Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Left my green and red rooibos in an old rice bag and they both spilled out so now I have a blend I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dip Viscous

hibiscus tea and beef jerky is an incorrect combination

Finger Prince

Dip Viscous posted:

hibiscus tea and beef jerky is an incorrect combination

Hmm, but if you made it really strong and sweetened and drank it cold, that's a good combination.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The owner of the teahouse is going through some tough times. I threw some support their way, but I'll see about spending more time there helping out with logistics support. While I'm happy to pour at the front of house, I'm not exactly sure I can do that forever, since I'll need to go back to my regular job duties sometime in the future... Probably. I'm not anticipating that I'll be on this project forever (I actually expected to be fully done and out this week until we updated the project timetable) but in the meantime I am considering what can be done to help that place out more than just throwing money and time there, though of course I love doing both for the place.

In other news, I was reminded that the company Kamjove exists. They're a company founded in the late 80s that started making induction teapots. They never really went outside of the Chinese domestic market but you can find some importers in the EU and Russia for them. They make ridiculous things that are actually quite useful for gongfu service, like having a full table with a drain pan that has a water cartridge and induction burners so you can dispense fresh water to a kettle and a pot used for sanitizing and preheating tea ceramic gear. They have even developed this new thing where the faucet swivels back and forth and dispenses through a hole in the lid of the containers!

I also looked up the old eBay vendor I used to window-shop for gongfu stuff but it's been years and I think they're well out of the game by this point. In the heyday they were going hard and selling hundreds of items, Kamjove stuff being some of it.

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Are iced tea drinkers allowed?

I prefer to let mine cold brew for about 24 hours, makes for some insanely strong tea.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Iced tea is the thing that basically brought tea back to the US and it is definitely a great tea thing!

Escape From Noise

Friend, all teas are allowed! As stated in the OP, we aren't limiting this to even camellia sinensis! I don't really like British tea, but I'm cool with these people posting.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zil posted:

Are iced tea drinkers allowed?

I prefer to let mine cold brew for about 24 hours, makes for some insanely strong tea.

Behold my cold brew gyokuro. I drink it about every morning (it's expensive, but cheaper than coffee) and I stretch the cost by taking the hot brew spent leaves and throwing them in the fridge overnight. This bottle is 2 days' worth of hot brews. It came out super sweet and lush, real good for when it's hot out

Hot tea need not just be hot!! It can be both!!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm ordering a teapot and some other stuff from uptons does anyone have anything from there they would highly recommend I try? Especially an ooooooolong or some herbal teas?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

dang oolong is expensive

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

dang oolong is expensive

It can be for sure. Tie guan yin (iron goddess) is a classic. Frozen peak/summit is also nice.

poverty goat

I'm making some compost tea today for my tomatoes

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
I just remembered that Stilton blue cheese can cause psychedelic properties, especially in dreams.

Tastes like absolute butt, though.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I would drink stilton tea I guess.

After drinking mostly heavy british style breakfast blends the past week or three this russian caravan tea is very light and tasty and refreshing!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

my teapot came today and is much smaller than i thought and very cute and tea tastes better out of a pot, apparently

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Higher water:leaf ratio makes for good tea

Edit: or is it lower? Use more leafs

Heath fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 13, 2021

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have begun to the tea house frequently enough that I am now a volunteer! No, seriously. I have signed up to pick up with helping to run front of house as a tea server (at my own table with my own gear) but in a more official aspect now, which also includes training from the cha yi instructor in her school's tea etiquette. I will also likely end up helping with events both from a planning and a running side as long as my schedule can allow it.

I did also end up starting up a D&D game at the tea house which is currently in planning for the next week and a half, but apparently one of the dudes who wanted to play ragequit after a very minor disagreement about players placing terrain onto a battle mat, which everybody else was into except him. As he was the ride and the partner for another potential player, I'm now out 2 players, but since this is a community drop-in game that I'm working on, it is chill.

Also, they tried to clean the 10-15 year old teastains from the stone on the tea table to reveal a little bit of its original sheen, which is a light greenish with some veins. I'm not really sure what the actual stone that's used in there is, unfortunately, but it looks nice!

For those that don't know, this is the time for a lot of tea houses to begin getting the first flush of long jing, or Dragon Well tea. It's one of the hardest to source teas in the world and is only available for a very short amount of time in a given year. The first flush just before the traditional Qingming festival is highly sought after, so you need to know a place that can source legit and preorder well in advance.

I happen to have some of the medium grade dragon well, which I have brewed once already, and only two grams of the super high end special grade that you can't actually buy at the moment (I might do some private inquiry on it, though). This is, as they say, the good poo poo.

Because this tea is very hard to source and very famous, counterfeit teas are definitely out there during the same time period. However, if you have tasted the tea before, it is unmistakable in flavor and aroma, similar to milk oolong. The owner of the tea house mentioned that when he lived in Shanghai, he was invited to pour the good stuff for a party, and everybody immediately shut up as soon as he poured without being prompted to do so - it's that kind of tea that has a certain kind of mystic energy.

Of course, it's tasty!

Escape From Noise

I've just been drinking yame cha. I should probably make an order

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

It is, indeed, Dragon Well/long Jing time, and for bf's birthday I have sourced some from our good friends out west who buy directly from the grower, on the mountain above Shi Feng. It's the Very Good poo poo.

He doesn't know yet. He also can't know what I paid for it, including overnight shipping. It's a high dollar cup of tea and worth every penny. I have obtained a pot for him, as well, with small cups appropriate to the tea, for the sake of opening up flavors and aromas.

The medicines I am currently pumped full of make the tea the only thing that smells good. There's a definite energy to this that I can't explain.

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I loving love dragon well and fully support this effort to get good tea

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

May not be 100% effective but still looks nice

https://i.imgur.com/2PShHkp.mp4

edit: only now did I realize it wasn't animating

Zil fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 19, 2021

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I finally got a hold of some Loyd cherry, cocoa & chili tea. I was expecting it to be spicy, but it was really just nicely aromatic.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, I have gone to the tea house as a member often enough that they asked me to volunteer, so I have done so, but really that just means I can now spend work hours to go to the tea house to pull shifts and make it look like I'm volunteering (which is what I have done this past month while sorting through special projects at the day job). Things are looking good for the place and there is a lot of excitement for opening back up for a wider community event next Saturday night.

A lot of the volunteers and potential would-be trainees that want to become full tea house staff are still very new to the world of tea but they seem very eager and excited to learn, which is great because as the tea arts instructor in residence heads back to China, maybe forever, the new crop of folks will have a time understanding and developing their own personal tea knowledge while also watching and learning from other people who have been doing it for more than a decade, like the owners, me, and a couple of other folks that hang there.

I also have reacquainted myself with my decade-old tea journal which I found and kept at the tea house with my tea table, but I have brought it home mostly by accident today because I crammed my pockets after we had volunteer meeting, tea, then me and one of the other expert volunteers hung out and just chatted for an extra 2 hours about some of the different identities the tea house has been through. In its prior incarnation, it was much more attractive and scrappy to a certain type of bohemian style crowd, but now has been redefined to a more serious scholarly type of thing where critical study of tea and education can take place instead of talking about how tea can charge your orgone crystals.

I also learned that tea energy influence (cha zhi?) is actually something seriously studied at the tea arts formal school in China and requires prior medical training before even attending that class.

Also, I guess I will have another part to do for tea service instruction, but then after that I get to do a fun (to me) exam to serve the tea arts instructor with proper etiquette before we do our community event next week.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am jealous that you have a "serious" tea place available to you

My local tea house is a place I love a lot but they don't do much in the way of actual ceremonial stuff. They're a step above most insofar as they specialize in whole leaf teas moreso than the junky blends most places offer that don't have a lot of actual tea in them. But they don't have a proper tea room or anything

They've been retail sales only with to-go service for the last year and basically everybody that worked there a year ago is gone now and their service has gone downhill a lot. The people there now don't seem to have a lot of knowledge about actual preparation, I imagine they haven't gotten as much practice as the employees used to. Once they open up for sit-down service again I may have to go school them :twisted:

Deep Glove Bruno

yung swamp thang
i'm not a tea nerd. more likely to be a pu-er than drink it. but it was cold and windy this morning and i bought a mint tea from a london cabmen's shelter (basically green sheds built around town with basic food and drink originally just for cabmen to sit in and warm up) and walked along feeling a real lineage from cabbies past, warming our hands on cups and standing backs to the cold wind. cheapest tea in the city too

Deep Glove Bruno

yung swamp thang
next time i wanna try another insanely cheap cafe for my walkin' tea - the cafe deep inside the bus depot, which is mainly for bus drivers, but is open to the public. apparently you can get like full cooked meals for like 4 pounds too

Goons Are Gifts

I bought a new and fancy tea pot with fancy candles to keep the tea warm and fresh so now I'm going to drink even more tea than ever, be ready tea crew for another member

I'm also doing coffee though we believe in polygamy here im sorry

Prof. Crocodile

aldantefax posted:

So, I have gone to the tea house as a member often enough that they asked me to volunteer, so I have done so, but really that just means I can now spend work hours to go to the tea house to pull shifts and make it look like I'm volunteering (which is what I have done this past month while sorting through special projects at the day job). Things are looking good for the place and there is a lot of excitement for opening back up for a wider community event next Saturday night.

A lot of the volunteers and potential would-be trainees that want to become full tea house staff are still very new to the world of tea but they seem very eager and excited to learn, which is great because as the tea arts instructor in residence heads back to China, maybe forever, the new crop of folks will have a time understanding and developing their own personal tea knowledge while also watching and learning from other people who have been doing it for more than a decade, like the owners, me, and a couple of other folks that hang there.

I also have reacquainted myself with my decade-old tea journal which I found and kept at the tea house with my tea table, but I have brought it home mostly by accident today because I crammed my pockets after we had volunteer meeting, tea, then me and one of the other expert volunteers hung out and just chatted for an extra 2 hours about some of the different identities the tea house has been through. In its prior incarnation, it was much more attractive and scrappy to a certain type of bohemian style crowd, but now has been redefined to a more serious scholarly type of thing where critical study of tea and education can take place instead of talking about how tea can charge your orgone crystals.

I also learned that tea energy influence (cha zhi?) is actually something seriously studied at the tea arts formal school in China and requires prior medical training before even attending that class.

Also, I guess I will have another part to do for tea service instruction, but then after that I get to do a fun (to me) exam to serve the tea arts instructor with proper etiquette before we do our community event next week.

:nice:

Prof. Crocodile

hello tea thread, i don't post here too often, but today we are enjoying Ecuadorian horchata tea and it is a lovely pink color and a delicate citrusy-floral taste, and i thought you would appreciate it:

Vivian Darkbloom

been going through a ton of red tea. i ordered 2 lbs of loose leaf rooibos and I make a gallon every day

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Nice

Dip Viscous

Even if you live alone and never interact with other people, the whole process of making tea in a tea pot feels really good. Everyone should do it sometimes.

Tea parties though? I dunno, Horatio is starting to care way too much about his opinions on oil based wood stain.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have been through both rounds of instruction from the cha yi teacher in residence here before she departs for China possibly forever to continue her tea journey. It was good to know that for the most part, tea etiquette as well as the technical part of brewing tea in a gaiwan were about 95% of what textbooks actually say from formal instruction from the school she learned at. Also, I got my food handler's license, so after a quick exam where I pour for the cha yi instructor, I can...continue to pour at the front of house at my own table again, but in a more official volunteer capacity.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Dip Viscous posted:

Even if you live alone and never interact with other people, the whole process of making tea in a tea pot feels really good. Everyone should do it sometimes.

Tea parties though? I dunno, Horatio is starting to care way too much about his opinions on oil based wood stain.

makin tea in my cute fat lil teapot is so much better and the way it pours the tea out in a big fat stream is very pleasant

Dip Viscous

sorry but i just thought of this again

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I am drinking my tea....:siren:WITHOUT MILK:siren:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Hey page 27