Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Fog gates divide the levels into rough segments, which is mostly important for the online - if you cross a gate, your summon signs will disappear so you won't be called back too much, and if someone invades, they're placed in the same area (before or after a fog gate) as you, so they know roundabout where to find you.

Dark Souls 1 also has a bunch of "pointless" fog gates which serve about the same purpose. Added fun is that you can cross them from behind if you broke the "intended" sequence of the level, which is a cool sign that you did a skip or something.

As for Colorless Demons Souls, yeah they're kinda really annoying to get! At least you can always make the worlds Black (because you can farm infinite stones to become human), so if you miss one due to tendency being shaky*, it's nbd - white world tendency is permanently missable. You also get a few CDS from crow trades and a sidequest which is its own can of worms, and one you find. Total of 10, then it's NG+ time if you want to upgrade more stuff.

*killing a Primeval demon and/or a named black phantom pushes the world way towards white. Meaning that e.g. in Boletaria, the pure black event spawns red!Miralda in 1-1, but the Primeval Demon is in 1-3, so if you kill her because she's right there, and then warp to the demon, whoops you got the world to neutral with the first action! You gotta do the run by foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Also hi I've never posted in this particular Souls thread, I finally got a PS5 this year and could finish DeS and it owns. I also got a beefy computer now so I can play the original without any hitches if I want. The game is weird but super cool. I annoyed my wife half to death with Dark Souls talk but she thought DeS remake looked so good and had such great atmosphere that she wanted to watch me play it, and she's even along for a second playthrough as a mage. That's a quality game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Yeah I think 30 Vit is good for NG, you can always bump it up if you start to swim in souls come NG+. Disclaimer: haven't done NG+ myself, but what I've heard of it is that the difficulty jumps a lot, so it might be that 30 or 40 Vit don't really matter, you'll just have to always dodge the biggest fuckers or die regardless. However, even for NG, some stuff will two-shot you no matter how big your bar is, so just manage your expectations - it's a dodge/block/outright avoid game.

Bows are super strong in DeS (if you get around the lovely targeting), so yeah you can just keep upgrading! There's even a special boss bow that for once isn't awful (many boss weapons sadly are), if you want that just stop upgrading the Bow at +7 before you get the ability to make boss weapons. Your stat spread looks like you're not much invested in physical stats, so - even better! Said boss bow doesn't scale.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

First try Flamelurker on a melee build is impressive, great job!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

There is no issue. Use what suits you. The Mirdan Hammer has a notably bad one-handed moveset, by the way; if you don't two-hand it, it's awful.

With a +4 fire weapon, you'll find yourself having a much easier time in world 5 now!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Killing the Executioner will put your world back to neutral (+3 dark from white), beware!

Also yeah the upgrade materials are per world, so you need to go to a specific one to find stuff for your build. Same for weapons and spells you find here but not there. This at least ensures that every build will have an easier time in some worlds while being incentivized to tackle another one sooner, and it's different for every build.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

That's an oof, but it's also very typical for the way DeS can gently caress you over largely through making you play rashly.

You missed meeting an NPC in the swamp who would give you a ring you can get through other means, you could also have killed her for her armor set. To get her to give you the ring, you would have had to reload the final area anyway, sooo

Also there's a faith spear in 5-1 gated behind white tendency which might be a bit of a loss, but it's fine - your mace works, after all.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Phenotype posted:

Didn't get to finish up til tonight, just had to go back through Latria to finally free that poor guy that's been yelling for help the entire game he thanked me and gave me a ring and said now he'd just die in peace, which... well, I coulda just stabbed him through the bars if that's what he wanted.
I think he is already way dead, but his soul is trapped behind the bars either through magic or because the closed door, like, psychologically keeps him there. Could also be that if you killed him through the bars, he'd just respawn there because some dick made his nexus point there.

Sorry about your issues with Ostrava. He seems to break really easily. What you could do to see what you missed is go in NG+, immediately kill him, and take the key off his corpse!

It was great seeing you progress, thank you for sharing your experiences :)

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sadly, it's not striking damage, it's magic you need.

Or piercing

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Smol posted:

The Sage Freke and the other dude on the other side of the nexus won’t be talk to me – I’d guess because I’m not a magic user. But let’s see if they change their minds at some point.
You need 10 (iirc) Int or they think you're a moron

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Who thinks the run is okay, show me them so I can lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Magic in DeS is ludicrously busted, if you can't just delete enemies they can be a huge problem. Garl Vinland is absolutely a mountain of HP and seems unapproachable at first, big part of the boss design is definitely that you can also just take out the maiden first. The guides you found weren't written by people bad at the game, they just didn't add "or if you're a mage, just cast Firestorm" for every boss tactic

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DeS has really, really good bows and also strongly encourages you to use them. The way to deal with those guys without magic is using a bow to draw them one by one, lead them to a solitary island where you can in fact roll, and kill them there. It's still super hard and risky, but at least it's optional. Killing them with arrows alone isn't gonna work probably, though there is actually a sniper spot.

You could also look into making the Lava Bow, which is absolutely excellent and "just" requires a Bow +7.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I honestly think the Crescent Falchion (+1!) being so easily accessible, and so early, is a major design flaw of the game. Almost every build can use it, and it's so insanely good against some enemies including problem bosses (Flamelurker) that your basic bitch "oh I upgraded my Bastard Sword to +3" build is just never going to want to use its actual main weapon there.

It really sticks out compared to the Crushing Battle Axe (great for the Str build to have something early, and to show off that upgradr path, but not the best base weapon), the Blessed Mace (free regen for everyone!), and the Mercury Rapier (lol, but I HAVE used it in Stonefang to have sth piercing...ofc the Falchion is better there too). Were it Moon, it would make a lot more sense - less of the super powerful magic damage, and no regen so the casters would have to actually build up to a weapon that features that, or compromise with a physical weapon they enchant.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

skasion posted:

The upgrade system in this game is so busted and unreasonable that I don’t mind there being crutch weapons like crescent falchion, dragon longsword, etc. sometimes that’s what it takes to get a character off the ground. And purists can always ignore them
I don't mind anything but the Falchion for this reason - it's simply boring how optimal it is for such a long time

Dirk the Average posted:

Also it's worth noting that it's in the arguably most difficult level, and is kind of meant to be a more "late-game" item, even though it's pretty straightforward to get if you know where it is and are willing to persist enough to pick it up.
Yeah, one thing I forgot to mention is that they probably meant for the black skeleton to be a huge deterrent. It is! Unless you know of the concept of a suicide run lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

you can just not get it sir
That is entirely missing the point of my post. I think the game itself would be better if it was a Moon Falchion +1 instead and Crescent were the secret super upgrade path, not that the game would be better for me specifically.

ok

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna try to make a Lava Bow build work
That's easy mode. Bows are sick in DeS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Welcome to Souls games!

If you made it out of the intro, you've done pretty well for yourself already, good job!

There is no need to bang your head against a wall. You unlocked all the archstones for a reason - poke around in them and see where you can make progress. If you find some enemies that barely take any damage, try a different weapon! Experiment, explore, find your small victories and turn them into lasting success. Good luck and don't give up!