Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Cards: 6/7. Accolades: 3

"18 opponents divided into teams of nine, minimum of four needed to operate the catapult, leaving five to scout, lift and re-supply. Nine on forward operations. Status of Walls, lacking. Result of impact: Catastrophic."
Yväs was tut-tuting under his breath. "What a bunch of amateurs!" It wasn't clear which team he was referring to.

"Need impact absorbers, obviously. They'll be expecting walls for our Walls. Traditionalists. Orthodox. Irksome. Guestimate trajectory will favour overhead approach. Optimal strategy concluded: Pit-Trap. Let them dig the ball out whilst we throw Stuff at them from above. See how they like it."

Plan: Hole in One

Dungeioneering, Plan: Hole In One: 1d100+5 94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Grön
Accolade= 0>3

Hand'O'Cards

-----
Grön plays Engineering on De-Hydration Saboutage!

Well. That was unfortunate. It would seem Grön forgot one of the most important tenets of siegecraft: "If you're where the enemy isn't, is there anything around for you to siege?"
(No. No, there was very clearly nothing around to siege.)

Still, with everyone busy focusing on winning the game, who would have the time to notice little old Grön clearing an obstruction for once by speed-digging a branch in the river?
It wasn't fancy, barely qualified as an aquaduct, and myriad other pointed criticisms Grön really ought not get distracted by; but it would get the water moving in the teams direction.

Eventually.

Grön tries to engineer a miniature aquaduct!: 1d100+9 109

Hm. Grön paused to look at what they had so far. It was functional enough, but what if, what if the aquaduct fed into..

quote:

Grön tapped the bluff wall on the map.

"Good, natural fort right here."
"Using the fort on the hill would probably stretch the limits of siegeball rules, but digging a new fort into the hillside?"
"Can probably get away with that, if only the once."

Musing, Grön then draws a little trench.

"...right."
"Deep enough for the siegeball to get stuck if they insist on the catapult or try rolling but not so deep we can't climb out."

"We'll need more fortifications if the opposing team aren't complete pushovers, but this ought to get us started."

"Now, between me and you, team? We do this right we can set up a network of tunnels all through the hill, opening and closing some paths here and there and have it technically be a new fort each game. Something to think about between matches."

Hmmm. Grön would have to think on this later.

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Oct 27, 2020

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Cards: 6/7, Accolades: 0 > 2

Cards: (Using)

"Water shortages? What do we actually have, that much? Alright I can work with that much."

"Batch Cooking Baybeeeee!"

"The Neotopian Bigboy breed of tömatoes might be more water than actual tömato, but in this specific instance that's exactly what we need and why I bought them for this occasion. My Grangran's secret Vegetable Stock will bulk that out further and the basil is there... Well because I think tömato soup without basil is like cereal without milk."

Spoon attempts to compensate for the water shortage with Soup, using The Extreme. 1d100 = 60

"I'm burning through most of my stock here, you're welcome."

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Oct 27, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Deck: 6/7
Hand:
Accolades: 0 > 1

Using: THE EXTREME

Bah! Who needed water when hydration was perfected by protein shakes long ago? It needed much less water, but gave you all of the vital minerals and nutrients an Oan needed to perform at their peak. What would be more EXTREME than supplementing the team's soup with Whey-Based Solutions?! While the team downed Spoon's delicious soup, Bruh grabbed some whey powder from the underground storage room and started mixing up some shakes. A little powder here, a little Slinker-ade for flavor and BAM, the team was ready to go out and GET SOME GAINS!

EXTREME!!! Protein Shake Hydration Replacement: 1d100+18 76

Slaan fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 29, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Cards:

Soup's solution to the lack of water, or it would have been if he'd even noticed, was to just not care about it.

Apathy towards dehydration: 1d100 10

"We could always tape up the walls. We could tape them up all at once before they break to save time."

e: Voting plan Yelda

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 27, 2020

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Accolades: 0->3

"Don't worry, guys, we trained for this!" Coded cheers would serve two purposes in the metagame of siegeball: communicating plays, and disrupting enemy chain of command by dint of being too drat loud.

The Flights working on catapult deployment soon found themselves shouting to be heard over "When I say information, you say asymmetry! Information!" (Yelda yelled "Asymmetry" back at herself in a different voice, in case no one else on her team had read the playbook. Can't expect anyone to be enthusiastic if you don't put in twice the effort, Cheer Squad! Your throat lozenges are industrial strength for a reason!)

Coordination!: 1d100+23 86 (Using Tactics. Number of Tactics used this turn: 4.)

As for the walls...

"Let's not sweat! Let's not stress! Give them fake forms of ingress! Ladders that won't hold their weight! Brick walls just behind the gate! Gooooo confusion!"

(Voting for Arcanuse's/Grön's hillside plan.)

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 28, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hand:
(using)
Accolades: 0 > 3

"Asymmetry!" Came in Spläg with the assist. Information warfare was right up his alley, and he was all too happy to chip in to help sow confusion. He'd familiarised himself with the playbook, and moved up to shout inaccurate statistical details to ruin the catapult's aim, synchronising with Yelda's cheers to raise the volume of the discourse and misinform the opposition.

Coordination against the catapult! (+tactics, count at roll 2): 1d100+11 72 +12 84 Tactics at 4

Plan:

The solution to the wall issue was already there on the battlefield. Let the opposition do all the hard work, then steal theirs, preferably by claiming it had been ours all along. If need be, physically robbing the entire structure en masse to add to ours.

Plan Grön

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 28, 2020

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

[Tangö - Breaking][Cards 2/7][Accolades 1]

Tangö wasn't much of a leader. Or a follower. Or really much of anything, really. She did know about how to take things apart, however, and she took off at a run while the others talked. As she ran, she scavenged through her memories for something that could give her an edge. A catapult is basically a big chair with some ropes and poo poo, right? I've busted tons of chairs. What about that old beast of a thing Uncle Gröver had? Came right apart when I tripped over it. Now what if I...

Break that Catapult: 1d100+9 55

Voting for Plan Yelda

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 27, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

[Snööd - Greasing][Cards 7>6/7][Accolades 3]
[Using Card: Tactics]

"Ugh, what're you even thinking with regular walls? Yväs has it right- pits, or trenches-AKA inverted walls are just what we need to get ahead. They can't score points on a wall beneath their feet.

"Yeah yeah, I remember the practice." Snööd Flicks their hair out of their eyes. "I'm not doing the chant though."

Distraction, disinformation, and... wait what was the third D? Eh, who cares, it was the same as during training.

"Yeah, I've got this".

Snööd lit the fires at the pre-planned locations, sending a thick, oily fog drifting across the pitch. Obscuring the catapult team's vision.

Coordination against the catapult (+tactics count at roll 3).: 1d100+17 50

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 27, 2020

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Accolades: 0->2

Bömba paced intently back and forth as the team chatted and strategized. It had been surprisingly tough going out there, but when the going got tough, people got mad. And Bömba would harness that raw emotion! In a lull in the talking he stepped up on a small grassy gnarl, voice ringing loud and clear over the din.

"Listen up, everyone! Maybe we got a little boot in our patoot, but the Flights of Fancy don't see how defeating us in these skirmishes is just gonna make us stronger! Faster! Better! Because aren't you mad? Aren't you mad those lily-livered siege-lite-lovers got one over on us the great, the fierce, the... WHATSOURTEAMNAMEAGAINHARDSY?!"

There was a brief pause while Coach Hardsy removed his palm from his face and screamed for Bömba to get on with it.

"Anyway! When we mad, we stronk! We juiced! We might ordinarily be at a disadvantage, what with these sneaky snakes (No, not you Wörm!) trying to get one over on us by stealing our sweet sweet refreshments that my sweet grämmäma mixed together for us, but it's! Not! True! Because now I'm enfuriated! Spittin' mad! And so should you be, cuz that lemonade was ours to enjoy and NOT tagged as a spoil of the fight! So we're gonna go on right over to that there catapult and we are going to have us SOME WOOOORDS!"

With strength borne from happily juicetified outrage Bömba took off towards the Flights of Fancy's hapless catapult crew.

Rules-Lawyering by the Catapult!: 1d100+9 41 (Rules-Lawyering spent!)

Wall Proposal posted:

The team's fort has a Look-There Tower with a Big Bell. The bell can be used to alert people to sneak attacks, or demoralize enemy attackers, or keep up team morale (read: furious aggravating levels of annoyance) or even send coded messages to people out in the field. It also makes for a great place to hang around and watch the sunset.

Voting for Plan Yelda.

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 27, 2020

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Accolades: 0 -> 1 2?? did my first post count for accolades how do people have 3 accolades???

Wörm was, honestly, stunned that Bömba had noticed him. Not only had he noticed him, he'd remembered Wörm's name and made a fitting joke about his sneakiness. Wörm's Christmas present last year had been his family remembering to set a place for him at the dinner table. This was all a lot to take in.

But... here, on this team, Wörm wasn't unanimously agreed to be the middle child of eight siblings even though he was the oldest. Here, on this team, Wörm was number 12, which meant he always had a place between numbers 11 and 13; even if everyone's eyes still glazed past him on the roster.

Filled with gratitude and a brotherly team spirit, Wörm decided to break out his ultimate weapon - a clipboard.

He had to clear his throat a few times to get the attention of the few catapult crew members that weren't otherwise being harassed or thrown around, but eventually they turned their heads. They didn't see the man, or the uniform - only the clipboard, which he was already scribbling vague notes onto.

"Excuse me, is this siege engine up to code?"

Rules Lawyering the Catapult with a safety inspection: 1d100+9 96 (Rules Lawyering Spent)

also voting for Plan Yelda

dmboogie fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 27, 2020

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
[Using Athletics this round...this seems very nostalgic for some reason...]
Zöd - Sucker Punching
Accoldades: 0>3

Zöd did want to just waltz up to the enemy catapult and just start punching, but she figured she should at least try to contribute to the actual "siege" part of Siegeball.

"Hey, uh, what if we had horizontal walls instead of vertical walls? We could just build some platforms on the side of our cliff, connected with retractable ladders. If the enemy team tries to scale the cliff, we can pull the ladders up and pelt them with whatever's to hand from the platform above them. Something like this, I guess..."

"Well anyways, I'm going to go get some more water, probably punch some of the opposing players on the way to calm down a bit. Anyone want to come with? It's very soothing."

Athletics to get past the opposing team to haul back water, also maybe punch some of them: 1d100+9 70
Voting for my own Walls idea.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
(Using Flashback)
Winnie - Schemin'
Accolades: 0>3 (?)
Deck: 5/7

"Come on guys, the best defense is a good offense, and the best offense is crushing your enemies under giant boulders from the safety of your castle. If we just dig the trenches like this... everything else falls into place! Especially if we oilthe trenches up really good, reallyget them nice and slick. And we can set fire to them, too! You guys start digging, I've got a scheme in play, and this scheme isn't going to scheme itself"

---------------------------------------------

Previously...

Winnie poked her head out of the bush and peered around in the darkness. Nobody around. Excellent. She signalled Trinique, and together the duo crept up to the door and--

"Really? It's not even locked? I don't know if I'm more embarrassed with them for being so bad at this, or for myself for thinking they wouldn't be. It's like they don't even want to win. Come on, let's get this over with before some sees us and decides to take pity on us for doing this against the Fancies. You know we'd never live it down."

They slipped inside the Flight of Fancy Equipment Workshop, and got to work--it was obvious that they were going with the catapult for the weekend--everything was packed up nice and neat, every component labelled. There was even a helpful set of assembly instructions. Skett really thought of everything necessary to make his team's Siegeball experience a positive one. Time to completely ruin it! Subtly.

Beams were shortened--a few inches of the end here and there off the end, enough so they wouldn't fit together right. Deep but narrow cuts were sawed into the catapult's throwing arm. Pegs were replaced with slightly larger pegs that wouldn't go in the holes, and slightly smaller pegs that would be too lose. Nails were helpfully put back in regular storage where they belonged. Two of the middle instruction pages mysteriously went missing, and old coffee was spilled on the remainder. And then, for the piece de resistance...

They opened the team's cold storage (refreshments were a must for siegeball prep work, after all), and there it was. The motherlode.

Örange slices.

"Trini, I think we've earned ourselves a midnight snack, don't you agree?"

------------------------------------------------

Winnie sidled up alongside Wörm, carrying a clipboard of her own.

"I've got my doubts, sir. I can already see five violations from here. I think we're going to have to officially decommission this thing."

Catapult Sabotage: 1d100+9 103

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Accolades: 0 -> 3

"Cool plans 'n all", Hörg spoke with a thuggish drawl he'd spent entirely too much time perfecting on his spare time, "'N don't really care much fer what ye go with, BUT", he drew some squiggles on a nearby map, "What we really be needin' is a strong aesthetic. Let 'em know what they be messin' with."

"So tag the walls at least whatever ye go with, ye get me?"

"But that's enough from me, aye? Gotta go rough up 'em dweebs while ye nerds get yer poo poo together."

Hörg cracked his neck (again), took a big-rear end swig from whatever concoctions Spoon and Brûh were working on (didn't even flinch), took a bat with some barbed wire around it, and walked out the gate.

He approached the opposing Siege Crew, not letting performance anxiety getting to him. He had rehearsed this. He knew what he was doing. He was not just a Siegeballer, he was also a licensed delinquent, tasked with making sure that people on campus were fortifying their dorms properly. Breathe in, breathe out. Remember the order of operations as laid down by Gang Leader Knöck.

Knöck posted:

"Aight, listen up, meat. The first thing people are goin' to see when meetin' ye will be yer Thug Pose. So repeat after me, yea, because if I catch ye screwin' this up and givin' us bad rep with yer ineptitude, I will beat yer rear end."

"Right, weapon in yer dominant arm. If small, like a knife, do lil' tricks with it, if large like a bat, rest it on yer shoulder, aight? Lean on the opposite leg, with yer free arm in yer pocket. We do this to give an impression of ease, ye get me? We are at ease, whilst they be the ones in trouble, ay? This be the implication."

"Then there's the sneer. Look down on 'em like they's some bug, like yer downright insulted by their presence, ay? Show some teeth, cock yer head down a bit, literally look down on them, ye. Don't matter if yer a bit shorter than average like Hörg here, 'n that case ye cock yer head sideways to get that over the nose look just right, ay? Now give me yer best sneer, everybody."

"..."

"Could use some work still, but we'll get there."

"Right, and then, when ye've done that, there's the intro speech. Ye gotta let 'em know just whose turf they be on, aight? Play it up, don't be afraid to get a bit theatrical. Just don't be talkin' on top of each other like some crowd o' monkeys, rehearse ahead o' time who's goin' to initiate."

"As per the exact words, that kinda thing be context dependent, but for a base, I like to go with somethin' like:"

"EEHHH? Who ye worms think ye be, ay? This be OUR turf, so scram before we beat the poo poo outta ye."

Using Flashback and Thuggery to intimidate enemy Catapult Crew: 1d100+9 89
Voting for Grön's plan

Theantero fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 27, 2020

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

The basic trip lines had been set up, and some pointy things had been reluctantly removed. Time for The Pitch. An excited and only slightly manic Shumpsy, clutching a crumpled up napkin, pushed his way into the Walls Huddle. "Alright, alright, alright fellas!", he said, "I got just the thing we need! Feast your eyes on THIS!"

"Yeah, no it's okay, I get it. Yväs is probably right on this one anyway. I'll, uh, just go deal with the water problem. Shumpsy ran harder than he had ever ran before towards the stream, anything to get away.

Athletics to get that water: 1d100+9 45
Voting for Yväs's plan.

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 28, 2020

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm a little late to the party here but:

D5
Vad
Fro
Background: Nobody's quite sure when Vad showed up, and where from, and upon being questioned about his prior experience and origins, Coach received a look that would come to be Vad's signature expression. The one thing other than siege mechanics which seems to elicit anything other than his famous Incredulous Stare is the rabid, yet wordless enthusiasm he exhibits when participating under a Froan flag.
Aptitude: Incredulous Stare of Doubting
Aptitude Focus: ???

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Rik
Aptitude: Polishing
Focus: Offensive
Accolade 0 -> 3?

We were... losing? How? Rik consulted his sketchbook. His wall idea was a simple one: Find some metal lying about, like some gold or whatever, form it into a wall, then polish it into a brilliant shine to dazzle and blind our enemies!

But no time for that now. Rik decided to help Spoon and Brûh with their new and improved drinks plan. He went over and started polishing the glasses/bowls, making them look more appealing to his fellow teammates. As he did so his memory slipped back to ol' Fostis, and his time at the Queen's Head bar.

Flashback! posted:

BARTENDER
"Hello small böy! What can I do you for?"

RIK
"Um..., uh..., I need some money pretty quickly, and so..., uh..., do you need someone to clean glasses for you, sir?"

BARTENDER
"Hmm, maybe. Let's see what you can do with this." Hands Rik a very filthy glass.

[POLISH!]

RIK
"All done!" Hands back a pristine glass.

BARTENDER
"That's good work! I could use glasses for longer, saving me some money! You're hired, kiddo! Name's Freddo!"

RIK
"Gee, thanks, Mr. Freddo! I'm Rik!"

Polishing the glasses for the soup/shake plan, using Flashback: 1d100+5 105 Nat 100, bay-bee! :yaybutt:

EDIT: Forgot to vote, going to go with Slaan's idea.

Cloud Potato fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 29, 2020

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

A new player appears

Incredulous Staring: Defensive Aptitude

---

The number of players in a Siegeball team is nebulous. There are probably more people on your side that have not been in the spotlight, but not so many that you could afford to get careless and allow people to get taken out of action.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Vad strolled out of the fortifications and without a word, simply walked in the general direction of the river, adopting a wide-footed stance and theatrically holding his arms out. A large boulder landed with a thud less than ten [insert Oan equivalent of feet here] from him and he just looked up at the opposing team's crenellations with a completely deadpan expression.

No-selling the psychological impact of the boulder with the Incredulous Stare so as to distract the opposing team from other water-gatherers. 1d100+9 = 100

edit: whoops that should have been +5 for tactics not +9 for engineering. Amended bonus should bring me to 96, plus other tactics user bonuses brings it to 114

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 28, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

#01 - Trinique
Aptitude: Stealing - Offensive
Hand:
Using: Holding:

The night before:

Trinique had been up late at night working on her wall plans for her team's fort when Winnie showed up silently by her bunk. It was time for a little sneakiness. Trinique bit her lip and reviewed her handiwork.

The thieving Tö teen got up from her colorful doodles, stretched her limbs, and slipped into something dark and protective: her uniform with the big number 01 emblazoned on the front and back.

Together the two teammates snuck across the battlements and into the enemy's siege supply room, completely undiscovered.

"Are you kidding me?" Trinique hissed in a stage whisper, when they discovered that the door to the Flight of Fancy Equipment Workshop was not only unguarded but completely unlocked. "Amateur hour, this crew."

Trinique hadn't even considered that there might be someone guarding the place from inside it, but thankfully for her there wasn't. Winnie apparently had acted on another hot tip from that big brain of hers!

"The coast is clear!" She rasped to Winnie, once she realized they were free to do as they please with their rivals' tools and building supplies.

In the dead of night, the two mischievous girls set to work at putting everything awry. Every once in a while, a giggle escaped from Trinique's lips. She had swiped a sample sheet of Judge Flags when she was last in the SASGY Siegeball Administrator's Office and she spent her time sticking them to various construction tools and implements of siegecraft. None of the stuff she flagged, as far as Trinique was concerned, was going to pass a judge's inspection. Trinique sawed halfway through the handles of hammers, shuffled all the metal nails, bobs, and bits so they were all the wrong sizes, and swapped several tools' locations and hid countless more. She started tying complicated knots in the rope before she took a saw edge to the rest and realized that fraying the rope was faster for making it unusable. Trinique spent the rest of her time in there with Winnie drilling holes in their work tables and flagging them.

All in all, the enemy wouldn't be able to use half this stuff without an official inspection, and even after that only a portion of their materials would probably be admissible!

> Using Rules Lawyering with Stolen Judge Flags to sabotage the Enemy's siege hardware!: 1d100+9 98

The next morning, a bleary-eyed Trinique stepped up behind Winnie, who was also holding a very official-looking clipboard and inspecting the safety parameters of the Flight of Fancy's secretly-sabotaged catapult.

"Yeah, looks like shoddy workstöship to me!" Trinique chimed in after Wörm and Winnie, "Like, um, what size drill hole would you say you're using in the wheels there, and what is their intended purpose, cuz... that's so not to spec."

> Vote: Plan Grön

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 29, 2020

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Aptitude: Tailoring (Defensive)
Cards:

Playing Card Engineering against Water Sabotage
Seeing their lack of water supplies, Änna sat down and began tailoring new water pouches that team members could use to haul more water from the river with every run. Gone would be the days when players had to labouriously carry individual containers of water while under enemy fire. With these new pouches strapped to their back and front they would be able to carry just as much water, while having their hands free for fighting.
Tailor water pouches: 1d100+9 87

Walls:
Clearly the answer had to be security through obfuscation. If the team simply erected a giant tent over their base the enemy team wouldn't know where to target any of their siege weaponry.

Vote: Plan Winnie

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Hand:
Accolades: 1 > 2

Bruh had a great idea after seeing what the others were planning on. Make the enemy team look elsewhere! They mock up the SAGSY fort with CrossFro branding and items. That'll do so many things for the team. The enemy will be misdirected, they'll Make GAINS from the new equipment and CrossFro will give income to the team through advertisements and sponsorships. Maybe later on they can get Red Slinker to sponsor the team, too....

E: Plan Trinique is my vote

Slaan fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 29, 2020

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Brilliant. The loss of the homemade lemonade stings, but when life doesn't give you lemons you chug protein powder instead. Delicious protein powder and tomato soup. It all got even better when several of you managed to bring water back from the river. Cough. Losing your drinks was bad, but who could say that you aren't doing great? Look at the audience stands. What do you think, judges? Raise a toast to them.

The Fancies' scoreboard does not increment.

High rolls from Grön and Rik. Something has happened.

B) De-Hydration Saboutage [Diff:9] (Opponent SP)

562 vs 9d100 = 401
Victory!

Smokes and noises. Despite the constant distractions, the catapult is getting set up. Their teamwork is so seamless, surely nothing can stop them. Nothing but an official inspection. With great annoyance their team pause their working to state that, yes, everything is up to code. Yes, even the team colors. Oh, hrrnngh- it is a giant catapult, all right? The judges can already see plain well that it is completely up to spec! There's nothing here that could be less than-

Very shoddy, very shoddy. And look at this. Further examination by your team proves that the structural supports are not sufficient either. Tsk. Their team would surely lose a point for this kind of embarrasment if they weren't still at zero. After much humiliation they manage to end the audit by citing article L-34-5: "several people with big hammers taking out their anger on the inspectors."
Its not a fight you can win. You fall back, midly bruised, more giggling than worried, and run back to your fortifications to observe the results.
There they go. There's a team chant. A big hurrah. The catapult weakly punts the ball into the air, breaking into small pieces in the process. The ball lands with a disappointing thwp just barely past your trenches. One of the Fancies starts cheering. Nobody joins in.

A) Catapult [Diff:9] (Opponent SP)

829 vs 9d100 = 655
Victory!

01 - Trinique

02 - Grön

03 - Winnie

04 - Soup

05 - Spoon

06 - Snööd

Your Aptitude is a free draw. Should you draw it, you also draw another card.

07 - Rik

08 - Brûh

09 - Shumpsy

10 - hörg

11 - Änna

12 - Wörm

13 - Bömba

14 - Yväs

15 - Zöd

16 - Spläg

17 - Yelda

18 - Tangö

19 - Vad

---

Some of you have drawn your Aptitude. It is a Free Draw, getting it lets you draw one more card right after. It also does not count against your hand limit, free cards!
Your Aptitude is different from Opportunity cards. It cares not for the symbol of your task. Irksome, Vexing, whatever. It is also a Free Play. You can play another card in addition to it!
The catch is that you can only play it in the matching part of the game, Offense or Defense. You are now in Defense, stop that ball!

Your team might have been put on back foot, but that is fine. You have prepared for this in advance, and you are frenetically preparing for this right now, shovel in hand. Your first line of defense is the bluff your fort rests on. A formidable formation. Well, that's just fine for you isn't it? The approach you decided on was to make it utterly impassable. Trenches ahead to slow down the opponents. Collapsible platforms, treacherous fake ladders, earth walls and duct tape-reinforced barricades to bury the fort itself. A system of pits and slides to return any bigger projectiles back to their sender.
There is quite simply put no good way to scale this hill.

So how do you access your own fort? You need to bring your toys out somehow. The answer is, you go through the hill. Much of your team's time and budget was spent on carving a system of tunnels through the earth and rock and up into your fort. A terrible trapped maze to confound any intruder.
Redirecting the whole river couldn't fit into the time budget, maybe next time. The proposal of using lava was also brought up, and considered, but ultimately your tunneling failed to uncover any. You can only surmise that you'd need to dig deeper.

For dealing with the world scoured by the sun's rays, your fort has a singe part protruding out into open air. A roburst tower topped with with a brazen Glimmering Gong. Good for making an awful racket or reflecting light into the opponent's eyes. It is a bit bare otherwise. Maybe there'd be good room for a trophy taken from the other fort...

Your Walls consist of

Brute's Bluff
Danger Dungeon
Look-There Tower

A) Underventurers [Diff: 12] (Opp. Momentum +10)
Springing back from their catapstrophe, the Flights of Fancy are back at it. If they can't get the ball up the bluff, they'll take the hard route. An improvised cart made from the remains of the catapult, and a battering ram to break down your doors. They are already in your tunnels.
This is truly your home territory, but you've got to admit that facing the Fancies in a fair fight ended badly for you. Even while feeling their way in the dark they are leaving no openings in their formation. At least the maze will keep them guessing for a long time. Don't let their scouts find the way to your Sanctum! This will probably be a battle of attrition to eat away their Momentum.

B) Butterflingers [Diff: 7] (Opp. Siege Point)

The hell

They've got ashenwings? Since when? Why are they only now bringing them out? Or did they? Is that how they got your lemonade without you noticing?
Well, now they are coming straight at your Look-There Tower! Undoubtably out to steal your precious gong! Or maybe even fight their way down the tower into your fort proper.

Momentum posted:

Momentum is the measure of how well a team is on their way to scoring a goal. It can be gained or lost along the way, but where it comes to play is at the finish line.

At the task where goals are made, the attacking team's Momentum is added to the roll of each of their players.

The ghostly words of your coach echo in your head.

- How's it out there? You're winning I trust?

- Have you got that Aptitude play going on yet? You should.

- Sometimes the opponent hands you an easy one, but you can't just sit around waiting!

- If there's no opportunity laying around then you make one!!

New Action:siren: posted:

At the end of your post, you may choose to Summon Your Aptitude, if it is still in your draw pile.
If you do, you will draw your Aptitude at the beginning of the next round, but you will draw nothing else. Still a good deal right now if your Aptitude is a defensive one. The third round will be the final part of the Defense!

But... What if you still can't take the ball from the Flights of Fancy? They would crash right into your Sanctum.

Sanctum posted:

Same deal as last time. What lies buried within your fort, buried within the bluff?

Your Sanctum is the heart of your fort, where your goal is located. The pit where the ball is to be dumped. It is where your supplies are stored, where your equipment awaits deployment. It is where you'll find your Penalty Zone, where you shall waste your time should you get penalized. And it is more than that.

Your Sanctum is where the last stand will take place. Where the opposing team will unleash their Spadiest of Aces from their sleeve. It is where you'll do anything it takes to seize the ball, while your theme music plays.

Having said all that, what is your Sanctum?

* Submitting a plan will get you a point of Accolade.

* Submitting a picture will get you a point of Accolade.

* Please do also give a vote to someone else's idea.

Recap posted:

- You can play another card in addition to your Aptitude, but only in the correct part of the game.

- You can Summon Your Aptitude from your draw pile, at the cost of foregoing normal card draws.

- The third round is the final part of the Defense.

- For the ease of bookkeeping, please specify the letter of the task you choose in your roll.

Jvie fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 1, 2020

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Accolades: 3 -> 5

The opponents were closing in on their sanctum. Hörg hoped the engineering squad had taken his suggestion for further Intimidating Gang Tags and bold, angular spike formations into account. But he had no time to go and check at the moment. The bastards were trying to steal his TAG (work in progress). He jogged to the top of the team's Look-There Tower with due haste.

"ORRRRRRRRA!" he yelled at the fliers in a properly harsh fashion whilst waving his bat at them, "What ye bastards be thinkin' ye be doin', ehhh?"

"Tryin ta steal my TAG??!?"

"Ye know that it's a WIP, ye? And ye know that that airborne raids on WIP logos be forbidden by the Proper Siegemanship Addendum 4f21 eh? OR BE YE BASTARDS ILLITERATE, EH?"

"So ye better dismount so that I can beat the poo poo out o' ye."

Using Rules Lawyering to foil Butterflingers: 1d100+9 101
Voting for plan Trinique

Theantero fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 29, 2020

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

A small addendum.

Spoon and Brûh gain a Status card from The Extreme.

quote:

Unless otherwise stated, Status cards take no space in your hand, and can't be discarded.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Grön
Accolade= 3>4

Hand'O'Cards

Spent:
-Engineering
-----
Grön plays Flashback on Butterflingers [Diff: 7] (Opp. Siege Point) !

Grön snorted. Ashenwings? Really?
Grön had worked with the creatures before, good enough creatures for general sieging, but they had one little flaw...

quote:

"...And if I do this, you stop."
The winged creatures chittered. acknowledgement? possibly.
"Good, good."
Grön rubbed their hands, giving the Lepidopteran nightmares a fresh bucket of... Seeds? Nectar? Some slop they seemed to like.
Now to just slink out of the stables; today was the big day after all...

Grön raises a hand into the air, fully expecting the Ashenwings to come to a halt.: 1d100+9 85

Hm. Well, some was better than none.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Cards: 5/7, Accolades: 2 > 3

Cards: (Using)

"Got mans in our tunnels, leftover soup not much other ingredients left. I thiiiiiink if I take the soup I have left over mix it with some of this starch I have to *really* thicken it up and just laaaay it out in their route it's gonna really make it hard for them to push that cart up through the tunnels."

Spoon pitches Engineering versus the Underadventures challenge, for +4 to the roll. 1d100 = 34

The consistency of his sticky hurdle was right, the portions with what he had available however weren't as ideal. It would maybe slow them down for a little but not for long.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Accolades: 2->4

It would probably have behooved Bömba to keep his calm and let the Fancies distract themselves within the meticulously prepared labyrinth, just to run the clock out on their assault.

"TAKE THIS! FOR GRÄMMÄMA'S LEMONADE, YOU FLITFLUT FANCIERS!"

Instead he chose to sprint around sowing chaos among the underdelvers' ranks with hit and run Whacktics*.

*Running up, hitting a person - with a mop, broom or whatever long stick-thing hadn't broken on him yet - and then running away, often in the wrong direction. Bömba was soon as lost in the maze as the Fancies were, but at least he had juicetified energy to spare and wasn't pushing a big boulder around.

Hit-and-run Whacktics in the tunnel: 1d100+9 73 (Athletics spent!)

Soaky S'okay Sanctum posted:

There's a time for violence and fury and there's a time for soaking in a hot warm Fröman Bath to let all that rampant aggression just run out of you and pool into the, uh, pool, leaving one refreshed like a newborn babe. One that's about to use all of their restored, excess energy and limberness to throw one hell of a tantrum!

The judges initially suggested the baths were something of an extravagant luxury, but the team have so far used it to great effect to loosen muscles and soothe soles after hard days of laboring at erecting the fort and its defenses (and the baths themselves). Admittedly, the morale boost from not smelling like stinky slinkers all day every day has also helped considerably.

It similarly helps that the pools are situated so that they form impromptu reserve moats in front of the ball goal. As one judge expressed it:

"This might be some Heart of Sieging thing, just let them go nuts."

Scribbleykins fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 30, 2020

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Accolades: 3 -> 4

Shumpsy panted as he sprinted up the stairs of the Look-There Tower. It was a shame that they had to place what he was looking for at the very top, but on the other hand, the very best traps were the ones hidden in plain sight. He stumbled up onto the landing and grasped the gong's stick, struggling to remember the proper figures for ashenwings.

The Night Before... posted:

Shumpsy sat crosslegged on his bed in Dorm A, Room 312 poring over encyclopedias and obscure scholarly papers. The young Töan had committed all the relevant figures to memory, all that was left to practice and experiment. He looked over the gongs of various sizes and materials he had stacked in his side of the room, and picked one and its attached stick at random.

A range of 750 through 850 hürtz for the common butterfly, bloated floaters, and diving dandies.
CLANG! CLANG! CLANG! About right.
A range of 300 through 350 for ashenwings and velvet cutters.
CLANG! CLANG! CLANG!
No frequency on record for awful shriekers, but those are super endangered anyway.

A groan came from the other side of the room, as Yväs woke up, clutching his pillow over his ears. "What?!", the scarred dungeonmaster internally monologued, "Idiot roommate, practicing Gong Technique at this hour?! Doesn't he know the vibrations will undermine the quality of the recuperative period, hurting our chances at tomorrow's game?!"

"Oh hey buddy, you're up!", an oblivious Shumpsy exclaimed, "I found out that butterflies find certain frequencies CLANG! unbearable so I'm practicing in case those goobers in the Fan-OW!"

Yväs's thrown toy catapult had hit its mark.

"Ha ha, Yväs is gonna feel sooooo stupid when this beautiful trap pays off.", the trap expert remarked as he lifted the gong's stick. 40 inch diameter, brass, standard stick, ashenwing target. Shumpsy smashed the gong, exactly as he had practiced.

B: Shumpsy has a flashback against the Butterflingers!: 1d100+9 81
Summoning my Aptitude for next round!

paper bag with a face fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 30, 2020

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

#01 - Trinique
Aptitude: Stealing - Offensive
Accolades: 3 -> 6
Hand:
Using: Holding:

While everyone on her team was scrambling like crazy to defend against the Flight of Fancy's main forces in the underground parts of their base, Trinique was doing likewise, running wildly up and down stairs and climbing furiously up their base's concealed ladders in order to resupply her fellow defenders with whatever they needed from the equipment sheds.

"Grease pots? Sure. Glue bombs? Why not. Bubble-Soap boxes? Okay..." Trinique repeated, trying to fit all the stuff in her running mental list.

As she pounded up the steps to the storage houses, Trinique felt like she was totally awake for the first time today, just in time for the late afternoon. Those enriched protein shakes Brûh had made were something else!

The young teen Tö rounded a corner and stopped. Oh, right, this was a booby-trapped dead end. Trinique turned around and looked for the button that revealed the secret doorway to go topside.

The imaginative thief had spent so much time planning out the ideal layout for her team's above-ground base, she'd forgotten to steal a glance at the maps for their base's underground interior!

Thankfully for her, Trinique had the exuberant power of youth and athleticism on her side to make up for lost time!

> A) Athletically run stolen items back and forth from team storage and the Underventurers: 1d100+9 76
> Vote: Sanctum Plan Trinique

> EDIT: Vote: Sanctum Plan Winnie

Lux Anima fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 2, 2020

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

[Snööd - Greasing][Cards 6>4/7]
[Accolades 3>6][Team Credit 0>1]

[Using Card: Greasing+Flashback]

"Ashenwings? What're they gonna do, flap aggressively?"

Mounts were easy to deal with. A little grease goes a long way. Just like back then...

------

"Haha! You'll never catch it now!" Snööd stood triumphantly, empty bucket in hand. The boar squealed in rage and bolted.

Winnie just watching it flee, snickering.

"You're meant to catch it Winnie, that's the game!"

"Just watch."

The boar barrelled into a stand, fruit launching into the air. Adults yelling, chasing, grabbing at the distressed beast, only to find it slipping from their grasp. Leaping onto its back for a fraction of a second, only to slide off the other side. At every turn, the greasy pig wriggled free from their arms, ungrabbable.

"Here we go." Winnie pushed an armful of früits into Snööd's arms, before grabbing more for herself.

"Run!"

------

Snööd smiled at the memory- until they caught themself, and returned to their practiced sullen stare.

"Gonna grease the bugs. Riders will slip right off their back. Or drop what they're carrying. Hopefully both."

B) Butterflingers. Grease + Flashback.: 1d100+20+9 61

From the tower where they waited, buckets of oil ready, Snööd could see right down to the sanctum below. Back when it was being built, Bömba's Fröman bath idea seemed like a great idea, not that Snööd would ever admit it.

Instead, Snööd pushed for an edgy Vault inspired setup- the horror stories of Vaults were told to every young Töan and Fröan, any foe would be struck by fear on approach, giving a psychological advantage on the defence. Trapped entranceways, puzzle-box access, limited keyed access- all the good stuff.

Some might say it was a little inappropriate; several players on each side had parents who had lost life or limb in a vault, but the edgy grim-ness was the point!

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 30, 2020

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

Accolades: 3->4

(Using Athletics.)

"Go, go, Bömba! Um, specifically, go, go the other direction, because that hallway ends in a fifty klörf drop, and I'll go, go and hit them from the other side, okay?"

As distracting as Yelda's hit-and-run backflip raids might've been to the underdelvers, disassembling battering ram bits and dispatching Fancies with well-placed kicks, her luminous, bloodshot eye looming out of the darkness might've done more in terms of sheer psychological impact. After all, she had the hideously unnerving stare of a Neotopian atrocitizen in the moments before they killed you, or so she'd been told.

...by her first date.

...on junior pröm night.

...and also her dad.

And then there was the bucket of warboar blood, and, look, let's not linger on junior pröm, okay?

Flipping Assault: 1d100+9 80

In any case, Yelda couldn't let them get to the Fröman baths. The sauna had her name all over it! Specifically, all over the waitlist! Which no one else apparently had signed onto, but her team wouldn't just lie about the waitlist, would they?

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Oct 30, 2020

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Brüh

Hand:
Accolades: 2 > 3 > 4
-5 for match (EXTREME penalty)

Brüh was annoyed. How dare they fly? Those jerks! Those morons, those... Those nerds! This could not stand!

Brüh grabbed a microphone from their lovely cheerleader Yelda and yelled to the Fancy Flyers exactly why this made them too nerdy to be in such a Cool Bros Only sport as Siegeball. The Rules were quite clear that there are No Nerds Allowed!

If they let in nerds, what would be best, Glëe club members on the team? Brüh shuddered

Lawyer them flyer nerds: 1d100+9-5 94

Using Rules Lawyer

Pictured, the entrance to the Froman Baths:

On the left we have the traditional Toan style baths and on the right the traditional Froman style baths. In the past, the baths were segregated based on place of origin, but no longer. The modern Siegeballer is a forward thinking, progressive thinker that is all about making GAINS in the gym and DEMOLISHING NERDS on the field with their teammates, no matter how they are colored or the number of their eyes.

None now know what the runes on the bottom of the traditional flags mean, but it is kept on the entrance hangings just in case the Oh Gees put it there for a reason

Slaan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 1, 2020

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Adorable. This reminds me to bring back something from the thread of old.

If you post a piece of fanart, you gain a point of Team Credit, not quite same as Accolade, but similar. Wait and see...

Doesn't apply to the fort plans since those already get you normal Accolades.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Deck: 5/7. Accolades: 4

Ugh. Yväs head was already aching. He had been preparing for this match for weeks now, pouring his heart and soul into the Sanctum design - a terrible fractal tesseract of interconnecting corridors, all alike, with nary a lightsource except the red eyes of rabid slinkers left to curse their domain with a woeful existence and shrill cries - before Idiot-Roomate Schumpsy had spilt his vile cöffe all over the plans, smudging them beyond recognition. What's worse, he had taken the blurred-out designs and helpfully submitted them for Yväs before he could even begin to protest, thinking it doing him a favour, leading to the now appallingly basic left-right-right-right-left-right-forward-left-left-right-right-right-left-right-right-left-right-forward-right-right-left-backward-right-right-left-forward-right-left barrier-maze the Flights of Fancy were as of this moment delving!

Schumpsy posted:

"I mean I may have penciled in a little extra behind-the-wall space because you left me barely any room for spear traps but that's all you!"

Yväs was fuming, and someone has already filled the place with oils. Oils! You couldn't let lose a burning Slinker in those conditions, without choking out the defenders! Let alone a full fledged slime! They'd have no traction! Now Yväs was visibly sweating. He had three crates of angry fauxna waiting in the courtyard and nowhere "safe" to put them. Unless.. Yväs smashed open one of the crates with a well practised elbow jab, than ran up to the parapet waving frantically at the Butterflingers - "Hey! Fanciers?! You lot remember to feed your fliers right?! Wouldn't want them to go veering off into the river, chasing delicious gooped up cheese-slimes!?!!"

Flashback to remember where some good butterfly-bait could be "recycled": 1d100+9 94

Hah! Look at them go! Idiots.

<Summoning my aptitude>

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Accolades: 4 -> 6

"Ok, so I was going through the rule books, and I found a real humdinger of a loophole from all the way back in season 2. Feast your eyes on THIS!", Shumpsy exclaimed as he slammed a piece of paper down on the table where the Sanctum Huddle was happening.

"This is totally legal! Where's the actual Goal, you ask? Up to you all, but it is my professional opinion that we put it behind a false wall somewhere, maybe triggered by pulling an inconspicuous torch? Deception is a hallmark of the traps'masters craft, after all. The Fröman Baths idea is a good one too."

Casting a vote for the Fröman Baths idea.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
[using][using]
[Tangö - Breaking][Cards 3/7][Accolades 2]

Tangö heard the others making plans, but she wanted no part in all that. She'd stand out all her own, without all this... teamwork stuff. She sprinted down into the tunnels, ready for a scrap.
Break Down That Tunnel [ATHLETICS]: 1d100+9 14
And tripped, falling flat on her face and busting up her nose. Good thing no one was around to see that... but too bad no one was around to help.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Accolade: 3->4

Cards:

Soup fortified a barricade to keep the enemy out of a strategic point of ingress. At least that's what he'd describe it as if he was ever questioned. A perfectly valid description of leaning against the door and texting on his Phön.

Playing Engineering
A

"fortify" the door: 1d100+9 70

The added mass seemed to be helping, but the shockwaves from them pounding on the other side of the door were annoying. Soup Nearly dropped his Phön several times.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 3, 2020

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
[Using Engineering this round.]
Zöd - Sucker Punching
Accoldades: 3>6

"For the sanctum, we could probably nick some of the fancier doors of the fort up top, polish them up real nice, and engrave some gibberish into them. Then we have rooms near our sanctum where we set up multiple doors to make the opposing team stop and overthink things, and once they think they've solved the 'puzzle', they get hit with a trap for thinking we'd be lame enough to do actual door puzzles. The actual route to the sanctum can be hidden with a big rock or something."

As the enemy team starts mapping out the maze to the sanctum, Zöd starts sabotaging tunnel supports ahead of them. She's not sure if collapsing a tunnel on top of the enemy is allowed, so instead she just plans to partially collapse several tunnels to slow the enemy team down enough for everyone else to do whatever they're doing. Although if she was being honest, she never really paid much attention to engineering classes...

Engineering to partially collapse tunnels to slow the opposing team's advance: 1d100+9 28

Voting for Snööd's edgy Vault doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Rik
Aptitude: Polishing
Focus: Offensive
Accolade 3 -> 6

That was some real good soup! Rik followed some of the others into the tunnels, ready to stop that ball. He travelled the tunnels until he found an opponent that wasn't directly pushing the ball, tapped them on the shoulder and explained to them their breaking of the Öffside Rule.

Rik didn't really have much of a plan for the sanctum. The whole thing was designed to be as dark as possible, which meant his talent couldn't... shine as much as they normally could. What he did have, though, was a small knife stashed away, polished to a brilliant sheen, sharpened to military precision (then blunted to SASGY Tournament standards). Useful for cutting enemies... 's equipment, honest. Also stashed alondside it was a match-book, enough for a small light to form. The other team's eyes would be accustomed to the dark in the tunnels, and so with a tiny light and a sharp knife Rik could reflect light right into their unprepared eyes, blinding them for a moment.

A: Explaining to opponents the Öffside Rule, using Rules Lawyering: 1d100+5 42
Also, voting for the Fröman Baths. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!