Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

davecrazy posted:

He literally announced he was restoring all team personnel salaries to the pre Wilpons covid cuts levels and starting a fund for seasonal ballpark staff.

Lmfao look how easy it was for them to get you wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

GalacticAcid posted:

It was fine. Meadows is garbage and Glasnow is overrated

Lol

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
What in the world

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I remember reading that despite the crazy babip he had he was also among the leaders in expected avg from contact quality.

Ya in 2020 but never before that.

Every year before this was an xwOBA under .300 but 2020 it was .370

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Nothin gets by you.

Sorry for talking baseball

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Lol which old asshat voted tatis tenth

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
gotta get tony la russa's buddy harold baines in

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

I'm pretty sure he does, and it is only a matter of time before the Dodgers cake-walk to first in the division every year is over. Dodgers need to win two more rings before that happens.

i guess but the dodgers were maybe the best team of all time last year so like not a cakewalk but being projected to win 100 games a year is absurd

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Rangers signed David Dahl for $3 million/1 year. That could potentially be a great bargain if he can do anything close to what he did in 2019.

ya definitely, he's not that far removed from being a big time prospect and i have no clue why the rockies dfa'd him unless they know something folks don't. def one of those prospect names one just kept hearing about for a while with the rockies, like brendan rodgers or ryan mcmahon, that just don't fully work out? or i play too much ootp

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Sure he's not amazing but I thought studies had shown that the coors effect wasn't really real once players got off the team? Like sure he's probably a 45 bat in CF with 40-45 defense and not great health but for that cost, there's no harm. That could be a solid player.

Fwar likes him a bit more too, seems like if he ever gets healthy he could put up a 3 win season.

Also, and this isn't like directed at you, Sydin, in particular, but is a thing with baseball these days - dahl is a former top prospect who is 26, plays an up the middle position, and has had a close to league average bat, it's insane that the reaction to him would be "not sure i want him on the team," especially at that cost. You can probably get 80 percent of him at league minimum unless he hits like a 90th percentile season, which is the reason he's available, but yikes at baseball

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
got im

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

euphronius posted:

Terminal owner brain

Is terminal fan brain rooting for bad players to mediocre players cause you don’t recognize that they’re bad to mediocre

Josh bell is bad to mediocre

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
that cubs core won over 90 games 4 years in a row but not every team can be the dodgers i guess

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
i can't believe i looked into that but

they get -2 for 2019 and +2 for 2020 if you count prorated wins like you did later for the dodgers so it's a 6 year run that's at 10 which doesn't seem that bad considering most teams don't approach anything like that in a decade

ya lol one of the best 50 dynasties ever if you go by his list and your additions

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
just gotta make the playoffs once in the next 4 years and they'll be at 10 for 10 years which is a longer time period than a lot of teams on that list - obviously ya that would go against the hot take since it's a different core but i guess i think that core did a lot, it's hard to be that good for 4 straight years. the fact they won 90 games each year and only won the division twice shouldn't be held against them when the central was really top heavy those years.

edit: cleveland is at 9 over the last 5 years but would be at 10 plus if their 93 wins in 2019 got them into the playoffs. they'd be at 11 if that had taken the division

edit2: vv of course, just in context of the hot take at the top of the page i was commenting on how the long run wouldn't feel necessarily the same

uggy fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Dec 30, 2020

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
also fyi the cardinals and red sox totals are still present and running since they havne't gone to zero yet

as somebody who doesn't count the prorated season that the dodgers had, the cardinals present total of 24 from 2000-2020 is actually second highest present cause the yankjees suck

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

bawfuls posted:

It is weird to me that cubsposters of all people would take offense to this observation.

i've responded the most and im not a cubs fan, i think the conversation has been reasonable with good back and forth and it's not really necessary to get a bit huffy that folks don't agree with your hot take

the cubs are only the 3rd best team of the last half decade the horror

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Sydin posted:

Anyway seems weirder to me that you feel the need to go back and relitigate how luck based the 2016 WS win was? Don't you have your own, much more recent WS championship to celebrate instead?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
your hot take and dynasty points talk was fine - it's that you couldn't understand why people disagreed with your hot take that got folks responding. there was a good discussion but it ended with you being like "jeez i can't understand why folks don't get it" and then the goal posts moved to "luck is involved in even winning one ws" which was not the original point. if you post a hot take be prepared for push back and for folks to not agree, that's all

i liked the discussion, I was very involved in it and I think talking about the teams of the decade is fun. I know the ringer did an article on that and said the astros were the team of the decade, which I can't fully disagree with but maybe it is just the giants cause rings.

edit: and tbh i have enjoyed this a lot more than folks just posting twitter links - there's not enough discussion on stuff like that in this thread

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

secular woods sex posted:

Take 3 minutes and read the methodology for yourself.

. . . nevermind, it's mcmagic.

I mean regardless that site isn’t the end all here. A good, very young up the middle player with an extra year of control seems pretty similar in value to a number 2/3 pitcher.

Zips projects way more value from gleybar over the next couple years

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I love when players I know in ootp get mentioned irl. I’m shocked how deep and forward looking the draft/minors are.

Shouts to Pablo Sandoval for being an ootp god

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I think it’s clear that teams value pop more and defense less and replacing wong with edman isn’t the dumbest thing in the world even tho I also would have kept wong

Obviously lots of teams trying to not spend money but nobody else has signed wong to that much money yet

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I too love to work double hours for others entertainment

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Dutchy posted:

wait'll you hear about the playoffs dude, five, ten, fifteen entire extra games and if you go long enough without ever doing it people start to think you're "bad"

They get paid more if they make the playoffs. There’s a pool for the players to split

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Inspector_666 posted:

Or the mound has to be lowered. There's a school of thought that moving the mound back might actually make things worse because you are able to add even more movement to your pitches.

I thought part of it was just that pitcher mechanics have been repeated tens of thousands of times and now you’re asking them to throw further? Wasn’t injury risk a thing that makes moving the mound further a non starter?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Any power hitters that signed should be pissed because now their skills are more valuable, if indeed the ball is really deadened.

Or pitchers who gave up too many dingers before getting paid, ya.

Players definitely made/lost money based on that ball

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Crazy that the best hitters in the world just can’t hit the ball to the opposite field. Well nevertheless I assume they can just practice it

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
How would the win rate change one team wins and one team loses

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Curious to read some takedowns of the projections systems that folks seem to have keen knowledge on.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Popete posted:

Baseball is bullshit

The BiB factor

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

alpha_destroy posted:

Can't remember if it was one of my OOTP saves or one of my MLB saves. But some save had Benintendi to the Royals. Saying as I can't remember, I'd hazard a guess a guess it didn't end well.

Edit: somehow both my recent OOTPs and MLB franchises ended up with Eduardo Rodriguez on the Royals. That's been mostly disappointing in both cases. So I guess I need to stop trading with the Red Sox.

Be Nintendo is always either worthless in ootp or a contact god

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

My sweet sweet heart

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

bewbies posted:

The problem with this system is it means only players with MLB utility can play pro baseball, as MLB teams have no incentive to employ anyone who has no shot at the big leagues. There are LOTS of great ballplayers out there who won't ever make it to the show, but if the entire minor league system is dominated by MLB teams, they have no real home to go to.

What in the world

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Hey you drafted me in the 1st round and I went to school and my arm blew out can I have the money still

No

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Ya but if you read the dudes post there are dozens of baseball players who should have the opportunity to play professional baseball in leagues where professional development is not a goal. Just some guys playing ball

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Thank god y’all let me know what that dude thinks here, I hadn’t checked Twitter yet

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
more players get dfa'd than before too - don't even have to go to arb if you just release the player

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Thanks for posting on sa clint

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is really proof but we all know that it's true. It's just going to make things more toxic between the players and the owners everyone thought it couldn't get more toxic.

How is it not proof?

You need him to write down “I am gonna manipulate service time” instead of saying it out loud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

DurosKlav posted:

Has to be Tatis 2 grand slams in an inning.

somebody just did this the other day in college

his was wilder cause they were both off the same pitcher

also there are hundreds of mlb records that will never be broken enjoy listing them yall