Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well this looks dope.

My favorite Pokémon gen was actually Gen 3, or the Gen 6 remakes, but this looks amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Believe in yourself and your Pokémon excavation point

I think there mighta been a transcription error somewhere.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I vote for UwUloo for our favourite sheep.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What better name would there be for a Chewtle than Gnargnargnar?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:perfect:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, if the Axew is female, let's name it Sombra.

Oh, and a great name for the Tympole would be Tiddles.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I already voted, but I'm gonna suggest again: Sombra for Axew, Tiddles for Tympole.

Oh, and if we ever catch a Shellder, let's name it Fluffy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yeah, I like the italics. It makes more sense that way.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Yep, that's Pokémon Quest all right. I remember playing it, but I got bored when I found out to get Pokémon with good IVs, I had to use the high level cauldrons, and couldn't just grind up my starting Pokémon.

I might go back to it someday.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Holy #$#%, you've really expanded the story of this game already and I love it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thirding Mudbray. And I vote on naming it Murphy after a certain famous donkey.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jadecore posted:

...I'll be real, I was pretty sure they were referring to Donkey from the Shrek movies. Who was voiced by Eddie Murphy.

I absolutely was.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

LiefKatano posted:

Once you defeat a Pokemon it's slightly more common too, even. I don't know the specifics but it's way, way freaking better than, say, ORAS, where there's a 10% chance to encounter Slugma that you have NO help with.

I'm not salty about recent experiences, no. :shepicide:

I thought ORAS let you have DexNav, where if you've seen a mon once you can set the radar to search for it?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Bede and his Bede-y little eyes.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

quote:

Wow, Oleana has some shoes.

I'm :shrug: about the Toxel, though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I can get behind this. Dietrich it is?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

I didn’t learn what EV training was until a few days ago, despite having played Pokémon for years. We’re all filthy casuals here.

You've heard of EV training, but how about... Eevee training?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

MightyPretenders posted:

The overall competence level of the pokemon universe is low - far below what they're capable of. I completely buy that the Fire Gym weeds out most of the competition while posing no threat to the Ultimate Savant that the player is.

Wasn't there one episode of the anime where the filler opponent trainer was actually really dangerous because she exploited type weaknesses sensibly?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

Unfortunately we can't name this Togepi, it will always be named Snips. As such, while Togekiss is a solid pokemon (and this one was the MVP of my Sword nuzlocke) I'm going to vote against it for this LP.

Darn it.

My username is specifically and directly based on a Togekiss I had trained for competitive play. I named it 'Quackles', and liked the name so much I also took it for myself.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm actually reminded that the only time in the games someone has their Pokémon directly attack another trainer is when Ghetsis orders Kyurem to use Glaciate on you.

I'm honestly wondering what prevents it otherwise besides social norms, because I could absolutely see Gloria making an exception right now.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

But yeah, I can appreciate both F111's writing, and... well, if this is going to be a way to work the 'Angry Scottish Pokémon Trainer' memes into the story, I'm going to be like :yaybutt:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

OK, sorry for the double post, but the 'Brother Kings' history dump a while back got to me, esp the bit where Gloria says one of them might have been historically trans, and I started thinking about Pokémon and transness.

Specifically, this is about Ditto.

Every Pokémon region to date has had Ditto, whose ability is famously to transform into any form it feels like, mimicking opposing Pokémon regardless of little things like type or gender. So how would this affect the development of queer consciousness on Pokéarth or whatever the heck the planet is called? Would Ditto be used as a metaphor? It'd definitely have an impact on how the concept was perceived, for sure.

It's also past my bedtime, but I can't stop thinking about it, so I figured I'd toss it at all of you and see what y'all thought.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Black Robe posted:

Allister's not being labelled as a prodigy or a savant or having quasi-magic powers, he's just a random small child who's somehow in one of the top positions in the region even though presumably he can only fight challengers after school between finishing his homework and his mum saying it's time for bed.

Hey, let's not forget Ash Ketchum finally won the League in Alola - and at the age of 10, no less!

It just took him about 22 years of practice to do it :v:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Let's name the pony Twi. Sporkle.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

inflatablefish posted:

Though I don't know if either have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind.

(On-Side could be a reference to anything from Teeside to Merseyside to the offside rule in football, which is incomprehensibly arcane.)

Wait, you're saying football doesn't have a magical ancient mural with hidden statues behind?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

There's something useful for Bede to do after all!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Blaziken386 posted:

As someone who's crazy enough to have a monotype team for Ranked Battles, can confirm that Crustle is far more fun than it has any right to be. I've swept teams with one after a little bit of setup, it's glorious. :allears:

Dwebble is my favorite Pokémon! And lemme guess. Shell Smash?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I always named my Dwebbles Dwebbie if they were female. But it left me at odds when they evolved...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

Out of curiosity, what’s the relative PokéExperience level of people in this thread? Most of the posters are Pokévets, but I’m curious if there are latecomers or people unfamiliar with the franchise reading this, too.

I'm an official Pokémon Professor (TCG/VG judge), and used to play the video game competitively until 2016's competitive format disgusted me enough for me to quit.
also I was never that good at playing competitively. I like judging better

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Psychic types, man. Not even once.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

Oh godbless it :dance:! Seriously, whose idea was it that the only ways you could get images off an internet-enabled device were by buying a tiny piece of delicate and expensive equipment or by uploading low-res versions to Twitter or Facebook?

I sent a message to Nintendo support suggesting they start selling the HAC-010 USB cable (which normally comes with the Pro Controller but can also be used to connect a Switch to a computer) separately.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Nice music, though.

Also, I vote for I'M A TREE, all caps. Normally, I give this name to any Sudowoodo I run into, but this is almost as funny.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Honestly, I don't think I could actually play SwSh after this. This has been too fun. :allears:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

:golfclap: You made it!

Fun fact: Before Fairy came along, Gen 5's Hydreigon (Dark/Dragon) had only Fighting, Bug, Ice, and Dragon weaknesses, and it hit like a truck.

Of course, Ghetsis had an underleveled one...

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

Just assume he got the same level of almost futuristically good care as Gloria, I guess.

You know, I've seen Tumblr posts about people having Pokémon assist them with one disability or another - Psychic-type Pokémon were particularly mentioned in this context. Who knows what'd be possible in the Pokéverse? (Assuming the nosebleed and fainting issue is resolved when Pokémon work together with humans.)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

For people with sensory issues, even something that would deaden sensation at appropriate times would make a massive difference. Many of the social issues related to autism emerge from being unable to properly perceive social interaction through a haze of too much or too little sensory information when young, leaving them behind the curve in developing social skills. A Pokémon able to reach in and normalize that intake would have a permanent positive effect on that kid’s life.

I should probably note that it isn't always sensory overflow/underflow with autism. Sometimes it's just... seeing the things that people do and being unable to either recognize them as social cues or being unable to interpret their meaning. I imagine there'd need to be a different sort of assistance for that - some sort of help with interpretation?

Falconier111 posted:

Also, in case it wasn’t clear; the whole fainting thing is (in this universe) actually really rare and on the extreme end of what a Pokémon could do to a person’s brain; for the most part, the stuff they can do is temporary and largely harmless.

Oh, good.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Eeeeee. :D

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Piiiiiiiiiiink! :getin:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

Is there a Nintendo version of :gamefreak:? They really do seem to have this attitude of "go use video games to socialize you friendless loser", and it spreads to a lot of their subsidiaries/regular developers. And it just feeds my theory from earlier :science:

Wait, what's the theory? I think I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Falconier111 posted:

The one in this post. Basically, Dens were designed to only be multiplayer-accessible and they changed it at the last minute, throwing a lot of calculations off elsewhere.

Oh, right. Yeah, it seems plausible. I remember someone asking on a Pokémon chat channel how he could StreetPass for various Gen 6 events that were transmitted in this manner. I had to explain that StreetPass required the sender and receiver 3DS to be in physical proximity.
He wasn't happy.