Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Twin Cinema posted:

I watched "One Sings..." last night, and I am in awe. Just a completely unique film -- it's unlike anything I have seen. It starts with suicide, poverty, and abortion, in a naturalistic way, but the film never feels overly heavy. Sure, the topics are heavy, but the film seems to not present anything as a conflict in the typical way. Instead, it's more of a meditation on the joyousness of friendship.
Wanted to echo this. The local arthouse ran a mini-season of Varda last year and I saw this, Cleo from 5 to 7 and Vagabond. The latter two are renowned as brilliant (and rightly so), but I really think One Sings... is as well. Who else would make a musical about the fight for reproductive health rights and pull it off?

Speaking of Vagabond, there was a great segment in Varda by Agnès where she explained how much thought went into the tracking shots that separate the vigenettes. The shots all move from right to left, opposite to reading direction, to make it like Mona is swimming against the current. Also there's a focal point at the end of one shot which then appears at the start of the next one to join up the journey.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3E99QTez40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU