Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

This guy definitely plays honkbal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

IcePhoenix posted:

I'd still err on the side of most of Cy Young's records

Yeah no one is ever going to beat 511 wins. Only 44 players in history have 511 starts, none of whom are currently active. Zack Greinke is the active leader with 459 starts.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah no one is ever going to beat 511 wins. Only 44 players in history have 511 starts, none of whom are currently active. Zack Greinke is the active leader with 459 starts.

But 22 years between appearances somehow seems more improbable.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kirios posted:

But 22 years between appearances somehow seems more improbable.

It would have to be something incredibly tragic, like the unquestioned #1 prospect out of HS getting drafted with expectations of a SUPER quick trip to the majors, a year or two of extreme minor-league hype (enough to build a RAVENOUS base, likely through absurd social media presence), followed by a horrific career-ending injury in his first game in the majors, and then the franchise brings him back 22.1 years later for a gimmick appearance at the end of a lost season.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

It would have to be something incredibly tragic, like the unquestioned #1 prospect out of HS getting drafted with expectations of a SUPER quick trip to the majors, a year or two of extreme minor-league hype (enough to build a RAVENOUS base, likely through absurd social media presence), followed by a horrific career-ending injury in his first game in the majors, and then the franchise brings him back 22.1 years later for a gimmick appearance at the end of a lost season.

Come on, Indians. You clearly don't give a poo poo. Sign Joe Charboneau.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I didn't think the single season hits record would ever be broken and then came Ichiro. The top 10 most hits seasons are Ichiro (twice), and a bunch of dudes from the 1900-30's.

Ichiro was loving awesome.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
TFW you just turned 18 a week ago.

https://twitter.com/FrankiesTwoLoud/status/1364459483859156992

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poque posted:

Someone will get to the mid-40s and have the bad luck to face the Yankees who will intentionally walk him every PA.

They'd have to record at least one out before doing that I think? I'm fairly sure you have to have an official AB for the streak to break, not just a PA

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse
Yessir
https://twitter.com/lindseyadler/status/1364659606534967303

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Available at Homage.
https://www.homage.com/products/me-and-the-boys-boppin

My wife showed it to me to see if I'd want it when they started selling them cause she thought it was oddly amusing. I immediately nerded out and pulled up that Dave Parker photo for her.

"Well, you can't pull it off that well, so no. I'm not getting it for you."

(Yes their shirts are too much, but they are really nice. As are their hoodies, sweats, etc. Hit their sales when you can.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Tony Phillips posted:

"Well, you can't pull it off that well, so no. I'm not getting it for you."

Being forbidden to wear any clothes I couldn’t pull off as well as Dave Parker would be a test I’d fail every single time.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
completely ridiculous parker isn’t in the hall of fame

do not care about stats, so don’t try to argue

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

GalacticAcid posted:

do not care about stats, so don’t try to argue

Neal Huntington account spotted?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

elentar posted:

Being forbidden to wear any clothes I couldn’t pull off as well as Dave Parker would be a test I’d fail every single time.

Surprised I'm let out of the house come to think of it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1364237770428981248

https://twitter.com/morsecode/status/1364659692245549068

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

No Safe Word posted:

Neal Huntington account spotted?

did neal not care about data? that is a new take lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

anyway now that you've enjoyed fun twins stuff, let me bring the mood crashing down

https://twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1364600654707249152

dude is gonna go three years without playing baseball

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
that’s terrible. hard to be optimistic but hope he bounces back somehow

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I think 315 losses is even more unassailable than 511 wins. As unlikely as it is, if a pitcher transcendant enough to win 25 games a year for 20 years came along, you know teams would have him out there as much as possible. It's much more difficult to envision a scenario for a guy who loses 15 games a year staying in the league for 20 years.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1364718970398511104

Those are uh, definitely pictures of Mancini and Felix all right.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Feel like you could take the best pitching seasons of the last 25 years, add the wins together and you’d still be way under 500. Just degrom alone pushes you down a ton for the seasons he adds.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

DiMaggio's streak will be broken by a TTO guy smashing a dinger in 57 straight games with no other hits.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/MLB/status/1364718970398511104

Those are uh, definitely pictures of Mancini and Felix all right.

I hope Bryant rediscovers his love for baseball soon. Kinda get the sense that it would have to happen by virtue of playing elsewhere though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Felix looks like he should be holding a newspaper with today's date rather than a baseball

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

uggy posted:

Feel like you could take the best pitching seasons of the last 25 years, add the wins together and you’d still be way under 500. Just degrom alone pushes you down a ton for the seasons he adds.

I looked it up and you're right. If a pitcher debuted in 1996 and tied the MLB leader in wins every year, he'd have 498 wins.

The premodern pitching records like 511 wins, or 73 complete games in one season, will never be broken unless the MLB allows a cyborg pitcher. Cy Young pitched most of his games before a foul ball counted as a strike. There was still controversy about whether the sacrifice bunt should be banned. He got 150 wins without ever making a putout at first base, because the pitcher covering first hadn't been invented yet.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 25, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What if identical twin brothers are both great pitchers and one of them signs with a team and they pitch every 3 days switching jerseys without anyone knowing?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

abreu has covid

just fuckin' vax the players already

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Chamale posted:

I looked it up and you're right. If a pitcher debuted in 1996 and tied the MLB leader in wins every year, he'd have 498 wins.

The premodern pitching records like 511 wins, or 73 complete games in one season, will never be broken unless the MLB allows a cyborg pitcher. Cy Young pitched most of his games before a foul ball counted as a strike. There was still controversy about whether the sacrifice bunt should be banned. He got 150 wins without ever making a putout at first base, because the pitcher covering first hadn't been invented yet.

To put it in another perspective - CC Sabathia was a true ace and massive workhorse that ended his nearly 20 year career with 251 wins. He would have to come back and have his entire career ALL OVER AGAIN, and STILL would be 10 wins away from breaking it.

It blows my mind how much those pre-Ruth era guys pitched. There’s no way ANY of those records get touched ever again.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

IcePhoenix posted:

anyway now that you've enjoyed fun twins stuff, let me bring the mood crashing down

https://twitter.com/betsyhelfand/status/1364600654707249152

dude is gonna go three years without playing baseball

drat that sucks. It's like the universe hates some guys.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

RCarr posted:

What if identical twin brothers are both great pitchers and one of them signs with a team and they pitch every 3 days switching jerseys without anyone knowing?

they would be brought up on April 28th, and would later go to arb1 over 2.9mm vs. 3.25mm

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

abreu has covid

just fuckin' vax the players already

Yeah, I'm not gonna lie I've kinda come around on this one. It would be what, <15K doses total to give two shots to every player on each team's 40 man + managers, coaches, and relevant clubhouse staff? That's a drop in the bucket and just having sports as a distraction would be a huge mental health boon to a lot of people.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Not just that but they're clearly going to have the season anyway so you might as well vaccinate this group that will be doing a lot of travelling to reduce the risk of spreading it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, its lovely that people are getting to cut the line because they're rich and privileged and a bunch of people want to watch a game. But its happening any way and doses are going to waste and they're gonna play so gently caress it. At least the players won't get anyone sick and maybe you could market it to try and convince people to get it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

It'd be interesting to see someone do an analysis on how much spread potential there is from players (of any sport, really), and how vaccinating them compares against using those vaccines on the general public.

Also, just to add, while the evidence is growing, there still is not definitive proof that someone being vaccinated is incapable of asymptomatic spread. So you could vaccinate the players, and they may live to play another day, but could wipe out a children's hospital during a publicity tour. :colbert:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
There are lots of baseball players who are not rich or privileged, see most of the minor leagues

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Hot (maybe mild?) take but I don't care if the players get it ahead of me or some rich guy does, it's more people getting it at the end of the day and they are actually getting the doses used. The players should be getting it anyway cause they are moving around all over the place much more than the average person is at the moment.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It seems like the biggest vaccine bottleneck is distribution, not production right now, so giving the players a bunch of them isn't necessarily a zero-sum thing where a nursing home will be missing out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Nodoze posted:

Hot (maybe mild?) take but I don't care if the players get it ahead of me or some rich guy does, it's more people getting it at the end of the day and they are actually getting the doses used.

:emptyquote:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/joonlee/status/1364928918004916231

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Hot (maybe mild?) take but I don't care if the players get it ahead of me or some rich guy does, it's more people getting it at the end of the day and they are actually getting the doses used. The players should be getting it anyway cause they are moving around all over the place much more than the average person is at the moment.

Honestly if we are gonna have sports athletes play for our entertainment we ought to get them vaccinated ahead of others. I'm a guy who can work from home safely, so yes athletes should be getting it before me.