Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Was watching a stream of the original PS3 version of Demon's Souls yesterday, and they brought up that the trophies for the remake have been posted.

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/11792-demons-souls

The 'defeat this boss' and 'collect all items in this category' entries are still present, but the 'best weapon by <type>stone' ones are gone. Instead, there's a bunch of new ones for doing specific actions:

Return to Form - Help a player vanquish a boss (Silver)
Unwelcome Guest - Vanquish a player as an invader (Silver)
One Shall Fall - Vanquish the Tower Knight without killing any archers (Silver
Brother-in-Arms - Vanquish Penetrator with Biorr (Bronze)
Fists of Legend - Vanquish Dragon God with the Hands of God (Bronze)
Time for Rolling - Cross the walkway through the Idol's volleys of arrows :gonk: (Silver)
Not Fooled - Vanquish the Fool's Idol without hitting any clones (Silver)
One Shall Stand - Vanquish Adjudicator without having him fall down (Silver)
May you be unharmed - Vanquish Maiden Astraea without killing Garl Vinland (Silver)
A Dash of Sage - Rescue Sage Freke the Visionary (Bronze)
Umbasa - Rescue Saint Urbain (Bronze)
Worthy of the Sword - Deliver Makoto to Satsuki (Silver)
Road to Possibilities - Give the Searing Demon Souls to Blacksmith Ed (Bronze)
One of the few - Obtain Istarelle (Silver)
Witch in the Tower - Rescue Yuria the Witch (Bronze)
Legacy of the Kings - Obtain the Northern Regalia (Gold)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Azran posted:

The Northern Regalia one is going to be the hardest one if they fixed Old King Doran's AI.

As someone who screwed up the Old King Doran exploit, it shouldn't be too hard if the Blueblood sword still lets you wail on enemies and stunlock them. I think that's how I beat him (I know it's how I beat Black Phantom Scirvir).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 11, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Mew_AoC/status/1326587376236437506

On one hand, the faces look better (in that they have more detail), but the actual faces have been changed, which is off-putting.

There was a one-off tweet that I saw in response to the new character creator that said something along the lines of, "It's not a Souls game unless my created character looks like a potato."

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 12, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

LobosJr is playing Demon's Souls remake right now: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

After seeing people stream this yesterday, I'm not as gung-ho to get a PS5 and play it ASAP. I think I'm gonna wait until later down the road (plus, I still need to finish Dark Souls 3).

The visual changes just irk me. Like, yeah, on a technical level, it's really impressive, but they deviated so heavily from the original. Like, Stonefang Tunnel now just looks like a big, bright, bleached desert during the brightest part of the day. In the original, you were in a canyon or mountain range, and the lighting made it look like it was at sunset, with red hues and shadows being cast.

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/IronPineapple_/status/1327198472370589696

Out of all of the changes Bluepoint made this is the worst one. <:mad:>

Trash remake. 0/10. Not worth buying a PS5 at launch.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/VaatiVidya/status/1327688681029660672

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I finally managed to get ahold of a PS5 and I picked up the Demon's Souls remake today.

Regrettably, I was not able to beat the Vanguard Demon during the tutorial yet again. However, I made it through the first section of Boletarian Palace without a single death. So far, the majority of my deaths have been from trying to drop down and get that item on the ledge in the Nexus.

I was (and still am) one of those people who took umbrage with some of the stylistic changes they took with the art design in the remake (which I know must annoy some people). I only recall a few things I saw from when the game first came out (Vanguard Demon, Stonefang Tunnel) that I instantly disliked. For the most part, though, the game looks really nice. So far, where I think it falters is with NPC (and maybe PCs as well), because they...just don't look right. On a technical level, they look impressive, but there's an uncanny valley quality to them, I think because of the eyes. On the other hand, it could be that I'm just not used to seeing characters in Souls game who have animated faces who aren't named Andre.

Running through the first section of Boletarian Palace, something I took note of was that the sounds for killing Dreglings and Soliders are uh...a bit more grisly then they were in the original. I can't think of how to describe it exactly, but the sounds in the original I remember being more...I dunno, exaggerated?

As far as actual complaints go, the message system here is sort of frustrating to use, because word choice is dependent on the style of message you pick, and you don't have the same kind of flexibility as you do in previous Souls games. For example, I wanted to leave a message that said, 'be wary of duo' to warn about a pair of enemies ahead, but I couldn't find a message style that conveyed that.

I also couldn't tell if it registered World Tendency or not. I got a year of PSPlus when I got the PS5, so I'm able to play online, which I know affects World Tendency, but the issue in the original was that it was hard to tell if a world was tending towards one or the other if it was only a slight change.

Otherwise the game seems pretty solid, and the framerate makes it play a lot smoother than the original.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 31, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

skasion posted:

The World Tendency interface is slightly easier to read in the remake, imo. Also World Tendency does not change based on the server average in the remake.

Oh, that's good to know. Well, it's sort of good to know. If it functions like it did in the original game, it means that in order to get PWWT, you would probably have to play each world in soul form until you beat a boss, at which point you go back to the Nexus and die, so you don't risk losing progress if you die.

Also, by checking online, the mistake I was making was looking at the Archstone, and not the little eye underneath, which is where the World Tendency is denoted.

I was going to say that it was odd that they added the broken Archstone to the screen, but I guess the original did that too.

-

You know, that's something that actually irked me a bit about the remake: why not reincorporate in the sixth Archstone? I remember seeing something said by the devs that they didn't want to try to mimic From's design on their own, but there was a good amount of unused content on the disc for the original game that was intended for the sixth Archstone. I thought maybe they'd make a DLC (maybe with From's input or guidance) but now that we're two years out from the remake's release, I don't see that happening.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 31, 2022

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Magus42 posted:

Yep that's still a thing :)

Is there no other way to raise World Tendency? I can't remember the exact details from when I did my platinum run, but it seemed like you had very little room for error, where if you died too many times in human form, you'd have to wait until the NG+ cycle to try for PWWT.

Additionally, did they make any tweaks to Crystal Lizards or drop rates? In the original, if a Crystal Lizard ran away before you could kill them, they wouldn't come back, but another one would spawn after beating a boss. I also recall having to farm one of the skeletons in Shrine of Storm over and over for like an hour before a Pure Bladestone dropped.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

akkristor posted:

yeah, but i think the Demon's Souls wikidot is still based on the PS3 version.

Yeah, it doesn't look like it features any info on the PS5 remake.

The issue with fighting Black Phantoms is I guess that it's dependent on who you get matched with, because (since I think you have to be human for PvP/PvE to occur) so if you die fighting them, it goes toward Black, but I guess that's the gamble you take.

When I did my 100% run for the PS3 version, online servers had been shut down by that point, so I had to route it out in such a way where I could do it all without having to roll over to NG+2. I beat each boss in soul form, returned to Nexus to take a leap from up high to die and get back into soul form. Once I had run through an entire Archstone and it was in PWWT, I'd run through and collect all the appropriate stuff, then fight the NPC Black Phantom, which I think would set World Tendency back to Neutral. From there, I'd die in human form enough times to get to PBWT, and then I'd do everything needed for that.

The good news is that it looks like there aren't trophies for getting all the upgrades, which potentially eliminates a lot of grinding if they didn't fix some of the drop rates. There do seem to be some intimidating trophies, though, like rolling past the arrows in Tower of Latria, or beating the Tower Knight without eliminating the archers.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

skasion posted:

All spells and all miracles are the biggest hassle to get, multiple NG+ required. All rings is also kind of annoying.

Rolling the arrows is one of those things where you’re gonna have to die a few times just trying it, but it’s not that hard once you’ve learned the rhythm.

No archer tower knight is easy for sorcerers since you can just soul ray him in the head repeatedly. But nasty if you can’t.

No clone fools idol is kind of tricky, if you never kill off any clones then you can get embarrassed by the combined fire.

But yeah not a hard game to plat. Certainly compared to the original

Oh yeah, I remember that getting all rings requires you to do Mephistopheles' quests, and that tied in with having PBCT or something.

Might have to go for the Tower Knight trophy on a different character, since I went with Soldier for my starting class. I could put points into magic, but it wouldn't be as optimal as an actual spellcaster build.

-

Something I forgot to ask about in my previous post: did Demon's Souls not have plunging attacks? I tried doing a plunging attack at one point, but nothing happened. I'm trying to remember other mechanical oddities from the PS3 original, and I'm wondering if they made it so you move faster on ladders.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

i hosed up the mephistopheles quest three times in three different ways

Yeah, you really have to route things out. I printed out a whole guide and crossed things out as I did them so as not to lose track. Dunno if I still have it, though it was pretty much copy-pasted from the Demon's Souls Wikidot.

-

I might have actually blown my aim for PWWT, because I thought I'd be fine going through 1-2, but the dogs killed me while I was in human form. I went with Solider as my class, since I went with Royal in my original PS3 run, and I didn't want to cheese it as much this time around. However, I think I'm actually a little underpowered. I managed to make it to the other end of 1-2, but I got killed by the knights, which makes me think I need to either get some more levels or some better gear (I've only got head and arm regions equipped, otherwise, I have the fat roll). I need to gather up some souls to do weapon upgrades, but I don't know whether to do that in Boletaria or one of the other worlds.

I'm also not sure what weapon to go with. In my original run, I think I settled on the Miridian Hammer by the end, and during my platinum run, I took to using the Blueblood Sword (since two-handing it could really stunlock enemies well, and I needed it to beat one of the BP NPCs).

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The other day I ran through 2-1 without a single death, and beat the Armor Spider. Today while I had free time at work, I was watching a playthrough of the original, and I got clued in to a couple of things to do/try to make things easier (returning to 1-2 to save Ostrava again, and getting the Crescent Falchion in 4-1).

I didn't make a huge amount of progress, though. I made to the Tower Knight fight, but died to Tower Knight after dispatching all the crossbowmen. The other majority of my deaths came from trying to dispatch Vanguard Demon in 4-1. In both cases, I tried dodging past/around their attacks, but they would always connect. In the case of Vanguard, I did a search, and found a video that said just to stay behind him (as I think someone said in one of the old Souls threads, 'hug his butt'). After running through 4-1 umpteen times and finally defeating Vanguard with that tactic, I came away with 14k souls, which I spent on leveling up. (At Level 23 now)

Dunno what to tackle next. I though about trying to fight Tower Knight again, then move on to 2-2 and do Flamelurker and Dragon God. Alternatively, after Tower Knight, I thought about going through Tower of Latria 1-1 and beating False Idol, then Valley of Defilement 1-1 (so as to do all the X-1 areas in order to gain some more items and levels before tackling the X-2 areas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Beat Black Phantom Selen Vinland! I figured if I hosed up the White Tendency stuff in world 5 that I oughta at least do the Black Tendency stuff. Man, that was definitely the toughest fight in the game so far, took too many deaths when my character suddenly refused to move because his toe was touching the sludge. Took about a dozen tries, infuriatingly dragged out because she'd heal back to full, and because the run back is such a long slog through the swamp (with the bonus of maybe the giant red depraved spots you and ruins the run). I kept trying to shoot her with a bow to knock her out of her heals, but the trick was just to chase her down through the swamp when she got low -- she kept backing off and trying to heal even when I had her pinned against a wall. Then I ran down to get the Primeval Demon too, so my swamps are white-ish again and my Adjudicator Shield is +3.

I can't imagine having to play this game cold when it first released -- world 5 at least looks significantly more difficult at Pure Black, lots of giant red depraved running around, which kill me in one hit at 28 Vigor and level 60ish. I'm just thinking about all the players who die a few times, maybe use their Stones for more health cause they're struggling, and end up with the most rear end in a top hat version of the level.

The remake actually adds in a ring (Sodden Ring) that allows you to move freely in the swamp, similar to the Rusted Iron Ring in DS1. You can find it in the swamp down in 3-2 in PBWT. Props to you for pulling it off without the ring, because while you can't dodge in the swamp, she can. I can't remember if I beat Selen with the Sodden Ring or not; all I remember is that I used the Crescent Falchion, because you can stunlock her (and a few other human enemies) pretty well with it, and if you time your attacks properly, you can attack when she tries to heal to interrupt.

It's been a few months now since I 100% Demon's Souls Remake, but I think if you kill the Black Phantom and the Primeval Demon in one go, then it shoots up to PWWT, or at least very close to it. Something to take note of is that if you die (in soul form), it won't alter the World Tendency when you spawn back in. World Tendency changes only occur once you warp back to the Nexus or another part of the world, so if you died between fighting the BP or killing the Primeval Demon, one or the other should be still be there.