Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Coonrod showed a good fastball last year. 99 mph with life. No legit secondary pitch iirc, so yeah he's just a guy basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/hgomez27/status/1347959985767149569

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

where the hell did the Padres get all this money from

good for them tho. And Tatis, probably

these are japanese fake names of baseball players

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

drat, the Padres are not giving me a lot of reasons to not own a Padres hat.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
good for FTJ, good for the Padres, good for everyone in MLB except the non-Dodgers NL West

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

anyone think the Schwarber signing in D.C. indicates that the NL knows they're getting the DH, they just haven't announced it yet?

Also a reminder that in 2020 Schwarber basically never played DH because they didn't have another outfielder to put out there because of Budgetary Concerns.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Good riddance Sam Coonrod you poo poo head

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

anyone think the Schwarber signing in D.C. indicates that the NL knows they're getting the DH, they just haven't announced it yet?

Also a reminder that in 2020 Schwarber basically never played DH because they didn't have another outfielder to put out there because of Budgetary Concerns.

What I've heard is that teams are operating as if there will be universal DH. Don't know if that means they're right, but that's supposedly how they're thinking.

This being a one year deal does sort of imply a DH, but for any team planning post-2021, I don't think there's any way there's not a DH after this year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

If this is accurate, I'm glad to see young players getting paid and teams not using the terrible Albies contract as a precedent to stiff them.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah I mean they just got Josh Bell for 1B and the Nats have decent OF depth behind Soto/Robles. Roster Resource has Schwarb in LF but his best position is “hitter.”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Schwarber signed with an NL team for more than his projected arb salary, which I can only interpret as the absolute brain trust that is the Cubs FO was once again suckered by the rest league into thinking Kyle had no trade value and had to be nontendered, when in fact he very clearly did have value. Cubs could have at least gotten a lottery ticket or something for him but now they get nothing, lol.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Cubs could have at least gotten a lottery ticket or something for him but now they get nothing, lol.

Think of the financial flexibility!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Schwarber signed with an NL team for more than his projected arb salary, which I can only interpret as the absolute brain trust that is the Cubs FO was once again suckered by the rest league into thinking Kyle had no trade value and had to be nontendered, when in fact he very clearly did have value. Cubs could have at least gotten a lottery ticket or something for him but now they get nothing, lol.

STOP THE STEAL (OF ASSETS!!!!!!)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
part of Schwarber's value was in the fact that he was available for only his 2020 salary, though

if the price of getting him was $10 million with a prospect on top he'd be a lot less attractive to teams like Washington who are probably not contending in 2021 and therefore are having to make longer-term plans

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I thought I remembered Schwarbs having defensive value. Was that just 3rd base coaches running on a strong left field arm that was always out of position?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I thought I remembered Schwarbs having defensive value. Was that just 3rd base coaches running on a strong left field arm that was always out of position?

Schwarber has almost zero ability to judge the angle to take on fly balls, and because he either cannot or will not keep his weight down, his mobility is limited as hell. Every now and again he'll show a cannon in left field and then immediately afterwards he'll toss a bizarre lawn dart.

Pair that with the fact that I have better chances of stumbling onto a million bucks in my bedroom closet than he does of hitting left-handed pitching, he doesn't even project well as a career DH.

So long, Schwarbs, you were fun for a year but ultimately you suck.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 10, 2021

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think Schwarber is a change of scenery break out candidate. He had some good years hitting in Chicago but it just never quite all came together for him. He'll be 28 this season so there's still time for him to develop.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

I think Schwarber is a change of scenery break out candidate. He had some good years hitting in Chicago but it just never quite all came together for him. He'll be 28 this season so there's still time for him to develop.

How often does a player suddenly put it all together at 28? Schwarber's strike zone judgment, his plate discipline, his fielding ... they're pretty much all known quantities at this point.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

he hits absolutely massive ding dongs though

e: also the cubs are not going to sign a replacement and they'll put zagunis out there or something.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If this is accurate, I'm glad to see young players getting paid and teams not using the terrible Albies contract as a precedent to stiff them.

It doesn't look like it because of the amount of money but this will probably look like a similar bargain by the time he would have been a FA if he continues to be as good as he's been.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

where the hell did the Padres get all this money from

the same place any owner could since they're billionaires

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

more falafel please posted:

What I've heard is that teams are operating as if there will be universal DH. Don't know if that means they're right, but that's supposedly how they're thinking.

This being a one year deal does sort of imply a DH, but for any team planning post-2021, I don't think there's any way there's not a DH after this year.

the Nats have a recent history of signing bench bats who don't really play defense very well.

They're kind of old school.

IcePhoenix posted:

the same place any owner could since they're billionaires

Seems like their ownership group has internal drama at times but they sure as hell will spend money if it's justifiable in any way at all.

They approved that crazy win now deal at the beginning of AJ's tenure, the Hosmer deal, and they brought on a lot of money this year.

I just hope they have enough depth leftover to a avoid the fate of the Cubs

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 10, 2021

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

tadashi posted:

the Nats have a recent history of signing bench bats who don't really play defense very well.

They're kind of old school.

Nats beat reporters have said the Nats are preparing as if they won't have a DH this year. They just don't value outfield defense all that much. Its pretty consistent with how they have operated under Rizzo. Both Adam Lind and Matt Adams played left field (albeit only a few times) when they were here!

Timby posted:

Schwarber has almost zero ability to judge the angle to take on fly balls, and because he either cannot or will not keep his weight down, his mobility is limited as hell. Every now and again he'll show a cannon in left field and then immediately afterwards he'll toss a bizarre lawn dart.

Pair that with the fact that I have better chances of stumbling onto a million bucks in my bedroom closet than he does of hitting left-handed pitching, he doesn't even project well as a career DH.

So long, Schwarbs, you were fun for a year but ultimately you suck.

Schwarber has one year as a less than average hitter, which was last year's weird pandemic season. He has put up 9.5 fWAR up to this point in his career. He is the definition of solid contributor. He's pretty one dimensional sure, but that one dimension is launching magnum dongs off right handed pitching. If you're only good at one thing that's a pretty useful thing to be good at.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Schwarber will look better on pretty much any other team that has more contact oriented hitters in their lineup. On the Cubs he was just an all-or-nothing guy in a sea of all-or-nothing guys.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Spoeank posted:

Good riddance Sam Coonrod you poo poo head

thank u, next

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

https://puigdestroyer.bandcamp.com

EDIT: I'm just realizing that not everyone will get it: the name is a play on the band "pig destroyer" and apparently the drummer from Thrice is in this band.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 10, 2021

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Welp, I committed. I added the Mets to 'my teams' in the MLB app. Be on the lookout for horrible injuries and/or stupid management in the near future. :mets:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bees x1000 posted:

Welp, I committed. I added the Mets to 'my teams' in the MLB app. Be on the lookout for horrible injuries and/or stupid management in the near future. :mets:

how is that any different than before

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

DJ is tired of the Yankees not committing to anything contract-wise so he is talking to other teams now

https://twitter.com/zcrizer/status/1348438652389617664?s=20

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I guess that's interesting as a 3B/big bat option for Atlanta but speculation around an Arenado trade was (even disregarding the opt-out problem) that they wouldn't be willing to both take on his contract and a $25m+ AAV Freeman extension. A DJLM contract wouldn't be quite at that level but still doubt it fits into the budget, especially if he wants 4-5 years.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I guess that's interesting as a 3B/big bat option for Atlanta but speculation around an Arenado trade was (even disregarding the opt-out problem) that they wouldn't be willing to both take on his contract and a $25m+ AAV Freeman extension. A DJLM contract wouldn't be quite at that level but still doubt it fits into the budget, especially if he wants 4-5 years.

Really wish they'd just go for it, put LeMahieu at third and then just resign Duvall or something to play right. Very real chance of falling behind the Mets and Phillies this year without upgrading. But yeah, I doubt the money will be made available.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm so loving bummed about baseball

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

elentar posted:

Really wish they'd just go for it, put LeMahieu at third and then just resign Duvall or something to play right. Very real chance of falling behind the Mets and Phillies this year without upgrading. But yeah, I doubt the money will be made available.

The Phillies ain't doing poo poo this year

Braves coukd cut half their team and still finish ahead of the Phillies

But yeah, Mets are NL East favorites I think

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

bees x1000 posted:

I mean, it's the Mets.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The Phillies ain't doing poo poo this year

Braves coukd cut half their team and still finish ahead of the Phillies

But yeah, Mets are NL East favorites I think

The Phillies ain't doing poo poo until we get new ownership

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the problem for the Phillies in willingness to spend money or that they keep busting when they decide to? I hadn't followed the NL East too closely recently but it seemed like they were putting up money for guys. Its like ones like Arrieta who tanked or Harper who is a good not great player.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Shiroc posted:

Is the problem for the Phillies in willingness to spend money or that they keep busting when they decide to? I hadn't followed the NL East too closely recently but it seemed like they were putting up money for guys. Its like ones like Arrieta who tanked or Harper who is a good not great player.

Dunno about “great” but Bryce Harper is a loving good player and paying him to be loving good for them has to be counted in the Phillies’ favor.

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy

Shiroc posted:

They could (and probably should) have spent a little bit more money to shore up some of their weaknesses, but it wasn't really their problem. Their free agencies adds worked about as well as you could have hoped I think (not much you can do with pitchers arms exploding), and the Realmuto add also worked out great for them But these guys were supposed to be added to a core of young talented players coming up through the Phillies system and lol. Nola, and Hoskins are good. Eflin looks like he might take a step forward. Thats pretty much it. Their front office has just plain done a terrible job developing and drafting. If a guy isn't already good, don't ask the Phillies if he's gonna get good. They don't know.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That Kingery extension has not really worked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bet harper is going to be an interesting HOF case...he'll have basically one really great season and probably some really impressive counting stats, but I'm betting like 12-13 more years of good solid uninspiring 3-WAR-per-year ball is how the rest of his career goes down. That'd put him at like ~70 career WAR, but with only one real standout year in his career.

Really what I'm saying is his candidacy will hinge on how enthusiastically he supports Donald Trump Jrs run for the presidency in 2032.