Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The circumstances may save a few coaches who would otherwise be fired, but there will be some programs who absolutely still pull the trigger. I don’t know who it’s gonna be, but I wouldn’t bet on all of the guys mentioned above making it to 2021.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Looks like they deleted it, but I still had the tab open.

This isn't the university though. It's like the radio station that has the sports contract.

Winner winner hospital dinner

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm fine with Nebraska slotting in an FCS team last minute, as long as it's NDSU :sickos:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

The game seems to have passed Pelini by defensively, but he did a pretty good job at Nebraska even if he had a relatively low ceiling—even if he is a big dumb rear end in a top hat.

Firing Solich to chase Bill loving Callahan of all people was the cardinal sin, however.

To be fair they went after like 8 guys before they got down to Callahan

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Who did they go after?

I guess I memory-holed that. I thought Pederson and Callahan had some prior relationship or he was obsessed w NFL PEDIGREE or some poo poo. It was awhile ago after all.

I don’t remember who it was, but I remember Callahan coming up after they’d been pretty publicly rejected by 2-3 other guys.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spacemonkey57 posted:

I assume Jon Gruden had to have been the first choice as was required by law at the time?

Here’s the best I was able to find for now. Some good tidbits throughout. Mike Zimmer and Houston Nutt were interviewed but it’s not clear whether they were offered. There was apparently already a fan sentiment in favor of Bo Pelini at the time. Anyway, the main takeaway is that it was a protracted search, so I can’t imagine Callahan was who they went into it wanting.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=1703433

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's really funny in hindsight, knowing that within a decade option concepts would actually become more relevant while the West Coast Offense would be basically obsolete.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I felt like Solich got a pretty raw deal, but getting to go spend the next 30 years under the radar at Ohio, comfortably winning 7-8 games per year really wasn't the worst outcome in the world.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Didn't he actually start part of Callahan's first year too? "Well, his passing was a liability even in the context of the Osbourne/Solich power option, but let's see how he works out in the West Coast Offense."

(could be mis-remembering)

edit: nope, he was a senior in Solich's last year

General Dog fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 30, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mike Zimmer probably would’ve been good but not good enough.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Rectal Placenta posted:

This week's Split Zone Duo had some interesting discussion about Solich and the MAC

https://art19.com/shows/split-zone-duo/episodes/2a41bea7-d077-4615-a1ac-6673efde5a5c

Oh is this like a re-constituted PAPN?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You know, it’s a shame there isn’t a conference more culturally and politically and geographically aligned with Nebraska, maybe one with a few historical rivalries, etc.