Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
How is this any different then opening a YouTube stream in vlc, looking at the Metadata and getting the file url and then saving that file?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

HalloKitty posted:

That's an overly complex way of using youtube-dl - I'm almost certain vlc just uses youtube-dl in the background

It's super simple. I was looking for ways to save a YouTube vid without having to install anything and it turns out vlc could do it. Open the stream as a new stream then check the file info in vlc, copy paste the link into a browser and save as. I think most people who use vlc have no idea this is a thing, I definitely didn't

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

repiv posted:

I just tried that with a 4K video and the URL it gave me is only 720p

I think only the older stream formats can be downloaded by a direct URL

Yeah looks like they changed something since the last time I grabbed it through vlc. I guess it's good I know in advance but bummer. Wonder how long the 720p fallback will still work

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Not only is it still mirrored on their own site and still available but it got me to learn about newpipe and now I'm using that. Great job riaa.