Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So I mentioned earlier that there was a pair of scenes that run parallel to one another if you're playing Shared Story online and this is that pair. Online, one player will control Brad while the other controls Fliss and when Brad jumps down to the lower level, the scenes converge. I'm not sure if your time as Brad reflects how much time you have as Fliss though. But these 2 scenes are the best examples of the timer effectively being another player.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
And it was mainly that section that had me thinking about the thing I briefly mentioned at the end there. I'll tell you ahead of time that I've abandoned that line of thinking and I will explain in a little more detail in a future video, but the short of it was I thought I could look at timed sections as a cue to guide me to making better decisions.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
By the way, you guys should start thinking about how you want me to approach the Curator's Cut. What you want to see out of it and all that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Next episode is the conclusion to the story, but we'll be exploring a little bit more beyond that for a couple episodes.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So a bit of clarification about the pictures. Black framed ones show a character dying or a scene where one of them could die. The white framed ones don't necessarily show good things. Rather, they show either a good choice to make or a dangerous situation. At least that's how the wiki describes them.

Anyway, I hope you keep going with these and play Little Hope next. I think it might be more your style as there aren't any timed scenes and you can get every secret in one playthrough. Looking forward to seeing this through. Keep up the great work.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I think that's where I finally settled on how the frames are meant to be taken, which does feel somewhat weird to me. I wonder what thoughts you guys have on the pictures system though.

I have Little Hope and I do plan to tackling it at some point, but I'm not sure yet if it will be the Halloween game this year or not. Meaning it might be a little bit later than that, in favor of a different game.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

We've reached the end of the Theatrical Cut, and have now unlocked the Curator's Cut. Rather than show off a full playthrough of that, though, I'm planning on showing "highlights" which would be more significant differences, getting the remaining collectables, and seeing just how badly I can make this run go.

Probably going to have a break of a couple weeks or so for that while I get everything taken care of.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Good job on those keep calm segments. They can be kinda tough. One of the improvements that they made for Little Hope was the game gives you a heads up when one of those is coming. Of course, they balance it by having the button you press change during it but it's not as tough as it sounds. As always, keep up the good work and see you in the Curator's Cut.

Speaking of the Curator's Cut, that picture that you think is a glitch for not showing up as a secret isn't actually a glitch. You can only get it in the Curator's Cut and the reason why will make sense when you see it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey. Things took a bit longer than originally expected (what else is new), but I'm done with the game and will be posting some Curator's Cut highlights now.

BUT, as we finally approach the finish line for this LP, I have an important question for anyone that's around. I went into this and Until Dawn with the intention of being quite thorough and doing some "clean-up" at certain points in the games to make sure I had all the available secrets and to make sure I knew what was going on, and whatnot.

Now, as we look to Little Hope, I'm wondering if you would be interested in things being handled differently. Just going through the game without going back for things I missed and just seeing what I put together based on what I find during the first playthrough, then going for something more thorough with the Curator's Cut.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Alright, here's the dead with Little Hope. Unlike Man of Medan, you actually can get every collectable in a single playthrough (in the Curator's Cut in that game, it's actually impossible to get everything because you'll miss the very first one). In fact, you'll only get the final one if you've gotten all the others over the course of a single playthrough. Man of Medan's Curator Cut does have quite a few scenes that are exclusive to it and although you know what's going on now, you'll fill out all the little missing bits and bring it all together. Little Hope doesn't really have that. There aren't any exclusive scenes so the only differences will be choices made. So in that respect, you'll have an easier time with it. I hope this doesn't make Little Hope sound unappealing because it's still enjoyable, just in a different way that Man of Medan.

Anyway, I love watching these and how you handle everything. The thought process that goes into decisions is great. So definitely keep it up as we move on to Little Hope. And while that's going on, the next game in this little anthology is due out soon. Oh, and the Curator is indeed hiding in this video. He's a little blurry but he's definitely there.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Alright, here's the dead with Little Hope. Unlike Man of Medan, you actually can get every collectable in a single playthrough (in the Curator's Cut in that game, it's actually impossible to get everything because you'll miss the very first one). In fact, you'll only get the final one if you've gotten all the others over the course of a single playthrough. Man of Medan's Curator Cut does have quite a few scenes that are exclusive to it and although you know what's going on now, you'll fill out all the little missing bits and bring it all together. Little Hope doesn't really have that. There aren't any exclusive scenes so the only differences will be choices made. So in that respect, you'll have an easier time with it. I hope this doesn't make Little Hope sound unappealing because it's still enjoyable, just in a different way that Man of Medan.

Would you feel that a Curator's Cut for Little Hope isn't necessary then? Or maybe doing that differently compared to how I've done it for this game?

For this game, Shared Story was essentially both the Theatrical and Curator's Cuts being played at the same time. Is this still the case for Little Hope?

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
You could maybe do a highlight video of the Curator Cut for Little Hope. Honestly, the biggest differences you'll see in it happen in the Prologue and the first chapter as they're the only ones with significant differences. Otherwise, you could just show other outcomes of events or something similar. I don't know how Shared Story compares between the two since I've only played single player but I'd imagine it's the same as Man of Medan.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

One more video where we'll just be wrapping up getting the last few secrets and showing a couple more alternate stuff, and this will be done. I'll likely be posting that later this week.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So that scene with Brad does indeed occur because he didn't stay hidden on the Duke. And because Conrad escaped at the start, you ended up missing a few scenes that he would've been a part of. Like that quick scene of Fliss before it shifted back to Alex and Julia would've been Fliss's POV of the scene where Conrad is seeing the glamour girl ghost. I believe that's also where the final few secrets are as well. Anyway, keep up the good work as always.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, we'll be seeing the Glamour Girl (Curator's Cut Perspective) in the final video, and a couple other different scenes as well.

There's more significant differences, based on decisions, than I initially expected, but that just made me want even more of them. As for more minor differences, there really are way more of those than I realized, where character dialogue will change based on unlocked traits and relationships. Like, it seemed like I had no control over Julia drinking the beer, but it was because her relationship with Alex wasn't very good that she chose to ignore him. Things like that.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

That does it for Man of Medan (finally). I'm really sorry that there ended up being so many breaks along the way, but I'm really hoping that the rough patches are behind me for the time being, and the next LPs I do will go a lot more smoothly. I've already got some work done on my October plans and should have at least one of those playthroughs starting sooner rather than later.

I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this playthrough, as a whole, since I am intending on doing Little Hope next, which is the next game in the series. So if there's anything I could do differently/better, now's the time to speak up about it.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 1, 2021

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Since you mentioned it in the video about whether players were meant to communicate with each other on a shared playthrough, it got me wondering if Supermassive was trying to implement something from another one of their games. See, between Until Dawn and this, they released a game called Hidden Agenda. The gimmick was that it was a thriller/mystery detective style story meant to be played by multiple people. And it had a companion app or something along those lines where one of the players would get a hidden objective and attempt to disrupt the other players. So now I'm wondering if they were trying to replicate that on some level. I doubt it but you never know. Interesting side note about that as well, not all of the character models are modeled after their voice actors. In fact, only Conrad is modeled after his voice actor, the others are all reused from both Hidden Agenda and The Inpatient, that VR prequel to Until Dawn.

The golden painting is a preview for Little Hope and guess what? Little Hope has one for House of Ashes. I'm sure that comes as no surprise. As for Little Hope itself, stick with the blind playthrough for the first go. I said this already buy you can get everything in one playthrough so there's no need for as much backtracking. Then you could do a highlight reel of the Curator's Cut of different choices, possible deaths and assorted odds and ends.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Maybe I missed it but why does the curator show up during the cutscenes? Was he just a signal for when a hallucination was happening?

I totally agree that Until Dawn had the better story. Better setup and better payoff. I would go as far as saying that Until Dawn was intended to be a horror movie homage and the story greatly benefitted from that. Especially, with the initial plot and especially especially with who portrayed the stranger. Also, I felt the butterfly effect was more clear on establishing cause and effect than Bearings. Not to say that Man of Medan was bad, I was just not as invested because of the story.

Regarding the LP, I like the occasional wrap-ups at the end of videos and I appreciated the "epilogue" episodes after the blind playthrough for any missed content or additional context/story explanations. Looking forward to the next one.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brutakas posted:

Maybe I missed it but why does the curator show up during the cutscenes? Was he just a signal for when a hallucination was happening?

From looking up information, he apparently shows up whenever the potential for a character death is coming up, because he's actually Death.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Oh, one more thing. I meant to ask if you were gonna show off the comic that unlocks when you collect all 50 secrets. It's a pretty neat thing that shows off what happened on the ship and how each secret ended up where you found them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Oh, one more thing. I meant to ask if you were gonna show off the comic that unlocks when you collect all 50 secrets. It's a pretty neat thing that shows off what happened on the ship and how each secret ended up where you found them.

I ultimately decided that it wouldn't really work to try and show it off in video, and it would be a great deal of work to assemble all the pages as screenshots.

It is neat how as you go through the pages, it shows you which secrets are where, and it does lay out how the incident took place in a way that's clear to understand, but it didn't really add anything more to the playthrough that wasn't already pretty well understood by this point.

If anybody DOES want to check it out, I believe this video covers them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFF59ipMrW4