Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus Cancer
Sep 14, 2018

If we were all trees, there'd be no more wars. 'Cause we'd be trees.
Mondays are when the ghost of Lyman haunts Garfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Revins posted:

why did garfied hate mondays? he is a cat. every day is exactly the same for him. Maybe he likes Jon more than he lets on and gets separation anxiety when Jon goes to work

I think that's the main theme of the comic, Garfield being unable to express his affection for Jon in a healthy manner

Not Odie though, he hates that dog and would kill him if he could

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Nermal is the physical embodiment of Monday.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Garfield hates Mondays because that's when he hurts Odi. Despite how callous he acts, he secretly hates himself for doing that. But he just can't stop.

Im no Garfield expert but. Garfield canon is a cycle of abuser and abused. See, Jon abuses Garfield, Garfield abuses Jon. Jon is abused by his peers and his character disparaged.

Odi adopts the "stupidity is bliss" out look. Odi breaks free from the Garfield canon of constant abuse and abusers. He is the strongest character.

Phlegmish posted:

I think that's the main theme of the comic, Garfield being unable to express his affection for Jon in a healthy manner

Do you think Garfield is sadistic or just a pomous asshat?

zaepg fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Oct 25, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I wouldn't describre him as sadistic, he's more what anime scholars would call 'tsundere'. He doesn't enjoy giving Jon poo poo, he just has no other choice due to his severe emotional issues.

Your hermeneutical view on Odie is interesting, though.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I also think about Nermal. And what her character embodies. Symbolizes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nermal's role is to remind Garfield (and the readers) of what could have been, in a Proustian sense he symbolizes youth, the dreams and opportunities that are now lost forever. He serves to contextualize and emphasize Garfield's apathy and melancholy.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

The Grimace posted:

Jon works? what the hell

what does he do

Revins posted:

idk, that's another good question. Jim you had decades to answer these questions

This question is answered in the first panel of the first garfield strip.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
canon in comics can change especially from super early strips and its never mentioned again. Jon was a failed cartoonist. He killed himself and is now living in a purgatory of suburban boredom and existential dread. He killed himself on a monday, thus why garfield hates mondays.

happy halloween!!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
That's what makes it funny. It's absurd!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Jon and Liz eventually got together and part of the reason is Jon has a veterinarian fetish and one night they got loving blasted and high as gently caress and Liz neutered Jon. Garfield walked in just as Liz triumphantly wrenched Jon’s swollen nuts loose from their moorings and swallowed them whole.

That night was a Monday night.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

lol

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
now where could my pipe be?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I seem to remember in the early Garfield books, the food he was crazy about was chicken, not lasagna. Like Jon would turn around for a second and Garfield would gobble up a whole chicken He had just cooked. Jim Davis started getting letters from pet owners informing him that it is in fact dangerous to feed chicken to a pet because they can choke on the bones. Davis addressed this concern by changing Gardfeld’s favorite food to lasagna. Unverified Garfield trivia.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 26, 2020

Broken Bio Qlock
Mar 8, 2009
Nap Ghost
Both Garfield and John are surrogates for the author which uses the comic strip to vent about his hatred for mondays.

And apparently he is also lazy fat gently caress whose inability to get a date drives him insane.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

logan from corporate posted:

garfield had a job, he was CFO at a major pharmaceutical company and monday is the weekly anniversary of the day he quit when the the board refused his proposal for the new budget. he lives off dividends from stock options.

ive been waiting for this thread because, as luck would have it, i was at that board meeting and managed to grab a pic of his proposal:

and NO jon doesn't have a job ffs, he's on parole for the murder of lyman.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

logan from corporate posted:

garfield had a job, he was CFO at a major pharmaceutical company and monday is the weekly anniversary of the day he quit when the the board refused his proposal for the new budget. he lives off dividends from stock options.

ive been waiting for this thread because, as luck would have it, i was at that board meeting and managed to grab a pic of his proposal:

and NO jon doesn't have a job ffs, he's on parole for the murder of lyman.
The biggest issue I see is that his total lasagna research budget only adds up to $1. You ain't gonna learn poo poo about lasagna for a dollar, Garfield.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The gently caress is going on with that guy’s face?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

turn on ur monitor

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Lyman is part whale, that's his baleen.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ralph Hurley posted:

I seem to remember in the early Garfield books, the food he was crazy about was chicken, not lasagna. Like Jon would turn around for a second and Garfield would gobble up a whole chicken He had just cooked. Jim Davis started getting letters from pet owners informing him that it is in fact dangerous to feed chicken to a pet because they can choke on the bones. Davis addressed this concern by changing Gardfeld’s favorite food to lasagna. Unverified Garfield trivia.

tomatoes, cheeses and garlic are pretty bad for cats so this is a sideways move at best

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Grimace posted:

Jon works? what the hell
what does he do

Moon Atari posted:

This question is answered in the first panel of the first garfield strip.

Checks out.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Lyman's mother was an eldritch horror.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lyman hosed me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Revins posted:

turn on ur monitor

:cheers:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lyman suckin and fuckin on me, Garfield turns to you, the reader, and a thought bubble appears "I'm so randy right now." he says.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I killed Lyman and buried his body with the rest of my serial killed victims who I murdered serially I am a real life serial killer for real

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

He keeps posting that, what if he actually is a real life serial killer for real

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Phlegmish posted:

He keeps posting that, what if he actually is a real life serial killer for real

Where do you live haha just kidding

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Mondays hate Garfield.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Sid Vicious posted:

I killed Lyman and buried his body with the rest of my serial killed victims who I murdered serially I am a real life serial killer for real

Lyman is a cartoon.

I believe you about your real life victims but you can't kill an idea, Sid.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

Lyman is a cartoon.

I believe you about your real life victims but you can't kill an idea, Sid.

Lyman hosed me he is real

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I have evidence suppressed by the demon OBAMA and the devil HILLARY CLINTON that Lyman hosed me!!!

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
p sure a goon made this

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I am still haunted by the end of the sex survey results video from LC

also

Revins fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 26, 2020

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Lyman hosed me he is real

what does your heart tell you?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Are we to presume from this that Jon extracted the cat-slobber covered chicken from Garfield's throat to eat himself? Washed down with a nice mug of dog cum perhaps, delicious. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s almost as if Garfield is chaos himself, yes. He is the embodiment of chaos, disorder, hatred, fear, thievery, death, destruction, desolation. These are the things Garfield represents