Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The easiest farming spot is right after 4-2? 4-3? near where you run around the mountain and into the catacombs. You just walk in with a bow right past the spawn, shoot the guy dead (which kills all his wraiths too), then go back and repeat. Very boring though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Kin posted:

I'm always running around in ghost form or whatever it's called to prevent the worlds from getting harder when I die though. So maybe I'm actually making it too hard for myself compared to how difficult the world might get if it's pure black?

This is the correct way to do things, you are not making it harder on yourself. Letting it go black would make it harder :)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Tatsuta Age posted:

The easiest farming spot is right after 4-2? 4-3? near where you run around the mountain and into the catacombs. You just walk in with a bow right past the spawn, shoot the guy dead (which kills all his wraiths too), then go back and repeat. Very boring though!

If that's the one where you snipe from the upper balcony at the beginning, I wasn't sure if it was technically faster?

I can get about 7000 souls per run of that method, vs 20,000 of the flying things in 4-4.

It's just that you gotta hide and slowly kill those flying things.

That being said, maybe the fastest way would be to kill one or two of the flying things, right next to the starting point. Die, respawn and quickly pick up the souls again before repeating.

I think I could get a few thousand every couple of seconds that way.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Haven't played this since first getting my PS5. Lemme tell you about all the things I MISS from Elden Ring:

- Stakes of Marika (the Penetrator boss run is making me a sad, sad panda)
- haptic feedback. This one surprised me a bit. I keep not noticing that I'm getting hit because of the lack of feedback.
- flasks (not that there's any shortage of grass, but it just gets silly tryna scroll thru a bunch of poo poo on your item bar to heal, but you don't want to FULL heal, you just wanna top up, so not that grass, but this one, etc.)

Things that I am SUPER glad are gone from later games:

- encumbrance (at least it's not like it was in the OG version)
- bizarre, obtuse upgrade system
- Ostrava's dumb rear end

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Kin posted:

If that's the one where you snipe from the upper balcony at the beginning, I wasn't sure if it was technically faster?

I can get about 7000 souls per run of that method, vs 20,000 of the flying things in 4-4.

It's just that you gotta hide and slowly kill those flying things.

That being said, maybe the fastest way would be to kill one or two of the flying things, right next to the starting point. Die, respawn and quickly pick up the souls again before repeating.

I think I could get a few thousand every couple of seconds that way.

Using the 4-4 sword makes it fast IMO, it shouldn't feel too slow

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Yeah, using the special sword, the flying rays are the fastest option. Don't forget the ring from 3-1 (costs 50k) that gives you extra souls (and if you have the female body type, the gloves from 3-1 as well).
There's also a spell that gives you extra souls.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pennfalath posted:

Yeah, using the special sword, the flying rays are the fastest option. Don't forget the ring from 3-1 (costs 50k) that gives you extra souls (and if you have the female body type, the gloves from 3-1 as well).

Good to know and yeah that spell is one of the next things on my list to get.

I've just rescued the witch who gives you it, but I need to go and kill the boss for it now.

I've also pretty much neglected my equipment, so I'm running around in the starter wizard gear.

I read that there's a secret boss in world 1-1 who gives you a good set of armour and a silly strong sword. But to get to him I need the key from that NPC who keeps getting into trouble.

I've just unlocked 1-4 and read that he kills himself at the end of the area. How long and difficult is 4-1?

I had a quick go of it last night and it didn't seem too hard (I got up to the blue dragon).

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I am doing a Demon's run to get my last trophy (Sage's).

lmao how did we ever think the 4-2 boss run was okay?

I don't play a ton of Demon's so don't know it as well as the others, so it took a while to find the strat again, but even knowing the strat it still suuuuuuuucks so bad.

the 3-1 boss run is long, but you only have to kill like 3 things.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Who thinks the run is okay, show me them so I can lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The 4-2 runback is the only time the Demon's Souls remake made me actually Mad At Video Games. It was never even the boss who killed me, I'd die a couple rooms before the boss and then get increasingly angry.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

That's the one with all the summoner things, right? I don't even think there was a shortcut on that one, was there?

This game taught me a lot about playing super safe on the bosses because I sure as gently caress didn't want to have to run the whole level again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No shortcut, narrow paths, very easy to get clipped by something if you're rushing and not paying attention especially the exploding things in the sticky white stuff room.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sakurazuka posted:

No shortcut, narrow paths, very easy to get clipped by something if you're rushing and not paying attention especially the exploding things in the sticky white stuff room.

This is the area that leads to the blind boss, right? What’s the strat, shoot from afar and try to be quiet?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For the boss? Equip the thief's ring, get a few hits in and relocate, he's the easiest part of the stage lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Taking the 4-2 runback slow is just gonna give you more opportunities to mess up. Best to sprint straight through everything and only hit stuff that’s directly blocking you (one or two of the shadowmen may do this because DeS looooves narrow passages)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Taking the 4-2 runback slow is just gonna give you more opportunities to mess up. Best to sprint straight through everything and only hit stuff that’s directly blocking you (one or two of the shadowmen may do this because DeS looooves narrow passages)

This. Plus I found a speed running strat where you can toss a…uh..whatever this game’s alluring skulls are, and lure the 2 dudes on the narrow steps off to their doom.

Handy for getting them out of the way at least. Just toss it at the side of the stairs below their feet.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pennfalath posted:

Soul Thirst is really not a very good spell. It increases soul gain by 50% which is nice, but only for 30 seconds and it also takes up an absolutely insane three slots and costs 200 MP per cast. You need an Intelligence stat of 30 (or 22 with the Silver Catalyst and Coronet equipped at the same time) to even be able to cast it in the first place.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

DeS loving loves wasting spell slots, that’s one thing they toned down for the sequels that I definitely don’t miss at all. So many 2 and 3 slot spells

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Soul Thirst is really not a very good spell. It increases soul gain by 50% which is nice, but only for 30 seconds and it also takes up an absolutely insane three slots and costs 200 MP per cast. You need an Intelligence stat of 30 (or 22 with the Silver Catalyst and Coronet equipped at the same time) to even be able to cast it in the first place.

use an int scaling melee weapon and cast it right before killing a boss. easy souls strat

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Sakurazuka posted:

For the boss? Equip the thief's ring, get a few hits in and relocate, he's the easiest part of the stage lol
Crap I forgot all about the thief’s ring. Just found it!

skasion posted:

It took me a while to realize I didn’t need to kill those grim reaper dudes after the first one, kept getting one shot :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hey it's return to Boletaria.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So having last week off due to the holiday, I got nostalgic and fired up Demon's Souls for old time's sake.

Noticed when I did that I only have ONE trophy missing: All Spells.

Oof. First run thru NG went fast, but I had forgotten just how MUCH of a leap the difficulty jumps in NG+ on this one. Think I may just dupe up some consumables, and level up to the point of silliness.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Did the PS5 remake fix the thing where you can accidentally hit Biorr with part of a big claymore swing or whatever during the Penetrator fight and turn him permanently hostile? If not then lol

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Playing through Demon's Souls for the first time. All I have left is pure black tendency in world 5, pure white world tendency in world 4, the final boss of world 4 (though I've technically killed it in co-op, I haven't killed it in my world), and the king.

The game is pretty fun, but it is mostly interesting to me to see all the stuff in the later games that referenced things from Demon's Souls.

It's also amusing to read things about how dangerous or difficult some of the fights are, and then I go fight them and they just kind of fall apart. Granted, I'm playing a wizard, and magic is stupidly overpowered in this game, but I read things about how people cheese a boss with poison for 30 minutes or pushing it off a ledge over and over, and I meanwhile kill the boss in 3 casts of homing soul arrow and call it a day. Hell, even the boss of 5-4 and the black phantom in 5-4, who I have always heard were incredibly strong, were completely fine (if slow) in melee, and melted to firestorm when I lost my patience and decided to just end the fight.

And to be clear, I don't mean that as a way to brag. The Souls games have been pushing encounter design to be tighter and more difficult. Modern bosses have more varied moves, different timings, and are generally more punishing. Modern characters also have comparatively more options, but it makes going back to the early games where encounters are very straightforward much easier. I got wrecked repeatedly by different bosses in Elden Ring and Sekiro, and the Souls games in general. It's just a very different difficulty when you've already gone through the other games in the series first.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Demon's Souls was very much made with the idea that the level is the challenge and then you have a boss at the end, and those are varied challenges. Since Bloodborne From was pushing the boss envelope more and more

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Magic in DeS is ludicrously busted, if you can't just delete enemies they can be a huge problem. Garl Vinland is absolutely a mountain of HP and seems unapproachable at first, big part of the boss design is definitely that you can also just take out the maiden first. The guides you found weren't written by people bad at the game, they just didn't add "or if you're a mage, just cast Firestorm" for every boss tactic

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Been fiddling about lately learning various skips and things. Man the skip that lets you basically skip ALL of Prison of Hope is the jam. I'm not sure I will be able to prevent myself from using it always, unless I have a good reason to poke around in there for something. Now 3-1 is: skip to bottom, roll through ballista, turn it off, fight boss. :v:

Also: not sure I have ever done Dragon God as a pure melee character and (dragon)GOD is it awful. I have always had some sort of magic to clear the rubble in front of me, but having to do it melee is so tedious.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My problem with magic in every From game is that the melee combat is some of the best in video games, and then you have the option to be a spellcaster which makes the game a crap 3rd person shooter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Magic is the most awesome and fun way to play Souls games and it's good when From encourages more build diversity by making it strong (Demon's Souls, Elden Ring) and bad when they make it crap for no good reason (DS3).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Gort posted:

My problem with magic in every From game is that the melee combat is some of the best in video games, and then you have the option to be a spellcaster which makes the game a crap 3rd person shooter

:yossame:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I loved how Elden Ring's magic wasn't all ranged attacks. There's plenty of room for melee caster builds. First Souls game where I invested heavily in INT, not coincidentally

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Magic in DeS is ludicrously busted, if you can't just delete enemies they can be a huge problem. Garl Vinland is absolutely a mountain of HP and seems unapproachable at first, big part of the boss design is definitely that you can also just take out the maiden first. The guides you found weren't written by people bad at the game, they just didn't add "or if you're a mage, just cast Firestorm" for every boss tactic

Garl Vinland was an encounter that made more sense in the designers' heads than in the game. It's a good top-down idea, sure, the knight is protecting the maiden so he guards the bridge and won't let you cross. Except that in practice, it means you fight him at the edge of the bridge and just take a step back any time you see him wind up a swing, and if he hits you then you have all the time in the world to back up and leisurely smoke some grass. It's just a scenario that works better in a fantasy story than in an action game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Phenotype posted:

Garl Vinland was an encounter that made more sense in the designers' heads than in the game. It's a good top-down idea, sure, the knight is protecting the maiden so he guards the bridge and won't let you cross. Except that in practice, it means you fight him at the edge of the bridge and just take a step back any time you see him wind up a swing, and if he hits you then you have all the time in the world to back up and leisurely smoke some grass. It's just a scenario that works better in a fantasy story than in an action game.

Yeah, I was meleeing him with the Moonlight sword and while the damage was minor, I was in no danger whatsoever because Garl has no poise. I could walk up, hit him (for like 50 damage), roll back, and repeat forever.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Gort posted:

This is why I like having the ability to scale my weapons and spells off the same stat.

I get the best of both worlds.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
yeah i just played through this game (ps3 version) as melee and it was kinda hard as balls in certain sections. the levels are really oppressive and there's lots of things your weapon isn't very good at fighting (especially the knight's longsword). when it's your first playthrough you don't really have a lot of consumables, or know where to find them. you can't just grab the magic falchion in 4-1 bc you don't know it's there. the game being a lot jankier also makes melee more unpredictable. i really struggled through armour spider and flamelurker as melee. it kinda let up towards the last third-ish of the game when i got a giant health pool and a greatsword and enchant weapon to pancake enemies but was pretty tense and fun all the way through. since you always have to close range to engage you're more or less always in danger.

now i'm replaying it as royal building for magic and l o l

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So are invasions not also tied to network passwords?

Guides for things that need PWCT are always like "just set a password and have a friend invade you" but I tried that several times last night with a buddy and he kept invading other people instead of me. Never did manage to invade me after 5-6 tries.

Were we just unlucky or are passwords irrelevant for invasions?

The level difference was him 39, me 66, which also could have affected things.

Am I missing something?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
If I remember right, red stone yes, black stone no; it did work initially when the game launched but they changed things later

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

So I’ve been playing this for the first time, methodically progressing through all the world stages. I didn’t realize the 3rd parts were just arenas so the game has now turned into a boss rush :v: 3 down so far.

Been going pretty well so far with one exception: The 4 giant depraved on an island in Miyazaki swamp are straight up the hardest thing I’ve encountered in any souls game.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

Been going pretty well so far with one exception: The 4 giant depraved on an island in Miyazaki swamp are straight up the hardest thing I’ve encountered in any souls game.

I think that was literally the one thing in any of the levels I didn't bother clearing haha, I dunno how the hell you're supposed to fight them if you can't dodgeroll. I think they're just guarding a few stones of ephemeral eyes anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I dunno how the hell you're supposed to fight them if you can't dodgeroll.

Fire storm