Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
i think it's time for tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

aldantefax posted:

i think it's time for tea

What kind? I'm about to make a Russian Caravan pot.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
the ol' standby of green jasmine from the prince of peace

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I was given a sampler of like 30 different teas for Christmas. Today I tried something called Honey Orchid Aroma. It was a pleasant black tea. Yesterday I tried Edgar Allan Poe blend, which is black tea with beetroot, giving it a blood-red color and earthy flavor. I'm not fond of beets, so I did not enjoy it, but it was at least a unique form of unpleasant.

JNCO BILOBA

I got a sample back of a punch of puers today and I messed up because I got some good stuff and now I can't go back. My wallet will forgive me.

Escape From Noise

amechanicalapple posted:

I got a sample back of a punch of puers today and I messed up because I got some good stuff and now I can't go back. My wallet will forgive me.

I need to break into my puer. Probably in the next few days as it's going to be really cold.

Havin' some Yunnan gold again. Kind of my go to for breakfast.

Escape From Noise

It's another Yunnan gold leaf kind of morning

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Having a touch of dan cong but also having a real bad tea-related last two days. Broke a gaiwan that was a gift yesterday morning dropping it on the floor and this morning broke my tea pet when it fell no more than 2 inches off of a platform onto my countertop. Tea's good though!

Escape From Noise

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

It's another Yunnan gold leaf kind of morning

This morning two.

But I'm also having cookies, strawberries, and mandarin oranges. Real healthy

Escape From Noise

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Having a touch of dan cong but also having a real bad tea-related last two days. Broke a gaiwan that was a gift yesterday morning dropping it on the floor and this morning broke my tea pet when it fell no more than 2 inches off of a platform onto my countertop. Tea's good though!

Also sorry to hear about your tea tragedies

Amp

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

It's okay, sometimes these things happens and it's sad but we should be able to accept that and move on -- I'm sure my friend understands that these things happen and it's just sometimes the natural course of events. Someday I'll replace it with something else beautiful and keep the memory of the great gift because that's more important than the physical thing, anyway.

RickRogers

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Amp

:haibrow:

RickRogers

I had never heard about tea pets before, they look so rad.

I think if I broke a beloved cup I would have to try and emulate kintsugi somehow.

E. Also happy new year! Time for milky black tea to sooth my head and irritate my stomach lining

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RickRogers posted:

I had never heard about tea pets before, they look so rad.

I think if I broke a beloved cup I would have to try and emulate kintsugi somehow.

E. Also happy new year! Time for milky black tea to sooth my head and irritate my stomach lining

My friend got me a kintsugi kit for Christmas so I've been doing a lot of research on it

Things to note are that a lot of modern repair methods are not food safe! Or the repair epoxies are not temperature resistant so drinking something hot (like tea) can weaken the bonding and break it again

So be sure to confirm your method and materials before trying to fix something unless you just plan to make it a decorative piece

poverty goat

I just tried to make coffee and the next thing I knew I'd made tea on autopilot

E: it's a 2020 assam

Buttchocks

Today's tea is called True Creme Golden Buds Oolong. Trip report:

- strange smell, almost like rice crispies
- not sure how much to use, just eyeballing it
- gave it a short steep, only 3 min
- if tea were a custard, this is what it would taste like
- woke up in my car with the motor running in a Hobby Lobby parking lot

Not something I would drink every day, but would recommend.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Buttchocks posted:

Today's tea is called True Creme Golden Buds Oolong. Trip report:

- strange smell, almost like rice crispies
- not sure how much to use, just eyeballing it
- gave it a short steep, only 3 min
- if tea were a custard, this is what it would taste like
- woke up in my car with the motor running in a Hobby Lobby parking lot

Not something I would drink every day, but would recommend.

nice

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Read that as True Crime

Escape From Noise

Man. I need to get some new teas. I just drank some Eastern Beauty and put some in a tiny thermos for my hike today

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I'm drinking this east frisian tea from uptons and it is so tasty. almost chocolatey or something. very rich big smooth mouthfeel.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

RickRogers

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm drinking this east frisian tea from uptons and it is so tasty. almost chocolatey or something. very rich big smooth mouthfeel.

Some type of Frisian tea has definitely become one of my go to black teas. Sometimes I get slight nausea when I drink one on an empty stomach.

Just remembered I even have a couple of the cups and saucers that are traditionally used.

Buttchocks

Brewing up some late night Song Imperial Court oolong.
It's ok with a touch of honey. It neither inspires singing, or tastes like jury duty.

Escape From Noise

I am having a lil gyokuro for my first meal of the day at noon

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
another round of the jasmine

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I am having a lil gyokuro for my first meal of the day at noon

I did exactly this today :cheersdoge:

Escape From Noise

Heath posted:

I did exactly this today :cheersdoge:

Nice. Had some miso soup, rice, and pickles

Escape From Noise

Time for some goddanged pu erh

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Every time I think about making pu erh I think of my aunt saying "what in the HAYULL is POO AIR?!" really loud in a coffee shop in the early 2000s and I do not know why it stuck but it did.

Escape From Noise

Kief Richards posted:

Every time I think about making pu erh I think of my aunt saying "what in the HAYULL is POO AIR?!" really loud in a coffee shop in the early 2000s and I do not know why it stuck but it did.

Hahaha! I think I would think back to that as well

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kief Richards posted:

It's a good story

I didn't think puerhs had been available in the states that long ago. Feel like they're a recent thing

Escape From Noise

Heath posted:

It's a good story

I didn't think puerhs had been available in the states that long ago. Feel like they're a recent thing

My guess is that you could find them in Chinese markets/restaurants in some areas and like health food stores maybe, as well as certain hip cafes or whatever. I remember having a puerh hot toddy at Camilla Lounge in Portland when I went to college there. Also got pretty into tea and got a bunch of stuff at Tao of Tea

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Heath posted:

It's a good story

tea that isn't lipton has only really started taking off in asian-american areas recently, i first got introduced to the wider world of teas in like 2008-9 era but there were folks in san francisco promoting teahouse style service and better quality teas since the 90s, prob same on the east coast US too

Escape From Noise

aldantefax posted:

tea that isn't lipton has only really started taking off in asian-american areas recently, i first got introduced to the wider world of teas in like 2008-9 era but there were folks in san francisco promoting teahouse style service and better quality teas since the 90s, prob same on the east coast US too

Also China towns usually have a tea shop that just sells loose leaf by the gram. There was one in Seattle I went to all the time. It was neat

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

aldantefax posted:

Yup, we used to visit a cafe/tea house regularly in SF when I visited as a kid and my dad made the mistake of inviting my aunt and uncle when my parents visited me during the first bubble.

I spent a lot of hours apologizing to people that week.

aldantefax

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
my old stomping grounds was imperial tea court in their berkeley location, we'd go almost every week and eventually tasted through the entire menu w/ gaiwans

later i met roy fong and then volunteered with him for the sf tea festival for the first two years but then i ended up moving out here to austin and

maaaan

the tea game just aint great out here so far but it's starting to come along

RickRogers

Inspired by KS to purchase and enjoy an Ostfriesische tea from Gepa (fair trade tea and coffee importers in Europe that have some really great stuff), "strong mix", no additives

3 heaped teaspoons to half a litre of just off boiling water. Steeped for 3-4 minutes, medium hard water. Splash of milk. No sugar, though apparently that is very traditional.

Wow, it's got a lot of malt and spice on the nose. Reminds me of smelling a good beer. Christmas gingerbread; cinnamon and cloves.
Really had to double check the packet to make sure it was just black assam tea.

Taste is more of that, very bold and deep. Chocolate.
Rounded off with very little to no bitterness and good mouth feel (thank you milk and short steep time), and with a strange little menthol note at the end, which leaves it feeling more refreshing than other black teas this strong.

Perfect black tea for coffee drinkers, think I will replace my previous breakfast tea with this.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

RickRogers posted:

Inspired by KS to purchase and enjoy an Ostfriesische tea from Gepa (fair trade tea and coffee importers in Europe that have some really great stuff), "strong mix", no additives

3 heaped teaspoons to half a litre of just off boiling water. Steeped for 3-4 minutes, medium hard water. Splash of milk. No sugar, though apparently that is very traditional.

Wow, it's got a lot of malt and spice on the nose. Reminds me of smelling a good beer. Christmas gingerbread; cinnamon and cloves.
Really had to double check the packet to make sure it was just black assam tea.

Taste is more of that, very bold and deep. Chocolate.
Rounded off with very little to no bitterness and good mouth feel (thank you milk and short steep time), and with a strange little menthol note at the end, which leaves it feeling more refreshing than other black teas this strong.

Perfect black tea for coffee drinkers, think I will replace my previous breakfast tea with this.

having more of it myself!!!! I need to order some more from uptons I suppose

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

RickRogers

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

having more of it myself!!!! I need to order some more from uptons I suppose

What's Upton's?

:dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks

Today's tea is Republic of Tea's Mandalorian brand Mysterious Black Tea: this is not the way.
With condensed milk over ice: this is the way.