Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kheldarn posted:

Throwing my vote on the pile!

Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for UwUloo for our favourite sheep.

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Quoth the sheep!

Slumbering Weald is one of my favourite tracks in the entire game. It's such a good mix of atmospheric and catchy.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
Quoth and Woolooloo are locked in! Also, I completely forgot this game has a shittier Squirtle.

E: anyone willing to give me a proper rundown on the correct usage of British profanity gets :britain:post credit. We have our Chewtle to name, plus Leon’s Charizard, Hop’s Wooloo, and Sonia’s Yamper.

DoubleE: wait, poo poo, inflatablefish, you have :britain:post credit. You want to spend it on anybody?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 29, 2020

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Are you planning to explore the DLC?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Falconier111 posted:

Quoth and Woolooloo are locked in! Also, I completely forgot this game has a shittier Squirtle super cool snapping turtle.

E: anyone willing to give me a proper rundown on the correct usage of British profanity gets :britain:post credit. We have our Chewtle to name, plus Leon’s Charizard, Hop’s Wooloo, and Sonia’s Yamper.

DoubleE: wait, poo poo, inflatablefish, you have :britain:post credit. You want to spend it on anybody?

fixed

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Falconier111 posted:

Quoth and Woolooloo are locked in! Also, I completely forgot this game has a shittier Squirtle.

i am not :britain:, however: while I've heard "bollocks" used as an alternative to "ah, gently caress", I've literally never heard "the dog's bollocks". i'm pretty sure that one is a myth told to us americans

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

i am not :britain:, however: while I've heard "bollocks" used as an alternative to "ah, gently caress", I've literally never heard "the dog's bollocks". i'm pretty sure that one is a myth told to us americans

Nope, it's the honest truth, though I think it's a bit more London-regional than that common UK-wide.

An in-depth breakdown of British profanity would probably end up longer than the game, but I'll chime in as and when I can. "Bollocks!" does indeed mean "ah, gently caress" as in what you might say when you walk all the way to the shops then realise you forgot your wallet, but it can also mean "bullshit", as in "you're talking a load of bollocks there mate".

As for a :britain:post, Leon's Charizard is almost red and almost a dragon, so let's make it Welsh and call it Boyo.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pokemon AND English profanity? Are you making this LP just for me?!

Also I have some Scottish background, but we're only really taught about English history in schools, so as a nation, we're usually pretty ignorant of our immediate neighbours. Especially about the empire, it's all very glossed over, as well as our various genocides of Ireland. It's a long story.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 4: It's Not Very Effective...

Wedgehurst - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Ah, Wedgehurst, a town with more than two buildings. There’s a train station off to the left – Leon came out of it a couple updates back – but while we will be using it eventually, that’s still in the future. You can go into buildings and pester the people in there (who will react like you just asked them to explain something in the classroom), go hit up the Pokémart –

Whoops, interrupted by the tutorial. Hop takes the chance to explain Pokémon Centers and Marts in detail, but rather than transcribe all that, I’ll bottom-line it for you. Most towns have a Pokémon Center building, always marked by that big red Pokéball (like in the upper right). In older games, it and the Pokémart, which sold you items, were always in adjacent buildings (except at the ends of long routes, where centers sometimes showed up on their own); apparently, they’ve long since consolidated them.

So in here we have three different sections. Across from the entrance and just under the Pokéball is the Pokémon Center proper, which heals all of your Pokémon for free.

That 4th Pokémon is this weird bug I found, it sucked so I got rid of it.

You even get a nice graphic! It fully restores their heath, revives any dead fainted ones, removes status conditions, and restores their power points. By the way, your moves have a power point budget they can spend their way through; if they run out of PP (yep) for every move, their only option is to use a free move, Struggle, which damages them almost as much their opponent. So don’t do that.

Here is the Pokémart; it sells you the local equivalent of healing potions, status effect removers, and Phoenix Downs, plus Pokéballs, items that can manipulate your Poké’s stats mid battle, and ways to teach them new moves. In previous games, these were rarer than Pokémon Centers, which the games used as breathers between areas as well as setting them up in towns; here, you can find Pokémarts both in Centers and in the occasional other building. The train station back there has one.

This due lets you rename your Pokémon or shuffle around their move list. In olden days, two other people split his duties between them and there was only one of each in the entire game; here, this guy shows up in pretty much every Pokémon Center.

Also, that computer in the back is haunted by a Rotom (or it straight up is a Pokémon with an Internet connection, I don’t know). You go there to get rid of Pokémon you don’t want to by digitizing them Tron-style, downloading them back into your party later if you want. It’s what you do with all the Pokémon you were filling your Pokédex with. In Gen 1, the computer system had its own subplot; you had to visit its inventor, Bill Gates, by fighting your way through a bridge full of schoolchildren, after which a gangster gave you a piece of gold ore. No, really.

Looks like we’re all set.

As you’d expect, you can enter most buildings with doors and engage in conversations like you belong there. Most of them are just some variation on “gosh I just so do love Pokémon”, but some of them…

Wow, the townsfolk are still talking about this.

On a lighter note…

Well, well, well, what’s all this then? We’ll be back for you later.

If you’re a Pokémon trainer now, you must want to try your hand at the Gym Challenge, right?

No poo poo.

But the trick is that you’ve got to be endorsed if you want to take part. And Lee doesn’t seem to think I’m up to snuff…

Did he say so?

He said he won’t sponsor me. That’s not very ambiguous…

Maybe he just didn’t want to make it look like nepotism.

Well, maybe.
So I’m thinking I ought to talk to the professor and see if she could help! You’ve got to take part, too! A proper rival is just the thing every trainer needs to keep growing stronger, after all. Keeps you motivated, right?

Yeah, exactly. Sir, are you asking me to be your rival?

Indeed I am.

Then I graciously accept.

So how’s the crush then?

Oh, Sonia’s – :blush: Hop!

:lmao:

You wanker. But, she’s all bitter now, have you noticed?

Yeah, I think Leon’s victories are finally getting to her.

Do you think we should bring that up with the professor? I doubt it’s healthy and I’m starting to worry about her.

Sure. Can’t hurt, right?

Finally, our first real route – in Pokémon speak, the paths that connect various towns, always crawling with Pokémon to catch and Trainers to mug. As we walk down the road, Leon appears out of nowhere to lecture us on capturing Pokémon, but I beat him to the punch so we don’t care. I didn’t even bother screenshotting it.

In short order we run into another weird bug, which lets me show off type advantages!

Bug versus Flying? :mmmhmm:

On the other hand, Flying versus Bug?

:smug:

Every creature in the game has one or two elemental types drawn from a long list ranging from Fire to Ice to Poison to Dragon. Each type interacts with every other type in a set way; for any given type interaction, an attack either does double damage (say, Grass versus Water), half damage (say, Normal versus Rock), or no damage (say, Electric versus Ground). Types also stack, so moves can do quadruple or quarter damage, have the advantages canceled out for regular damage, or have otherwise favorable interactions canceled out entirely (for instance, Psychic does double damage to Fighting, but it does no damage to Dark, so a Psychic attack against a Fighting/Dark Pokémon will have no effect). Of course, because this isn’t already complicated enough, not all type advantages are reciprocal; for instance, Dark takes no damage from and does double damage to psychic Psychic, but Normal and Ghost have no effect on each other. Since advantages are only ever vaguely explained, you end up in to memorize a network of type interactions through either study or experience. It’s an endeavor.

In theory, type relationships are common sense, the sort of thing you can reason out just by comparing them. In practice, half the system only makes sense in some developer’s head, so you best get to memorizing.

When you combine all that with how important stat modifications can be, the two different types of attack, and the set stat ranges and move lists of every type of Pokémon, Pokémon ends up a game based heavily on memorizing countless little elements and how they interact. If you’ve ever run into a kid who can identify any Pokémon by Pokédex number alone – and I have – it’s because the game rewards that type of thinking. Of course, it’s entirely possible to play Pokémon without bothering with all the nitty-gritty details, especially if you just want to play the game solo. If you want to play competitively, then that’s a whole other world with layers I don’t even begin to comprehend (I don’t know what an IV is and I don’t want to find out). With Shield (and Sword to probably), as long as you catch solid Pokémon and fight just about every trainer you run into, you’ll be crazy over leveled at the end of the game and wipe the floor with most of your opponents. Speaking of which!

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Trainer Battle Music

Here’s some loser about to get wrecked! In older generations, with the game laid out in a top-down grid, you measured Trainer line of sight in a literal line (and since the line had a defined ending, it was possible to mess with it and cause glitches, a time-honored Pokémon tradition). Now, the screen just narrows when you approach them vaguely from the front. I covered the basics earlier, so I won’t waste time now – but rest assured, this will be the first of my many victims.

My reward?

Moves are not type restricted (for instance, Double Kick here is a Fighting move that our Fire-type Bruce can pick up). Since even thematically similar types have very different strengths and weaknesses, picking the right moves can round out your team and even let them pack in surprises. Usually the kinds of moves a Pokémon can use make at least a little sense, but you can get some real oddballs in there; knowing which Pokémon can learn what moves is another reason to resort to memorization.

Part way down the Route, we catch this… creature.

Right now, our team is pretty unbalanced; we could really use access to a wider variety of moves. So I Water-type. Because I had to. God I hate it, it’s the ugliest thing in my party.

Incorrect. Look at this bastard.

It’s a face even a mother could hate.

Professor Magnolia's Laboratory - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

So have you unraveled all the secrets of the Dynamax phenomenon yet?

Oh, you flatter me! The whole thing is still full of questions. I’d hoped that my granddaughter would take over my research, but…

My name is Magnolia. Welcome, young Trainers! Now, come, let’s head indoors.

For those of you at home, our Chewtle needs a name. PS Boyo is now locked in.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 12, 2021

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

For those of you at home, our Chewtle needs a name. PS Boyo is now locked in.

Chewtle's evolved form is pretty boss though. If it fits, name him Monsnapitan

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What better name would there be for a Chewtle than Gnargnargnar?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Very stupid name for a snapping turtle but how about Biteface for Chewtle?

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Oct 30, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Quackles posted:

What better name would there be for a Chewtle than Gnargnargnar?
I approve of this, it's just as dumb as Chewtle's face

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rahonavis posted:

Very stupid name for a snapping turtle but how about Biteface for Chewtle?

Bitey McBiteface.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hunter Noventa posted:

Seconding this, I love it. And what could be better for such a hated Pokemon than to make him French?

Crosspeice posted:

Pokemon AND English profanity? Are you making this LP just for me?!

Also I have some Scottish background,

You know what we need while we're in not-Scotland? We need the Pokemon world equivalent of "Yer Da sells Avon".
Yer Da trains Zubats?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

inflatablefish posted:

Seconding this, I love it. And what could be better for such a hated Pokemon than to make him French?

You know what we need while we're in not-Scotland? We need the Pokemon world equivalent of "Yer Da sells Avon".
Yer Da trains Zubats?

Yer da sells Pokedolls.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Do those symbols on the sign decode to anything, or are they just random?

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Black Robe posted:

Yer da sells Pokedolls.

Yer da catches Digimon.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do those symbols on the sign decode to anything, or are they just random?

Far as I can tell, nobody knows. From what I can find, the alphabet sometimes represents words and sounds and sometimes doesn’t. They arrange characters to represent name layouts sometimes, but the alphabets mostly used as a grab bag of letters.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm gonna get behind this one. The dreaded Kalosian unibrow turtle.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Quantum Toast posted:

Bitey McBiteface.

I originally proposed that but didn’t think it would fit? How about McBiteface as a compromise.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Jadecore posted:

I'm gonna get behind this one. The dreaded Kalosian unibrow turtle.

Ehh, calling it in favor of this.

Also, good lord are Wooloos big bags of hit points. Not great for much else, mind.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 30, 2020

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rahonavis posted:

I originally proposed that but didn’t think it would fit? How about McBiteface as a compromise.

Yeah, we'd need at least 15 characters for the whole thing, sadly. The limit is 12 these days, I think.

Falconier111 posted:

Also, good lord are Wooloos big bags of hit points. Not great for much else, mind.
They can be surprisingly tanky, especially if they have Fluffy.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 30, 2020

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

Wrong

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:perfect:

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 5: Every Last Cell In Our Bodies

I trust you received the Pokédex from Sonia. I’m sure you have it complete in no time!

Actually, we wanted to ask –

Hey, Professor, do me a favor, would you? Help me convince Lee he should endorse us for the Gym Challenge!

Oh Leon, why wouldn’t you endorse them?

Hop and Gloria only just started out as Pokémon Trainers… There’s still loads they don’t know yet!

Dearie, I thought your dream was to have everyone in the Galar region become strong Trainers. Isn’t that right?

Well, yeah… you’re not wrong. That goal’s precisely the reason I gave them both Pokémon, in fact. Right, then. In that case… how about this? Let’s see if the two of you can show me such a brilliant battle that I’m left with no choice but to endorse you. And don’t worry, I’ll make sure both your teams are in good shape before the battle starts.

He autoheals us.

Right! I’ll be waiting outside, Gloria

Now remember, be sure to give it everything you’ve got. That’s the best thing you can do for your Pokémon – and for yourself, too.

Hurry it up, Gloria!

Yeah, yeah.

I’m gonna be the greatest Trainer to ever live! And to do that, I need that endorsement to take part in the Gym Challenge! Come at me with everything you have so we can prove to Lee that we’ve got what it takes!

I’m rather interested in seeing how you two young Trainers battle, too.

Listen, you two. The reason I’m unbeatable is because I learned from every battle I see or take part in. That’s how I’ve gone to where I am today. So show me something good in this battle!

Battle! Hop [8-bit; VRC6] - Pokemon Sword and Shield

Have you and your team gotten a bit better? Let’s put you to the test and see what you can take!

Better than you can dish out. On average, my party has half again as many levels, and their comes a point in Pokémon where bigger numbers just win. Hop opens with his Wooloo, which I put down with one hit using Double-Kick (Fighting is strong against Normal).

You better believe it.

Next, he sends in Bonham, who’s quite a bit stronger and, well… Grass-type. He’s screwed. Bruce incinerates Bonham as Hop goes through a list of contextually-determined quotes.

It’ll be a close one. But that’s exactly my kind of match!

Ha, no. His Rookidee is
level 5. I ran into stronger ones on my way here. Bruce disposes of it and I win the fight.

The sting of defeat and the joy of victory… I guess going through both is the key to the two of us getting stronger, right?

Gloria! Hop! Well, after seeing a match like that one… I suppose I have little choice but to give you both and endorsement as Champion!

He gives us letters of Endorsement, which are Key Items (items you can’t throw away). I think you need them to get it to the Gyms? Not like you can get to them anyway without running face first into plot.

Lee… I got destroyed. I don’t deserve this.

Oh, but you do. Gloria’s Pokémon are already very well trained –

:smug:

– but so far, from what I’ve seen, your technique is superior. She’s making use of type advantages and rigorous training, but while that’s important I think you already have a connection with your Pokémon she just doesn’t have yet.

:smugjones:

So yes, I think you’ve earned my endorsement.

Yes! Thanks, Lee! I swear I’m going to win my way through the Gym Challenge to reach you!

You may both be young and still, and plenty rough around the edges, but it was a proper battle. Charizard and I were both feeling the excitement in every last cell in our bodies! Hop, you’ve always tended to get caught up in things like how you throw your Pokéball out… Things that have nothing to do with real strength. Honestly, I’ve been worried about you still obsessing over that sort of nonsense, but it seems you really have grown a bit, Little Brother! [sic] And I’d like to see some more thrilling Pokémon battles out of you, too, Gloria.

All right, Gloria! You and me are going to train up against one another to aim for that Champion’s title! The more we keep battling together, the more our Pokémon grow.

Gloria! Would you look at this? They’re Wishing Stars!

Wow, another key item. I wonder if it has any plot relevance?

They say Wishing Stars fall down for those who have a true wish in their heart, you know.

But they won’t do a thing for you in that state. Give them to me now, and I’ll have you sorted.

First we got to battle against that mad Pokémon in the Slumbering Weald, and now this… It really feels like we’re getting caught up in the adventure of a lifetime!

I do understand your excitement, young man, but don’t get carried away. You may want to save your energy for tomorrow’s journey!

Hey, you lot, why not have some dinner. You must be hungry, right? I’ve been totally obsessed with making the latest trendy curries.

Cue inn-style fade to black.

It’s morning at last! And time for our adventure to truly start!

Good morning to you, young Challengers.

Hop, is it true you really met some Pokémon you didn’t recognize? Is there anything more you in to me about it?

Er, well, there was this weird heavy fog –

As we approached the old ruins in the deep forest, a heavy fog appeared in the area. After a short while, we heard a wolf howl, and we saw what appeared to be a large wolf Pokémon. It had a distinctive red color and pattern in around its large neck and chest, almost like a shield. We had our Pokémon attack it, but none of the attacks landed; they seemed to blur when they made contact, like light bending. It didn’t attack us, though. Every few moments, its eyes glowed and it released more mist from its mouth until we passed out. I don’t know why we passed out, but – I think it was Zamazenta! I’m sure of it!

A right fount of information you are. But you know Zamazenta and Zacian’re just legends, right? People have combed the Weald for years looking for them, it’s highly unlikely they’ve managed to evade detection for centuries.

But… :sigh: I’d swear it was Zamazenta. You saw it too, right, Hop?

I don’t know what Zamazenta is, but I agree!

Well, at the very least I’ll have a look into it. Who knows – it might lineup with the legends. Anyway,
Gloria, Hop, these are for you.

Now we’re cooking with Torkoal. Dynamaxing’s this generation’s biggest mechanical development, and it’s one that won’t come around for a little while. The good professor gives us maybe a quarter of an explanation before cutting herself off, but I’ll sum it all up we get to it.

Now don’t be afraid to go all kinds of places and meet all kinds of Pokémon. That will help fill out your Pokédex, too.

The legend of my reign is finally about to begin!

”Reign”? Graduated from a legend to a king, have you?

Nah, mate, kings are better than legends.

Kings die. Legends live forever.

Bloody hell, Gloria, and you make fun of ME for being dramatic –

No no, look. Most kings just fade into the history books after a couple generations, but legends end up talked about for YEARS. Kings are just great rich ponces with pedigrees, right?

Yeah, but, see, they get to live like kings.

All right, fair, but depending on what KIND of legend we’re talking about…

… Those date back to the Old Unovan Empire. They actually took over a lot of modern Camer a couple centuries before the Third Kalosian War drove them out of Galar proper.

Huh, I thought they never made it all the way down here.

Well, they didn’t hold it for more than a couple decades before they pulled back to their original holdings up north.

It’s mad, though, that there’s a temple that’s thousands of years old within walking distance of our houses… Oh, right.

Railway Station - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Thanks, mate. I’ll make good use of it!

What it’s for.

TMs are items that teach your Pokémon moves; if I remember right, those numbers indicate their place on an overall booth list, kind of like how Pokédexes list Pokémon.’s in this game, you have TMs and TRs, which are reusable and one-shot, respectively, but in the older games you had single-use TMs and multi-use HMs, which taught you moves that directly interfaced with the overworld; for instance, Cut let you cut down trees blocking paths Surf let you travel on water, and Fly functioned as fast travel. Most of them were pretty solid combat moves, too. A lot of people had what they called HM Slaves, Pokémon that rarely took part in battles but sat in the rear letting players use their HM moves; me, I taught them to a particularly hearty Pokémon and used it whenever I needed brute force. Technically this dates back to Gen 7 instead of 8, but I will admit I prefer it this way. It’s no fun to have two take a hit to your team just to be able to sail from island to island, especially when you can get items that do that for you (like you will here).

Wait, almost slipped my mind. Is the train here yet?

Nah, got a couple hours yet. Got something in mind – oh, off she goes.

THERE we are.

I’ve heard Sword and Shield called dress-up simulators and it’s not that far off the mark. You earn far too much money from Trainers to spend on even the most expensive items; instead, I think you’re expected to just drop tens of thousands of PokéYen on random outfits in the boutiques that show up every other town (each of which has their own unique and very pricey inventory). I can and will be blowing our money on expensive clothing for my own amusement. I also have a somewhat anemic fashion sense, so prepare to see a lot of odd-looking outfits. Feel free to go all YLLS on it – go ahead and tell me that that top does NOT go with that blouse. Anyway, just as the train arrives…

What’re you doing here, Mum?

Hop’s Mum: I knew this day was coming since the moment you chose Grookey as a partner, darling.

Prof. Magnolia was kind enough to let us know that you two were setting out. So here – a little gift to see you well set on your way. All the kid you’ll need for camping!

Hop’s Mum: No matter what happens out there, if you and your partner are together, I know you’ll be fine.

Thanks, Mum. And just think how lucky you are – mother to the first-ever pair of Champion brothers! You’ll see!

Hop’s Mum: Of course you will be, darling. Anyway, do have fun and take care of yourselves! Do you welcome back home anytime!

Wish us luck! Not that we’ll need it.

I haven’t been showing it much, but any time Hop gets excited, he crouches and starts waving his arms up and down. It looks extremely dumb.

My excitement’s running ahead of me even faster than that train can go, Gloria!

:rolleyes:

I didn’t mention this in the narrative because it would break the flow, but I caught a Yamper on my way to the train station. Naming’s open.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 12, 2021

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Oh hey, I recognize that remix! Lumen does good work.

Falconier111 posted:

The legend of my reign is finally about to begin!

Graduated from a legend, have you?

Nah, mate, kings are better than legends.

Kings die. Legends live forever.

Obviously the only thing to do is to become a legendary king.

...That said, it occurs to me that this game is set in not!Britain, and yet, there's very little drawn from the arthurian mythos. Hrm.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I vote Elizabeth for the dog, after a certain famous corgi-lover.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

megane posted:

I vote Elizabeth for the dog, after a certain famous corgi-lover.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
I propose Lilibet for the poke-corgi.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Wait do we know if the dog is a Good Boy or a Good Girl? Because it might need to be called Philip.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Seeing all this response is absolutely tragic, because the poor thing got immediately outclassed by several Pokémon I just ran into. If I included in my team, it'll still just end up dragging down the rest of them because of how low its level is. Next time I reach a Pokémon Center I'll rename it Elizabeth and bid it farewell in the traditional manner. On the other hand, I'll give you guys first crack right now at naming my brand-new Axew and Roselia as a consolation prize.

E: Oh, and a Tympole. We've got a bumper crop for reasons I'll be going into next post (which should actually be up today); voting will remain open past when it goes up.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 1, 2020

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, if the Axew is female, let's name it Sombra.

Oh, and a great name for the Tympole would be Tiddles.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 6: Fish and Camp and Rough It Outside

Railway Station - Pokémon Sword and Shield

For some reason, we get a slideshow about the Wild Area, an upcoming feature of the game, that reads a lot like advertising copy. It isn’t very convincing

What are we stopped here for?

Mr. Station Master: Yes… This is the wild area station, make no mistake. I’m sorry to tell you that the train is halted, due to a flock of Wooloo on the tracks.

What’s there to be sorry about? This is brilliant!

:confused:

This Wild Area is massive! There are loads of Pokémon to battle here! You get it, don’t you, Gloria? This is the best possible place to put together the greatest team!

Look at that!

And between there and here are countless new Pokémon waiting to be met! Oh, hello. And if it isn’t Sonia.

“Those two young trainers are setting out on a journey, but what are you doing with your life?” Ah… Never you mind that! Nothing to worry yourselves over! I’m looking into Zamazenta now; I’ve got my eye on a few old libraries I can pop by. If I discover something really huge, then maybe even Gran’ll admit I’ve got some talent!

Sonia, you read Biology at one of the best schools in the Region. I think “talent” accurately describes it.

You know Gran, if I’m not doing anything with it, I may as well not have it. But anyway,
I said you needn’t worry about it! I’m glad to be on the road. Really! It’s been ages. It’ll be great fun to fish and camp and rough it outside again.

Well, I’m off to go stick my head in as many of those red glowing dens as I can find. I’m going to battle this not out of a bunch of Dynamax Pokémon and fill in another page in the tale of my legend!

Ha! Knew it!

What cheek! Dynamax Pokémon are really on another level, you know! Well, the wild area is waiting for you. This is the real start of your adventure!

Wait, Gloria.

Yeah?

I think this is where we part ways. Can’t catch the same Pokémon, you know.

Obviously.

Well…

Hop?

Yeah?

I’m going to beat the snot out of your Pokémon.

I’d like to see you try.

:respek:

Wild Area (Version 1) - Pokémon Sword and Shield

Last update was pretty dialogue/plot heavy. This update will be VERY mechanics heavy. In fact, everything from here on out will be mechanics-related in some way, so if that isn’t your thing feel free to skip it. It’s why this update went up so fast.

The Wild Area. Hoo boy, the Wild Area. In older games, you had a thing called the Safari Zone, a place you went to catch unusual Pokémon in which the rules worked slightly differently; you didn’t fight them, for one, instead fiddling around with ways to raise or drop catch and escape rates, and you only had so much time to wander around before the game kicked you out. In many ways, the Wild Area doesn’t look much like the Safari Zone; it involves combat like everywhere else, connects towns like a Route, and has trainers, wild Pokémon, and all the features you’d find in any other part of the game. However, it has a few glaring differences that demand a different approach.

For instance, while the area has tall grass haunted by Pokémon same as everywhere else, occasionally you’ll run into something wandering well away from both tall grass and any other Pokémon like them. These guys are in a class of their own; they’re usually at least 10 levels above their neighbors, have moves and stats solid enough to paste half your party the first time you encounter them, and can’t be caught unless you have Pokémon of comparable levels (which you probably won’t for a while). With planning and leveling, they can prove some of the most potent members of any party. Without them, you’re boned –

– Oh. Oh poo poo.

Let me tell you about Chungus. Chungus was the first permanent addition I made to my party my first time through Shield. I found her wandering the Wild Area and caught her to fill a gap in my team. She quickly proved her worth, outpacing the filler Pokémon I had with me at the time, and she ended up being my Grass and Poison standby. She was getting a bit long in the tooth by the time we reached the endgame – Roselias aren’t exactly considered top-tier Pokémon – but she still performed admirably in nearly every battle I fought.

What I’m saying is I ended up reloading multiple times to catch this Pokémon.

Anyway, you know how Hop mentioned sticking his head in a Den? He was talking about the news. Normally, they don’t have that glowing pillar in them; if you interact with those, they give you a few Watts (a special currency you can spend on vendors that only show up in the Wild Area). However, some have those pillars of light. Those ones are special. Those ones have Dynamaxed Pokémon.

Battle! (Max Raid) - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Look at that big mother. It’s about the only way you can make that Pokémon look even vaguely intimidating.

First off, you always fight these Pokémon in Raid Battles, which pit teams of four Trainers against one colossal Pokémon. While you can team up with players if you can find them, for the most part, you usually just bring in a bunch of NPC Trainers for backup – and you need it, because these Pokémon are usually strong enough (in this form) to take on all four of you. Of course, you have a secret weapon as well…

Dynamaxing gives your Pokémon a massive stat boost*, grants them access to special moves, and makes them grow unrealistically large – it’s what happened to Boyo back in the first update. You can only use Dynamax in a couple places (most Gyms and Dens, specifically), but your strategy during those fights will often revolve around when and how you use it. Anyway, eventually, your opponent either wipes you and your team, the battle lasts for more than four rounds and the game counts it as a loss, or you managed to defeat it. If you do…

You have the chance to catch it. Captured raid Pokémon are usually substantially stronger than those in the area around them, but that’s not the biggest reason to fight them.

Those top two line items are. In older games, you could sometimes find items called Rare Candies; if you use them on a Pokémon, they’d instantly go up a level, no fuss. Those exist here, but you also get those little EXP candies from raid battles that give your Pokémon free bursts of experience. While potent, rare candies only boost your Pokémon off to the next level, meaning some inefficiency in EXP gain. EXP candies boost them up wholesale. You make copious use of them just keeping your Pokémon up to date.

*Turns out I was wrong!

LiefKatano posted:

:eng101: The only stat that actually increases during Dynamax is your HP, which increases by 50% (+ Dynamax Level * 5%). The increase in power is directly tied to Max Moves having higher base power than the move that makes it (usually; there's two exceptions where this miiiiiight not always be the case Fighting and Poison Max Moves, since the basic versions increase your Attack and Sp. Attack).

Wild Area (Version 2) - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

And speaking of keeping Pokémon up-to-date!

In case you somehow aren’t aware, some Pokémon evolve into new (usually more powerful) types upon hitting the appropriate level. Evolutions vary from type to type: some Pokémon don’t evolve at all, some evolve at set points, some evolve more than once, some evolve depending on various environmental conditions. But in our case, Scorbunny evolves into Raboot at Level 16. Simple enough. If I wanted to, I could have canceled that evolution and kept Bruce a Scorbunny. I don’t know why I would.

I also got this thing; I had a screenshot but my Switch ate it. The funny thing about Dragon types like Axew is that, well, they’re rare. They’re very rare, always have been, and they and their moves tend to be very powerful. Like hell am I passing up the chance to have one on my team at this point in the game.

I found this bloke leaning up against a tree halfway through the area; he’s is one of the many randos bumming around the Wild Area. Some of them challenge you to fights, but others try to extort you for Watts in exchange for some item. I honest-to-God forgot what I got from this guy. It really doesn’t matter much.

Holy poo poo, I actually learned something about this game today. In the first several generations, at any point along a body of water you could throw out a lure and try and fish up some Water Pokémon. So far so good, but you actually needed to find a fishing rod first. In fact, you needed to find usually one of three, and the easiest to find only ever fished up Magikarp (Pokémon whose trademark move is Splash, which doesn’t do anything). I’d unconsciously assumed I needed to do something similar in Shield and never bothered with the fishing spots, catching Water-types through other means. But as it turns out, the game just kind of gives you a rod automatically and lets you fish from the start. :pseudo:

I fished up a Goldeen. It was garbage, so I didn’t bother catching or screenshotting it. Instead (even though the Switch also ate this screenshot), I found one of these in a Den; apparently they evolve into these, which are good and Water-type, so it took Monsnapitan's place. Sorry, little buddy, but you just got upstaged.

Finally, I didn’t think I would actually run into one of these. Berries first debuted in Gen 2 as special items that could either provide beneficial effects like healing or curing status effects – and unlike other such items, your Pokémon could hold them and use them automatically – or be planted in special furrows. If planted, watered, and left alone for a while, those Berries would grow into trees that would drop two or three more. At some point in the last few generations they dropped the formality and just had permanent trees that could drop every kind of Berry when you shake them.

If you shake them too much, though, a Pokémon falls out. I do kind of miss the whole raise-your-own-food aspect of Berry production, but I don’t mind the streamlining. In this generation, though, you can do something a little special with them.

One of the things you can do outside of towns is set up camp. It isn’t as impressive an experience as the advertising seemed to make it out to be. You can basically do two things; play with your Pokémon, or make them some food.

You have access to a few different kinds of toys you can use to play with your troops; aside from the :3: factor, it gives them a little bit of free experience if they take the bait and come over to investigate. But the meat (lol) of the experience comes from the other option: making curry. Instead of eating up this post with pictures illustrating the process, I’ll just direct you to this YouTube video (it’s the only one I could find that actually shows the process, bizarrely enough). If you do all of that right, your Pokémon are healed to full, gain some experience, and gain a nice boost to Affection – and for once in this post, I’ll hold back from explaining the mechanics involved in that subsystem. Good Lord, this post is nearing two thousand words of mechanics chat.

And we’ve reached the exit to Motostoke, beyond which lies the plot. As such, I’m calling it here for today. As I mentioned before, we need names for a Roselia, an Axew (which is in fact female) and a Tympole.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 12, 2021

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
:eng101: The only stat that actually increases during Dynamax is your HP, which increases by 50% (+ Dynamax Level * 5%). The increase in power is directly tied to Max Moves having higher base power than the move that makes it (usually; there's two exceptions where this miiiiiight not always be the case Fighting and Poison Max Moves, since the basic versions increase your Attack and Sp. Attack).

Overall I do kinda prefer Dynamax over Z-Moves, though if most Z-Moves actually had a secondary effect rather than just being "deals massive, gently caress-off amounts of damage" they'd win me over.

...Mega Evolution's still better, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I already voted, but I'm gonna suggest again: Sombra for Axew, Tiddles for Tympole.

Oh, and if we ever catch a Shellder, let's name it Fluffy.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

There's a trick with the berry trees. When you interact with them you'll see that they tremble between you shaking them; watch the time between tremors. When it's shaking almost constantly your next shake will drop a Pokemon.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

For instance, while the area has tall grass haunted by Pokémon same as everywhere else, occasionally you’ll run into something wandering well away from both tall grass and any other Pokémon like them. These guys are in a class of their own; they’re usually at least 10 levels above their neighbors, have moves and stats solid enough to paste half your party the first time you encounter them, and can’t be caught unless you have Pokémon of comparable levels (which you probably won’t for a while). With planning and leveling, they can prove some of the most potent members of any party. Without them, you’re boned –
Important thing to mention: while some of them are "strong looking" and as such, can't be caught no matter what, I'm like 99% certain they hosed with the catch rate formula in this game - your pokemon can't just be close to their level - if the wild pokemon is even a single level higher than whatever 'mon you have out on the field, the catch rate goes to poo poo. Like, something can be in the red, paralyzed, have a decently high catch rate, and it will no sell a dozen ultra balls.

Falconier111 posted:

And we’ve reached the exit to Motostoke, beyond which lies the plot. As such, I’m calling it here for today. As I mentioned before, we need names for a Roselia, an Axew (which is in fact female) and a Tympole.
I'm gonna suggest Mamoru for the Roselia, for what should be obvious reasons. As for Axew... how about Stabby McStabFace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Oh god those curry recipes.

TOAST CURRY. DRY PASTA CURRY. SWEET FRIED FOOD CURRY.
We are now 100% confirmed to be in :britain:.

Also, if our Axew will eventually evolve into a Haxorus then surely we have to name it L33t.