Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Has anyone told Tony about TIM ANDERSON and how much fun he likes to have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Looking forward to being out of the Chicago sports media spotlight for about 45 minutes until we do something dumb like non-tender Javy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Literally any team in baseball right now could go out and get a proven left handed closer who just put up a 1.37 FIP and is only 30 for a 1/10 commitment. All they have to do is claim him. That's it. No prospect capital, no negotiation, no nothing. Just go claim him and bam, your bullpen is insanely better at what should be below market cost.

If nobody claims Hand then nobody is getting paid this offseason. That tweet by Bauer about considering any offers from any MLB or NPB team is looking a lot less like a joke and more him realizing Japan might be the only place where he can get paid next year.

Man this is really bad.

I will be absolutely livid if he goes unclaimed, both for selfish "He would make my team better" reasons and also the obvious larger issue.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

chilihead posted:

Braves paid Ozuna something around 18 million this year, the qualifying offer is around 18 million this year. If they don't re-sign him of course they will offer him the QO.
The amount is getting high enough that combined with loss of revenues no team will ever offer it again to a player they wouldn't actually pay....in order to get a draft pick.
Those days are over and of course next CBA it will be gone anyway.

Ozuna turned down a qualifying option last year so I think that makes him ineligible to receive one this year.

Good town for the DUI-prone, Chicago

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 29, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

elentar posted:

Ozuna turned down a qualifying option last year so I think that makes him ineligible to receive one this year.

I believe the part that makes him ineligible to receive a qualifying offer is the fact that he has received one in his career in general. You can't receive more than one under this CBA. (but yea, he's ineligible, just like Grandal last year)

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

mastershakeman posted:

holy lol at TLR being BACK

his first season managing the sox was in '79!!

I'm old as gently caress, but I went to the game previous to him being announced as a White Sox manager the first time in '79. Burying the lede to the story, but I think the Yankees also solved their Gary Sanchez problem. It was also Thurman Munson's last game.

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 29, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I can't believe the White Sox hired La Russa. My god what a dumbass move.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Nervously cackling at the White Sox well I wait for the Cubs to non-tender every player and replace David Ross with Lance Berkman.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Brad Hand did get owned against the Yankees alot. Maybe that is why they cut him.

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1321893585046962183

LOL

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Oct 29, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Popete posted:

Nervously cackling at the White Sox well I wait for the Cubs to non-tender every player and replace David Ross with Lance Berkman.

But think of all the Faith & Family nights Wrigley could host then

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Countdown until he alienates his first player.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 29, 2020

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
whats the quote about facing TLR where it has like "suddenly you look up and a second baseman is pitching and you're down by 5 runs." Sorry I can't remember BECAUSE HE HASN'T COACHED IN ALMOST A DECADE

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

DurosKlav posted:

It's gonna be Tim Anderson

Man, I was actually enjoying the White Sox for a while there too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DurosKlav posted:

Apparently there are already issues among team personnel (although that might be FO at this point) over the hiring so I have a feeling it's gonna be a short wait.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently there are already issues among team personnel (although that might be FO at this point) over the hiring so I have a feeling it's gonna be a short wait.

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1321876262240030720

lol @ jerry going over his FO's head to hire a new manager none of them like.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

White Sox you dumb bastards

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Can’t wait for the White Sox to mutiny

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
Cant believe a team actually hired TLR to manage in 2020. AJ Hinch was right there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Because we live in the worst world, the sox will win in 2021 despite him and we'll have to hear about what a genius he is.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/CespedesBBQ/status/1321900041150337024

TLR gonna show the Sox youngsters how to win without exploiting their opponent's weaknesses

edit: they were about to go with AJ Hinch until Jerry overruled them :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/GabeNotDave/status/1321903108604264448

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 29, 2020

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I hope Jerry Reinsdorf is soon able to work with his good friend George Steinbrenner in designing a perfect manager and lineup for heaven's team.

Wait, take your poo poo rear end son and Kenny Williams too.

I feel like I'm getting to mcmagic levels. Gonna step back for a bit.

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 29, 2020

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Can't wait for Tim Anderson to get benched for hitting a dinger

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hopefully Amderson flips his bat so hard and so far that it flies into the Sox dugout and brains La Russa, leaving him incapable of fulfilling his duties as manager.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Tim Anderson is stuck there another two years minimum and has team options thru 2024 lmao poor dude

If I'm him or Gioloto im on the phone with my agent

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

edit: they were about to go with AJ Hinch until Jerry overruled them :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

https://twitter.com/GabeNotDave/status/1321903108604264448

My god lmao

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That loving Hinch thing is amazing, how is this not performance art.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yes that is not TLR’s signature at all

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

To think that A.J. Hinch wasn't the most controversial candidate to manage a baseball in the fall of 2020.

The White Sox have a pretty cool team. It's a shame that TLR is going to promptly kill it.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Unfortunate turn of events for a really cool up-and-coming team :smith:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol I'm not sure how this could get any funnier

The alternative was AJ Hinch and that's still somehow better than who they actually went with

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yes Dernald, I'm sure Kayleigh and her husband appreciate that. He was cut by the Rays two months prior to the WS, because he gave up two dongs in four innings, one of which hit the loving roof of some stadium, and has been unemployed since.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Popete posted:

lol I'm not sure how this could get any funnier

The alternative was AJ Hinch and that's still somehow better than who they actually went with

It got a lot funnier for me when I remembered those stories about La Russa stealing signs as the Sox manager in the 80s

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMojok posted:

Yes Dernald, I'm sure Kayleigh and her husband appreciate that. He was cut by the Rays two months prior to the WS, because he gave up two dongs in four innings, one of which hit the loving roof of some stadium, and has been unemployed since.

The continued insistence that Gilmartin is good at baseball is a hilarious little subplot going on with the Trump staff.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So wait why is Trump obsessed with Gilmartin, I completely missed this dumb subplot. Is he a CHUD or something?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

So wait why is Trump obsessed with Gilmartin, I completely missed this dumb subplot. Is he a CHUD or something?

He's married to the press secretary.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

my friend, no!

https://twitter.com/BR_MLB/status/1321902411313606656

between the league-wide excuses to slash spending and now this, Puig may have played his last game in MLB

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

my friend, no!

between the league-wide excuses to slash spending and now this, Puig may have played his last game in MLB

Yikes

This would explain why he was even more radioactive than usual this year

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

He's married to the press secretary.

Wow I completely missed that, what a loving tool.

bawfuls posted:

my friend, no!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
What a week for baseball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

bawfuls posted:

my friend, no!

God dammit Puig.