Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
Greetings Tea Goons, I have been into tea since I moved to Taiwan 13 years ago. I am active in the GWS tea thread and I just found about this one from aldantefax. I like chatting teas, gear, and ceremony and posting photos. I can't answer questions about ordering things online because I never do that. But a goon asked nicely for some coaching a few months ago, so I enlisted a few more people who wanted in and mailed everyone a bunch of tea samples. We do video chats every saturday to drink them together. I doubt I can keep up with this thread but it's great to be here and if you want in on future tea goon study groups lmk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder

aldantefax posted:

If you want to dive into critical tasting and are looking for a smaller more modest pot, get a load of this pot pie:
https://westchinatea.com/mutton-fat-jade-porcelain-taijian-teapot/
I haven't used that teapot specifically but I have used the porcelain and I can vouch for it at the teahouse. It has a semi-translucent property that catches the light in
Dehua, where that's from, has good poo poo. Porcelain and other clay pots. Jingdezhen is overpriced at this point considering both towns' crafts are about equal.

Escape From Noise posted:

Taiwan, and Taiwanese tea is awesome.
TAIWAN NUMBA ONEEEEEEEEE

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I wish i knew more about asian tea consumption habits and practices but my tea approach is solidly influenced by the british isles and I cannot fathom drinking tea without milk but chamomile and other herbal teas might be the gateway drug because I am drinking them without milk. You just gotta be patient and let them cool which is not a strong suit of mine
If you ever want to be a real tea snob follow the Chadao, you best learn to sit. Cooled drinks are the best for analyzing. Like in a coffee cupping, or wine tasting.

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
Great advice above, or course. I will just add that dairy is a relatively new thing here in Taiwan, but milk tea (bubble tea) is really, really popular. It's made with cow's milk and loads of sugar. That stuff is made with poo poo tea leaves and has no connection to tradition.

I'm not anti-milk because I think everyone should do whatever they want with their tea leaves. But I just want to be clear that adding anything to your tea is not the norm for "real" Chinese tea culture. Milk tea here is more akin to coca cola.

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
I don't really do refined sugar these days but my go-to at those tea shops is green tea, milk and coconut chunks.

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
Those Nannuo teas look great. And congrats on the new pot! It sounds like you are learning a lot about Cha Yi (tea art). Do you (or the teamaster) have a bonsai or vase for the table? One of the little things I've picked up from masters is, when using a pot, to pour out (discard) just a tiny bit of each steep before pouring it into the fairness cup. That's because there is a bit of water in the spout that doesn't mix with the rest of the tea.

Also, I hate to say it but the red string is lame. No one I know uses those things.

Death Vomit Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 19, 2021

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
Oh the spout water is definitely not a concern. I think it makes such an infinitesimally small difference it's like a pea under a princess's mattress. I just have heard about it from both of the tea masters I know so I like to share it with my friends as a "Hey, you want to look like you really know your poo poo? Try this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Vomit Wizard
Bottom Feeder
I am taking cha yi classes myself and it's really fun. Besides the master and me it's all bored rich housewives haha. I didn't think there was that much to teach, but it's really impressive how she comes up with a totally new area or technique to study each month. I'll report back after the next one. Also I am hopefully going to have enough free time to start translating the master's books to English soon.