Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Anyway if we're doing offseason lists now,

What the Cubs SHOULD do:
-Sign DJLM or, if they're feeling in a gambling mood, Ha-Seong Kim. Put Nico back in the minors so he can work on his bat.
-Sign Springer, move Happ to left, move on from Schwarber. Sorry beefy lad, but that hot second half 2019 is looking more and more like a mirage and you don't defend well enough to justify your bat. Also release Almora, for the love of god PLEASE release Almora.
-Trade for a disgruntled Snell. :v: Okay more realistically go get Stroman, he rules and is low-key very good.
-Go get +2 actually decent relievers and spare us another season of endlessly cycling through dumpster dive guys.

What the Cubs WILL do:
-Trade Bryant to save money
-Tender Almora a contract and have him be the opening day CF
-Re-sign Chatwood for $1-2M and justify it by playing up the two (2) good starts he had this season before blowing up
-Sign a bunch of old, washed up, terrible relievers on minor league deals and spend half the season cycling through them to find 1-2 guys who can stick

I imagine the Cubs' biggest priority is going to be the starting rotation. Chatwood and Quintana are free agents and Lester is unlikely to take a prove-it one-year deal, and I fully expect Mills to turn into a pumpkin, so that's three holes to fill.

Bryant is almost certainly gone, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Based on how things have been going in the USA covid-wise, I don't think it's possible we're going to have a full season schedule with full stadiums by the time April rolls around.

They'll split the difference. I fully expect MLB to try its hardest to do a 162-game schedule, but there's no way stadiums will be at full capacity, and the league will use public gathering limits (e.g., Chicago) as an excuse to try to get the MLBPA to agree to something like a 20 percent universal salary rollback.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

So here's the question that's gonna make a lot of Cubs fans angry at me: if the market is such that the Cardinals don't think Wong is worth his $12.5M option, do the Cubs think Rizzo is worth his $16.5M one?

Rizzo is probably safe because he is 100 percent the PR face of the franchise. They'll exercise his option as an attempt to save face and say that they're still willing to spend within COVID restraints while dumping Bryant and others for pennies on the dollar.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://twitter.com/MLBBruceLevine/status/1322316240036220928?s=20

in case anyone is interested this pitcher does not throw to first, not a lot of people know that, joe

thanks for the world series though

There was no way they were picking up that option, not with Lester's decline; he's a #3 starter at best at this point. They're going to offer him a $10 million "we tried" one-year deal and then watch him walk to, like, Atlanta or Miami while they trot out a rotation of Hendricks / Darvish / Mills / Adzolay / and, I don't know, Gio Gonzalez or some poo poo FA pickup.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 31, 2020

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mustached Demon posted:

Florida's a good place for old guys I hear. So is arizona.

Lester lives in Atlanta and has made it clear he'd like to be closer to home. The Cubs aren't going to spend poo poo this year and Epstein has made it clear he's walking and transitioning the team over to Hoyer so they'll happily trot out a poo poo rotation and let Lester go back to the southeast.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

To keep Cubsposting, they were talking about trading Willson to save some money. He really improved his framing this year, and with his bat and arm I think he might be one of the more valuable Cubs.

Contreras was known to be on the trading block last offseason (and Bryant was very nearly shipped to the Phillies at the same time), but I imagine the Cubs are going to hold onto him because there's a non-zero chance that Bryant is traded, Rizzo walks and they need Bote and Caratini to take over third and first base full-time. Contreras has also, as you said, really improved as a receiver; a few years ago, Lester and I think Darvish absolutely refused to have him catch them and they were perfectly comfortable with him this year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

e: full-time first baseman Victor Caratini is so insane that even I can't fathom it.

Ross loving loves Caratini. It's not outside the realm of possibility. I still think Rizzo stays because he's the Cubs' biggest PR personality, but I really think it's possible that he goes and we get Caratini booting routine grounders all year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Theo itching to leave has to have been the worst-kept secret in Chicago for like a year.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

They supposedly offered him $200 million. So it's not like they want him to go. Him and his agent think he should be getting Rendon money despite not being nearly as good as him.

That $200 million offer never happened, both Boras and the team denied it. It was something silly made up by a beat writer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

also Marvin Miller kept getting denied until after he died

But I think both Santo and Allen dying before getting in is way worse, since Miller was kind of lukewarm about being inducted, but Santo clearly wanted to get in and didn't until he was already dead.

Miller hated the concept of the Hall in general, and consistently said that if he were ever voted in, he'd boycott his own induction ceremony. His son Peter spoke to him like a week before he died and confirmed that, if anything, Miller's feelings regarding the Hall had become even more negative, because he was disgusted at how sanctimonious the writers have become and how brazenly political the whole process has become.

I recall Miller was especially incensed at the Hall establishing a special Negro League committee that more or less had the sole purpose of getting Buck O'Neil into the Hall ... and that committee wound up putting a white owner in and left O'Neil out in the cold.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I remember in a previous MLB thread the consensus was that Joe Jackson was in on the Black Sox scandal, but I don't recall any actual concrete articles to that effect, and the Eight Myths Out article seems pretty definitive. What's the story, there?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

surprised to see it in the reactionary paper that has been pretty sycophantic and from a former cubs beat writer who never has actual takes, but the Trib published a column excoriating the ricketts family for being so close to trump. good luck if you click on this navigating the tribune's minigame of closing videos and ads even if you have a blocker.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...5~2~4~art%20yes

e: sullivan just dropped a "kyrie irving was right" column, he is now Woke.

Sullivan's developed a little bit more of a bite ever since he took over the In the Wake of the News column last year (he was really pissed that the Tribune shitcanned David Haugh), so occasionally he actually drops a worthwhile take. Most of the Tribune's writers are godawful--their Bears beat guy is absolutely intolerable and their Cubs guy, Mark Gonzales, will never pass up an opportunity to suck up to the Rickettses--but Sullivan is ... non-objectionable, I guess? He's a lot better than he used to be during his beat days, when his gimmick was basically "old man yells at cloud," like an even shittier Steve Rosenbloom.

It still boggles my mind that he's a past president of the BBWAA.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I thought I remembered Schwarbs having defensive value. Was that just 3rd base coaches running on a strong left field arm that was always out of position?

Schwarber has almost zero ability to judge the angle to take on fly balls, and because he either cannot or will not keep his weight down, his mobility is limited as hell. Every now and again he'll show a cannon in left field and then immediately afterwards he'll toss a bizarre lawn dart.

Pair that with the fact that I have better chances of stumbling onto a million bucks in my bedroom closet than he does of hitting left-handed pitching, he doesn't even project well as a career DH.

So long, Schwarbs, you were fun for a year but ultimately you suck.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 10, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Popete posted:

I think Schwarber is a change of scenery break out candidate. He had some good years hitting in Chicago but it just never quite all came together for him. He'll be 28 this season so there's still time for him to develop.

How often does a player suddenly put it all together at 28? Schwarber's strike zone judgment, his plate discipline, his fielding ... they're pretty much all known quantities at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

How. How do people still type this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

no one is named "hudson head" get out of here

Hilton Head Island is a real place (and, remarkably, it's not named after the hotel guy).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shiroc posted:

What is actually involved in an athlete's physical? I know when I get one it always feels like a waste of time but I'd assume they would be more involved for players.

Comprehensive blood tests, checks on heart functions, stress test, metabolic functions like liver and kidneys, basic stretching / range of motion stuff, turn your head and cough while the doc looks at your balls. Relatively simple stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

chilihead posted:

Is it possible he got hit in the head with a line drive? i remember legit thinking he was cool way back in 2003. I just can't understand what happened.

Possibly many of us on this forum were online gamers back then and were completely fooled by this asshat.

Bloody sock nostalgia was a powerful thing for a ridiculously long time (and there are also a lot of fond memories of him wrecking poo poo for seven or eight innings in Game 7 of the 2001 World Series, until he melted down and then Randy Johnson came storming out of the bullpen in relief like a man utterly possessed and everyone watching was like "Oh, poo poo").

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

alpha_destroy posted:

Deadening the ball so we have more balls in play is very strange to me. Lowering the game run rate while maintaining the strikeout rate is not going to make the game more interesting. And I'm afraid that's exactly what will happen.

I'm not in favor of deadening the ball unless it is in addition to another change. Cracking down on foreign substances. Lowering the mound. Moving the mound. Tightening the zone. Whatever. But messing with the ball alone isn't enough imo.

Edit: also, no casual fan i know has complained about homeruns. Some have complained about strikeouts. But not homeruns.

"Solution in search of a problem" is a pretty good descriptor of just about every rule change that Rob Manfred has proposed or imposed.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

tadashi posted:

I think this is the first year PECOTA hasn't hated the Cubs In a while and so I'm immediately suspicious

I wonder how much Kolten Wong would move the Cubs up in the standings if they had signed him instead of Milwaukee?

Hasn't PECOTA been broken ever since Silver left BP and founded FiveThirtyEight?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mustached Demon posted:

Trump 2024 fund has plenty of cash now apparently.

His campaign raised more than $200 million in the first 30 days after the election, yes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

So is MLB Opening Day confirmed or is that still being negotiated?

All 30 teams are scheduled to have games on April 1. But God only knows if that'll actually happen; pitchers and catchers start reporting over the next few days, so get ready for a wave of positive COVID tests.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Shrecknet posted:

Just go back to rules-as-written: batters can request time to step out at go on a Nomar-level fiddle with their gear, but umps are under no compunction to grant it.

This is the thing. A pitch clock isn't needed, the problem is hitters who take time to adjust their gloves, tap dust off the cleats, adjust their grip and scratch their nuts after every goddamn pitch. It's already in the Official Rules that a batter needs permission to step out of the box, the umpires just refuse to actually enforce it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IcePhoenix posted:

I think salary cap is fine IF it's accompanied by a salary floor.

Salary caps are inherently anti-labor by definition. gently caress that noise. They're nothing more than an artificial construct and limitation upon labor's earnings that owners use as a cudgel to save them from themselves, because somehow it's the players' fault that teams occasionally hand out bad contracts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GoatSeeGuy posted:

they’ve already been taken to the cleaners in the last couple CBAs thanks to Tony Clark.

Don't forget Michael Weiner, he did a lot of damage, too (and he was Clark's teacher / mentor, which explains why Clark sucks poo poo at bargaining). Weiner, for example, was completely in the pocket of the superstar bloc of the union, which is why he eagerly rolled over to accept the qualifying offer as part of the CBA like ten years ago, because he was too blind to see that it completely turbofucked players who weren't megastars.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Javy Baez retweeted this and it's not technically baseball but whatever, just postin'

https://twitter.com/javy23baez/status/1361817423813304321

How is softball pitching motion a thing? It just looks unnatural in every way and my shoulder hurts just from watching it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/PWSullivan/status/1362118071738109954

No idea who the other two scrubs are but Hughes gonna get to call some games on TV this year which owns. He and JD will be an interesting duo.

Chris Myers is the Fox Sports guy who was originally reported to be taking over for Kasper, but the Cubs backtracked from it after some initial outcry because he's said some really lovely, racist things.

DeShaies is probably liking the new partnerships. He would occasionally get incredibly ornery on the air when Kasper would bring up advanced stats, and both Myers and Hughes pretty much avoid anything beyond OPS. Although Sciambi sucks, so the Cubs' TV presence is going to suck in general this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mattfl posted:

Go for it :)

I think I bought in with you in the past?