Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Green tea from my blue bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The glaze looks crazy in direct sunlight. I have a gaiwan and some cups with it also

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had some gyokuro at 11 pm in my very small pot (only 100 mL) so hopefully it doesn't keep me up all night

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
If you're into teaware, the game Nioh 2 has a cool little thing tucked away in one of its later-game mechanics where you collect tea utensils to boost various passive stats like luck and such, but each piece gets evaluated by a character who then tells you some of the actual real-life history about the teaware, and you can find things like matcha bowls and caddies and urns and such and the sheer variety of them is pretty stunning

It's a very cool thing to be tucked away in an obscure submenu of a video game about slicing demons in half

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mummy Napkin posted:

id never turn down moomins anything. that looks like a righteous batch there, friend.

question from a former bean water consumer, how do i make tea stimulate my bowels like bean water does? i've made the switch, but i need some clearing out.

Drink a lot of it

Ripe fermented Pu'erh teas tend to make me go

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mummy Napkin posted:

i've been looking at some of that stuff, but don't know if i have the hardware to make it well and get the most out of it.

let's see your tea loadouts, my dudes. mugs, kettles, etc.

Do you have a pot and some hot water? Then you can get plenty out of a Pu'erh

Gongfu is the preferred method for brewing but it's not absolutely required to enjoy the tea. That said, it can be done relatively cheaply. You can get a glass gaiwan for 10 bucks and that's the only part of the setup I would say is "necessary." Maybe also a filter that can sit in your cup so you don't dump leaves into the cup you're drinking out of.

Edit: in fact I am going to drink some now, here is some of my load out

The tea in the little bamboo caddy is a V93 Tuocha and it tastes like chocolate

Heath fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 23, 2020

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I got my new tenmoku chawan today and I will be putting it to use tomorrow

Yes it's my third one why do you ask

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's dark out so I had to use flash to show off the texture of the glaze

Yes I really enjoy this blue

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will never use a handle

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
It's decently heavy, and these bowls are supposed to be used with two hands, in the very famous presidential style

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I want some Duck poo poo but the local tea shop can't get it. I've only had it once and I'd like to try it again

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Sippin' some Japanese green tea with my breakfast

I had matcha today. It was real good

I'm learning that with Japanese greens of all sorts that cooler is better. I've been wetting my powder with a touch of 55°C water and mixing it into a paste, then getting it up to about 68°C and adding the rest of the water to whisk. It preserves the sweetness

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I've had probably literally hundreds of matchas in the last 5 or 6 years and nothing is worse than a burned matcha

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

It's tea time!

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jealousy levels: high

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
When your gaiwan fills up so the lid don't quite sit. That's the poo poo

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had some "Strong Fire" Taiwanese Tieguanyin today. It's like regular Tieguanyin but with a slightly nuttier taste

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also, most tea in the US seems to be served with sugar (or as presweetened drinks) but I don't really understand why, if you have access to decent tea leaves.

Most Americans have a completely warped sense of taste and cannot conceive of a drink like tea that is a primarily nasal experience. Friends I've tried to get into tea can't help but load it up with sugar because they otherwise "can't taste anything"

To me that's part of the appeal, since I spent my teenage years gorging myself on soda until my teeth rotted, as an adult it's nice to drink something that demands a little more mindfulness in its preparation and enjoyment. Having it be my little morning ritual makes it feel more special and like something I can look forward to rather than something I just do. But the society we're in abhors such things

A lot of Americans also get their exposure to tea through a handful of sources:
1) if you grew up in the South, chances are the "tea" you drink is sweet tea, which like many southern things is a slow suicide-by-food where there's something like a 1:1 ratio of tea to sugar
2) perhaps you get some kind of tea-based latte from a restaurant like Starbucks that is loaded up with sugar - they serve matcha drinks that are something like 15 grams of sugar to 1 gram of actual tea powder, which is the case for most "cooking" grade matcha that is intended for confections rather than to be drunk
3) grocery store bagged teas which are made from the refuse of the tea sorting process in factories after picking. Most bagged and flavored teas use what's called "tea dust" which are the leaves that are too broken and small to be sold as loose leaf after the higher quality leaves are separated. These get mixed with other non-tea flavoring agents and are sold in the US as artisanal blends or some nonsense. The result is that you get bags of tea with leaves that are significantly smaller and often significantly older than the equivalent loose leaf. When you steep them, because they're already broken up, they will release all of their tannins into the water very quickly, and make the tea very bitter and overwhelming. Companies try to cover this up by adding acidic flavors like citrus, and on top of that most Americans have no concept of brewing parameters so you get people leaving the bag in the tea to steep for 5+ minutes, in boiling water regardless of the type of tea, which makes it taste awful, and so they add a couple spoonfuls of sugar or honey to get it back to being palatable

This is why I'm big on gongfu brewing, because it demonstrates in dramatic fashion what advantages there are to being mindful about how you brew it. People are always impressed by how powerful, flavorful and diverse a brew I can get out of a tea after five to ten seconds when they've been brewing bags for five to ten minutes their whole lives

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Drinking jasmine tea and eating fruit this cold rainy morning and wondering what the hell I'm doing with my life.

Doing it right by the sounds of it

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I made a short video in which I brew a Taiwanese oolong using the gongfu method if you would care to see it in action

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

RickRogers posted:

I had never heard about tea pets before, they look so rad.

I think if I broke a beloved cup I would have to try and emulate kintsugi somehow.

E. Also happy new year! Time for milky black tea to sooth my head and irritate my stomach lining

My friend got me a kintsugi kit for Christmas so I've been doing a lot of research on it

Things to note are that a lot of modern repair methods are not food safe! Or the repair epoxies are not temperature resistant so drinking something hot (like tea) can weaken the bonding and break it again

So be sure to confirm your method and materials before trying to fix something unless you just plan to make it a decorative piece

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Read that as True Crime

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I am having a lil gyokuro for my first meal of the day at noon

I did exactly this today :cheersdoge:

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kief Richards posted:

Every time I think about making pu erh I think of my aunt saying "what in the HAYULL is POO AIR?!" really loud in a coffee shop in the early 2000s and I do not know why it stuck but it did.

It's a good story

I didn't think puerhs had been available in the states that long ago. Feel like they're a recent thing

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aldantefax posted:

Uhhh what if it has multiple pictures to capture the whole stash or multiple videos

The internet is big, post them

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aldantefax posted:

that's similar to genmaicha, which is green tea w/ toasted brown rice. check that bidness out.

The shop I get my tea from has matcha infused genmaicha, which is basically just ceremonial grade powder mixed in with the genmaicha. It strengthens the green tea flavor and gives it a thicker liquor and adds caffeine

Only downside is that the matcha all washes off on the first steeping but after that you get just regular ol' genmaicha which is also good. If you like the toasty flavors it's great, and it tends to come relatively cheap, since it was invented as a way to stretch out tea leaves by cutting them with the rice to bulk it up and make a tea that could be more widely available to a lower price point

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Matcha! It's good!

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah tea isn't anywhere near coffee in terms of caffeine content

Tea does have L-theanine in it that gives something of a calming effect to the brain, which tends to make the caffeine rise a little less abrupt than you'd get from coffee or soda

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

ALSO I kind of want to get one of these stupid things

These are a good brew option, just make sure you clean it thoroughly

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I frequently brew loose leaf green tea in a mug and just drink some of the tea leaves. I know this is a weird thing to do but I've gotten to really like it. But I should probably learn to drink normal person tea too.

They have a name for that, it's "grandpa style" brewing

If you get some high quality Japanese green gyokuro, you can straight up eat the leaves after they're spent with a little bit of sea salt or soy sauce and they are delicious. Wonderful on rice or sushi

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Forgive me father but I have sinned

I

I

I chose coffee today instead of toasted Yerb

Neither of those are tea, so it's really a lateral sin

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Taiwanese teas have been unilaterally excellent in my limited taste testing

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Genmaicha in my mouth

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I have ordered one of those super glad shiboridashi for my green tea. Words cannot express my hype in this moment

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

aldantefax posted:

pics or it probably happened but i wont get to see what ur thing you got is

It is in the mail

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I had some Dragonwell this morning and it was good

I don't know how to describe the flavor of greens except to say "grassy" but sencha grassy is much different from Dragonwell grassy

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

I have been told my tea bowl looks like a grape cut in half. I tend to agree re: this assessment

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

hmmm 7pm green tea sesh seems irresponsible for the whole going-to-bed-on-time thing but it's chilly and i want something warm

It's Friday. Go nuts

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Milk oolong is good and rules, you've made the right choice. Report your trip to flavortown to us at your leisure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I ordered a shiboridashi like two weeks ago and it hasn't showed up yet. I fear it is in the ether