Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Shiroc posted:

When Tomlin was in Cleveland, I heard a lot about how he was a good clubhouse guy and mentor for the young pitchers. The Braves staff is mostly younger guys, right?

I will tell you he’s one of the nicest guys in the world and a great clubhouse guy. One of my favorite memories was being in the Indians clubhouse the night he made his major league debut. I had season tickets and it was a baaaaad year, and my daughter and I moved down a bunch of rows - ended up sitting with his mom and brothers. Tomlin pitched a gem - 6+ shutout innings against the Yankees. His dad came down from the owners box after he was taken out of the game and sat with everyone, and ended up inviting me and my kid to come down on the field to meet Josh. Plans changed and ESPN wanted an interview in the clubhouse, so we ended up going down there with the family. Sat there in the player’s family waiting room - my daughter played with CC sabathia’s kid and we watched nearly every player on both teams come through. When it was all done, we went in the clubhouse to meet him - he hugged his mom and dad, hugged his brothers, and then came to me and my daughter with a weird look on his face. We explained the situation, and he shook our hands and signed my daughters hat and chatted with us for a while. We finally left with the family - his dad gave me his email address and told me I was a friend of the family now :)

Funny postscript - about 3 years later we were at a season ticket holders event, and ended up in line to get Josh’s autograph. We got to the line, and I said “man, you may not remember me but”. He cut me off and said “oh yeah, you’re the guy who was there with my family when I made my debut. We still joke about how it was closest family and 2 complete strangers 😂”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

FUUUUUCCCKKKKK YOOOOOUUUUUU

EAT poo poo

you loving ted cruz looking motherfucker

I wish someone would have told poor Steve Cohen before he flushed 2 billion down the toilet on a guaranteed money-loser. What an idiot!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Gatts posted:

I should probably check to see what the Indians are doing

That’ll kill 3 seconds for you.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

That's the only bad thing. They should have been recognized from the beginning, but a lot of the stats will be approximations.

I’m torn because this is obviously the right move but some of the stats are going to be wonky. A lot of those guys counted barnstorming stats, winter league stats, and traveling team stats so who honestly knows what’s “official” and what’s not.

The sad thing was that by most estimates, 50-75% of the Negro League players would have absolutely been regulars in the other two major leagues in the 30s and 40s. How many destitute teams that couldn’t come close to competing would have turned baseball upside down by bringing them on? The Pirates, Phillies, and Browns famously turned down offers from Negro League owners to sell them their players that would have made them instant World Series contenders. The entire concept of baseball and the “New York dynasty” era would have been altered.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I remember in 1992 that Atlanta was having an impossible time hitting Tim Wakefield.

Atlanta brought in Niekro, to see if that could help.

They couldn't hit Niekro either.

Wasn’t Niekro the one who helped Wakefield figure out the knuckler tho? I swear I remember reading something about Phil coming in to teach him the knuckleball and Tim really taking to it.

I’m just happy I got to see him pitch at old Cleveland Stadium back in ‘87. I remember getting his 1987 Topps card and wondering how this man was still able to play baseball at what seemed like 82 years old.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Nodoze posted:

Same thing happened to the White Sox

Along those lines - what team is the “worst” post-war World Series winner ever? Counting out the 1981 strike year and the cheating Astros, it’s gotta be either the 87 Twins or 05 White Sox, right? Maybe the 11 Cardinals?

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

yeah the 06 Cardinals were the first team that came to mind for me

That’s the one I was thinking of. Don’t know why I always conflate the 06 and 11 teams.

I’m not saying any of these teams were “bad” per se. there’s obviously a lot of luck that goes with the talent and skill to even get there, let alone win it all. Some teams obviously have a lot more luck than others tho - those 06 Cardinals are a perfect example.

When I think back about “dominant” teams that won the Series, the 1987 Twins, 2005 White Sox and 2006 Cardinals don’t exactly come to mind. They fall more into that “wow, how the hell did that happen?” category.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Who is the announcer at 7:20 of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyobY4gBHcM&t=440s

e: pretty sure this guy was the voice that narrated the highlight portions of "Inside the NFL" back when that show first started. And maybe some other NFL highlight films, like superbowl highlights or team season highlight reels?

That would be the great Harry Kalas of the Phillies.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Shiroc posted:

One time I saw a game in Cleveland against the Astros in 2014 and a guy kept screaming "YOU SUCK GROSSMAN" of all people on the team. It's the only thing I've thought of every time his name comes up.

I was in the bleachers at an Indians game against the Orioles and some drunk dude was giving the business to Luke Scott without mercy. About the 4th inning he goes “hey Scott! Is that 30 on your jersey the number of dudes you slept with?” and proceeded to get goon-armed out of the stadium by security.

The best was 1995 when we played the Twins in a 17 inning marathon. There were a bunch of Sigma Nu frat guys in the bleachers riding Kirby Puckett for a few innings and he was waving them off. One of them yelled out “your butt looks like you just ate a Puckett of chicken!” - he turned and yelled “all right I’ll give you that one”

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
This is exactly the kind of outcome I expected and I’m still livid. They should be embarrassed at this point and so should Major League Baseball.

In one 3 month span we dumped one of the games’ best closers, a great setup guy, our on-base machine starting 1st baseman, our all-world shortstop, our second best starting pitcher, our starting second baseman - and we got.... TWO SHORTSTOPS??? And a two low-level prospects????

Less than 5 years ago, this was a young cheap team that came within a rain delay of winning the World Series and was a playoff contender every year since. This team is now Jose Ramirez (who’ll probably be deadline trade bait), Shane Bieber, and the Columbus Clippers.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Strasburgs UCL posted:

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1349802036880056320?s=20

Just what the Mets needed: a slugger who can't effectively play defense at any position. They certainly don't have enough of those.

The Indians needed literally all 3 of those holes filled and couldn’t even shell out a million five MAX for him. This off-season becomes more frustrating every day

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Saddest baseball news possible. If you don’t get chills listening to Vin Scully’s call of 715 then you’re dead inside. One of the greatest players and ambassadors American sports has ever had.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Watching his mom jump into him and hug him gets me every time. 🥲

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Scott Rolen at 53% gently caress outta here BBWAA

Seriously between him and Sheffield it’s a loving joke. I can see people not going all in on Helton because of the Coors factor but one of the best 3rd baseman to ever play and a member of the 500 home run club with no steroid association????

Anyone turning in a blank ballot needs their BBWAA membership taken away immediately.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

What? Sheffield admitted to being a BALCO client.

Well I learned something new today! Maybe I just blocked it out because I always liked the guy. I retract my statement about Sheff but I stand by Helton

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Troxartas posted:

This is disgusting, they really want no fans left https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1354280183210061831

They’re allegedly inquiring about Jose Ramirez, too. It’s a race to see Which fan base will erode faster!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

Pitchers and catchers in three weeks! Or maybe not!!

Schroedinger’s Spring Training

Featuring the Schroe-Dinger Machine, where the ball is both a home run and a long fly out.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Red posted:

Mattingly, Tanaka, and... Mussina?

Mattingly was the saddest. Dude broke in during the ‘83 season, was a beast for all of the 80s on some brutal teams, wrecked his back and lost his power, and retired right before the dynasty started. He made the playoffs once in his career (his last year, and never made it out of the ALDS), retired, and then watched the Yankees win 4 World Series in 5 years 😩

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Mystery Team strikes again!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Indians reportedly went over their budget to sign Eddie Rosario. Their payroll is still south of $50 million

A Major League Baseball team valued at 1.4 billion in the year 2021 has a budgeted payroll of less than $50 million. That was considered low end over a decade ago. I am terrified for the future of my franchise.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

bawfuls posted:

I doubt it. That rule was implemented in 1894 at a time when rules were changing every year in response to play. They had only settled on 4 balls to a walk in 1889 (it was as high as 9 a decade earlier). Guys started foul bunting indefinitely and people thought "this is dumb, we need a rule against it" so they made one.

Just look at how significant some of the rule added/modified around that time were:

1893:
Pitching distance increased from 50 feet to 60 feet 6 inches.
The pitching box was eliminated and a rubber slab 12 inches by 4 inches was substituted.
The pitcher was required to place his rear foot against the slab.
The rule allowing a flat side to a bat was rescinded and the requirement that the bat be round and wholly of hard wood was substituted.

1895:
Pitching slab was enlarged to 24 inches by 6 inches.
Bats were permitted to be 2 3/4 inches in diameter and not to exceed 42 inches.
Infield-fly rule was adopted.
A held foul tip was classified as a strike.

This is why it’s so hard to take any pitching records from the 19th century seriously and why they made the delineation of the “modern major league record”. It was a completely different game back then and how you had guys pitching 70 complete games in a season.

Looking into 19th century pitching is a treasure trove of amazing stories, including the first 300 game winner and the first PED user - Pud Galvin!

“A 2006 NPR article referred to Galvin as "the first baseball player to be widely known for using a performance-enhancing substance." The Washington Post reported that Galvin used the Brown-Séquard elixir, which contained monkey testosterone, before a single game in 1889. However, no one seemed bothered by the use of the elixir, and the newspaper practically endorsed it after the game, saying that Galvin's performance was "the best proof yet furnished of the value of the discovery."

Monkey testosterone!!!

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Holy gently caress at those years. Wow.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Johnny Bravo posted:

14 years drat

Has there ever been a guaranteed contract that long for that much money in major sports? The NHL gives out long rear end deals all the time but never for that amount. The NBA gives out a ton of money but over the short term.

Good for Tatis but if he blows a knee out in year two... yikes.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

seiferguy posted:

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1362482376509513729?s=19

Yu having some galaxy brain takes that's still better than anything Manfred has proposed.

Yu Darvish pushes for Rule 34 in baseball? Oh boy....

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Johnny Bravo posted:

Not all that surprising, I think the only way he plays another year after his contract is up (holy gently caress it's finally the last year of that contract) is if he was within reach of 700 home runs. It hurts just watching the dude do routine baseball things and has for a while now.

BBR has him projected for 18 home runs this year, which would put him at 680. If he could get to 20 this year, it’s not a stretch to imagine he could do one more season, especially if the NL gets the DH in 2022.

Even if he doesn’t - god drat what a career. Those first 10 years in St Louis were off the charts - 8 years with an OPS over 1.000!!! He’ll finish with about 3300 hits and the 680 homers and we’ll never really know how old he actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007

Chamale posted:

I looked it up and you're right. If a pitcher debuted in 1996 and tied the MLB leader in wins every year, he'd have 498 wins.

The premodern pitching records like 511 wins, or 73 complete games in one season, will never be broken unless the MLB allows a cyborg pitcher. Cy Young pitched most of his games before a foul ball counted as a strike. There was still controversy about whether the sacrifice bunt should be banned. He got 150 wins without ever making a putout at first base, because the pitcher covering first hadn't been invented yet.

To put it in another perspective - CC Sabathia was a true ace and massive workhorse that ended his nearly 20 year career with 251 wins. He would have to come back and have his entire career ALL OVER AGAIN, and STILL would be 10 wins away from breaking it.

It blows my mind how much those pre-Ruth era guys pitched. There’s no way ANY of those records get touched ever again.