Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah how the gently caress did the Cubs go from looking like a budding dynasty in 2016 to reverting back to being the Cubs?

From Cubs to chuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I mean look, Trump's 2024 PAC isn't going to fund itself.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah how the gently caress did the Cubs go from looking like a budding dynasty in 2016 to reverting back to being the Cubs?

time to unleash the largest cubspost this forum has ever seen

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1367271934719836169

e: upon further research, he was only a 2-time MVP, and came in second in between. (he immediately won another MVP his first year in SF)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The amount of "budding dynasties" that become dynasties is extremely low. They had a good collection of young talent and money but several of those did not pan out and they cut spending after winning the World Series. They still made the playoffs 5 times in 6 years and were like a 94 win team on average in that period.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Shrecknet posted:

https://twitter.com/shrecknet/status/1367271934719836169

e: upon further research, he was only a 2-time MVP, and came in second in between. (he immediately won another MVP his first year in SF)

Shrecknet posted:

I remember Bonds' 7/49 deal when he jumped ship to the Giants and how it was plastered over ever magazine cover as the greediest player to ever ruin baseball by wanting to be compensated as the... checks notes... first-ever and reigning 3-time MVP.

That's a 7 year/$86m deal in 2021 dollars, or $12.2 AAV. For a three-time MVP entering his age 28 season.

:signings:

What's happening here

Death Vomit Wizard
May 8, 2006
Bottom Feeder

boroda posted:

give kersh your new sticky stuff so he can live forever
How is this not the thread title?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
Did they copy and paste their wrong tweet that they corrected in their post as a tweet 2 weeks later and then edit in the exact same correction? I thought I was stroking out when I read that post because I swore it happened a long time ago.

It's taken 12 years of posting in SAS but I can finally jump on board with "gently caress the Angels". I'd like to apologise to y'all, I was wrong.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Poque posted:

What's happening here

Thank you for confirming the absurd deja vu that post triggered.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And the *checks notes* New York Yankees can’t do that with their generational talent? I mean I know that a small market outlet like the Yankees is hard up for cash but hey sometimes you need to take risks.

Tatis is significantly younger and plays a more premium position

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Intruder posted:

Tatis is significantly younger and plays a more premium position

Well the Yankees could have broken the bank when Judge was younger and it was obvious what they had.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Why would they they're getting all his prime years at a discount. This is one of baseballs biggest problems labor-wise

Also Judge has an injury that threatens to shorten his career or did that get resolved

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Arrieta, unsurprisingly, was never the absolute raid boss he was in 15-16 again, and walked in free agency after 17.
Lester slowly declined, albeit gracefully.
The Cubs really needed starting pitching at the 17 deadline, so they got Jose Quintana, who was a 3-4 starter for the rest of his arb years.
Several looked-like-a-great-move-at-the-time bullpen guys didn't pan out or hurt themselves putting on pants.
Bryant misses a bunch of time every year with injuries and never consistently puts it together.
Russell is best forgotten, plus he was bad at baseball.
Dexter Fowler left in FA after 16.
Schwarber never learned how to hit lefties and is below average to bad in left.
Zobrist declined and then retired (maybe not officially? But he's done)

The farm system that was the best in baseball in 15-16 turned into pretty good player Ian Happ, a clutch tag up and advance to 2nd, good offensive catcher Willson Contreras, 3 months of Aroldis Chapman, and Jose Quintana.

tl;dr they sold to maximize wins during the competitive window and did pretty well for 6 years. Everyone's 6 years older now and those guys either didn't pan out, were too expensive to keep, or they're Kyle Hendricks, Rizzo, and Baez.

There's a few decent prospects in the pipe, and I don't think it's going to be a 100-loss team again anytime soon, plus the NLC is the worst division by a stretch.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well the Yankees could have broken the bank when Judge was younger and it was obvious what they had.

It's not obvious what they have. Anything could happen, but Tatis is likely to be better than Judge over the course of his career, or at least the Padres have reason to believe he will be.

Nothing against Judge as a player, but the reason he's "one of the biggest names in baseball" is because of the pinstripes on his jersey and how absolutely loving huge he is. If he was on the Reds doing exactly the same thing he would not be a household name.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well that and he hit 52 homeruns his rookie season

I think people would notice if a Red did that

On the other hand, Tatis would be hitting FA at the same age that Judge was a rookie

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Stanton was on the Marlins and everyone knew him because he could hit the ball 500 feet.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Stanton was on the Marlins and everyone knew him because he could hit the ball 500 feet.

Outside of baseball fans?

Like, most people don't know who Mike Trout is, and he plays in a major market and may be the best player to play the game ever.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

more falafel please posted:

Outside of baseball fans?

Like, most people don't know who Mike Trout is, and he plays in a major market and may be the best player to play the game ever.

Speaking as someone on the outside I’m pretty confident that most people don’t know that Mike Trout is great because it seems that it’s all measured by analytics that most people don’t give a poo poo about.

Like I watched this video the other day

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=92ItQ5h0rSU

And absolutely nothing about it stuck with me and I was just waiting for the dude to tell me what his batting average is and how many hits and home runs he’s on pace for.

But I freely admit I’m a simpleton.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Trout is unbelievable no matter what type of stats you use to judge him

Except playoff wins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Death Vomit Wizard posted:

How is this not the thread title?