Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
this game is really good looking but the “next gen” aspect of the visuals for me is how clean it is. 4k, 60 fps, lots of visual effects, no aliasing, no obvious shortcomings. a ps4 game might look this good in a screenshot but i think the ps5 gen will be visually defined by pretty much every game running great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

decided to pick this up as my second souls game after bloodborne. i knew it was supposed to be tough but i thought i would have a little bit of an upper hand having platinumed BB and gotten thru its DLC for the first time on NG+ but i was wrong!

the game plays different enough that it warrants its own steep learning curve, which is both frustrating and fun. i did manage to beat Phalanx on my first try as a Barbarian two-handing a big sword i forgot the name of. however, just getting to Phalanx in the first place was a hell of an uphill battle.

also, idk if this is sacrilege: i have a 4K tv and the game looks absolutely fantastic, but i'm playing on cinematic mode over perfomance. to me, the game already feels buttery smooth and the higher resolution is much nicer to look at. in performance mode it feels like everything's on ice and i'm not sure how much i benefit from more frames over something that feels more comfortable to play while also looking the best it possibly can.

i wouldnt say its sacrilege since this is the first souls game to have a 60 fps initial console release, but i literally couldnt tell the difference graphically between cinematic and performance mode
edit: and i have a good big tv

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

the game does look great even in performance mode, but i think it has to do with what Harrow brought up above. the faint details in the distant objects just feel sharper which makes the overall image that much more presentable. i'll need to play in performance mode for longer than, like, 30 seconds to see if i dig it but yeah cinematic feels like the way to go for me so far

if you stand perfectly still im sure those background details look nicer but the lower framerate makes them harder to see when youre actually playing the game

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
was reading through the original thread and this made me lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

Oh yeah, first time. So much so that I thought I just had to carry on after beating the Phalanx. You know, 1-1, then 1-2 and so on. So, I should just start at 2-1? I'm using the bastard sword right now. Which weapon should I be looking out for? And (if) I get through 2-1, then what?

God help me I don't know what I'm doing.

visit every archstone and decide for yourself which one seems easiest, theyre all difficult in completely different ways and they all have different benefits (1 has grasses, 2 has upgrade mats, 3 has spices, 4 has souls, 5 has, uhhhhh)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

poo poo, I almost forgot.

In 1-2 there's a merchant under the bridge (after the first fire dragon attack there's a stairway down, then keep going in the direction you were going anyways) who will sell you a club for 500 souls.

Take that club to 4-1 and marvel at how the hard to kill skeletons are now a complete joke because their weakness is Blunt damage.

Happy farming!

also if you like the bastard sword save up 6000 souls and buy the claymore from this same merchant

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
anti magic field is hilarious in pvp

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
parrying is easier in this game than any other game with souls in the title but its still not necessary

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

Alright then, I will leave her my shiny telescope.

Already hating world 2, mine levels are always confusing and scary. Well, actually the whole game is stressful and scary. I hate playing it, but I'm always thinking about when I can play it next.

These fire lizards...Internet says magic takes them out nicely, but I have a strength guy. Is there a good tactic for them?

they wont chase you so just ignore them

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive been invading 1-4 with moonlight greatsword and anti-magic field and i couldnt lose if i tried

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Augus posted:

I mean on the other hand the back half of Bloodborne is basically “oops! all Latria” and it’s loving incredible

yeah the miyazaki-directed entries dont really have any of the derivative designs dark souls 2 and 3 do. dark souls 1’s main problem is that it was way too big for its britches

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bows1 posted:

found this thread again thanks to Beanpole

I finally got a ps5 and started DeS

Done with 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 1 chain in 3-2, and working on 4-1 now. Im rolling with the battle axe and a STR build now.

Are there still tendency events? I see some messages about how things change in white tendency but I have no idea how to get there and Im trying not to look things up until after I finish it the first time.

you cant do pure white world tendency events unless you clear the game or get invaded and never lose to the invader, dont worry about it until ng+ imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

umm unless he's been killed in body form he can do every single white tendency event just by beating all the bosses and leaving one of the archdemons alive (usually 1-4 is the standard one to do last)

thats basically what i mean by “clearing the game”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

Apparently I was supposed to find patches on all the scaffolding in 2-2? I found the dirty chap sitting on the floor but no patches...am I missing something important, I've looked all over, and he's not in the nexus either.

Also, flamelurker kills me about 10 seconds after being in the same room as him.

patches will be in world 4-2 regardless

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just go do another level and come back to it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

One of the things that makes the Meat Cleaver exceptionally strong is that it's one of the rare weapons that has inherent magic damage but can also be buffed with resins and spells. Cast Light Weapon on it for a real good time.

Shout out as well to Curse Weapon for remaining hilariously overpowered in the remake because they never fixed the "use the Talisman of Beasts without meeting the requirements" bug with it. Why yes, I would like to increase my weapon's damage by a flat 50% for the low, low cost of a completely negligible 1 HP per second drain that my Adjudicator's Shield more than makes up for.

shoutout to putting curse weapon on stuff

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

Oh, poo poo, I only have 12 dex. Ok.

Also,.got killed by a statue throwing arrows! Hooray, now I gotta kill horrible cthulu priests again.

theres probably an alternate way past that statue but i dont know it because i roll through the arrows perfectly every time

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

henpod posted:

I'm not gonna spoil this. If the game is gonna kill me in an unfair and funny way, so be it.

you made the right choice. youre already asking way too many questions about a game that rewards intuition and exploration

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just finished my third NG+ and on my fourth NG with the first character im going to take past level 120 (quality build,) i think this might be the least flawed fromsoft game. every single element combines to make an extremely coherent and intentional experience. all the little stat quirks have their place, theres nothing thats pointless or actively detrimental, even luck is a useful stat given the amount of farming you have to do for some of the rarer upgrade paths. im very impressed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just brainstorming here but this is my list of perceived flaws in the last bunch of fromsoft titles:

demon’s soul’s:
-maneaters
-world tendency should improve jf you help someone beat a boss and get darker if you invade and kill someone
-stairs leading up to old monk are always a nightmare

dark soul’s:
-capra demon’s dogs
-bed of chaos
-resistance stat
-too many obtuse gameplay pranks (curse, drake sword, hidden bonfire at sen’s fortress)
-bows are awful
-fast roll breakpoint is too low
-soft humanity is stupid
-too hard to get a red eye orb
-has a boss thats a dragon

dark soul’s 2:
-really awful animations
-stamina is way too scarce
-equip load is its own stat
-estus heals too slow
-estus animation is too long
-parry and backstab are awful
-designed to be annoyingly difficult
-adaptability
-schizophrenic illusory walls
-unfarmable enemies

dark soul’s 3:
-armor affects roll distance for some reason
-weapon arts are half baked and either useless outside pvp or totally busted
-impossible to invade anything other than large groups
-magic/faith are way underpowered even compared to ds2
-luck is back but sucks
-co-op system a step back from ds2
-story is completely incomprehensible

bloodborn:
-not enough in-game information about weapon damage types like serrated, piercing, righteous, etc
-not enough in-game info about breaking the bones of bosses
-framerate issues
-multiplayer is iffy
-not enough blood gems outside the chalice dungeons
-cant refresh zones by sitting at lamps
-arcane tools shouldnt use bullets

sekiro:
-dragonrot is pointless
-the same song plays every time you enter combat
-CANT CHANGE CLOTHES!!!!!!! (until very recent dlc)
-folding screen monkeys are stupid and boring
-have to grind for hours to unlock all the weapon arts even after two ng+ cycles
-weapon arts are terribly balanced

as you can see demon’s soul’s clearly has the fewest things to complain about

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

GutBomb posted:

1: firestorm. Also don’t lock on.
2: yep
3: bring a bow.

I’d add Dragon God to your list.

maneaters problem is that the ai is really bad and the arena sucks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Augus posted:

sekiro's dragon boss was awesome, gently caress you and gently caress your stupid list!!

EDIT: I often forget about dark souls 2 despawning enemies if you kill them too many times. what a dumb mechanic lol

the dragon boss in sekiro is awesome, i just wanted to be consistent

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

There are literally two mechanics you can use in Dark Souls 2 to respawn enemies, one of which kills the respawn limit entirely.

listen. you probably know more about the inner workings of dark souls 2 than anyone else on these forums. so please dont think im disrespecting you when i say: i dont care

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

I don't know that I've killed an enemy fifteen times in any souls game in one playthrough, but it's stuff like this that doesn't make me sad that I never went and played any of the ones before Bloodborne (except for this one, which sort of doesn't count)

dark souls 1 is really good

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you use firestorm as the old monk you should have your ps5 taken from you

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

Incidentally, 16 Faith is nearly mandatory for any PvP build because it's what you need for Second Chance, so the Meat Cleaver's requirements aren't making you go too far out of your way (since 16 Faith is also what you need for the Meat Cleaver).

im uncertain that second chance is more useful than anti-magic field, unless youre dueling

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

They are both really good, but Anti-Magic Field is obviously only good vs magic, while Second Chance is good always. No reason you can't get both swap them out as needed, though; while Second Chance is the obvious draw to getting 16 FTH, the other miracles are pretty good in their own right!

true. but second chance is only good if you get hit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Harrow posted:

It's for dueling, yeah. Most of the optimized SL 120-125 PvP builds people put together tend to be designed for dueling, and in the dueling scene, everyone uses Second Chance. But yeah, you could run Anti-Magic Field for invading instead, where you're not planning on a fair fight anyway.

anti magic field is what makes it a fair fight imo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Firstborn posted:

Should I start by getting vit up to 30~ before attack/equip stats like in other Dark Souls?

it’s not a bad idea

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

When attempting to Pwn the Blue Dragon, you can also wear a ring and equip a sword that make you do oodles of extra damage if you are below a certain HP threshhold, and I used both of those items to drramtically spped up the process. if you don't already have those items, the ring and the sword, getting them just requires some boss souls for the sword and the ring is just like a drop in 4-1 or 4-2 I think

the ring is in front of the big arrow firing machine in 3-1

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bows1 posted:

Solo'd those goddamn Maneaters. Is their AI kinda screwy or just me? SOmetimes they'd just hover above me and we'd stare at each other until they decided to come down and fight. Like 20 seconds some times!

their ai is completely broken

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
invading in a souls game has never been easier than with the foe’s ring & pure black character tendency & anti magic field

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Help I beat the game using Spells and Firestorm for every boss and now I can’t beat any of them as a Temple Knight. I have all the items from 1-1, 2-1, 4-1, and 5-1 but I’ve only beat Phalanx. Not really sure what weapons I want to be using for best DPS.

only the last boss requires any combat skill whatsoever

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Old King Doran was an order of magnitude more difficult than probably any other boss in the game, for my Paladin.

Starting a NG+ from PBCT, is there a prescription for going pure white? I need Friend Ring.

and at what point, if ever, will the Moonlight Sword out-DPS the Dragon Smasher? I kinda want to push to, like, 50 faith to see what God’s Wrath can do

moonlight sword isnt a big dps weapon at any point, its mostly useful for doing pure magic damage and ignoring shields

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

if you're a mage just firestorm them as they walk through the fog gate

or actually fight the host as most people are iust progressing through the game and are terrible at pvp

but you'll prob end up getting it when someone bites it on their way up the stairs

if you use firestorm or heal as the old monk youre a jerk

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Eggnogium posted:

Uh I guess I died in human form one too many times (2 times...) in Latria as now there’s nasty red guys on my boss run and everything one shots me.

From reading it seems like killing the red guys should reset tendency back to normal but I’ve killed like 10 with no difference. Am I misunderstanding something?

the only red guys that improve tendency are insanely difficult and theres only one of them per world and they dont respawn

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gort posted:

I think I must have the world tendency system down wrong in my head. I had Valley of Defilement at Pure White and was off to do one of the Pure White World Tendency events when I fell off a cliff, in human form.

That should've dropped my world tendency 30% towards black, right? How come it's still at Pure White?

it only changes when you return to the nexus

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Crystalgate posted:

You can escape that combo by switching weapon at the right time in the original game. Does it still work?

yes

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

King Bahamut posted:

How should I go about getting rid of the blue dragon in 1-4 if I happened to be under-spiced and got Biorr killed. Barring that, how do I do the boss run with it there? Just carry fire resist gear and switch out every time?

the fire only has a hitbox when its coming out of his mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
insanity catalyst is good for builds that use magic primarily for weapon buffs