Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I've been looking forward to this ever since the tease at the end of Until Dawn. Funny that you mentioned Little Hope in the video, that actually released today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Since you speculated about it in the video, you are indeed correct that there are some secrets that can only be found in the Curator's Cut, so you're not gonna find everything in one go.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

Jamesman posted:

The way I look at it, I believe it's actually something that was implemented for the sake of multiplayer, but ended up affecting a single player experience as well. In order to prevent one player from "wasting" a great deal of time looking around for every clue they can find while the others stand around waiting for the next trigger, the timer is there to keep things moving for the sake of all players, be it online co-op of Movie Night. It's just unfortunately something that was kept in for a solo play experience and I feel the game suffers for it.

So I did a little digging and it looks like you're partially correct. The "invisible timer" acts like another player for scenes that occur at the same time. I know there is a set of scenes coming up that has this gimmick going on. In the online Shared Story, one player plays one scene while another plays the other. And once one of the players does a certain action, the scenes converge. Now, since you're playing solo, you'll see both of these scenes and how long you take in 1 may determine how long you have in the other, although I'm not sure about that.

The part where you ended the previous video is where the game opens up a bit more. I don't think it's a spoiler to say that the group is gonna split up. And if it makes you feel any better, you haven't missed any secrets yet. There are only 6 that are in the Curator's Cut only and now that you're on the ship, they're gonna be coming much more frequently.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
You're overthinking the picture frames. They're either black or white. Alright, there is one special one you can find but you'll know it if you find it. As for the Curator appearing in the background, he appears quite a few times throughout the story so if you've got sharp eyes, you'll see him again.

In comparison to Until Dawn, while this game is definitely shorter, it has a much greater variety of changes that can happen based on character actions. Plus, with the Curator's Cut, it's made to be played through multiple times.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I would say keep going with the blind play through and then do a second one of the Curator Cut. Things will probably play out differently and there are some scenes exclusive to it. You could compare and contrast what happens between the 2 since the game the game more or less acknowledges that you'll know what's coming. And there are a few secrets that can only be found there too. To give you a bit of incentive, when you find all the secrets you unlock an in game comic that shows you how each secret ended up where you found it. Hope that helps.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Don't feel bad about Vent Monster getting you. I think it gets everyone the first time through. I know it got me good the first time. Every time afterwards? You'll laugh when you find it but that first time? It's a cheap jump scare but goddamn is it effective.

And you are indeed correct that the clipboard would still be sitting up on the catwalk if you didn't try and pick it up the first time. It's not a secret or anything, just a bit of flavor text so it doesn't matter where it ends up.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So I mentioned earlier that there was a pair of scenes that run parallel to one another if you're playing Shared Story online and this is that pair. Online, one player will control Brad while the other controls Fliss and when Brad jumps down to the lower level, the scenes converge. I'm not sure if your time as Brad reflects how much time you have as Fliss though. But these 2 scenes are the best examples of the timer effectively being another player.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So a bit of clarification about the pictures. Black framed ones show a character dying or a scene where one of them could die. The white framed ones don't necessarily show good things. Rather, they show either a good choice to make or a dangerous situation. At least that's how the wiki describes them.

Anyway, I hope you keep going with these and play Little Hope next. I think it might be more your style as there aren't any timed scenes and you can get every secret in one playthrough. Looking forward to seeing this through. Keep up the great work.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Good job on those keep calm segments. They can be kinda tough. One of the improvements that they made for Little Hope was the game gives you a heads up when one of those is coming. Of course, they balance it by having the button you press change during it but it's not as tough as it sounds. As always, keep up the good work and see you in the Curator's Cut.

Speaking of the Curator's Cut, that picture that you think is a glitch for not showing up as a secret isn't actually a glitch. You can only get it in the Curator's Cut and the reason why will make sense when you see it.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Alright, here's the dead with Little Hope. Unlike Man of Medan, you actually can get every collectable in a single playthrough (in the Curator's Cut in that game, it's actually impossible to get everything because you'll miss the very first one). In fact, you'll only get the final one if you've gotten all the others over the course of a single playthrough. Man of Medan's Curator Cut does have quite a few scenes that are exclusive to it and although you know what's going on now, you'll fill out all the little missing bits and bring it all together. Little Hope doesn't really have that. There aren't any exclusive scenes so the only differences will be choices made. So in that respect, you'll have an easier time with it. I hope this doesn't make Little Hope sound unappealing because it's still enjoyable, just in a different way that Man of Medan.

Anyway, I love watching these and how you handle everything. The thought process that goes into decisions is great. So definitely keep it up as we move on to Little Hope. And while that's going on, the next game in this little anthology is due out soon. Oh, and the Curator is indeed hiding in this video. He's a little blurry but he's definitely there.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
You could maybe do a highlight video of the Curator Cut for Little Hope. Honestly, the biggest differences you'll see in it happen in the Prologue and the first chapter as they're the only ones with significant differences. Otherwise, you could just show other outcomes of events or something similar. I don't know how Shared Story compares between the two since I've only played single player but I'd imagine it's the same as Man of Medan.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
So that scene with Brad does indeed occur because he didn't stay hidden on the Duke. And because Conrad escaped at the start, you ended up missing a few scenes that he would've been a part of. Like that quick scene of Fliss before it shifted back to Alex and Julia would've been Fliss's POV of the scene where Conrad is seeing the glamour girl ghost. I believe that's also where the final few secrets are as well. Anyway, keep up the good work as always.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Since you mentioned it in the video about whether players were meant to communicate with each other on a shared playthrough, it got me wondering if Supermassive was trying to implement something from another one of their games. See, between Until Dawn and this, they released a game called Hidden Agenda. The gimmick was that it was a thriller/mystery detective style story meant to be played by multiple people. And it had a companion app or something along those lines where one of the players would get a hidden objective and attempt to disrupt the other players. So now I'm wondering if they were trying to replicate that on some level. I doubt it but you never know. Interesting side note about that as well, not all of the character models are modeled after their voice actors. In fact, only Conrad is modeled after his voice actor, the others are all reused from both Hidden Agenda and The Inpatient, that VR prequel to Until Dawn.

The golden painting is a preview for Little Hope and guess what? Little Hope has one for House of Ashes. I'm sure that comes as no surprise. As for Little Hope itself, stick with the blind playthrough for the first go. I said this already buy you can get everything in one playthrough so there's no need for as much backtracking. Then you could do a highlight reel of the Curator's Cut of different choices, possible deaths and assorted odds and ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
Oh, one more thing. I meant to ask if you were gonna show off the comic that unlocks when you collect all 50 secrets. It's a pretty neat thing that shows off what happened on the ship and how each secret ended up where you found them.