Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Can’t wait for the White Sox to mutiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kirios posted:

I will laugh at the Yankees forever if they don't resign DJ. That would be a momentously stupid decision.

I mean, if they acquire Lindor then it’s fine to let him walk. To let him walk without a plan would be pretty bad

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Snell was going to get traded no matter what because of the upcoming salary commitments. Lord knows that Tampa values a clean salary sheet than actual good players you have to pay

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

seriously, the thing that pisses me off about Tampa is that they would pull this move in a normal year. their success is a stain on the sport

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Somehow MLB teams will still cry poor

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jaysonst/status/1337113563693985792?s=21

Dave Dombrowski about to do his thing yet again

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Holder is the very definition of a JAG. He was okay at soaking up the middle innings but he's got no real out pitch. Game can get away from him easily

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think it's poor form to make sweeping claims about a player in their prime having a bad 2020 season when said season was 60 games long amid a pandemic

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/dennistlin/status/1343410402500042752?s=21

Completely expected

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The Rays being seen as the ideal for all franchises just turns me off the sport so much. I know we all root for the laundry, but this poo poo only works if there are players you care about.

Why bother caring about the prospects coming in if they’re going to be gone in three or four years when they might make a little bit of money? Why do we have to be constantly reminded about the business side of the sport that’s supremely unfair to the player and see it praised? gently caress the Rays

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Kirios posted:

Not gonna lie, that's the most one sided trade I've seen in a loooooong time.

The Blake Snell trade was yesterday :v:

But seriously, how long will the work stoppage be and what emerges from the wreckage? You know this is the last year of baseball as we know it so far

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

General Dog posted:

I tire a bit of the media and blogosphere lining up to poo poo on the Rays. You can criticize their methods, but they pretty consistently field a competitive team. You can't ask for much more than that. Maybe save the venom for the myriad of teams that are both cheap and incompetent. If my team could expand the playoff window for 4-5 years at the cost of the chance for a ring in the immediate future, I'd probably support that.

the problem is that they're easily the most cynical team in the game right now. They extended Snell purely to boost his trade value. Who wants to root for a competitive window in the future as opposed to right now?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’m going to publicly meltdown if DJLM goes to the Jays

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/dszymborski/status/1348706055052800000?s=21

Kansas City’s is metal as gently caress, Atlanta’s is somehow on brand in terms of offending people

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/baseballtwit/status/1349091220740583425?s=21

I come providing dark knowledge

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1350036486150909954?s=21

Machine back

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

R.D. Mangles posted:

maybe it's just my media consumption, but it seems even the mainstream sports press, such as it exists, is far more pro-labor and anti-owner than it was in '94, and while i suppose there is also a screeching right-wing cultural outrage machine, i think more people than owners expect would side with the players. whether that has any effect, who's to say-- sports from a business standpoint are in unprecedented ground and so much money is tied to TV deals, but i think owners who are expecting the general public to uniformly turn against "greedy players" are going to have a harder time when fans are genuinely pissed that they are not even trying to win and it's apparent even to sports radio mutants that owners are being brazen and perverse with their finances.

I would agree with this. The grifting among the wealthy class for every last surplus dollar has become prevalent enough in other aspects of society that people will get mad it’s appearing even in their “escape”

Maybe this is too optimistic a view but I’ve been surprised by how things have shaken out in other places so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a pro labor tack this time around

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve always loved Donaldson’s approach of rotational hitting where you’re actively rotating your shoulders and hips to get to the ball and hit the snot out of the ball. You really have to understand your body and your swing to make it work though. I’ll see if I can dig out the clip because it really is a great concept

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

players have discussed in the past that it takes them time to adjust to playing at sea level and then playing at elevation. There are physical consequences and then in terms of actually playing. Ball doesn't break as sharply in Coors, and by the time players get used to either sea level or elevation, it's back on the road or back home.

the more I see it the less likely it is that there will ever be a good team in Colorado. doesn't help that their decision making team has poo poo for brains

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, more teams in the playoffs equals less of an incentive to try and compete if you can just sneak in and get the free money

given the way teams have looked lately 75-80 wins can get the 7th seed and that is disgusting

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I have fond memories of Raul Ibanez being stupidly clutch against the O's and the Tigers in 2012

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

if you sickos really want more contact and fewer strikeouts then the mound needs to move back. Pitches are too good at the current distance to be able to do anything against them except make feeble and useless contact

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that conceding on a cap and floor then puts guaranteed contracts in danger. Ownership won’t stop until they can do the bare minimum and still make money hand over first

I do like shortening the time for free agency though, that makes a lot of sense in a floor and cap league

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think the players will ever give up guaranteed contracts

Players won’t but the owners won’t just stop at a salary cap is my point

Striking over opening the books is probably worth it

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ve never liked softball because I always thought women should just play baseball

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

I'm kinda worried that Gardy is going to take away AB's from Frazier when he needs to be in there every day.

good thing Boone said that Clint is the starter lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Aaron Boone is having a pacemaker installed. Says he’ll be out for a few days (?!) but really hope he’s alright once he comes back, what with Covid and all