Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

It's such a dumb story too because even if you believe him, it reflects incredibly poorly on his leadership abilities. This isn't like "one guy on the team took PED's and I didn't realize it" or something, this is "there was a complex sign stealing operation involving over half the players, the bench coach, and a setup in the clubhouse to steal signs (using a sign-decrypting algorithm the FO developed) that the manager was also aware and not happy about, and somehow I was completely in the dark about this for an entire season."

Buddy... that's not a good look.

e. That said yeah there's no way the Astros let it get to discovery, even if they do have solid evidence Luhnow knew. He's going to make a quick buck on the settlement.
the scheme also directly involved the front office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

LOLOLOL godamn we need a drunk TLR smilie around here

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jerry is like of course I knew he was a drunk when I hired him, everyone did

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1325986544335921153

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

perfect for :TLR:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Managers of the year are Kevin Cash and Don Mattingly. By far the silliest award MLB gives out, seems appropriate they'd give one to the manager who's team experienced the largest COVID outbreak.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

*bursts into thread panting out of breath*

I have the most important news of the winter right here

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1326555376289001472

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

davecrazy you need a new avatar for this bold new MetsWorld

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So has any team ever won the World Series the year they traded away the 2nd and 3rd place Cy Young finishers before?

Also feels crazy that a franchise as old as Cincinnati has never had a Cy Young winner before now.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The only teams left without a Cy Young Award winner are Miami, Colorado, and Texas.

If only Jose hadn't decided to joyride his boat while coked up, he might have brought one to the Marlins.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Ubaldo Jimenez came in 3rd in 2010. I don't know if any other Colorado pitchers came that close.
and he had a 1.83 ERA at the end of June.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

For whatever reason I think MVP and CY award shares are a neat and interesting thing to keep track of.

So some notable updates from this year's voting:

Mike Trout's 41% share this year brings his career total to 6.32 MVP award shares, passing Willie Mays and putting him 5th all time (behind Bonds/Musial/Pujols/Williams). Trout needs only another 64% to pass those next three and move into second all time behind Barrold (who's safe with 9.30).

Freeman's surprisingly (imo) large 97.6% share increases his career total to 2.276, taking him from 189th all time up to 78th, sandwiched between Sandy Koufax and Adrian Beltre.

Mookie Betts' 63.8% share bumps him to 2.788, good for 46th all time, between Roberto Clemente (2.80) and Jonny Bench/Derek Jeter (2.77).

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 13, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If anything, I'm more offended over the one guy who had Tatis only tenth.
yeah that's no question some kind of old guy statement vote

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kim Ng was an assistant GM with the Dodgers and interviewed for the GM position when they hired Ned Colletti instead, 15 years ago. So yeah this is a long time coming.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Dodgers finally won again so Tommy’s cursed soul is being released.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm still extremely pissed at Tommy Lasorda for turning his son's death into yet another forgotten statistic of the AIDS epidemic. What a waste.
The organization of course was never going to have the conviction to distance themselves from him over this, but once he finally dies we at least don’t have to see him carted out there a couple times a year to soak up applause. And thankfully he’s no longer the last Dodgers manager to win a World Series.

This franchise has plenty of other “living legends” to milk nostalgia from without having to elevate one with such a reprehensible personal history.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Hall of Fame ballot was released today and I have decided that Buehrle-Morris comps are the best way to troll Jack Morris and his stans this year.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Globies/status/1328354639033626624

he can really do it all

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Interesting choice for SD. He's got 4 years of service time right now, so they already had control of him through any potential TJS recovery. Seems like the team is expressing some confidence in Clevenger and offering him stability during his recovery.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Wasn't that last year or am I going insane?

Their induction ceremony would have been this past summer but was postponed a year because of the pandemic.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is Theo gonna go try his hand at soccer like Billy Beane?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

This is perfect timing for the Dodgers to welcome back Yu Darvish. Ricketts clearly handing down a decree to slash payroll so he can probably be had for cheap. LA fans have our title now so the baying morons who would boo Yu over 2017 should be chill now.

:getin:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Johnny Bravo posted:

There are actually Dodgers fans that still have animosity towards Yu over 2017? That's insane lol
every fanbase has awful people and they can always be found on twitter dot com

Mustached Demon posted:

If they bring him back, they should give him a ring.
I agree they should trade for Yu and then win the World Series in 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol all those infamous hostile front office takeovers happening lately

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

As Cody said when this happened in October, he's dislocated that shoulder several times before. Last year he did it diving for a play on defense at 1B which the team cited as a reason they wanted to keep him in CF more.

Hopefully this cleans up whatever's going on in there so his shoulder stops popping out so much.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Don't sleep on Kaitlyn's Jewish All-Stars Team.
and yet she failed to draft the goat Jewish baseballer

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the best part of that video is his audience walking away as the story goes on

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/1329212829354770436
Impeccable timing, right after the initial wave of championship swag spending is complete.

There are no good billionaires.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 19, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Another winter of Arenado Dodgers rumors. I still think it's unlikely because the Rockies will want a kings ransom to send him to LA to counter the monumental PR hit they'd take for it.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1329772875402911745

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

why was Kris Bryant so terrible this year?

that is.... not great

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah it's been floated every winter for years and I just don't see it. The Dodgers are the big baddie in the division. They are THE villain to fanbases in the rest of the west. Trading your franchise cornerstone to that team is inconceivably stupid, and doubly so because there is no reality where the Rockies manage to swindle Andrew Friedman of all people into over-paying.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

are BP fastballs typically 95+?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Trading Arenado to the loving Dodgers would be a death blow to the Rockies franchise. Not exaggerating. People here would literally stop rooting for the team.
How do Colorado fans feel about SF these days? Would they meltdown if Farhan snuck in and grabbed Arenado?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

I've been going to games at Coors for a long time and even when the Giants were winning championships, it was clear that LA was the main archrival. Rockies fans are chill and fatalistic and I've never seen anyone being an rear end to visiting fans, but there's definitely an edge when the Dodgers are in town that isn't there when SF is playing. Not sure why that is tbh.
This is what I suspected but I can't really put a finger on why. Thanks for the insight.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean this is the same league where Mookie was traded for peanuts and Lindor has been shopped around for three years. Owners don’t give a gently caress about fan happiness because they know you’ll eventually come crawling back out of misplaced ~*team loyalty*~.
Trading Mookie was a huge gently caress up but it's unfair to Verdugo to call him "peanuts," the guy just put up 1.9 bWAR in 53 games and garnered downballot MVP votes.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 20, 2020

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is it just me or is the Stanton trade too high on this list at #2? The rest of the top-5 are:

1) The most infamous transaction in baseball history
3) Inner circle Hall of Famer and franchise icon (though past his peak)
4) Inner circle Hall of Famer before his peak
5) Inner circle Hall of Famer before his peak

Actually #3 is too high as well imo

https://twitter.com/nickgroke/status/1329825469642932224

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

what I'm really saying is Pedro for Delino was second only to Ruth to New York in the bad trades pantheon

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah trading Seaver at 32 was surely terrible PR but like... the guy is still remembered as a Met and wears a NY hat in the Hall of Fame. His best years were as a Met and he won a World Sereis there.

Meanwhile LA and Montreal are afterthoughts to Pedro and Randy respectively. Plus those two are both teams for whom keeping the pitcher in the bad trade might have been the difference in pushing them over the top.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dee Gordon had one good season in Miami, when he won the batting title. And it turned out he was taking steroids.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Cubs won a labor dispute with Bryant and also somehow let it drag on for like four years. Seems obvious the team hosed up that relationship early on

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

mentholmoose posted:

Is there a Hall of Fame thread?

Because you can debate Bonds and such if you want, but voting for nobody is a special move:
https://twitter.com/notmrtibbs/status/1330279971198210048?s=21

ultimate small hall move lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Reality will come crashing down on Mets fans soon enough, might as well let them indulge in the fantasy of the Benevolent Billionaire for now.