Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

That don't is terrible. It looks like ALEX WOOO on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like Alex Wood because he's got a weird, funky delivery and it's fun watching him pitch. He's only two seasons removed from be a solid MOR guy, seems like a good roll of the dice.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I agree.

Was never a Kluber guy but I think he’s a decent gamble as well. If I had to guess a most likely outcome I’d say he busts but there’s a high enough probability of him giving quality innings that I’m eager to see where he lands and how he does

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

damnit I liked Alex Wood!

He dominated the Astros at Minute Maid in gm4 of the 2017 WS because he was already so paranoid about sign stealing he changed his up every 5-10 pitches that game.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Sydin posted:

I like Alex Wood because he's got a weird, funky delivery and it's fun watching him pitch.

Same. I liked that dude from his days with the Braves, and rooted for him even when he was on the bad team. Cool signing, hope he has something left in the tank.

Now sign Kluber or Paxton and I will be satisfied.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Funk is the new frontier:

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1349921808040906755

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Giants baseball analysts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBexLcMkq4

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I for one am all for the new Funk revolution.

gently caress launch angle well we're at it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1349856705098752004

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs are almost certainly going to file that KB and Javy shouldn't get any raise based on their 2020 numbers - if not try to hit them with a pay cut - so that'll be fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sydin posted:

The Cubs are almost certainly going to file that KB and Javy shouldn't get any raise based on their 2020 numbers - if not try to hit them with a pay cut - so that'll be fun.

I'm fairly certain players can't have an arb number below their previous year's salary (and there might be a minimum raise baked in as well)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Arbitration can drop a player's salary by up to 20% but i can't ever remember that happening.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The labor unrest is going to be brutal because the media will be 24/7 talking about how spoiled players are.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Doesn't arbitration use a comparison of similar players based on a player's stats and awards to determine which side's salary offer/request is closer to the "correct" salary? Does that account for the changes in revenue due to the pandemic?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm fairly certain players can't have an arb number below their previous year's salary (and there might be a minimum raise baked in as well)

Their arb salary can be cut to 20% less than their previous year's arb salary.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1350036486150909954?s=21

Machine back

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

What an exciting off-season to be a Blue Jays fan. In on everyone, signing no one. :smith:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1350076612700745732

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

About loving time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a bullpen built around Hand/May/Lugo/Familia/Blevins could be pretty solid even if Diaz and Betances are trash again

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1350081526441111553

How could you do this Kenny

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Yankees better be doing something else besides just bringing back DJLM. They need starters and bullpen help badly.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1350097927524536322

6 years!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Jeez that is a LOW AAV. This screams "luxury tax fuckery" to me.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Not denying it isn't "low" aav but he's coming off of the two best years of his career and will be 33 this July.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Not denying it isn't "low" aav but he's coming off of the two best years of his career and will be 33 this July.

I have a feeling that the last 2 years of this deal are going to end up as fake option years that help the luxury tax in the first few years. I'm sure it's still less than he was asking for though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

100% length is due to them wanting to get below the luxury tax.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Totally forgot Donaldson signed a 4/92 last year at age 34 lmao

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/ragazzoreport/status/1350100203223851013

If this is true, I guess he really just wanted to stay with the Yankees.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

100% length is due to them wanting to get below the luxury tax.

Yeah, that deal is a steal in some sense, but in that light treating it like a 4y/90M but avoiding the salary cap luxury tax seems like a good read.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Man he's one of the 10 best players in baseball. The fact that he couldn't get more than this is pretty bad.

Also:
https://twitter.com/BobKlap/status/1350105934836736001

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 15, 2021

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Man he's one of the 10 best players in baseball.

Hahaha what

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I mean over the last ~200+ ish games that MLB has played, this isn't really a wrong statement.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Maybe he's 10th in hitters? Maybe he sneaks in if we count just the abbreviated season and the one before and get to count the short porch in Yankee stadium?

Cause Trout, Soto, Tatis, Acuna, Story, DeGrom, Cole, Bieber, Scherzer, Yelich, Springer, Bregman, Betts, Rendon, Bellinger, Bogaerts is pretty easily ahead of him and I'm pretty sure I can make the case for another half dozen or so players.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
6/90 is an insane bargain

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ragazzoreport/status/1350100203223851013

If this is true, I guess he really just wanted to stay with the Yankees.
big time “we tried” energy

Now re-sign JT ffs!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Jays will also attempt to sign Turner, but alas, he will return to the dodgers while the Jays just fall short.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Maybe he's 10th in hitters? Maybe he sneaks in if we count just the abbreviated season and the one before and get to count the short porch in Yankee stadium?

Cause Trout, Soto, Tatis, Acuna, Story, DeGrom, Cole, Bieber, Scherzer, Yelich, Springer, Bregman, Betts, Rendon, Bellinger, Bogaerts is pretty easily ahead of him and I'm pretty sure I can make the case for another half dozen or so players.

He was 6th last season in Bwar. Fwar had him 14th, so sure there is some argument, but the dude is comfortably somewhere in the 10-15 range

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He was 6th last season in Bwar. Fwar had him 14th, so sure there is some argument, but the dude is comfortably somewhere in the 10-15 range

It's probably more accurate to say he's top 15 but either way the point I was making was that he came to the Yankees, played at an MVP level for 2 years and pretty much only got like 3MM a year raise. Not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Signing Kluber in 2021 screams of "we tried" or "look a big name" cause I don't think he has anything left in the tank

e: I mean as anything other than a flier. Depending on him to be an important piece and fill a big hole is laughable