Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This is all killing my interest in MLB overall. I've already gone one year without going to any games. If the season starts on time, it probably wouldn't be open to fans or just wildly unsafe to be at still so I'll probably have another year I don't go to any games.

I only watched Cleveland games on mlb.tv this year and since they're dedicated to being garbage, that would be easier to stop too.

I've gone from "love baseball enough to try to travel to every stadium" to "meh, gently caress it." Good work owners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Posting Huff here never results in meaningful conversation. Its just "look at this piece of poo poo!" followed by "please don't." If you want to post shithead chuds and make fun of them with an audience for that, CSPAM has you covered.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would have liked to have seen the unexplained Astros minors baseball skill training. All of the young players lined up and told to listen for the bang but not obviously react.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Love that Bauer is in a mall hat store without a mask for stupid self promotion. Please stay off teams I like for this and many other reasons.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

elentar posted:

Hooray for eating innings at a league-average or slightly worse level.

Apparently is a good clubhouse presence? I dunno, when the official site has to reach for off-the-field stuff like that it's usually an admission that there's no on-the-field reason to celebrate.

When Tomlin was in Cleveland, I heard a lot about how he was a good clubhouse guy and mentor for the young pitchers. The Braves staff is mostly younger guys, right?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cano going from sure Hall of Famer to huge dipshit is a real turn. Jerry Dipoto conning the old Mets into taking his contract makes up for everything else.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The downward pressure on salaries will get so bad that "small market" teams will try to say they can't pay above league minimum for anybody and really they need to negotiate that down too.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was only in Denver for a weekend but based on how people talked about 'Nolan', trading him to any team seems like it would be hugely damaging. It feels like an *intensely* larger value to the Rockies to try to keep him and make him happy enough than trying to get even a really good prospect return.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean this is the same league where Mookie was traded for peanuts and Lindor has been shopped around for three years. Owners don’t give a gently caress about fan happiness because they know you’ll eventually come crawling back out of misplaced ~*team loyalty*~.

I think there is a difference there because Boston and Cleveland had been building the "uh, we can't pay for them we are poor and they want too much :(" narrative for years beforehand to lay the groundwork. Colorado already got the long term extension for Arenado and already are positioned to keep him his whole career. If he takes the opt out, it shifts the blame to Arenado in dumb narrative but trading him puts it all on ownership.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I want Omar because its a Hall of Guys I Like damnit.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Outside of wanting him from having been a kid in Cleveland in the 90s, Omar in the Hall would be fun because the Mariners would be completely shameless about celebrating it even though his time in Seattle is not at all what he's known for now.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I remember Bartolo the hot young rookie for the Indians and him still pitching effectively decades later is a delight that I think we're owed after the last few years.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Santana was really good in 2019 and solid pretty much every other year. I don't think you can really pin anything too meaningful on last season just because everything was a mess. That seems like a good deal for KC with ~*veteran leadership*~. Cleveland is going to replace him with ???.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

This led me to see what other Cleveland players are available on Cameo. People are paying Kevin Plawecki $29 to talk to them. Kenny Lofton is $75, which makes me wonder how much he got paid to hang out at the Kingsford Booth at Playball Park for a couple hours.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Guardians feels likely because the script I already looks close to a G and it ends in "dians" so that can largely keep the typeface and aesthetics the same.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The guardians are a set of big stone men on the bridge into Cleveland

Its not an exciting name but Spiders sucks and I'd prefer it to not be a gimmick like Rocks.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Yeah, its the same move that they did with Chief Wahoo.

The Chief Wahoo stuff was done in incredibly cynical bad faith too because I was there for the ASG and they hid all of the Chief Wahoo stuff at the merch booths but when I was back in Cleveland a month later for a regular game, they had TONS of it everywhere.

They're probably going to be selling so much Indians branded, Chief Wahoo having stuff even after the name change that really nothing changed at all. gently caress this team.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The Cleveland You Have To Love Us Because The Cavs Are Bad Again gently caress The Browns Are Good Nows

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Atlanta Lumberjacks and they can even keep the hatchet if they restyle it slightly.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yikes

https://twitter.com/jay_jaffe/status/1339216210949529600?s=21

I had always wondered why he was fired from that coaching job and never got another one

:( :( :(

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It seems like the higher level negro leagues would have had a similar mix of superlative talents like Paige and Gibson, mediocre guys and then the ones that wouldn't have gotten to the majors at all without the color line. I had the impression that the color line was a lot about keeping the exceptional black players out so that the low quality white players could stay in.

I'd be surprised if either was strictly better talentwise than the other, just because the modern situation where wealth more directly gives you better training/equipment/time doesn't seem like it would have been as true then.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Bregor posted:

Now I can’t even vote for him for that!

Get hosed, Omar

If anything bad comes out about Jim Thome, I'm going to just go ahead and abandon all of my positive memories of Cleveland baseball.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"Our fans have gone a year without being able to go to any games and it may be another half or year more if everything goes well. Surely they will love to come back to the games to see our rosters gutted, their favorites gone, but excited to buy jerseys of Chucklefuck SomeGuy"

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
MLB locked in a game of chicken where nobody wants good players because they cost too much. Nobody wants mediocre players because they aren't good players. Nobody wants minor leaguers because you have to feed them. MLB is probably studying Blaseball and trying figure out how to sell jerseys and tickets to 'premium experiences' at the stadium without actually having a single player on payroll.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Cleveland and the Cubs being reflections of each other in how they both would have taken the exact paths that they did no matter who had won in 2016. Both see their window starting to close, so they actively slam it shut themselves early for cost savings.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
As far as the luck thing, the 2016 Cleveland team was a ridiculous confluence of events. Their 2 and 3 pitchers were both hurt and out, Brantley was out, Gomes had a broken hand and Napoli stopped hitting at all. They got carried by Kluber and Miller putting in godlike performances, with also incredible backup from Shaw and Allen, until they all just gave out, potentially shortening ALL of their careers afterwards.

If Cleveland had managed to hold it together just a little longer, there would be statues for at least Kluber, Miller and Rajai Davis already.

The 2017 team was better but got completely stomped by the Yankees in the division series and that was that.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I got an email survey a couple days from MLB that was basically "do you believe in covid?" "Would the governor or president saying MLB games are fine to attend make you come?" "Will masks being required make you more or less likely to come?" "What is your political affiliation?" etc.

At the very least, they're going to do the same thing they did for the Texas hosted playoffs in every city and state they are allowed to do so, no matter the actual health concerns.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Miz Kriss posted:

Every time I check the n/v here or in the discord I get anxious that the Cubs have done something stupid yet again.

If the Cubs do anything, you'd know by there being many, many, many, many more new posts than on an average day.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
One time I saw a game in Cleveland against the Astros in 2014 and a guy kept screaming "YOU SUCK GROSSMAN" of all people on the team. It's the only thing I've thought of every time his name comes up.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
They may as well just trade Bieber at this point too because he'll be on his way out before the team is any good. And Ramirez.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm glad I decided to forsake Cleveland going forward for Da Mets after they decided to keep the name another year. Love Da Mets Baby. We got a new shortstop and we're gonna win the Series.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would assume that one of the new guys in Cleveland is the second baseman now. Whoever is the worse glove.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Is the problem for the Phillies in willingness to spend money or that they keep busting when they decide to? I hadn't followed the NL East too closely recently but it seemed like they were putting up money for guys. Its like ones like Arrieta who tanked or Harper who is a good not great player.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

bawfuls posted:

Giants motto extremely honest, makes me picture baseball in a post-modern neofeudal dystopia

Ah, so baseball in San Francisco today?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I hope Lindor does well, the Mets extend him and banishing the Wilpons lets them at least reach the level of basic competence that lets them reasonably compete with the roster they have. Lindor is such a good guy that he deserves it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Since I started the whole Bryce Harper thing, when I said good not great was mostly a reflection on how when I got back into baseball, it was always TROUT OR HARPER?! Now Trout is firmly, absolutely much better than Harper, there are other players consistently or year to year better than Harper. Going by bwar right at the moment, Harper is tied with Kyle Seager. Obviously Seager is tailing off already and Harper has a ton of time left but Seager's prime years were more consistently high than Harper's were to date.

Seager was a good player in his prime, absolutely a valuable player to have, a local star but not really someone you'd think of as a great. If Harper puts up his current average numbers his whole career, you'd be less likely to be like "how the gently caress does he not have more playoff games or championships?" that we do for Trout. Nothing about how pay or whatever, I'm glad he got paid for being a solid, valuable, good right fielder.

Talking about Harper as the biggest star in baseball seems like a weird holdover from half a decade ago. It would absolutely seem like Betts, Judge, or maybe Lindor (especially on the Mets. He already does national commercials) would be well past him.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The most fitting next stage is for Harper to get an extremely unfortunate injury next season so the conversation of 'what could he have been for the back half of his career' can be endless speculation and debate no matter what he actually does.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Being a well loved Mariner seems like a good gig because everybody ends up getting some non specific job for life afterwards. Love Kuma though, glad he's getting paid to hang around and do baseball stuff.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Does Kluber have any HOF case if he is able to get to 40 as a solid contributor? He got started late but his peak was really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

GPTribefan posted:

The Indians needed literally all 3 of those holes filled and couldn’t even shell out a million five MAX for him. This off-season becomes more frustrating every day

They have Bobby Bradley who can't hit, Jake Bauers who can't hit or field, and Josh Naylor who seems okay. Problem solved.