Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

Used to be that only the Pokémon who participated in a fight would get experience, splitting it between participants; this made training anybody up and sure where you had to start out every fight with a weaker Pokémon and immediately switch it out, giving the other side a free shot on the follow-up.
Not sure what that was meant to be, but I don't think this is it.

Falconier111 posted:

Also I might work the Nidoqueen's English into the OP at some point.
Good timing there, Nidoqueen has only existed in Galar since about four days ago. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

I hearby suggest the name Woolooloo for our wooloo, because who am i to turn down a good meme

I was going to suggest "Shaun" but you've converted me.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rahonavis posted:

Very stupid name for a snapping turtle but how about Biteface for Chewtle?

Bitey McBiteface.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Rahonavis posted:

I originally proposed that but didn’t think it would fit? How about McBiteface as a compromise.

Yeah, we'd need at least 15 characters for the whole thing, sadly. The limit is 12 these days, I think.

Falconier111 posted:

Also, good lord are Wooloos big bags of hit points. Not great for much else, mind.
They can be surprisingly tanky, especially if they have Fluffy.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 30, 2020

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Chairman Roselia, of course.

inflatablefish posted:

And there's normal ingredients, and then there's us putting raisins and sultanas into curry.
I've never been much of a curry eater, but this doesn't sound bad. At least compared to some of the stuff in this game.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Hard to beat 815.

Falconier111 posted:

Welcome to Motostoke, our first big town (as the unskippable montage suggests). Depending on who you ask, it’s either based on Edinburgh, York, or Manchester. It’s also big. Like really big, bigger than any city I’d encountered in a previous Pokémon game –
I've also seen a few parts of Birmingham that look pretty similar, especially for those bits around the canals.

You might want to give X/Y a look sometime, I'm pretty sure the Paris-equivalent is still the biggest city Pokémon's ever had. Motostoke's at least top five though, yeah.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Incidentally, Murphy’s a solid name, but does anyone have other suggestions? I’ll be naming it soon and for various reasons the writing has gone faster recently.
Maybe not the pokemon you had in mind, but I suggest Top Gear for Klink.

(Metal Gear is also acceptable, but less British.)

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Gotta admit, Dietrich has been nothing but a disappointment so far. Maybe it's because she hasn't evolved yet, but I have literally never put her in a combat situation where she didn't end up fainting. Even if she had a type advantage and was several levels higher.
Toxel seems to be one of those pokemon that doesn't get usable until it evolves. It's a lot better afterwards, especially if it has the right ability.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

I have a name to suggest for our Drifloon. We need something inflatable, terrifying, and British. Let's call it Mr Blobby.
I can't fault this logic.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

inflatablefish posted:

And while I don't know where Stow-On-Side is supposed to be, the fact that we have a town whose name is basically Carry-on Luggage is a beautiful thing.
I'm suddenly expecting to see Kenneth Williams in the pokemon centre or something.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

I heard a Wishing Star fell to you! That means you were chosen by the Wishing Star, and that also means I got a Pokéball for you!

He gives us a Moon Ball, which is more likely to catch specifically Pokémon that evolved using a Moon Stone. That’s boring. I mean, thanks, but I don’t even know which Pokémon it’d help me catch :shrug:
In Galar? Just the Clefairy and Munna/Musharna families, basically. (Also the Jigglypuff and (both) Nidoran families, but they're only catchable in the DLC.) Handy if you happen to want one, but I think it's the most niche of all the ball types.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

fun fact: IIRC, in gen 2, the moonball didn't even work as intended - it was supposed to target Moonstone Evos, but because they made a mistake in the database, it had a better catch rate on pokemon that evolved via *burn heal*. Incredibly niche use and it didn't even work!

The main purpose of it nowadays is literally just for style points, because why would you need a special ball for something that specific when Quickballs exist

I actually read about a similar screwup with Fast Balls earlier when I was double-checking those evos. :eng101: It was supposed to work best on any pokemon with a 10%, 50% or 100% chance of fleeing battle, but it only triggered properly for the first three pokemon on the 10% list (Magnemite, Grimer and Tangela) and absolutely nothing from the other two lists.

Still more useful than that Asbestos Ball though.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Explopyro posted:

God, gently caress that thing. Bad enough he's trying to use defencive strategies with a mon that has an absolutely horrid defencive typing, most of the time all you really want from the NPCs is to help you knock out some shield segments and he just refuses to do that. Even the person with a goddamn Magikarp is more effective than him.
Yeah, since the shields need quantity of hits rather than quality, the Magikarp's actually pretty decent as long as the enemy isn't Water-immune somehow and it doesn't decide to pick its less-accurate moves for some reason.

And even the Solrock pulls its weight more than that one guy's Wobbuffet.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

:britain:post opportunity time! From an insider’s perspective, does the House of Lords actually do anything?
As I understand it, either House can introduce a bill, but both Houses have to agree on it before it can pass into law. Which can mean it spends a while bouncing back-and-forth, getting rephrased and revised until they settle on something both accept. (It's not totally symmetrical, Lords can sometimes be overruled and has a bunch of restrictions that Commons doesn't, but I think that's the gist of it.)

So I guess a big part of their job seems to be to stop the House of Commons doing things?

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 4, 2021

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Black Robe posted:

Sure.

Though part of me is concerned that future goons might read some of my posts and labour under the misapprehension that I know what I'm talking about. I assure everyone that I absolutely do not. I just live here.

Likewise, on both paragraphs.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder what they'd think of Miror B.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

I just caught Zamazenta, and she might like a nickname. She’s a thinking being, though, so she may choose to stick with her previous name if none of those on offer strike her fancy.
Pridwen?

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Quackles posted:

Or Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Xenoanything, really.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Before we begin, I would like to note that Adventures are the first part of this game I find myself actively going back to. I mean, I enjoy the game in general, but when I sit down do some more gameplay for the LP, I often end up just grinding out a few more Adventures for giggles. If you choose to buy one DLC, the Crown Tundra is probably the one you want to go for.
I don't think you actually can pick one, the DLC's all one deal.

Explopyro posted:

Making Peonia trans is an interesting choice; I wouldn't have thought of it, but now that you've done it I look at the colours in her portrait and can't not see the trans flag.
It's not even the first time I've seen this idea, I suppose it must be the colours.

Falconier111 posted:

Also genuinely surprised we haven’t had any britgoons complaining about the weather yet.
Complaining about the weather is kind of like the background radiation of conversation, you can safely assume it's there even if you don't hear it.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Falconier111 posted:

Not if you want to be in the OP it isn’t :colbert:
Fair.

Honestly, the only things that stand out to me about Galarian weather are the sandstorms (mostly just a side effect of every Pokemon region having to have a desert) and the fact that you don't see much of anything besides hail outside the three Wild Areas. Give me pouring rain in Motostoke or Hulbury and I'd feel right at home.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

Yeah the game is pretty accurate in that England has a giant empty wasteland in the middle of it
Ah come on, Birmingham's not that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I didn't notice any issues with it, though to be fair we're so used to seeing American stuff that I might not notice if you did slip out of it occasionally.

It actually gave me a similar "unexpected familiarity" feeling to playing Xenoblade 2 for the first time and double-taking at Nia's Welsh accent. Kind of startling and refreshing at the same time.