Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

Blaziken386 posted:

Hey who wants to learn a fun fact

in gen 8, they changed the ability Flash Fire, and gave it a Field Effect! What's the effect, you might ask?

If a pokemon with Flash Fire is first in the party, 50% of the time, wild pokemon encounters will be forced to be fire-type, if possible.

The beginning of Route 3 has oodles of Vulpix (in Sw) or Growlithe (in Sh), both of whom have Flash Fire as their ability. (And they're not part of the "random encounter" table, they're purely overworld spawns, so they won't interfere with looking for the fire bug)

So, it's really really easy to catch a sizzlipede, provided you know about this one obscure game mechanic which is never mentioned and is entirely new to the series.
Stuff like that is never explained, but by golly they WILL hammer in type-matchups until the final boss :downs:

You know what, that’s just dumb enough to make it into my next post. Would you mind if I quoted you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Falconier111 posted:

You know what, that’s just dumb enough to make it into my next post. Would you mind if I quoted you?
Go for it, my man

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Blaziken386 posted:

in gen 8, they changed the ability Flash Fire, and gave it a Field Effect! What's the effect, you might ask?

If a pokemon with Flash Fire is first in the party, 50% of the time, wild pokemon encounters will be forced to be fire-type, if possible.

The beginning of Route 3 has oodles of Vulpix (in Sw) or Growlithe (in Sh), both of whom have Flash Fire as their ability. (And they're not part of the "random encounter" table, they're purely overworld spawns, so they won't interfere with looking for the fire bug)

So, it's really really easy to catch a sizzlipede, provided you know about this one obscure game mechanic which is never mentioned and is entirely new to the series.
Stuff like that is never explained, but by golly they WILL hammer in type-matchups until the final boss :downs:

oh what the gently caress

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
It's a nice change, imo (though it would be nice if we got more. did we really need Lightning Rod to attract Electric types when Static already does that...? though I guess it's consistent with Storm Drain) but it is weird that isn't stated in-game anywhere.

...I wonder if that IS said anywhere by a random NPC. Is there a script dump of NPC dialogue anywhere?

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

LiefKatano posted:

It's a nice change, imo (though it would be nice if we got more. did we really need Lightning Rod to attract Electric types when Static already does that...? though I guess it's consistent with Storm Drain) but it is weird that isn't stated in-game anywhere.

...I wonder if that IS said anywhere by a random NPC. Is there a script dump of NPC dialogue anywhere?

oh please oh please oh PLEASE let this be a thing

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary

LiefKatano posted:

Far as I recall, it's not mentioned anywhere in the game.

Also, goddamn it, GF! I tried for a good thirty minutes looking for a Sizzlipede on my second file, and ultimately gave up and just went with Vulpix as my Fire type. I could've used that info so much sooner!

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 18: Awaiting Your Directions

Wild Area (Version 2) - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

While we’re here in the Wild Area, I think I’ll take the chance to get away with some mechanics chat I’ve been putting off for a bit. Like, a lot. As in, this entire update will be mechanics.

Can you see how the colors are a bit bleached out here? That’s because there’s a weather effect on the battlefield (in this case, excessive sunlight, though they can be rain, hail, sandstorms, etc.). You can only have one weather effect out at a time and they persist either until the battle ends or you replace them with another weather effect; if they reflect some environmental condition of the overworld (like in this case) they can also be present the moment battle starts. At the most basic level, they boost a particular Type’s damage (Fire in this case), plus a bunch of other minor buffs and debuffs. More importantly, they play into Abilities – remember how Tiddles suddenly stopped being Burned? Like that. You can get healing, damage boosts, stat mods, and more will out of them as long as you use them right. I rarely bother, filthy casual that I am, but NPC Trainers often make use of them as parts of various strategies.

I also promised to explain the term “Genwunner”. I probably don’t have to tell you that nerds are prone to particularly destructive forms of nostalgia, and for some, that nostalgia ends up directed towards the first generation of Pokémon games. Known as “Genwunners” for how frequently they bark about Gen 1, these folks enthusiastically maintain that the original games were by far superior to any of their heirs and that any changes to the formula drive the games further from idealized original experience. Constitutional Originalism as applied to virtual cockfights, if you would. They have a reputation for the same sort of aggressive, sneering contempt you find in any such gaggle of elitist nerds.

As someone who was there at the beginning, Genwunnism has always struck me as a bit funny. On the one hand, Pokémon Red and Blue were brilliant games, far ahead of their time. While elemental types had been around for more than a decade, they were the first games to build a complicated elemental system that rewarded clever thinking and planning; while other games had included monster party members (Dragon Quest), they were the first to not only make collectible party members your only party members, but have your opponents operate on the same system; while other games had ways different games could interface, they were the first to implement a trading system (which I’ll probably get into in a future post) that incentivized both obsessive collecting and social interaction. They were landmark games that inspired an entire genre of knockoffs, gave birth to an anime which gave birth to multiple movies, and left a permanent mark on video gaming as a whole.

But “seminal” does not mean “good”. The outdated design, frustratingly nitpicky gameplay, and graphics and sound so primitive people at the time criticized the games for it would have been enough to tank their replayability now, but they were also buggy, janky messes. When I say they were ahead of their time, in part I mean they were so big they couldn’t fit properly in the cartridge. In order to ship them out, they had to cut out (among other things) a piece of programming called a sanity checker, which would detect if anything had gone wrong and shut the game down to prevent data corruption. Without it, all sorts of bizarre design choices, spaghetti code, and various hidden issues quickly made themselves known. Gen 1 was famous for the sheer weight of all its glitches; lots of people have heard of Missingno., the Pokémon born from a memory error, but I remember catching Fire-types at sea by manipulating my placement on the map and watching a friend collect dozens of rare candies by exploiting a glitch. Hell, these games were so buggy Ephraim225 made an entire LP just to show them all off, and over its course they discovered at least two previously-undiscovered glitches in a game that’s been played continuously for over 20 years. The bugginess doesn’t make them bad games, per se, but it does make them badly designed. People had a lot of fun playing with that bad design! They sure do generate stories people love to retell. That’s not enough to put it above later, cleaner games.

To some extent, the Genwunner is a stereotype. You’ll find very few people so enthusiastic to prove Gen 1’s superiority that they’ll go looking for fights over it. But that philosophical tendency does stalk a lot of the Pokémon fan base, same as it does so many others. That doesn’t make it any more applicable or useful. Gen 1 games were products of their time, and fetishizing them because they were seminal or fun to break is not a productive use of your time.

Thank you for attending my TED Talk.

Granted, awful and impenetrable design has never left to the Pokémon series:

Blaziken386 posted:

:cripes:

In case you can’t tell, he’s jumping off the ground.

After waiting far too long for this to trigger, I FINALLY got my first Affection reaction. Affection in Gen 8 is a consolidation of a couple different hidden stats that governed your relationship with your Pokémon, the oldest of which goes all the way back to Pokémon Yellow (where it governed how much your Pikachu hated you). Here, it correlates to how much TLC you give Pokémon; as is traditional for the series, there are a billion different dumb and obscure ways raise it, but the most obvious are including them in battle, using toys to play with them at camp, and feeding them lots of curry. The bonuses are so valuable it’s worth taking the time to cultivate a personal, affectionate relationship with your creatures by sitting them down and forcing food down their throats until you run out of patience. You keep track by watching those little alerts as they show up, since they change depending on Affection level.

This is probably a really deep cut, but have any of you played any of the later Persona games until up to the endgame? Early on, your Navigator character acts as mission control, by which I mean they offer you useless advice, give you information you don’t need on enemies, or tell you things you already know. However, as the game goes on, they start gaining more and more functions they use at random; healing, free attacks, stat boosts, mana restoration. Those bonuses, though always helpful, are random enough that you can’t count on them being strategically relevant. But once you hit the last part of the game, the fact that the AI isn’t planning what it’s sending out stops mattering because its actions are so frequent and powerful that they get more work done then most of your active party in every fight. I think of Affection a lot like that (though less so). Even a little Affection magnifies how much experience your Pokémon get, while as the stat rises they start dodging more frequently, refusing to faint, and getting extra criticals. Even though you can’t control or predict when Affection bonuses will kick in, they build and build until you can count on them just getting luckier than their opponents. I can and will be farming Affection.

I’ve also been hitting up various Dens gathering Watts to spend on random crap. I’ve caught a couple Pokémon, some of which are better than others, most notably a nice pupitar that’s substantially stronger than the rest of my team –

Wait. I didn’t think they… it can’t be…

No way!

IT IS!

Let me tell you about Sad Carnival.

Drifloons show up natively a little bit later in the game; I originally attacked one just because I thought it looked fascinating. When I found out it was Ghost-type (which I’ll get to later), knowing that I’d need it for future fights, I caught one, put her in my party, and promptly discovered she was about as hardy as an actual balloon. I wanted to keep her around, I really did, but even though she’d ladle out serious damage every time she fought, it only ever took one or two hits to knock her out. And then I hit the appropriate part of the game. Instantly, Sad Carnival went from an anchor around my neck that I was about to abandon in my box to the most important Pokémon in my party, eventually almost soloing the next Gym. If this creature even begins to live up to her, it’ll stick around in my party until the end of the game.

I’m an endless bucket of trivia, as you can probably tell, but I think that’s about enough for this update. I think it’s about time for party reorganization! I’m going to be keeping that drifloon, but with that pupitar hanging around in my party I’ll have a couple spaces to clear up. I need the thread's input; which two Pokémon get kicked out of my party? The current available Pokémon are:
  • Bruce the Raboot
  • Chairman the Roselia
  • Murphy the Mudbray
  • L337 the Axew
  • Tiddles the Palpitoad
  • Dietrich the Toxel
  • Unnamed Pupitar
If you don't remember what those Pokémon are, copy the names and put them into google. Iwill also need names for the drifloon and the pupitar. Voting probably won’t close for a couple updates, but the sooner I get a consensus the sooner I start training them up. I’d also appreciate some more name suggestions for that Hatenna and Morpeko; the current leaders (in that they have the only votes) are Morgan and Jekyll, respectively.

I’d also like some input on format. Recently I’ve been spending more time on commentary and mechanics than narrative. Does the current mixture work for everyone? Or should I be favoring one side or another?

Finally, I’ve come to a conclusion: I will not be visiting the Isle of Armor. I have
plans for how I’m going plot the rest of the LP and there just isn’t enough room to shove the entire island in. But the real reason? They left the U out of Armour :argh:

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 13, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The affection system was better in the Alola games. I like being able to pet my adorable pokeymans and figure out exactly where each one prefers to be petted. That said it was also broken as hell, but I don't care because :3:

I think the current mix works. I prefer narrative but that's because I'm a nerd who's played these games for 20 years and I know most of the mechanics stuff already. Maybe keep the main part of the posts narrative, and add any mechanics and tech talk at the end where it won't interrupt the flow of the story? You'll have to judge what feels best on a case by case basis I think.

Falconier111 posted:

But the real reason? They left the U out of Armour :argh:

The only reason anyone ever needs. (seriously why. why.)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Falconier111 posted:

Finally, I’ve come to a conclusion: I will not be visiting the Isle of Armor. I have plans for how I’m going plot the rest of the LP and there just isn’t enough room to shove the entire island in. But the real reason? They left the U out of Armour :argh:

But that's precisely why you should go. Because the only thing missing from the Isle of Armor is U!

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Quick addition to weather effects. They only ever last for 5 turns (though there are four different hold items for increasing the duration of the four main weather effects), with three exceptions:

- The weather is natural, meaning an area happens to have that weather effect occurring when you pass through.
- The Desolate Land ability is triggered, causing harsh sunlight.
- The Primordial Sea ability is triggered, causing heavy rain. Both Desolate Land and Primordial Sea aren't available in SwSh though, at least to my knowledge.

The abilities Drought, Drizzle, Sand Stream, and Snow Warning used to cause permanent weather for a battle, but Gen 6 changed them into causing the weather for the standard five turns.

As for your team, I say kick Murphy and the unnamed Pupitar. Though using a rotating party is stupidly easy this Gen. I had like nine guys I swapped between.

Sword_of_Dusk fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 13, 2020

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

So, something kind of interesting about how friendship/affection works in this game compared to previous entries in the series: all of the ways friendship used to go in the old games only work up to a score of 160, and beyond that point (the max is 255, as you no doubt expect) only curry will raise it. However, they also changed the threshold for all pokemon that evolve through friendship to 160, so you don't actually need to engage with that system to trigger those evolutions.

Black Robe posted:

The affection system was better in the Alola games. I like being able to pet my adorable pokeymans and figure out exactly where each one prefers to be petted. That said it was also broken as hell, but I don't care because :3:

This is valid, I like that concept but in this game I wish I could opt out of it. The bonuses are absurd and when they trigger I always feel like the game is cheating in my favour (which is fine sometimes, but I'd rather it didn't do when I'm on a challenge run or something).

Also, put me down as another person frustrated by the misspelling of Isle of Armour. That said, maybe if you're still enjoying doing the LP after finishing the main story, you can cover the DLC as some kind of epilogue? (Honestly also as a pacing thing I think it's a bad idea to go there partway through the main story, I did that on one playthrough and getting the "EXP charm" it gives you utterly buggers the EXP curve and makes you overlevelled for literally everything. There is no better way to make the game a complete snoozefest.)

On the note of the original games not including any kind of sanity checking and giving us all sorts of fun glitches to play with... honestly, Gamefreak/TPC still aren't great about this. The ability to transfer from Pokemon Go to Pokemon Home (and therefore to Sword/Shield) came out a few days ago, and it turns out that pokemon that (a) have alternate forms and (b) appear in Let's Go get assigned the level-up moves of their Kanto forms regardless of which form they actually are. I now have an Alolan Vulpix that knows Will-o-wisp and Flamethrower. It's magical :magical:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

My kick votes are Murphy and Tiddles.

Also: The update went up on a Friday, so that Drifloon is gonna go places

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Falconier111 posted:

The bugginess doesn’t make them bad games, per se, but it does make them badly designed.
To be fair, while RBY are glitchy, they're only glitchy if you know the specific exploit to make a glitch happen. If you play them normally, you'll likely never see any of it. The only glitch I can think of that you would see playing normally is the fact that Focus Energy/Dire Hit make critical hit chance lower, rather than higher. Considering they had to squeeze all of that into half a megabyte, I wouldn't call them badly designed at all. Exploitable as all get out, but not because of poor design choices.

Contrast that with most modern games - "hey, download this 10GB day one patch, or else your character might randomly fall through the floor in the final boss room and permanently corrupt your save" :v:

Falconier111 posted:

I’m an endless bucket of trivia, as you can probably tell, but I think that’s about enough for this update. I think it’s about time for party reorganization! I’m going to be keeping that drifloon, but with that pupitar hanging around in my party I’ll have a couple spaces to clear up. I need the thread's input; which two Pokémon get kicked out of my party?
If you're keeping Pupitar, I'm gonna vote that you axe L337 the Axew, sorry. You can't have two giant physical powerhouses who evolve at level 55, that'd be silly. Even if it's not Dragon-type mechanically, it's one in spirit.

I'm also voting you replace Tiddles the Palpitoad with Drifloon, solely because I don't like it's design. It's definitely my least favourite of the "Water/Ground Amphibians" archetype.

As for names, I'm gonna throw in Majora for Pupitar (because right now it's shaped like a mask), and Fiesta for Drifloon. (In honor of the international balloon fiesta.)

Also speaking of names, I've no opinion on hattena/morgan, but but I would like to also vote in favor of Jekyll, because it's cute. :3:

Black Robe posted:

I liked the one in Alola simply because it would prompt at the end of battle (so I remembered to do it), it let you take care of status conditions for free, and (most importantly), it lasted as long as I wanted it to. The curry minigame takes way too long for me to bother with, unless I'm in the middle of the field and want a full-party heal.

Explopyro posted:

Also, put me down as another person frustrated by the misspelling of Isle of Armour. That said, maybe if you're still enjoying doing the LP after finishing the main story, you can cover the DLC as some kind of epilogue? (Honestly also as a pacing thing I think it's a bad idea to go there partway through the main story, I did that on one playthrough and getting the "EXP charm" it gives you utterly buggers the EXP curve and makes you overlevelled for literally everything. There is no better way to make the game a complete snoozefest.)

On the note of the original games not including any kind of sanity checking and giving us all sorts of fun glitches to play with... honestly, Gamefreak/TPC still aren't great about this. The ability to transfer from Pokemon Go to Pokemon Home (and therefore to Sword/Shield) came out a few days ago, and it turns out that pokemon that (a) have alternate forms and (b) appear in Let's Go get assigned the level-up moves of their Kanto forms regardless of which form they actually are. I now have an Alolan Vulpix that knows Will-o-wisp and Flamethrower. It's magical :magical:
Mark me down as someone who's also extremely annoyed by the addition of the exp charm. The game was already easy, gamefreak! Stop trying to kill whatever challenege remains! Or at the very least, let me turn it off, arrghghgh :argh:

Also, as someone who's only level 21 in Go, and has no Alolan Vulpix (because I live in a desert), let it be known that I am extremely jealous of your Freezerburn Ninetales.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like the narrative so far and don't necessarily need more mechanics in the main update, but it would be nice to show off the Pokemon fights a little more, especially the story-relevant ones like the rival trainers and gym leaders. Right now we're getting a couple images a fight and you're not even showing the full team, which kind of feels like you're sidelining the main reason to actually play the game.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Blaziken386 posted:

Also, as someone who's only level 21 in Go, and has no Alolan Vulpix (because I live in a desert), let it be known that I am extremely jealous of your Freezerburn Ninetales.

I am seriously considering nicknaming her that now. Thanks!

Also, you might be able to get one if you hatch the pink eggs you get out of gifts, although the odds aren't great right now (The Silph Road suggests it's around 6.9%), though do note it hatches at level 20 and you need to level it to 24 for Flamethrower (which is 8 power-ups in Go). If you want to try and need someone to send you gifts ingame, I can post my code.

I don't know how long the bug is going to persist, though. I was freaking out on Wednesday when I first found out about it because the transfer feature was only open to level 40 players (which I'm not!) and I thought surely they'd fix it before rolling out the feature to everyone else. But nope. I'm not sure what the point of staggering access this way is except to let the more experienced players find bugs, except then they don't fix them... Oh, Niantic.

Edit: I should also mention, some of the sanity-checking measures do work. These pokemon with illegal moves apparently can't be traded or used in competitive battling, but you can move them between saves with Pokemon Home just fine.

Edit 2: As of 11/16/20, they've fixed this bug. Don't try to do this.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 16, 2020

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caught up on this thread. I am enjoying the game, and that's with distancing myself from Sword/Shield once the whole nonsense over the Pokedex size erupted and turned me off.

Falconier111 posted:

But “seminal” does not mean “good”. The outdated design, frustratingly nitpicky gameplay, and graphics and sound so primitive people at the time criticized the games for it would have been enough to tank their replayability now, but they were also buggy, janky messes. When I say they were ahead of their time, in part I mean they were so big they couldn’t fit properly in the cartridge. In order to ship them out, they had to cut out (among other things) a piece of programming called a sanity checker, which would detect if anything had gone wrong and shut the game down to prevent data corruption. Without it, all sorts of bizarre design choices, spaghetti code, and various hidden issues quickly made themselves known. Gen 1 was famous for the sheer weight of all its glitches; lots of people have heard of Missingno., the Pokémon born from a memory error, but I remember catching Fire-types at sea by manipulating my placement on the map and watching a friend collect dozens of rare candies by exploiting a glitch. Hell, these games were so buggy Ephraim225 made an entire LP just to show them all off, and over its course they discovered at least two previously-undiscovered glitches in a game that’s been played continuously for over 20 years. The bugginess doesn’t make them bad games, per se, but it does make them badly designed. People had a lot of fun playing with that bad design! They sure do generate stories people love to retell. That’s not enough to put it above later, cleaner games.
My personal favorite glitch from RBY is the old Safari Zone glitch. You'd do a run through the Safari Zone, then Surf over to the Seafoam Islands from Fuchsia (making sure you did not battle any trainers along the way), Surf up and down the coast and viola, you'd be able to catch Safari Zone Pokemon without having to gamble on Safari Balls. It was the only way I was ever able to catch things like Chansey or Khangaskhan back then.

As for votes, dump Toxel and Pupitar, and name our new Drifloon Goodyear.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

kvx687 posted:

I like the narrative so far and don't necessarily need more mechanics in the main update, but it would be nice to show off the Pokemon fights a little more, especially the story-relevant ones like the rival trainers and gym leaders. Right now we're getting a couple images a fight and you're not even showing the full team, which kind of feels like you're sidelining the main reason to actually play the game.

I've been struggling to get enough images because of how the screenshot button is positioned; I have a nasty habit of hitting buttons and making things happen while shifting my grip for it, and it takes enough time to position it right that I often end up missing important moments. But I can compensate with a little effort. Do you want me to just show pictures of the individual Pokémon or stagger them and their fates through my recounting of the battle?

Blaziken386 posted:

To be fair, while RBY are glitchy, they're only glitchy if you know the specific exploit to make a glitch happen. If you play them normally, you'll likely never see any of it. The only glitch I can think of that you would see playing normally is the fact that Focus Energy/Dire Hit make critical hit chance lower, rather than higher. Considering they had to squeeze all of that into half a megabyte, I wouldn't call them badly designed at all. Exploitable as all get out, but not because of poor design choices.

I beg to differ :v:. I mean, a lot of those are really nitpicky, but a lot of them are just silly. My personal favorite is that you can evolve a Pokémon that needs to use a Stone by leveling it up in the Trainer battle, then finishing the battle with a Pokémon out whose internal ID matches the relevant Stone's internal ID. A few border cases like this are to be expected; dozens? Not so much.

Granted, at least it's not one of the early Final Fantasies, where half the magic didn't even work :v:

Explopyro posted:

This is certainly a possibility, though I wouldn't know what to do with leveling. Doesn't Isle of Armor have set Pokémon levels at about where we are now? If Gloria went through it with her endgame Pokémon, she'd be going :smugdog: so often her face would stick like that. Or maybe I'll just fish out a bunch of backbenchers and beat it with the guys you lot rejected :v:

AradoBalanga posted:

As for votes, dump Toxel and Pupitar, and name our new Drifloon Goodyear.

Gotta admit, Dietrich has been nothing but a disappointment so far. Maybe it's because she hasn't evolved yet, but I have literally never put her in a combat situation where she didn't end up fainting. Even if she had a type advantage and was several levels higher.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Falconier111 posted:

This is certainly a possibility, though I wouldn't know what to do with leveling. Doesn't Isle of Armor have set Pokémon levels at about where we are now? If Gloria went through it with her endgame Pokémon, she'd be going :smugdog: so often her face would stick like that. Or maybe I'll just fish out a bunch of backbenchers and beat it with the guys you lot rejected :v:

Nope! If you go there after you're the champion, everything will be scaled to level 60ish. A lot of it is still kind of a cakewalk (the early battles have small teams and not-fully-evolved pokemon), but it's not the complete joke it would be if it didn't scale at all, and once you get past the first couple of fights it's on par with the endgame. There are some really fun battles and characters there. (I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I enjoyed the Isle of Armour a lot more than the Crown Tundra honestly.)

I think it's a bit weird they only have the two versions, rather than any more scaling options for midgame, but "go immediately" and "go after finishing the game" probably were the two biggest things they needed to cover anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Falconier111 posted:

Gotta admit, Dietrich has been nothing but a disappointment so far. Maybe it's because she hasn't evolved yet, but I have literally never put her in a combat situation where she didn't end up fainting. Even if she had a type advantage and was several levels higher.

Toxel is basically abra and is utter garbage until it evolves and becomes cool.

Which is a shame because it's also adorable and deserves more love than being force fed candies so it can be something other than complete deadweight.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat

Falconier111 posted:

I've been struggling to get enough images because of how the screenshot button is positioned; I have a nasty habit of hitting buttons and making things happen while shifting my grip for it, and it takes enough time to position it right that I often end up missing important moments. But I can compensate with a little effort. Do you want me to just show pictures of the individual Pokémon or stagger them and their fates through my recounting of the battle?

Either would be nice, or you could do what Crosspeice does and pull the their lineup off Bulbapedia. I'd like to be able to get a general feel for the teams and strategies but I'm not too chuffed on the details.

I do want to reiterate that I'm enjoying the narrative so far, you're doing an excellent job of characterizing a blank slate. I'm also pretty impressed at your update speed, I think you've put out about as many posts as every other LP I'm following since you started.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Toxel seems to be one of those pokemon that doesn't get usable until it evolves. It's a lot better afterwards, especially if it has the right ability.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

kvx687 posted:

Either would be nice, or you could do what Crosspeice does and pull the their lineup off Bulbapedia. I'd like to be able to get a general feel for the teams and strategies but I'm not too chuffed on the details.

I do want to reiterate that I'm enjoying the narrative so far, you're doing an excellent job of characterizing a blank slate. I'm also pretty impressed at your update speed, I think you've put out about as many posts as every other LP I'm following since you started.

:blush: Aw shucks (And same to everyone else for your nice compliments). As far as speed, I blame the Fatal and Friends thread for teaching me how to analyze a lot of information really quickly (also, don't think I didn't recognize you, thread regulars). It's even where I got my avatar! I highly recommend it to anyone interested in game design or tabletop games.

Explopyro posted:

Nope! If you go there after you're the champion, everything will be scaled to level 60ish. A lot of it is still kind of a cakewalk (the early battles have small teams and not-fully-evolved pokemon), but it's not the complete joke it would be if it didn't scale at all, and once you get past the first couple of fights it's on par with the endgame. There are some really fun battles and characters there. (I seem to be in a minority on this one, but I enjoyed the Isle of Armour a lot more than the Crown Tundra honestly.)

I think it's a bit weird they only have the two versions, rather than any more scaling options for midgame, but "go immediately" and "go after finishing the game" probably were the two biggest things they needed to cover anyway.

That… Might change things. I'll see how much energy I have once I complete the game's main storyline, but if I decide I want to continue, I'll probably do the postgame and DLCs together in a new thread.

also I tweaked a couple lines in the first part of update 14 to better lineup with where I'm going, you might want to go back and check it out

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 14, 2020

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I have a name to suggest for our Drifloon. We need something inflatable, terrifying, and British. Let's call it Mr Blobby.

(Not terrified yet? Check out this footage from the now-defunct Mr Blobby theme park. Horror really kicks in at about 6 minutes. This was a legit theme park, not a deliberately horror-themed one or anything. People actually thought children would enjoy this.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

inflatablefish posted:

I have a name to suggest for our Drifloon. We need something inflatable, terrifying, and British. Let's call it Mr Blobby.

(Not terrified yet? Check out this footage from the now-defunct Mr Blobby theme park. Horror really kicks in at about 6 minutes. This was a legit theme park, not a deliberately horror-themed one or anything. People actually thought children would enjoy this.)

oh my god the NOSTALGIA

I had managed to forget all about this thing

my childhood! I remember watching Noel's House Party regularly for years.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

I remember visiting that place as a kid! Just barely, I'd have only been seven or so at the time. That footage makes it look a lot worse than it was from how blown-out the audio is, it was mostly just kind of a circus vibe.

Probably absolutely awful if you had a fear of clowns, though. Mr Blobby is kind of the arch-clown when you think about it.

For those who aren't familiar with Mr Blobby:

One of the biggest TV hits in the UK in the 90's was Noel's House Party, a variety show aimed primarily at children. A recurring character was Mr Blobby, a mascot character who was a whirlwind of slapstick chaos everywhere he went, cheerfully bowling over stage equipment, sets, co-stars and himself while yelling his heavily-distorted cry of "blobby blobby blobby!". A kid in the 90's would either absolutely love the madcap antics, or sleep with the lights on in case he ate you - or both! He was a massive breakout character for an already hugely popular show, getting his own hit single as well as multiple attempts at theme parks.

Honestly I think his name would be perfect for a Stufful/Bewear if you ever use one.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 14, 2020

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Update 19: It’s Only Natural

After fannying about in the Wild Area for a while, we go up to this guy and he checks our badges to make sure we’re qualified to continue the Challenge. We are.

It’s only natural. After such a humiliating defeat, there’s no way he could look the Champion in the eye. I’m sure he’ll withdraw from the challenge.

A loss is a loss, it’s not the end of the world. If you think THAT’S enough to stop Hop…

Not a loss like this one.

:raise:

Anyway, I have a meeting with the Chairman, so I must excuse myself.

… Worried now, going to call Hop. Rotom, mobile phone mode.

Hop, how are – loving hell, you sound terrible. You right, mate?

I – Hop, talk to me. What happened?

That was… That was really cruel of him. And it’s untrue, you know that. You’re me rival, I know how good you –

…Oh my god…

Hop, talk to me. God knows I lean on you enough, ye c’n lean back!

No, Hop, I’m nae gon just bloody well leave you alone! I tried that shite out on you six years ago and we know drat well where that would’ve led if ye hadn’t ignored me!

I know it’s nae that dire, Hop. Yer still in a bad straight, I don’t care.

Look, mate. Call your Mum and Da and let them know. Hell, catch a skytaxi and see them in person…

Then talk to me mum. She knows you well as anyone, she’ll help get you sorted.

That’s good to hear, mate. Call me after you two have your chinwag?

Same to you, Hop. Best of luck. Talk to you later.

I’m going to shove Bede’s head so far up his arse he’ll have to see out his teeth.

Hammerlocke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

:catstare:

Chairman Rose's Theme - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

I’ve been collecting both Wishing Stars and Gym Badges as fast as I can!

Good work, Bede! We’re proud of how much you’ve gotten done.

Thank you, Ms. Oleana :blush:.
If I gather enough Wishing Stars, that will help solve the problem that’s been bothering you, right, Mr. Chairman?

Oh, it’s not just about me. It’s for the future of the whole Galar region. And we’ll need more than just Wishing Stars. We need a powerful Pokémon Trainer, too – someone like the Champion.

With all due respect, sir, I was able to show Hop, one of the Champion-endorsed Trainers, just how outclassed he was. I’m sure I’ll be able to defeat the Champion. No, I WILL defeat the Champion!

That’s the spirit! It takes healthy competition to really keep the Gym Challenge energized!

Oh, Bede, can we talk for a moment?

Of course, Ms. Oleana.

As you know, Wishing Stars are those mysterious stones that are even attached to your Dynamax Bands. But there’s far more to them! They act as reservoirs for what we at Macro Cosmos call “Galar particles”, which emit small amounts of easily-utilized radiation that can be easily converted into electrical energy.

Wait, radiation? How much radioactive material are we gathering in one place? Is it safe to use enough of them the power of whole region? And are we sure we’re not exhausting a limited supply?

You have an inquisitive mind, I see! Excellent! It’s always good to see the next generation stepping up to the plate. Perhaps the greatest mystery of Galar particles is that they tone down the radiation they emit to safe levels around humans and Pokémon. We’ve performed – and continue to perform! – a great many studies on Galar particles and human health, and no matter how many particles you gather together, the radiation they emit is never enough to pierce human skin – less, if you bring thin-skinned Pokémon with you. Even when Pokémon are Dynamaxed and absorb Galar particles, they show no health issues or genetic damage; as far as we can tell, they simply absorb the particles, use them while the process lasts, and release them harmlessly as they return to normal.

Don’t we not understand how the Dynamax process works?

A fair point, and one we’ve investigated extensively. I’m afraid we don’t have an answer yet. However – well, let me put it this way. Did you know we have no idea how paracetamol works? Even after decades of study and use, its method of action is still unclear. But we know perfectly well what its effects are and how to use it safely. And we’ve extensively proven it’s impossible to overdose on Galar particles, no matter how much of their energy you use.
In fact, we should head inside right away! I’ll even give you a little lesson on how the Galar region gets its energy!

drat, she moves quietly. Didn’t even see her walk up.

Now, have a look at my tablet. I’ve got all the information you need on it.

First, energy is absorbed from Hammerlocke Stadium’s tower, then, it’s changed into electricity in the underground powerplant and delivered to people throughout the region. Our lives and society require various types of energy sources, such as electricity, natural gas, and water. My associate groups aim to improve everyone’s lives by harnessing the power stored in Wishing Stars! In fact, one of the Galar particle’s greatest assets is that it never decays or releases anything other than mild radiation! No pollution and consumption as with fossil fuels, no waste to handle as with traditional nuclear power, no environmentally dangerous manufacturing and space consumption as with solar power –

Oleana leans over and whispers into his ear.

Oh! It’s time for me to get to work. I should get a move on before Oleana decides to give me another earful.

Sir, PLEASE.

Gloria, I suggest you head over to the vault next. Just head towards Route 6 from the stadium, and you should find the vault without any issues!

Then, have a good day, Mr. Chairman?

Same to you, of course!

Now that he’s gone… Rotom, go into browser mode and search for “Bede”. I need to do some research.

Hammerlocke - Pokémon Sword and Shield OST

Normally, I’d go and continue the plot right away, but we have someone we desperately need to visit!

It looks like you’ve managed to level up your team quite a bit. Well, guess what? I’ve got the perfect Pokéball to celebrate the occasion!

They give us a Level Ball, which is more effective against low-level Pokémon (compared to whoever’s in our party). As always, they prove themselves one of the nicest and most helpful NPCs in the game just by being themselves :allears:

Hammerlocke is another one of the region’s big cities; I believe it’s based on Edinburgh, though I could be wrong (the travel guide I found a few pages back doesn’t talk about it). It has all the amenities; multiple Pokémon centers, a train station, shops…

And Team Yell yelling about Marnie. It also has some of the dumbest and most dangerous architecture I’ve seen in this game. That’s not a castle. I don’t know what that is. If you ask someone how people got those insane… Parapets? Overhangs? Whatever you call them, they’ll probably tell you it was Pokémon. I think it was witchcraft, there’s no other rational explanation. But we also, as we explore the further parts of the city, run across a little girl who I accidentally obscured with my body when I took a screenshot:

Little Girl: You see, there’s someone I fancy and I… I… I’ve written him a love letter! Do you think you might deliver it for me?

:sigh: Give it here, I’ll get it done.

Little Girl: Oh, thank you! Thank you! I’m so glad I found someone like you to help me! My name is Paula. Here you are. This is the letter I want you to deliver! Deliver it to Frank for me, won’t you? Frank in Ballonlea. That’s who you want.

Who names their child Frank these days? And why does this letter look so weathered?

On our way west, we run into a familiar face. A friendly face.

: But Hop… Did something happen with him? He was acting really odd when I ran into him. He took one look at me and immediately was like, “I’m so sorry, Lee!” He looked like he’d been crying, too. If he’d talk to anybody, he’d have talked to you.

… It’s really not my place to say. He just… How do I put this…

Lost to somebody. Badly.

:sigh: Yeah. It hit him really, really hard. I think the stress is getting to him.

Trying to live up to me, is he?

Aye. Could you maybe give him a little while, then call him up? I’m getting worried.

Of course. He’s lucky to have you, Gloria.

I’m lucky to have him. He’s a really good friend :shobon:

I’d say that you should go and say hello to Raihan while you’re here, Gloria. He’s the greatest rival I’ve got and the final hurdle you have to face in the Gym Challenge. He should still be around the vault, if you hurry. Plus, it’ll help you keep your mind off him.

I know I don’t have to say this, but… Look out for him?

: Of course, but I have a meeting with the Chairman I can’t put off any longer. Best of luck.

Same to you, Leon.

I’m not sure how to represent phone calls using the thumbnail format I used so far in the LP, so I’d like some input on whether or not this was clear and if not, what you’d appreciate me changing. Also, with your assistance, I’ve decided Dietrich and the pupitar shall be condemned to the box and the drifloon will be named Mr. Blobby because :britain:. But with our toxel out of action for the moment…

So, how about it thread? Should we trade Dietrich out for this Togepi? If so, what should we name it, and should we switch out one of our current party members for it?

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 28, 2020

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I never liked Mr Blobby as a kid and that feeling has only grown stronger over the decades. He is evil wrapped in polka dots.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I think the gimmick of Hammerlocke is that the weird architecture and that castle thing are supposed to look like a giant dragon's head (or possibly just a dragon) when viewed from above, with the jaws being at the entrance. You can kind of see this on the world map, and when you look around the entrance from the Wild Area, but the game could've made it clearer.

Falconier111 posted:

So, how about it thread? Should we trade Dietrich out for this Togepi? If so, what should we name it, and should we switch out one of our current party members for it?

Unfortunately we can't name this Togepi, it will always be named Snips. As such, while Togekiss is a solid pokemon (and this one was the MVP of my Sword nuzlocke) I'm going to vote against it for this LP.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm actually going to second suggestions to, instead of limiting yourself to a simple team of six, to set up a rotating team. You can access your Boxes to swap out Pokemon almost anywhere, which makes swapping out on the fly trivial.

By the time I made it to the Championships, I had a rotating team of more than fifteen Pokemon.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

For those who aren't familiar with Mr Blobby:

One of the biggest TV hits in the UK in the 90's was Noel's House Party, a variety show aimed primarily at children. A recurring character was Mr Blobby, a mascot character who was a whirlwind of slapstick chaos everywhere he went, cheerfully bowling over stage equipment, sets, co-stars and himself while yelling his heavily-distorted cry of "blobby blobby blobby!". A kid in the 90's would either absolutely love the madcap antics, or sleep with the lights on in case he ate you - or both! He was a massive breakout character for an already hugely popular show, getting his own hit single as well as multiple attempts at theme parks.

Honestly I think his name would be perfect for a Stufful/Bewear if you ever use one.

It's important to note that Mr Blobby was deliberately bad. One of the regular segments in Noel's House Party was the "Gotcha Oscars", where they'd put a celebrity in some sort of dumb situation and prank them - in this case, telling them that they were a guest star on a children's TV programme and that Mr Blobby was a popular kids character. The celeb would be asked to do something, then this lovely parody of a mascot character would supposedly do the same thing, but really just knock things over, trash the set, and generally poo poo over everything to try and make the celeb lose their temper on camera.

What fun we had. Those long evenings in front of the TV just flew by.

What the hell kind of bullshittery is this place? I mean, I know that half our history is basically us just being the evil empire, but the other half is us trying to pretend to ourselves that we weren't.

I think we should swap on the grounds that Dietrich deserves better than being stuck on our B-team, and can spread her wings and go punch dragons on her own.

idloveaspud
Apr 30, 2013
In the UK and Ireland we call acetaminophen “paracetemol”, but I don’t know if your narrative version of Rose is American (Unovan?)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

Unfortunately we can't name this Togepi, it will always be named Snips. As such, while Togekiss is a solid pokemon (and this one was the MVP of my Sword nuzlocke) I'm going to vote against it for this LP.

Darn it.

My username is specifically and directly based on a Togekiss I had trained for competitive play. I named it 'Quackles', and liked the name so much I also took it for myself.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

idloveaspud posted:

In the UK and Ireland we call acetaminophen “paracetemol”, but I don’t know if your narrative version of Rose is American (Unovan?)

Nice catch, fixed.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Explopyro posted:

These are my thoughts as well. So let's keep our Toxel.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Falconier111 posted:

It also has some of the dumbest and most dangerous architecture I’ve seen in this game. That’s not a castle. I don’t know what that is. If you ask someone how people got those insane… Parapets? Overhangs? Whatever you call them, they’ll probably tell you it was Pokémon. I think it was witchcraft, there’s no other rational explanation.

Looks like they built a bridge and then removed the support from one end. Then did it again on top. Presumably that's possible as long as the weight is balanced properly, they seem to be joined together on the inner end, and as they're decorative and not being used there's no strain on them. We've been weirdly good at building unnecessarily complicated bridges over the centuries (:britain: : see Isambard Kingdom Brunel) and I suspect the only reason nobody actually built a fort shaped like a dragon's head in the real world was that nobody thought of it.

It's also possible it didn't look like this when it was first built. Assuming Hammerlocke is based on Edinburgh, parts of that castle go back to the 12th century and almost all of it is at least the 16th. Things have eroded, things got smashed with trebuchets and cannons, things got bombed in the World Wars or redesigned by bored new owners.

Also good job making me feel sorry for Hop. Canon Hop is a pathetic irritating schmuck. I much prefer your version.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 15, 2020

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

I can't fault this logic.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So who’s idea was it to bring up Mr Blobby on the anniversary of his first appearance on tv?

Also I’m not convinced Hammerlocke is Edinburgh - given the Crown Tundra is supposed to be part of Scotland as well that’s an awful lot of Galar assumed to be Scotland.

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Also good job making me feel sorry for Hop. Canon Hop is a pathetic irritating schmuck. I much prefer your version.

I haven’t shown this (obviously) but I’ve been cutting out a lot of Hop’s dumber mannerisms and behavior. Tell me, britgoons, does anyone use the phrase “I’ll be cream-crackered” across the pond? He does. He also tries to Wizard of Oz his way into the champion by chanting to himself after he gets his Dynamax Band. I’ve known a lot of people like him in the past who cover up insecurity with unusual behavior, only for it to make them look even worse. Turns out, if you strip away the attention-seeking, you get somebody actually likeable.

Tenebrais posted:

Whatever else happens, I will not be catching a Bewear. It isn’t as visibly diseased as Galarian Meowth, but i won’t be letting one anywhere near me unless I have a shotgun even closer. It puts me in mind of the bad kind of furry. Not the good kind (that likes a certain art style and keeps stranded kids safe and entertained during hurricanes) or even the weird kind (that just wants to masturbate to their unnerving porn in peace and pays struggling artists king’s ransoms like the worlds perviest Renaissance art patrons). No, the bad kind of furry, the kind that includes both diapers and assault rifles in their fursuits and compares fursecution to communism. It looks like Hell’s theme park mascot escaped through the Uncanny Valley just to give me a HUG. It is :frogsiren: in Pokémon form. I sincerely thank you for the information you provided in the rest of your post - it’s part of what made me decide on that name, especially since after watching a few clips I think I fall on the “hilarious” side of the spectrum. For that, I forgive you for suggesting I’d willingly interact with a Bewear.

Zaroff posted:

Also I’m not convinced Hammerlocke is Edinburgh - given the Crown Tundra is supposed to be part of Scotland as well that’s an awful lot of Galar assumed to be Scotland.

I don’t think these games actually have much geographic connection to their real-life equivalent. It don’t think Stonehenge is on the same latitude as Manchester.

Falconier111 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 15, 2020

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Falconier111 posted:

I don’t think these games actually have much geographic connection to their real-life equivalent. It don’t think Stonehenge is on the same latitude as Manchester.
Indeed. Route 4 in B/W is roughly placed between what would be West 14th Street and West 34th Street in Manhattan. That section of the borough does not have a 24/7/365 sandstorm ripping through it, let alone ancient ruins around the area of what would be Chelsea Piers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

That section of the borough does not have a 24/7/365 sandstorm ripping through it

Yet. :getin: