Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

West coast start times means no one will watch them sadly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LCS & WS start times are scheduled around national tv more than local markets

They'll happily make them start a game at 5:05 local time to reach more east coast eyeballs

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Apparently some of the Rosenthal deal is deferred.

I'm just now reading that, and somehow it's a better offer than what the A's figured to offer Semien ($10MM deferred over 10 years at $1MM per).

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

bees x1000 posted:

OOTP 21 is $5 right now. What does it do better than 18?

The changes made to scouting are pretty tight.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OOTP 18 still had the little peg-people moving around instead of the 3D animations, didn’t it?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

General Bullshit posted:

I'm just now reading that, and somehow it's a better offer than what the A's figured to offer Semien ($10MM deferred over 10 years at $1MM per).

Why keep Marcus Simien when you can take on the Andrus contract!!!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1362769267557564419

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1362482376509513729?s=19

Yu having some galaxy brain takes that's still better than anything Manfred has proposed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That’s way more than I would have thought he would get

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
College baseball is technically supposed to start today but a ton of series have already been called off for COVID protocols and my own university is in the middle of a case spike so it could be a bit yet.

Will start a thread if it ever looks like a season might happen.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

yeah I'm OK with this, I'd much rather go for someone with upside as the 5th starter than blow $40M on Bauer to be the #2

a rotation of deGrom/Carrasco/Syndergaard/Stroman/Walker could be incredible

e: Yamamoto and Lucchesi will probably get starts as well until Syndergaaard's back/to manage Walker's workload

honestly I'm beginning to get real excited about this team

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This year is a real test of whether lol Mets :mets: is limited to a specific set of incompetent people no longer with the org or is a more general cosmic condition.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

elentar posted:

College baseball is technically supposed to start today but a ton of series have already been called off for COVID protocols and my own university is in the middle of a case spike so it could be a bit yet.

Will start a thread if it ever looks like a season might happen.

JUCO started in January, but quite unevenly. DeSantis being so utterly unbothered means that Florida jucos have been going full blast since early January. Other schools have been staggered because they have at least minimum of protocols. Rain soaking the southeast has knocked out more games than COVID so far.

With players getting a bonus year and uncertainties over scholarships and playing time, many jucos will be a bit deeper this year. I've heard of at least a few players deciding to ride it out and see if something better pops up in a year or two at the senior college level.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I read that the Jays were going after Walker, so now I really don't know what they're going to do as far as SPs go.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I think its more likely they make a trade rather than sign someone. I don't think they want to give Odorizzi a long deal and I'm not sure they have much more to spend this offseason to wow him with a 1 year deal.

Ryu/Pearson/Ray/Roark/god please have some prospects ready

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1362482376509513729?s=19

Yu having some galaxy brain takes that's still better than anything Manfred has proposed.

Yu Darvish pushes for Rule 34 in baseball? Oh boy....

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Tatis used one of those payment advance companies that gives minor leagues cash in exchange for a percentage of their future earnings, and could be on the hook for giving up as much as $34M as repayment if he took the maximum upfront payment offered of... $500K.

quote:

As the company explains on its website, “Players choose what percentage of their future career earnings they want to give Big League Advance. For example, BLA may offer a player $50,000 for every 1 percent of his future professional earnings. If players wanted to sign a deal for 5 percent, he would receive $250,000, or if he wanted to sign a deal for 10 percent, he would receive $500,000.”

If Tatis, 22, chose 10 percent, he would owe the company $34 million over the course of his contract; if he chose 5 percent, the number would be $17 million. He said after signing with BLA that he wanted to hire a personal trainer, eat better food and get a better apartment. He used the money to upgrade not only his training regimen in the U.S., but also his offseason practice field in his native Dominican Republic.

It's the bolded part that really gets me. Because minor leaguers are paid like poo poo and Tatis was not some huge bonus baby, he had to sign away potential future earnings at a frankly absurd rate just so that he could have the money he needed to, you know, develop as a baseball player. The thing that the minor leagues are ostensibly there to help with.

e. Turns out Tatis actually got a $700K bonus so idk maybe he was just bad with his money, but still the point stands that teams should be taking care of their MiLB players needs.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 19, 2021

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Tatis Sr also broke? Surely Jr could have gotten a few bucks from his Dad

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think its more likely they make a trade rather than sign someone. I don't think they want to give Odorizzi a long deal and I'm not sure they have much more to spend this offseason to wow him with a 1 year deal.

Yeah totally, they have some attractive prospects that wouldn't be too upsetting to give up considering. I also wonder if they move an outfielder. It has been a strong offseason for the Jays they just didn't really plug the SP hole which was one of their main weaknesses, so we'll see.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1362840428903604224

V: :toot:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah totally, they have some attractive prospects that wouldn't be too upsetting to give up considering. I also wonder if they move an outfielder. It has been a strong offseason for the Jays they just didn't really plug the SP hole which was one of their main weaknesses, so we'll see.

I don't think they should trade an outfielder. There's enough variance involved with Gurriel/Teoscar/Rowdy that I think you wait and see what shakes out before doing something like that. There's no ready replacement in the minors while they have a half dozen guys they can throw at the 5th spot and see what shakes out. If you're trading for a starter you start with sending out catchers and pitching prospects imo.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is Tatis Sr also broke? Surely Jr could have gotten a few bucks from his Dad
Yeah this is the part that confuses me here. Sr played 11 years in MLB with a lifetime pre-tax earnings of $17.8M. Surely he could support his son's development enough to not have to give up 10% of Jr's career earnings to these vultures?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

bawfuls posted:

Yeah this is the part that confuses me here. Sr played 11 years in MLB with a lifetime pre-tax earnings of $17.8M. Surely he could support his son's development enough to not have to give up 10% of Jr's career earnings to these vultures?

what if tatis sr also had to give up a big chunk of change to them? im pretty sure that service was also available in the early 90s

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Damnit Johnny but also I laughed at this reply

https://twitter.com/JoeWBowles/status/1362822058665721862

Watch him get traded now

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

what if tatis sr also had to give up a big chunk of change to them? im pretty sure that service was also available in the early 90s
it's turtles capitalist exploitation all the way down

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is there something specific that makes that kind of deal exempt from usury laws?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When was the last time usury laws did anything in the US? You can sign people up for like 30% interest on a credit card and charge truly absurd rates on pay-day loans.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The relevant interest rate is set by federal law and banks are federally chartered
At least the ones that issue credit cards are

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

Damnit Johnny but also I laughed at this reply

https://twitter.com/JoeWBowles/status/1362822058665721862

Watch him get traded now

Someone should tell Johnny Trump can't pardon him

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Someone should tell Johnny Trump can't pardon him

Probably good enough for desantis.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

how do arbitration hearings work? Effectively Wild mentions them and now I'm seeing them here.

are these "arbitration years" built into everyone's first contract?

the player says "I deserve X" and the team says "haha nah it's Y" and an arbitrator mostly agrees with the team?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah it's the final three years of the seven years of team control. The player and team each submit a number and the arbitrator must pick one, there's no splitting the difference. They are free to reach an agreement and avoid arbitration, whether that's a multi-year extension or simply agreeing on that year's pay, and that is pretty common.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

ketchup vs catsup posted:

how do arbitration hearings work? Effectively Wild mentions them and now I'm seeing them here.

are these "arbitration years" built into everyone's first contract?

the player says "I deserve X" and the team says "haha nah it's Y" and an arbitrator mostly agrees with the team?

That's pretty much exactly how it goes. If team and player can't agree on a contract beforehand, arbitration awards a one year contract choosing either what the player proposes or the team proposes; an independent panel determines which of the two numbers more accurately represents the player's value. They have to choose one or the other.

It is kind of an interesting vestige of the reserve clause era. Salary arbitration was one of the first concessions the players won back in the day, when they couldn't leave the team they played for no matter what. It stuck around through several different subsequent CBA iterations as it was as good a system as any for gradually raising player salary while still giving teams some years of control.

Nowadays you spend 3 of your 6 team-controlled years in arbitration (the first 3 are usually at league minimum salary), so it tends to land squarely on the best players in the game when they are in their prime years.

I *think* players tend to win more often, although "winning" in this sense should be understood as winning within the confines of a system that isn't very favorable to them in the first place. I also could be wrong about that, it has been a while since I actually looked.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Tom’s River Todd to the pirates apparently

(Not confirmed yet)

Edited to add: now confirmed

https://twitter.com/alexjstumpf/status/1362884756380282884?s=21

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 20, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
generally before this offseason a lot of teams were hesitant to go to the actual hearing - there's one team (I think the Giants?) that went quite a few years without doing so

standing up in front of a panel and explaining why your good young player actually isn't as good as they think is a good way to piss them off and is usually not worth doing just to save what is usually less than a million

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Julio Cruz posted:

generally before this offseason a lot of teams were hesitant to go to the actual hearing - there's one team (I think the Giants?) that went quite a few years without doing so

standing up in front of a panel and explaining why your good young player actually isn't as good as they think is a good way to piss them off and is usually not worth doing just to save what is usually less than a million

I was under this impression too, but there's actually fewer players that went to arb this year (13) than last year (22)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
huh that's not what I figured at all

all the arb decisions seem to have come out recently, that's probably what made me thought that

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
more players get dfa'd than before too - don't even have to go to arb if you just release the player

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

GalacticAcid posted:

Tom’s River Todd to the pirates apparently

(Not confirmed yet)

Edited to add: now confirmed

https://twitter.com/alexjstumpf/status/1362884756380282884?s=21

That feels like quite a fall off from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
isn't Ke'Bryan Hayes, literally the only actual good player the Pirates have, a 3B? I don't know why they'd want Frazier unless they're going to put him at first and literally everyone with an OPS over 100 has refused to sign for them