Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I'm playing the PS3 version and I very much wish there was cross platform :(:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I climbed down into that body pit and picked up that brushwood armor only to find out I was already at the item bag carry cap and I didn't have the ring of carrying strength and also I'm playing on PS3 fuuuuuck

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Dark Souls' focus on bosses and combat was a mistake. It worked out for DS1, but honestly can't think of interesting environments in DS2 or 3. In fact I remember DS2 having incredibly bland environments. DS3 has really good graphics and uh... That ugly swamp that was kinda interesting. But, yeah, otherwise its just pretty corridors and enemies.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Aidan_702 posted:

melodic farting

Essentially the charm of the original Demons tbh

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

KingSlime posted:

Man I forgot every single world is literally just two levels with Boletaria being the only exception. About to beat the game and yeah there's a reason I had zero desire to replay this one after I first beat it, at least until this re-release. It hepled paved the way for so many things and I can see what they were trying to go for, but it's still easily the worst souls game. The bosses were especially awful, they're all lame gimmicks in the second half.

As a mega souls nerd, I guess this is what happens when you don't replay just DeS and spend years replaying every other entry like sixty times. I had forgotten about all the awful bits!

I did enjoy the two or so real stages you get in each world but everything else kinda sucked. It probably blew my mind back in college because it was so old school" in an era of hand-holding and brown everywhere. I'm ready to dive back into DS2 or DS3 after this to wash out the taste in my mouth lol. I loved the visuals and thematically DeS is a really interesting game with a great theme (better than DS1/DS2 in this regard) but I think I'm good on demon souls for the rest of my natural life.

What exactly about 2 intricately winding but different stages in 4 different worlds is bad? Are you upset about the amount of content or...?

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Demons Souls is the only Souls game to have good level design.

Also I just died to lady Astrea because I tried to melee her and she WoGed me.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I usually take off my shield for boss fights.

I think going over 50% is viable even for bosses if you have a heavy shield.

Don't be scared when you fight a boss. Take your time and find opennings. Take advantage when you can.

When you are having a hard time run through your furthest level of Boletaria a few times to farm grass.

Um .. yeah.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Sydin posted:

So I'm replaying Dark Souls 3, and while I do think it's a more enjoyable game than most give it credit for, I just finished Irithyll Dungeon which is very clearly trying to be a re-imagining of the Prison of Hope and it's like a perfect case study in how the later games completely failed to capture the spirit of Demon's Souls, even when they are very clearly trying to do so. It has none of the oppressive atmosphere, none of the lighting, none of the disorienting architecture, and none of the environmental storytelling of its DeS counterpart. The prison guards aren't scary because the corridors are wide enough you can just blitz right past them - the fear that DeS instills via atmosphere is now replaced with jump scares, and most importantly it's over in maybe five minutes? Even if 3-1 isn't that large in the grand scale, it feels big because it makes you zig-zag all over the prison to make progress and intentionally tries to disorient the player. When you get to the second section of the prison, all the designers could think to do to up the ante was put like eight loving prison guards together in a line that circles the center of the area. It is such a lazy and thoughtless homage that I wish they'd just focused their energies on making a new area instead.

This is exactly my thoughts. I remember when Metal Gear Solid 2 came out I was stoked. It was bigger and more exciting in every way. But thematically the game was all about "lol we retreading this action movie motif *again*?". That's exactly how I've felt about DaS since, like, DaS. I think there was a little bit more gas in the tank with DaS1, but by the time it's DaS3 it's just... more of everything again. I think because the longterm DaS3 players are the PvPers that's why we get really, really expansive mechanics, but yeah, it's just m0r3 g4m3. That's not to say those games are bad (ok some/lots of the level design is bad), but it's like... very refreshing to see the original hold up so well in the face of it all even if it's... a remake.

I have high hopes for Elden Ring changing things up. I wonder what lessons they learned from Bloodborne and Sekiro. Part of me also hopes Elden Ring will be a next gen exclusive game with really vast open fields. Idk if it's because I'm such a fan of FROM, but when I heard Cerny's PS5 tech explanation I couldn't help but think about how the SSD would make the next FROM games sick as hell.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Idk what you guys are taking about the 1-4 dragon is way, way easier to deal with than 1-2 or even 1-1 dragon.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Demons more than any other Souls game encourages you to have weapons for different occasions. I guess that's less important for your second run, but... yeah... it's still one of my favorite parts of the game.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

bows1 posted:

I've beaten archstone, 2 and 5, Im on 1-4, 3-3, and 4-2

I want to just beat the game and start a fresh character and do like a 100% run. I want a fast moving fun character. Should i do Dex + faith or something? Fun+Fast is my goal after doing a Meat Cleaver run.

help me out here!

IDK about everyone else, but my Crescent Falchion "Pyromancer" build was pretty fast and fun. You rush to get the 4-1 Crescent Falchion. You don't need to invest much (if any at all) to use it to crush most of the x-1 levels and many of the x-2 levels, so you're free to invest into Vit until you're not too squishy to get Mag/Faith/Int. Then you just invest in Mag for Damage, Faith for more slots for Egress or Second Chance, and Int for more slots for Firestorm/Homing Soul Arrow.,

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Am I the only one that pretty much ignores endurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

The 4-1 crescent weapon clowns on 99% of the game