back to the center and switch out Quoth for Dietrich; she’s been good to me so far, but Flying is only so good a Type as Type Advantages go and I could really use some Electricity on my team. I’ll also take that this as an opportunity to bring the update to a close. Bede’s signature Pokémon is a Hatenna, and though it hasn’t come up yet, that Pokémon is actually important to his character arc. If anyone with :britain:post credit (Megane, Black Robe, Tenebrais, and LiefKatano, from what I can tell) wants to give it a name, I’ll work it into the narrative.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Let's go with Morgan. I feel like it's gonna be rather fitting, especially if you look at the pre-Mallory prose.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Uh, looks like I skipped a 13th update as far as numbering goes. I’m not going to go back and renumber them because that’ll completely throw off how I store LP material on my computer, so... looks like we have a super-secret lost 13th episode :shepface:

Robindaybird posted:

Let's go with Morgan. I feel like it's gonna be rather fitting, especially if you look at the pre-Mallory prose.

If you’re familiar with the mythos, please tell me you got the Zacian in the cart joke. I was really proud of that :saddowns:

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Still catching up on some stuff I missed, but I have a few things I want to note.

1. Can't tell if you do know this, but a comment you made about your first Roselia getting long in the tooth leads me to say this: get a Shiny Stone at some point.

2. I'm a little sad you didn't keep Chewtle on. Dreadnaw, the evolved form, is actually pretty drat boss, and faster than you'd expect. Just keep it away from Grass type moves, as you saw.

3. If you happen to have the Expansion Pass, I'd consider doing the Isle of Armor storyline after you deal with the third gym. You'll pick up something potentially very useful.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

1. Can't tell if you do know this, but a comment you made about your first Roselia getting long in the tooth leads me to say this: get a Shiny Stone at some point.

Unfortunately this is impractical for quite a while (the first one's in Route 8, which is 3 gyms from now), unless you grind for it in a tedious way in the Wild Area (you can get it from the digging brothers, but that costs 500 Watts per attempt and it forces you to save each try so you can't savescum it either).

I had specific notes on this because I ended up planning a fair amount of my Sword nuzlocke around it (there's an ingame trade that will give you a Togepi for a Toxel, and you get that for free, so it was the one non-starter team member I knew I'd be able to count on).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Explopyro posted:

Unfortunately this is impractical for quite a while (the first one's in Route 8, which is 3 gyms from now).
Yeah, but that's still only halfway through the game, so there's no need to rush for it. That'd be around the time most people would have their starter hit their final form, for example

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Falconier111 posted:

Uh, looks like I skipped a 13th update as far as numbering goes. I’m not going to go back and renumber them because that’ll completely throw off how I store LP material on my computer, so... looks like we have a super-secret lost 13th episode :shepface:

If you’re familiar with the mythos, please tell me you got the Zacian in the cart joke. I was really proud of that :saddowns:

yep. Lancelot is many things, Dignified he is not

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 16: *Team Yell Members Slipping Out from Behind a Statue*

As a brand-new babby Pokémon, Dietrich starts out at level 1; I spent some time grinding for her, though not much, just enough to boost her up to about my party’s average level. By the way, Dietrich is female. I’m not changing her name –

I can’t go five minutes in this place! Ignore the fact that I doubled back to make sure it actually got me. Stunfisks hide in the ground and look kind of like Pokéballs, but they jump up to grab you and kick off a fight when they do. They’re very hard to kill, too, and I have enough party members that I don’t want to waste a space on it. I’m not familiar with the meta, are these guys considered any good? Whatever, we have plot to deal with.

… It’s unforgivable for you to get in the way of a Carkoal hard at work!

Grunt A: We weren’t getting’ in its way! We were tryin’ to cheer it on!

Grunt B: Still, you did a number on us in that Pokémon battle, so… It’s time for Team Yell to scarper off and give a moral boost elsewhere!

Cheering is one thing, but one shouldn’t get in the way of honest work!

The Pokémon gargles in agreement.

That’s Kabu… Man, he’s wicked! No wonder he’s the Fire-type Gym Leader!

I’m just training right up until the last moment so that I can guarantee the perfect match when I face you Gym Challengers! I specialize in Fire-type Pokémon, and the Water-type Pokémon in Galar Mine No. 2 are the perfect opponents to train against! Regardless, it’s getting late. Just go straight once you get out of this mine, and you’ll reach Motostoke. Get a good rest at the hotel, and make sure you’re both in your top condition! Come on, Carkoal. Time for you to head on home, too. I’ll make sure you get there safely.

It gargles again

We’re going to be on fire tomorrow!

He has a pretty commanding presence, doesn’t he?

I know, right? Lee says a good third of the yearly Gym Challenger crop burns out against his Gym… But I think I can take him!
Man, now I’m getting all fired up, too!

:rolleyes:

Motostoke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

…I guess it must’ve been here on a job. You know about Poké Jobs by now, right?

Oh Lord, I’ve been avoiding talking about Poké Jobs. So let’s talk about Sudowoodos instead!

Remember HMs? Back in Gen 2, just after you got Cut, you could run into something that looked mostly like a cuttable tree – only for it to turn out to be a Sudowoodo minding its own business that would attack you for trying to murder it. They still show up here and there in the series – back in Gen 7, one of the Gym-equivalents included a challenge where you try to identify which trees were and weren’t actually Pokémon – but these days they’re just another Pokémon. Also, despite looking like trees, they’re Rock-types. Isn’t that distracting interesting?

Anyway, soon enough we pull back into Motostoke, head down to the Pokémon Center to heal our guys up –

:sigh: I guess there’s no avoiding it.

Poké Jobs are little errands you can send your troops on to get you various bonuses, usually a few items and some experience for the creatures involved; you mount them out of the PC and draw participants from the Pokémon you’ve stored there. Thing is? Since I started playing, I’ve always favored keeping a stable party as much as possible. I rarely catch many Pokémon and those that I do tend to sit in my Box forever unless I switch them out. There are exceptions – that Eevee I caught earlier, for instance, will likely be one of them – but Poké Jobs offer me very little I want. Even when I do try to use them, they end up irritating, because they often require a bunch of Pokémon of the same type and I don’t have a bunch of Pokémon I can spare for however long any given Job will take. I suppose for most players they can serve an important function, but I don’t like thinking about them. Whatever, it’s done now!

Marnie's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Heya, Marnie!

Oh, Gloria! Nos da!

Good evening to you, too! See, I remembered!

Actually, Gloria, I wanted t’ ask you a question.

Aye?

We never had a battle before. You wanna fight?

:getin:

Battle! (Marnie) - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

FINALLY, you have no idea how long I’ve been waiting to break out this theme. It’s a strong contender for best track in the game. It and this animation are what originally drew my attention to Sword and Shield. Also, notice how Team Yell shows up in the background root for her. I couldn’t get a screenshot because it went by too fast, but in the split-second between when you accept the challenge and it enters to the battle screen, a couple of Team Yell members slip out from behind the statute to start cheering her on :3:

Marnie specializes in Dark-type Pokémon, fitting her punk-y image, plus Pokémon that look scary, intimidating, or…

… A bit like a stereotype (if you don’t see it, wait for its evolved form). Her team really isn’t up to Bede’s standards, though that might be because Psychic-types generally kick rear end. I roared through her first two pretty easily.

Morpeko here is her signature Pokémon, much more so than Bede’s Hatenna or whatever starter Hop ended up with. It’s not like those follow them around outside of battle. It’s also this generation’s pseudo-Pikachu. See, after seeing the runaway success of everyone’s favorite thunder rat, a lot of later generations have tried to catch that lightning in a bottle again. The closest they’ve ever come was with Mimikyu, some kind of Lovecraftian abomination that hid in a Pikachu costume because it just wanted everybody to love it like Pikachu :kiddo:; it got some real traction for a little while before everyone forgot it. Morpeko, however, is just another Pokémon that looks kind of like Pikachu, so nobody cared. Except for Marnie, who cares about it in-universe for personal reasons.

Every time she says that, she uses that move, and not just in this battle. Morpeko is a bit of a gimmick Pokémon; every turn, it switches between two forms that alter the type of its signature move; Full Belly Mode, its normal appearance, makes the move Electric-type, while Hangry Mode (that’s its actual name), which turns it black and gives it angry eyes, makes the move Dark-type. It’s not much of a gimmick, though, and unless there’s something I’m missing, it’s just a middle of the range Pokémon. Her team goes down easy.

Marnie's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

… Well, I wasn’t expectin’ that.

Look, I’m pretty good, but I’m not perfect. Do you want me to give you some pointers?

I – Actually, maybe tomorrow. It’s getting’ late, and while that last conversation was great fun, I’d rather not stay up till dawn again.

Same. See you tomorrow!

Bore da! Off to the Gym?

Actually, I was thinkin’… you know how Gyms are always clogged up in the mornin’?

Yeah, we’ll be looking at a couple hours wait while they cycle through Challengers.

You wanna just go out and DO somethin’ for a while? Spend a few hours out ‘til the queue clears a bit.

Absolutely, that’s a brilliant idea! Actually, I was planning on hitting up the shops sometime today. You want to tag along?

… I mean, have you seen the Kantonian breed? I mean, it’s not bringin’ home any prizes anytime soon, but it doesn’t have that awful beard.

Full agreement with you there. Just looking at it leaves a bad taste in my Meowth.

:raise:

:meowth:

:laugh:

You should’ve nipped that one in the budew.

That was onixceptable, Gloria!

It’ll take more than that to give this conversation the raboot.

What you say when a Water-type goes on the lam? It’s laying lotad.

What you call it when a Water-type struggles to finish something something? It bit off more than it can chewtle!

Why don’t you give Pokémon jewelry? You’d be castin’ pearls before piloswine!

What game do you play with baby Pokémon? Peek-a-chu!

What do you call it when your Oddish takes too long t’ evolve? It’s a late gloomer!

What… Oh no, I’m out, I’m out!

How do you know when your Pokémon needs a bath? When it’s a little bit stunky!

:roflolmao:

What did the Flareon say when it looked back at its high school yearbook? I can’t belieevee I used t’ look like that!

Pfffhahaha :cripes: oh my God…

… I still can’t believe the Battle Café serves breakfast at lunch.

Didn’t make the fight any harder. You said you had pointers?

Yes. So, I noticed you keep a Croagunk on your team, even though it’s not a Dark-type?

Normally I keep my team to Dark-types, but they live in the Spike River, so they get in on –

Café Owner Dwight: Your meals – the daily special!

Thanks.

Thank you. …Marnie, did you read the ingredients list?

Nah, the menu just said “Daily Special”… is that… Look, ‘s that baked beans? In an omelette? I can’t imagine eatin’ either of those on their lonesome, forget them thrown together.

Well, at least we can bond over similar taste in food… And it smells so strong… You know, if I liked either of those things, this omelette would be gone by now, but it’s making me kind of :barf:-y just looking at it.

I’m not hungry anymore. Do you wanna just pay and leave?

:negative:

… I’m afraid the tam o’ shanter isn’t going anywhere.

Eh, suit yourself. We can agree to disagree.

I mean, you can pull off black nails, but I can’t.

Now I’m not too sure about – wait, Gloria, look! How about this one?

Isn’t that just the Fighting Gym uniform top?

Yes, but I think it would offset those trousers of yours.

You know what, you might be right, give it over…

All right, got the new cards printed out and ready to give to Challengers, everything is all set… It’s time to go take down Kabu.

(As far as other Trainer’s Pokémon go, Bede’s Hatenna and Marnie’s Morpeko are up for naming; as a reminder, I’ll work the name into the narrative, whatever it turns out to be).

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 22, 2020

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Okay, I already threw up Morgan for Bede's Hatenna, I'm just gonna continue with the British lit for Morpeko:

Jekyll

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Explopyro posted:

Unfortunately this is impractical for quite a while (the first one's in Route 8, which is 3 gyms from now), unless you grind for it in a tedious way in the Wild Area (you can get it from the digging brothers, but that costs 500 Watts per attempt and it forces you to save each try so you can't savescum it either).

I had specific notes on this because I ended up planning a fair amount of my Sword nuzlocke around it (there's an ingame trade that will give you a Togepi for a Toxel, and you get that for free, so it was the one non-starter team member I knew I'd be able to count on).

I mean, what's wrong with that? That's around the time it would be needed.

Also, about Poké Jobs: They're nice for grabbing some items and all, but the real use is making EV training stupidly easy.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

How dare you slander baked beans. And omelette, come to that.

I never bothered with Pokejobs. My guys are all unemployed hobos and proud of it. Wild Area raids for EXP candy are just easier, since you get other useful stuff along the way and I never bother with EV training either.

Yes, I know I'm a filthy casual.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

I mean, what's wrong with that? That's around the time it would be needed.

Also, about Poké Jobs: They're nice for grabbing some items and all, but the real use is making EV training stupidly easy.

It's not anywhere near the latest an evolution has been locked, but it's still late enough that it could be annoying. That's all I was saying.

I like the concept of Poke Jobs, especially as a worldbuilding thing, but quickly stopped doing them (outside of the EV training ones, which are really convenient) even on my first playthrough. If nothing else, it annoyed me that if I sent a lot of pokemon on a job they'd inevitably make an unsorted mess out of my boxes when they came back. That said, you don't have to send the full number of pokemon requested, and you can send pokemon that aren't a good type match for the job, your rewards will just be reduced a bit.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Black Robe posted:

How dare you slander baked beans. And omelette, come to that.

Yes, I know I'm a filthy casual.

:kheldragar:

I didn’t learn what EV training was until a few days ago, despite having played Pokémon for years. We’re all filthy casuals here.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

I didn’t learn what EV training was until a few days ago, despite having played Pokémon for years. We’re all filthy casuals here.
Speak for yourself, I breed perfect-IV pokemon for fun. :colbert:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Falconier111 posted:

It's the only proper way to play the game.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

You've heard of EV training, but how about... Eevee training?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Glaceon is my joint-2nd favourite Pokemon so I'm all about that Eevee training.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

Falconier111 posted:

:kheldragar:

It doesn't really matter unless you wanna get into competitive Pokémon.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 17: A Proper, Sporty Chant

It occurs to me that I broke one of my cardinal rules in the last update! The last screenshot I posted was edited, and I did not make that clear. Canonically, at this point in the games <player_name> and Marnie barely knew each other, but in the LP Gloria and Marnie are already quite close. In the future, if/when I edit text in screenshots I’ll put it in italics, same as in the narrative. Also, if you’re looking to do the same I recommend using 17-point Bahnschrift SemiLight. Anyway.

My what?

You took so long to get here I went in, got the Badge, left bought a new bag, ate, came back, and watched Kabu school a few Challengers. I saw you two walking together and giggling while I was out. I assume your gut lead you wrong?

No! We just spent a lot of the day together. We were just… hanging out.

Just two gals being pals?

Yeah, exact– dammit Hop! It was not a date!

Yes it was.

Yes it was. Oh god, did I pressure her into a date? Wait – she suggested we go do something. Did SHE ask me on a date? Did I misread her? Does she think I rejected her? Aaaaaah :cripes: Hop I am so bad at this!

Relax, mate. Look. Just talk to her, all right? I know you, once you let the panic die down you’ll be able to handle this.

Yeah, I know…

Hey, you know what’d make you feel better? Beating the pants off Kabu.

You’re right. Thank you, Hop.

It’s the least I can do.

Gym - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

The last two Gym Challenges presented us with puzzles. The Fire Gym, however, works entirely differently; it’s a Pokémon catching competition. Each patch of grass has one wild Pokémon and one Trainer in it. If you knock the Pokémon out, you gain one point, and if you catch it, you gain two; the goal is to rack up a minimum of five points, which means you have to at least catch two and beat another (and yes, you get to keep the ones you catch). The twist? Those Trainers always join the fight and make it a double battle, and they’re out to knock it out too. One long-standing quirk of the double battle system is that you can target friendly Pokémon with offensive moves, a natural consequence of making them targetable for helpful moves and a tactical consideration when using certain moves that strike all creatures on the field. The Fire Gym Challenge manipulates that quirk to create a three-way fight, something I’ve never seen before and that may be new to the franchise as a whole.

In theory, I can see why everyone in-universe hypes this Gym up so much. Since the other Trainers only have to take out one Pokémon to disqualify you, even one misstep can cost you the Challenge. In practice I saw other Trainers attack the wild Pokémon exactly twice, and one of those was with a move that had no effect. Instead, they attacked me. Which was an awful idea! My Pokémon are tough enough to take everything they can dish out without batting an eye, and with them absorbing hits I was free to tweak the wild Pokémon’s health until I could catch them. In the third fight, there came a point where, if the other trainer hadn’t wasted an attack on Murphy, they could have killed the wild Pokémon and cost me the challenge. They didn’t, and I succeeded.

Kabu always kind of jogs everywhere. It’s actually kind of endearing.

The fact that you are here means you’ve bested both Milo’s Grass-type Pokémon and Nessa’s Water types, too. That’s quite an accomplishment! Every Trainer and Pokémon trains hard in pursuit of victory. But that means your opponent is also working hard to win. In the end, the match is decided by which side is able to unleash their true potential.

He stops talking there. If this seems abrupt to you, you’re not the only one; when I was writing this update, I went back to double check and make sure I hadn’t missed some transition. Anyway, the fight.

Battle! Gym Leader (8-bit; VRC6) - Pokemon Sword and Shield

You know, I never talked about status effects – a bit of an oversight, given how Kabu opens the fight by Burning Murphy. Instead of (or in addition to) dealing damage or stat changes, some moves inflict one of several status effects, some of which expire once combat ends and some of which stick around until healed:
  • Burned (lasting): causes damage every turn and reduces physical Attack damage.
  • Confusion (temporary): causes a Pokémon to damage themselves as often as they use moves on enemies. The subject of many memes.
  • Flinch (temporary): prevents a Pokémon from using moves. Lasts one turn.
  • Freeze (lasting): literally freezes the Pokémon in a block of ice, preventing them from moving.
  • Paralysis (lasting): lowers a Pokémon’s speed and occasionally prevents them from acting.
  • Poison (lasting): does damage every turn.
  • Sleep (lasting): prevents a Pokémon from doing anything for a few terms. Has a bunch of moves that interface with it in complex ways for some reason.
There are a few others, but they’re a lot less common and don’t matter as much. I mention this now because Kabu loving LOVES inflicting Burn. His first two Pokémon, Ninetales and Arcanine, both have a move that specifically causes Burn and use it any time their opponent doesn’t have the status effect already. My original plan was to have Murphy hit his Fire-types in their weaknesses (Ground is strong against Fire) until I wore them down, then switch to Tiddles and Dynamax him to seal the deal. Unfortunately, since Burn reduces physical damage and Murphy only does physical damage, I had to switch her out early and try to wear them down with Tiddles. Halfway through his Arcanine, after burning several items just keeping Tiddles unBurnt, I gave up and Dynamaxed.

It worked. Plus, Max Geyser made it rain in the arena and Tiddles’s Ability removes Burn in the rain, so that made my life easier.

I missed it by a hair, but at this point Kabu’s eyes shoot out tiny flames for a split second, it’s pretty rad.

So, Gigantamax. Almost every Pokémon in the game can Dynamax (at least as far as I’m aware). A few, however, instead Gigantamax, which alters their appearance as well as their size and gives them access to a special move unique to that type of Pokémon when Gigantamaxed. Kabu’s Centiskorch here has access to one, but since it’s a Fire-type move it doesn’t bother breaking it out. Boo. And then it falls to nother Max Geyser. And that’s it.

Honestly, the Fire Gym kind of unnerves me from an analytical standpoint. They keep playing it up as a major roadblock in universe (I’ve been cutting out plenty of chatter), and if the AI used their advantages intelligently, I’d believe it. Instead, they don’t, so I don’t. In fact, it dovetails nicely with a theory I’ve been building. And no, I won’t tell you it yet, give me a couple updates to polish it.

Clearly, your talent surpassed my many years of experience. I still have much to learn! I now know that you and your Pokémon will become a fantastic team. I’m glad I could battle you today! Let me give you a Fire Badge as proof that you defeated me!

Thanks to the Dynamax phenomenon, our Pokémon battles have become part of the Galar region’s culture. And it’s the young Trainers who are responsible for keeping our culture alive. Of course, I hope that instead of just keeping it alive, you also help it become something better. We adults will be the pillars for you to build on.

Motostoke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I figured that if anyone could do it, you and Mudbray would be the ones… But still! That match had me right at the edge of my seat!

(He always names the first Pokémon in your party.)

…Can’t shake the feeling he was going easy on me…

:confused:

Nothing. So, next up is Hammerlocke, right?

And to get there we have to go through the deepest parts of the Wild Area.

Race you? For old time’s sake – that looks like a yes!

Huh?

Oh, I bet you can already tell that I’m the one who will become the next Champion, yeah?

There are many Trainers who never manage to gather three Gym Badges, and they just give up on the Gym Challenge altogether… So I make a point to see off any Trainers who are able to defeat me.

Gloria, Hop, congratulations! It’s pretty amazing you to defeated Kabu!

Not a lot of Gym Challengers are able to get a Gym Badge from Kabu. We like to get together to see them off, as a way of showing our support.

So, allow me to send you off with a proper, sporty chant!

The Gym Leaders you will face ahead are all tough opponents. But I believe that you will prevail! Believe in your Pokémon and keep pushing on!

Thanks, you all! We’re gonna keep winning if we want a face-off in the Champion Cup, after all! Come on, Gloria! Let’s head for Hammerlocke!

WILD AREA: North ► Pokémon Sword & Shield Original Soundtrack

Gloria! You planning on training up here or going on ahead?

I think I’ll – wait.

… Through the Gym Challenge, anyway. The Champion really must’ve been off his rocker to endorse the likes of you. I mean, it seems Hop here can’t even throw a Pokéball properly.

Really? That’s your standard for judging trainers?

Rubbish. More like you don’t know enough to recognize greatness when you see it. You can insult me all you want. But insult Lee? :toughguy:

Fine. I’ll battle you over there. Maybe that will help you finally understand just how weak you are.

You’re on then. I know you challenged Gloria to battle in Galar Mine No. 2 and lost her there. And I’m her greatest rival. In other words… There’s no way you’re beating me.

:hmmyes:

All this prattle about Gloria and the Champion and whatnot… Do you not have anything of your own to show?

I’ll show this wally my real skills in battle! Let’s meet up in Hammerlocke when I’m through with him!

Have fun! Kick his arse!

Don’t have to tell me twice!

This will turn out well. And with that, we’ve completed this section of the game and now have to go back through the Wild Area to reach our next objective. So, uh, see you later for a bunch of mechanics chat.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 12, 2020

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Falconier111 posted:

Honestly, the Fire Gym kind of unnerves me from an analytical standpoint. They keep playing it up as a major roadblock in universe (I’ve been cutting out plenty of chatter), and if the AI used their advantages intelligently, I’d believe it. Instead, they don’t, so I don’t. In fact, it dovetails nicely with a theory I’ve been building. And no, I won’t tell you it yet, give me a couple updates to polish it.[/i]

There's a reason why so many fangames crank up the difficulty. And why some especially infamous ones have high-level npcs (heroic and villainous) frequently outshining the player by just showing up in early areas and throwing their weight around the way they logically should on occasion.

The overall competence level of the pokemon universe is low - far below what they're capable of. I completely buy that the Fire Gym weeds out most of the competition while posing no threat to the Ultimate Savant that the player is.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Kabu's also the first gym leader who actually brings out a Gigantamax (coincidentally, G-max Centiskorch is one of my favorite designs, and I spent hours searching for a promoted raid den with one to have it on my team when the game first came out) and those are presented as a Big Deal, even though they're largely identical to a dynamax of the same species. Between that, burning, and the fact that all three of his pokemon are final stage pokemon, he is a step up from the first two.

That being said, "type weakness go brrrr" :v:

Also, Kabu's probably one of my favorite gym leaders - both because of his dorky chant at the end, and because all his animations just make him seem really endearing and fun. He's a Cool Old Guy! :D

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Kabu's also the first gym leader who actually brings out a Gigantamax (coincidentally, G-max Centiskorch is one of my favorite designs, and I spent hours searching for a promoted raid den with one to have it on my team when the game first came out) and those are presented as a Big Deal, even though they're largely identical to a dynamax of the same species. Between that, burning, and the fact that all three of his pokemon are final stage pokemon, he is a step up from the first two.

That being said, "type weakness go brrrr" :v:

Also, Kabu's probably one of my favorite gym leaders - both because of his dorky chant at the end, and because all his animations just make him seem really endearing and fun. He's a Cool Old Guy! :D

Kabu’s so serious about everything it comes across as a bit silly, but he’s so genuine and positive it loops back around to being respectable. He’s definitely one of my favorite leaders, my favorite being Melony for her sheer :stonklol: factor.

Also, as unfair as it is, I have trouble taking Centiskorch seriously because it’s a Bug type :v:. I may actually work commentary on Bug type into the next post.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Also, as unfair as it is, I have trouble taking Centiskorch seriously because it’s a Bug type :v:. I may actually work commentary on Bug type into the next post.
you take that back, bug types are cool and good. they've been perfectly respectable since gen 5!! :mad:

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Blaziken386 posted:

you take that back, bug types are cool and good. they've been perfectly respectable since gen 5!! :mad:

...are you saying that that post... :cool: ...bugged you?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Hands down Kabu's probably my favorite Gym Challenge in this game. It might just be the novelty of catching Pokemon in the middle of a Gym match and also how you're competing with other Trainers for them, but...

The AI doesn't make it challenging, but I think it's kind of a problem with the whole "you can have six Pokemon on your team" thing. For your average trainer, a Gym Trainer attacking your Pokemon (and the wild. "wild"? they're catchable and you can keep them - which is nice if only for the abilities - but they're probably raised by the Gym) would be a valid strategy, because you'd only have two or three (and presumably Not A Bajillion Healing Items but that might be getting even more technical.) When you have six, though...

Also: Gigantamax! I feel like Gigantamax sucks more often than it doesn't suck.

Take Centiskorch, for instance. A Dynamax Centiskorch gets access to Max Flare, which would wipe away the rain (if probably temporarily in a straight-up Dynamax fight), reduce the Water damage it takes, and power up its Fi - okay that won't matter because, again, it's a Dynamax fight.

G-Max Centiskorch's G-Max Centiferno has the additional effect of... Fire Spin. A slightly buffed Fire Spin, but not in terms of damage. It's completely useless if you knock out the target (it's better in Doubles because the Fire Spin effect is multitarget, but...).

There's some that aren't bad and at least one that's (imo :V) REALLY good but in general it doesn't quite feel worth it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

In fairness Kabu's gym would be a lot more of a roadblock for actual children fairly new to the franchise. Goons in LPs tend to overlook our decades of experience and mild-to-severe poopsocking tendencies when discussing these things.

Unless Hop took Scorbunny you haven't seen many fire types yet, water's an obvious weakness but if you don't guess ground and rock might work too you've limited your options, not much actually resists fire and you've not encountered dragons yet, and having the AI attack you while you're trying to have an unrelated battle is an abrupt change from how everything's worked up until now. This is probably the first encounter with status effects as well (and if you did know about ground and rock, well, suddenly they're doing half the damage they should be). If you rolled badly on stats when assembling your team and didn't realise it, you'd be overwhelmed pretty quickly without prior knowledge.

The answer to this is to have two difficulty modes, but they've only done that once and extremely badly (god, Gen 5 was a hot mess in so many ways). I would happily go two years between game releases if it meant a chance to pick a higher difficulty that got rid of all the tutorial stuff and didn't make allowances for newbies, but I don't see it happening.

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Due to the burns he absolutely will inflict, Kabu's gym also serves as a way to make players pay attention to whether a move is physical or special, as special attackers don't give a poo poo about burns beyond watching their HP.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

One thing is that I don't remember the game ever actually telling you about Gigantimax until like, a sign post on one of the late-game routes. It'll just confuse new players when their Cenitskorch doesn't do it on its own.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Black Robe posted:

In fairness Kabu's gym would be a lot more of a roadblock for actual children fairly new to the franchise. Goons in LPs tend to overlook our decades of experience and mild-to-severe poopsocking tendencies when discussing these things.

Unless Hop took Scorbunny you haven't seen many fire types yet, water's an obvious weakness but if you don't guess ground and rock might work too you've limited your options, not much actually resists fire and you've not encountered dragons yet, and having the AI attack you while you're trying to have an unrelated battle is an abrupt change from how everything's worked up until now. This is probably the first encounter with status effects as well (and if you did know about ground and rock, well, suddenly they're doing half the damage they should be). If you rolled badly on stats when assembling your team and didn't realise it, you'd be overwhelmed pretty quickly without prior knowledge.

The answer to this is to have two difficulty modes, but they've only done that once and extremely badly (god, Gen 5 was a hot mess in so many ways). I would happily go two years between game releases if it meant a chance to pick a higher difficulty that got rid of all the tutorial stuff and didn't make allowances for newbies, but I don't see it happening.

What, you think unlocking easy by beating normal doesn't make sense?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Ah, but you see, that's when I stopped playing these games!

Hunter Noventa posted:

One thing is that I don't remember the game ever actually telling you about Gigantimax until like, a sign post on one of the late-game routes. It'll just confuse new players when their Cenitskorch doesn't do it on its own.

Sword_of_Dusk posted:

Due to the burns he absolutely will inflict, Kabu's gym also serves as a way to make players pay attention to whether a move is physical or special, as special attackers don't give a poo poo about burns beyond watching their HP.

Ironic, isn't it, that a game that literally has a track for when it's leading you around by the nose doesn't explain either of these things?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I like Kabu's gym too, the catching challenge with NPCs trying to mess with you was an interesting idea and something these games haven't done before. Plus as a bonus, testing trainers on how well they catch pokemon makes sense.

Gigantamax is weird, is the best thing I can say about it. We absolutely needed an extra arcane gimmick on top of the already gimmicky dynamax stuff. I guess it's good that it's not strictly advantageous, but it's weird how many of the G-max moves are just worse than their regular dynamax counterparts.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And honestly it's a nice source for fire-types if you grabbed a different starter or didn't grab a Vulpix in the wild area.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Robindaybird posted:

And honestly it's a nice source for fire-types if you grabbed a different starter or didn't grab a Vulpix in the wild area.

In Shield you can't get Vulpix in the early part of the Wild Area. Kabu's gym is pretty much the only source of wild fire types before about level 30. They did some weird buggering about with species distribution in different versions for no reason I can see.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Black Robe posted:

In Shield you can't get Vulpix in the early part of the Wild Area. Kabu's gym is pretty much the only source of wild fire types before about level 30. They did some weird buggering about with species distribution in different versions for no reason I can see.

Gotta buy em all :shepface:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Aren’t there wild Sizzlipedes rarely on Route... 3? Was it 3?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

AweStriker posted:

Aren’t there wild Sizzlipedes rarely on Route... 3? Was it 3?

It's a 1% encounter rate. gently caress that noise.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Black Robe posted:

Guess who ground that 1% rate to get hers in her first playthrough. :shepface:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MightyPretenders posted:

The overall competence level of the pokemon universe is low - far below what they're capable of. I completely buy that the Fire Gym weeds out most of the competition while posing no threat to the Ultimate Savant that the player is.

Wasn't there one episode of the anime where the filler opponent trainer was actually really dangerous because she exploited type weaknesses sensibly?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

hopeandjoy posted:

Professor Magnolia? :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Black Robe posted:

hopeandjoy posted:

Hey who wants to learn a fun fact

in gen 8, they changed the ability Flash Fire, and gave it a Field Effect! What's the effect, you might ask?

If a pokemon with Flash Fire is first in the party, 50% of the time, wild pokemon encounters will be forced to be fire-type, if possible.

The beginning of Route 3 has oodles of Vulpix (in Sw) or Growlithe (in Sh), both of whom have Flash Fire as their ability. (And they're not part of the "random encounter" table, they're purely overworld spawns, so they won't interfere with looking for the fire bug)

So, it's really really easy to catch a sizzlipede, provided you know about this one obscure game mechanic which is never mentioned and is entirely new to the series.
Stuff like that is never explained, but by golly they WILL hammer in type-matchups until the final boss :downs:

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 12, 2020