Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

OP of the mind

key to life's ether

OP of the lost

withdrawn from its vessel

let strength be granted

so the thread might be mended

so the thread might be mended

Policenaut posted:

Grab your sword and don your armor, we're taking a trip to the kingdom of Boletaria! This is Demon's Souls!

What is Demon's Souls?

Demon's Souls is the latest title from famed niche game developers From Software, known for titles such as: Armored Core, Chromehounds, Tenchu, and Ninja Blade. This third-person Role Playing Game is designed to be the spiritual successor to From Software's infamous King's Field franchise, renowned for its ridiculous difficulty and steep learning curve. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment, Demon's Souls brings hardcore JRPG action exclusively to the PlayStation 5!

What makes it different from other RPGs available to the PS5?

Demon's Souls caters to a special audience with a product that simply can't be found in today's modern homogonized gaming market. An experience which you simply can't get in any other title on the PlayStation 5 or any other major video game console on the market! This game can best be described as a macabre mash-up of titles such as King's Field, Monster Hunter and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Demon's Souls takes its inspiration straight from European and American developers, while giving it a distinct Japanese feel. It plays itself straight up in a gritty traditional European fantasy style, featuring full English voice acting and environments that vary from decrepid castles to the dank depths of Hell.

The equipment set-up is reminiscent of computer-based RPGs of the late 80s and early 90s, featuring a plethora of equipment and weaponry for you to utilize. Your opponents? Dark knights, brain-eating zombies, gigantic lizards, slimes, and everything the twisted world can throw at you! Your bosses? Humongous trolls wielding cleavers, red dragons that burn you to cinders, gigantic tarantulas which wrap you up in webbing, and the list goes on! There's nothing like a mascot enemy here, and your final boss certainly isn't a winged dude with symphonic accompanyment.

And the cherry on top? This game is completely balls-to-the-wall hard! That's right, there's no hand holding in Demon's Souls! There's no thirty minute long tutorial sequence, unskippable in-game pop-ups, button mashing battles, or Quick Time Events. If you want a game that rewards hard work and effort, Demon's Souls is the game for you!

This is a game that pulls no punches, gives little thought, and spares few words. The monsters will gang up on you, you'll fight bosses that will kill you in a single hit, you'll lose your footing and fall to your death, and be abused for your mistakes. You'll have to fight tooth and nail for every inch, fleeing from traps that come without warning, just to get that new piece of equipment or item you need. There's no safety in menus, and even other players will be out for your blood!

In short, Demon's Souls is a game with a sick, twisted sense of humor but an oddly rewarding and challenging title. It requires a certain penchant for masochism and the bravery for a true challenge in today's easy win RPG environment.

What's this game all about

Demon's Souls has a fairly simple story, much like its older brother King's Field. It takes place in the fictional European-inspired kingdom of Boletaria, where a corrupt King summons the Devil and uses unholy powers to bring unrivaled prosperity to his lands. Only to fall victim to his own vices and traps and abuse his power to cause great destruction, causing a great fog to cover the country and summon countless demons to devour the innocent. This is where you come in! You are a lone adventurer who quests into the depths of Boletaria to put a stop to the fog and bring peace to the land, not even death itself can stop your pursuit!

How does it play?

Demon's Souls plays from a third-person perspective, and acts like the unholy love child of King's Field and Monster Hunter. Your character is one you can name and design yourself! The game offers a robust facial creation system that allows players to customize their lowly adventurer. Players can equip all sorts of armor, weapons, and accessories and utilize a varied array of magic attacks known as Spells and Miracles. All of your actions have a weight to them, and the environment must be taken into account at all times. That cool sword you got may be strong, but how will it fare in a tiny corridor?

Survival is dependant on your ability to always be aware of your surroundings and quickly adapt to change in it and the enemies that you meet. Each new beast provides a new challenge in how to properly face and destroy it in battle, and each new area is a host to remarkable deadly traps and towering bosses. Demon's Souls demands a lot from its players but the reward will undoubtedly be worth it, so keep striving!

Aside the typical Health and Magic Points system found in every other Role Playing Game, Demon's Souls utilizes a Stamina system reminiscent of the Elder Scrolls franchise. All your actions take a certain number of Stamina points to perform but your bar is always refilling! You must take your Stamina into account when adventuring, is it wiser to go for a barrage of sword swinging to defeat your foe or should you wait for the parry? Do you stand your ground and fight the gigantic spider, or flee at top speed so it doesn't swallow you whole?

It also provides a wide variety of classes for you to choose from! Demon's Souls allows players to choose a "starting class" that suits their desired playstyle. Are you the type who loves to get up in a monster's grill and rip their guts out? Be a Knight! Do you like casting magic missile? Then Magician is right up your alley! Love the sensation of driving your knife into someone's unsuspecting back? Try a Thief! There are numerous job opportunities, each with their own natural advantages and special starting equipment. Your job doesn't totally limit your playstyle though, you can later improve your statistics and branch out into other jobs! Need a magic spell but you're a claymore-wielding knight? Go level up and learn it!

The entire game is based around deep, complex dungeons that take ages to fully explore. Your only refuge from the monsters is the "Nexus" which is the hub or "town" of Demon's Souls. Here you can talk to the locals, level up, learn new magic spells, repair or buy new items and equipment, and store your unwanted junk. Don't think though you've got it all down, New Game+ provides even more to see at the Nexus!

Did I mention this game has New Game+? That's right! Demon's Souls has tapped into the desire to carry on our legacy by allowing the player to carry over their character into a new game once they beat it! Don't think thought that you'll be right into pulverizing the enemies like you were earlier though, the game's difficulty ramps up every time you beat it!

Can I play it with other people?

You bet! Demon's Souls offers a trio of special multiplayer options for you to choose from! You'll never be lonely in Boletaria, not when you've got the souls of your dead PSN friends to come with you as you venture out to kill the giant Manta Ray!

Co-Operative
Players can utilize a special item called the "Blue Eye Stone" to set a marker on the ground that acts as a gateway to a multiplayer Co-Operative game! There's no lobby or matchmaking system, the offline game is your lobby! Other players online can see your marker and invite you into their world, and soon enough you and two other adventurers will be on your way to questing!

Competitive
What's that you say? You don't want to play nice?! Demon's Souls has got you covered! With the use of the "Black Eye Stone," players with evil intent can literally force themselves into another player's world! Taking the role of the "Black Phantom," the player must hunt out and kill the invaded player to recieve a special Souls bonus! However, if the invading Phantom is killed then you lose all your Souls and he gets a big reward for killing you.

Educational
Huh? "Educational?" Don't worry, this isn't a codeword for "scripted tutorial!" Demon's Souls offers a special method of communicating with other players in other worlds, to help (or decieve) other players about events that may be coming up in the near future! By utilizing a wide selection of stock messages and phrases, players use a bizarre Twitter-esque system of leaving messages on the floor for others to read. These messages can be read by anyone, and can even be graded on their usefulness! Players who leave helpful messages are rewarded with a full health restore!

... Of course, you could also use it to grief other players and trick them into killing themselves! Try leaving a "Jump here for a reward!" message at the edge of a cliff and see what hapless idiot tries it!

When does it come out?! Where can I buy it?!

A long time ago, goony goons such as myself were totally brave and hardcore and had no idea if this game was even going to be in English on PS5.

You can buy Demon's Souls as a Greatest Hit in North America for $69.99 in 2 weeks.

the 'PS5 Difference'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b-dRWLhsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foayUS5xlSg

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Reserved.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd describe it as Fallout without guns tbh

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Hell yeah, can't wait to get my rear end whipped by Flamelurker again

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

:worship:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
god drat im excited to play this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shrine of Storms is god-tier level design imo

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
I have never finished a Soulsborne game. I pledge to make this the first. What is the n00biest bad at games person build I should use?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Shrine of Storms is god-tier level design imo

Oh my God yes.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

Lumpy posted:

I have never finished a Soulsborne game. I pledge to make this the first. What is the n00biest bad at games person build I should use?

Magic build from what I hear.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got so excited when I locked a PS5 preorder that I went on the website and digitally preordered this. Because that’s how my brain works.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

I can't wait to hear how Latria sounds and to see how filthy Valley of Defilement looks.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Lumpy posted:

Royalty which is the sorcery/intelligence build, by far, magic is super op especially in the first level, and also because you can use ranged attacks and the most common thing to gently caress me up was the basic undead’s rapid flailing attack that stun locks you. Also your head piece regenerates MP, so yeah. I had beaten every soulsborne game before Sekiro came out and wanted to beat demon’s souls before Sekiro came out and I was just getting my rear end kicked in the first level before I could make it to the shortcut or unlock the boss door.. then I started a new character but chose royalty and I easily made it to the boss in one go.

Holy poo poo I can’t wait for this game, I’m ecstatic.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Extremely hyped to finally be able to play this game :allears:

The last souls game unconquered :black101:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
just noticed the gargoyle hit damage spray, or whatever its all called, all dust and stone. looks incredible. already forgetting about a bunch of areas and those screenshots of the ps3 version have me thinking, wait what, did i see every area in the game

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

blizzard? lmao what

is this a joke based on atlus publishing the ps3 usa version? bandai namco published it over here and i was watching brad at easy allies play through it recently and i saw the atlus logo and thought he had loaded up persona instead or something, i was so confused.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 28, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I can't believe this game was originally pitched as an Oblivion killer.

It's so much better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

blizzard? lmao what

is this a joke based on atlus publishing the ps3 usa version? bandai namco published it over here and i was watching brad at easy allies play through it recently and i saw the atlus logo and thought he had loaded up persona instead or something, i was so confused.

was waiting until somebody noticed :grin:

it's not the final boxart

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

can't wait to consume some crescent moon grass

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

:neckbeard:

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

*Sharpening of scraping spear intensifies*

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It's a shame they went for that cover art and not the one where there's a helmet on the floor. :/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I doubt that's the final cover art but who knows

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Long ago

The people who united the world by the power all alone the Old One with her Insatiable drains. The Uld Une brought it a thich colorless log and hurda al dem halt the world and countless Jouta wireless The ancients scaled the dozing beast inside the Rexus and entrusted sts ciders with als

precious Archstones and to the king of a amall ye diligent land unc to tse king ul the

burrovera underground on to the wise queen of the great ivory tower uncN he chiftun uf lost and ill-lorfuned souls one to the ahaman of the tempest-soraluping shadowma and last to the great giants of the Northern Landa

In the present day the northerm hingdom ut Boletaria ruled by King Allant the twelfth. vas

abruptly svalovou by strange colurleas fou Rone who dared penetrate the dep fug ere

returned, Vallarlas of the Twin langa brote trec and tuld the world ul Doletariaa pligt

The atd ing lant around the old one the great beaal below the Rexus from a dumal

slumber which brought the colorless log unleashing terrible demuna hat huntad mun and claimed their duula Those who lost their agula alao luat heir minda. The mad attached aane and chaos reigned. The legend spread quickly mighty warrior vere drawn to the accuracd land but nune

have hurnad The uturtuaa deep log now alowly creeps beyond Boletarta's burders and

humankind lucea astus and steady extinction aa the decp lug will eventually allow all

lands near and far.

But Boletana has e Alone warrior has braved the baneful fug

has the land lundi u have the demens found a new alaver

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Walrus posted:

Long ago

The people who united the world by the power all alone the Old One with her Insatiable drains. The Uld Une brought it a thich colorless log and hurda al dem halt the world and countless Jouta wireless The ancients scaled the dozing beast inside the Rexus and entrusted sts ciders with als

precious Archstones and to the king of a amall ye diligent land unc to tse king ul the

burrovera underground on to the wise queen of the great ivory tower uncN he chiftun uf lost and ill-lorfuned souls one to the ahaman of the tempest-soraluping shadowma and last to the great giants of the Northern Landa

In the present day the northerm hingdom ut Boletaria ruled by King Allant the twelfth. vas

abruptly svalovou by strange colurleas fou Rone who dared penetrate the dep fug ere

returned, Vallarlas of the Twin langa brote trec and tuld the world ul Doletariaa pligt

The atd ing lant around the old one the great beaal below the Rexus from a dumal

slumber which brought the colorless log unleashing terrible demuna hat huntad mun and claimed their duula Those who lost their agula alao luat heir minda. The mad attached aane and chaos reigned. The legend spread quickly mighty warrior vere drawn to the accuracd land but nune

have hurnad The uturtuaa deep log now alowly creeps beyond Boletarta's burders and

humankind lucea astus and steady extinction aa the decp lug will eventually allow all

lands near and far.

But Boletana has e Alone warrior has braved the baneful fug

has the land lundi u have the demens found a new alaver

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lumpy posted:

This is a game that has actual collectable healing consumables that you can also purchase and hoard in bulk, so you'll be fine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yoooo this sounds as good as it looks. I hear harpsichords!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foayUS5xlSg

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I am pretty curious how people will react to this game. I think the bosses are going to be a big disappointment for many. I hope the things that are great about Demon's stay great so the stuff that's less good doesn't hurt as bad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm just happy to have more souls

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I never got a PS3, but the only reason I even considered getting one was for Demon's Souls. While it's true I won't be able to get this for quite some time due to PS5 rarity, it's still nice to know it's coming out. :unsmith:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is there any indication that this is ever going to be available on PC?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Ground floor for the reason I'm probably getting a ps5.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

from the ps5 thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b-dRWLhsk

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Fister Roboto posted:

Is there any indication that this is ever going to be available on PC?

It is already available ! (via PS3 emulator :pcgaming:)

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the physics look off when that boulder crashes down on the walkway in ps5, in ps3 they shatter and fall everywhere but the ps5 just kinda falls through the fall, looks very weird. hopefully an old build

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

The Walrus posted:

I am pretty curious how people will react to this game. I think the bosses are going to be a big disappointment for many. I hope the things that are great about Demon's stay great so the stuff that's less good doesn't hurt as bad.

Especially since the souls series has a pretty steady difficulty curve. I dont recall anything in Demons' thats harder than 3 and after Sekiro it's going to feel so slow. It's still fun though. It'd be cool if Fractured mode was more of a remix than just mirrored.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

I truly wonder how much has changed regarding mechanics / weapon balance and animations from the from the original Demons Souls.

From that interview with the developer, they asked him about the scraping spear and weapon a balance and he didn't really answer the question.

What I'm trying to say, is if you see someone with a +5 Blessed Mirdan Hammer, an Adjucators Shield, a scraping spear and a baby's nail trolling you on 2-1,it's probably me.

WalletBeef fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I read they redid the animations but kept all the frame data intact. It's going to be funny for people who are coming from BB or DS3, seeing all the bosses drop dead after ten attacks.