Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Started my day off with a real nice aged tieguanyin mini cake. Not sure what I'm going to have this afternoon though.

I've got basically every kind of tea imaginable right now -- green, black, a wide assortment of oolongs, both types of pu erh, aged white...

BYOB tea thread pick what tea type I'm drinking for me please!!

If you got an actually good jin xuan or duck poo poo oolong, I'd recommend having one of those two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Aged white sounds nice.

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

aldantefax posted:

If you got an actually good jin xuan or duck poo poo oolong, I'd recommend having one of those two

Ended up having a tieguanyin, it was very nice!

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Aged white sounds nice.

I'll drink the aged white when I get home this afternoon, maybe take some pictures of the whole process and post 'em. Especially because it's in a cake so I can show that entire thing.

Dip Viscous

if i can't decide between two things i mix them together in my big 20 oz insulated mug

not saying that i make good decisions or anything, that's just what happens

poverty goat

continuing my voyage on the seas of herbal tea, this turmeric lemon apple poo poo is basically apple pie: the tea

Planet X

GOOD MORNING
My brother used to get the Upton Tea catalog, and I loved looking at it. Do they still send that out to customers? If so, I might buy some teas from them just to read some random tea clipper history on the front page

poverty goat

Planet X posted:

My brother used to get the Upton Tea catalog, and I loved looking at it. Do they still send that out to customers? If so, I might buy some teas from them just to read some random tea clipper history on the front page

yes!

Vivian Darkbloom

Really enjoying a daily cup of genmaicha. I should set up a similar ritual with a nighttime tea. But I do want a tea kettle that can heat to just 175 degrees, instead of boiling it all the way.

Planet X posted:

nm what's upton with you?

Vivian Darkbloom

ALSO I kind of want to get one of these stupid things

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

These are a good brew option, just make sure you clean it thoroughly

Vivian Darkbloom

Heath posted:

These are a good brew option, just make sure you clean it thoroughly

I frequently brew loose leaf green tea in a mug and just drink some of the tea leaves. I know this is a weird thing to do but I've gotten to really like it. But I should probably learn to drink normal person tea too.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

theyre legit

Planet X

GOOD MORNING
A guy at work used to have one, he took it with him when he left. It worked great, but yeah gets nasty if you don't clean it.

Do yall do second steeps at all? I sometimes do a second steep that's a little weaker with the same ball from earlier that day, or I take two used tea balls (not super old of course) and make a cup later in the day

Vivian Darkbloom

Planet X posted:

A guy at work used to have one, he took it with him when he left. It worked great, but yeah gets nasty if you don't clean it.

Do yall do second steeps at all? I sometimes do a second steep that's a little weaker with the same ball from earlier that day, or I take two used tea balls (not super old of course) and make a cup later in the day

This works but it does tend to get a little bitter on the second pass. I mostly do it when I'm backpacking to stretch my tea bags.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Planet X posted:

ltieralyl (metaphorically/figuratively) all the time, never not second steep unless you have a tea that is too funky

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Tazo wild sweet orange is an extremely basic choice but it also tastes really good and makes me feel like I'm doing healthy things.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Leraika posted:

Tazo wild sweet orange is an extremely basic choice but it also tastes really good and makes me feel like I'm doing healthy things.

nice

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I frequently brew loose leaf green tea in a mug and just drink some of the tea leaves. I know this is a weird thing to do but I've gotten to really like it. But I should probably learn to drink normal person tea too.

They have a name for that, it's "grandpa style" brewing

If you get some high quality Japanese green gyokuro, you can straight up eat the leaves after they're spent with a little bit of sea salt or soy sauce and they are delicious. Wonderful on rice or sushi

SeaGoatSupreme
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Forgive me father but I have sinned

I

I

I chose coffee today instead of toasted Yerb

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I

I

nice

SeaGoatSupreme
It's because I'm almost out of Yerba mate and I wanna save it for a special day, then I'll make more probably but it takes hours to toast up from the green stuff

Life is hard

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I

I

Neither of those are tea, so it's really a lateral sin

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Apparently a local native holly (Ilex vomitoria lol) is very close cousins to Yerba mate and can also be used to make a very caffeinated tea? I keep meaning to try it sometime

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
gonna post about the gosh darn aged white tea tomorrow since i'm finally wfh

Escape From Noise

Time for a little frozen summit oolong

Amp

what's the deal with frozen summit oolong?

Escape From Noise

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what's the deal with frozen summit oolong?

It's a Taiwanese oolong named after the mountain it's grown on apparently. Sometimes called Dong Ding. I guess I remember it by that name because it's the one Tao of Tea used.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dong_Ding_tea

Amp

i'm so deep in mainland chinese teas that I frequently forget about Taiwanese teas. bought a couple of new gaiwans the other day after I broke one a few weeks back. needed, in particular, a replacement because it was my big gaiwan and sometimes you need 200ml to brew a 15g pu erh ball.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Taiwanese teas have been unilaterally excellent in my limited taste testing

Amp

oh yeah I want to be clear that I have nothing against Taiwanese teas. Hell, I'll drink whatever is in front of me because I love tea, but my current obsession/focus just happens to be mostly mainland China.

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Tonight's tea is ...Darjeeling Second Flush. wtf?
Tastes kinda murky. just a little foamy.

Rocket Baby Dolls

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I feel like a savage going into tea talk raw. I'm in my thirties and from England and always grew up the tea mentality that came within it, but I'm within the backwaters where it's gone from being a speciality to become a watered-down national identity clinging onto the last vestiges of the British Empire!

Tea didn't hold a lot of interest to me until I discovered Lapsang Souchong a few years ago and it became a staple of mine during recovery. I've started to miss the taste of it these past few months but due to the pandemic, it's fallen to the wayside with reduced lines and such which is understandable. Before the pandemic hit I discovered Rooibos at a local cafe which was quite pleasant.

I know that there are people, especially in England, who are particular about how their cup of tea should be served. But from my experience, it's either going to be from a machine or from a generic brand and no matter how much milk or sugar there is no way of saving it but they still want it to be to their exact standards even though it's going to be poo poo regardless.

Edit: I'm going to place an order for some tea tomorrow.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I feel like a savage going into tea talk raw. I'm in my thirties and from England and always grew up the tea mentality that came within it, but I'm within the backwaters where it's gone from being a speciality to become a watered-down national identity clinging onto the last vestiges of the British Empire!

Tea didn't hold a lot of interest to me until I discovered Lapsang Souchong a few years ago and it became a staple of mine during recovery. I've started to miss the taste of it these past few months but due to the pandemic, it's fallen to the wayside with reduced lines and such which is understandable. Before the pandemic hit I discovered Rooibos at a local cafe which was quite pleasant.

I know that there are people, especially in England, who are particular about how their cup of tea should be served. But from my experience, it's either going to be from a machine or from a generic brand and no matter how much milk or sugar there is no way of saving it but they still want it to be to their exact standards even though it's going to be poo poo regardless.

Edit: I'm going to place an order for some tea tomorrow.

Your great nation has produced Yorkshire gold which is the finest of bagged tea imo.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

this russian caravan tea is just so danged good

SeaGoatSupreme
It tastes the way smelling bacon in the morning feels, I too love it

poverty goat

rote grutze is taking over my life

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

:11tea: happening right now

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:11tea: happening right now

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Genmaicha in my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous

this is my favorite tea pot. sometimes i use it even if i'm using bagged tea because it's just fun to pour hot water into a tea pot.