Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Lfgm.

Also, the Cleveland Base Ball Team's opening day payroll is now about 38m. Sympathies to their fans and may fate gently caress the Dolans.

E: it's crazy to me that Carrasco is a salary dump, he's making 2/24 and has been ace quality every one of the last five years except 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Some quick and dirty math says that average mlb opening day payroll will have increased about 17% between 2011 and 2021 (109m to 93m). Meanwhile, revenue in 2019 was 70% higher than 2011 (10.7b to 6.3b).

gently caress owners.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

(two young, cost controlled good defensive shortstops with upside if they hit, and two recent high draft picks)

Rosario's defense isn't very good. It'll play fine if he hits like he did in 2019, but he's at best adequate. Gimenez has a good glove.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Popete posted:

You can at least argue the Cubs tried post 2016, the Indians were in a similar position with a young star studded team and they just gave up their owner decided that he wanted more money.

Ftfy. The Dolans chose to gently caress over Cleveland so they could be even richer.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

Harper just turned 28. I'm not so sure his best season is behind him. It's a little early to have this conversation IMO.

It probably is, but only because that was a truly phenomenal season. Agreed that it wouldn't be a shock for him to put up another MVP caliber year.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

whaaaaaat?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

a bullpen built around Hand/May/Lugo/Familia/Blevins could be pretty solid even if Diaz and Betances are trash again

Only 1/3rd a season, but Diaz was excellent last year. 1.75 ERA and a 2.18 FIP. Only gave up two dingers in 25 ip, too, and those are like half of why he stunk in 2019.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think you can skip to the very last sentence clause there.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Intruder posted:

I'm sad that we lost the most likeable Astro but happy we kept the second most likeable Astro

Lots of Astros fans seem to be pushing for Jackie Bradley Jr which, ugh, I guess. Such a downgrade from Springer

JBJ is still an extremely good defensive CF, and there's usually a 6-8 week stretch where he hits like Mickey Mantle. It's just that he can't hit at all outside of that 6-8 week stretch. You'll enjoy him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nodoze posted:

Jackie Bradley Jr sucks, the only reason the red sox were able to carry his dead weight was the rest of the lineup hit the poo poo out of the ball

JBJ's been an average or better player (by WAA) every year since 2015. But go off.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nodoze posted:

Yeah he looks good on WAA because it values his defense. He's not a bad defender but he can't hit for poo poo and the true value and accuracy of defensive metrics is still a mystery compared to what we actually know about offense.

I left out his oWAR because I was hoping you'd say that, actually.

oWAR by season:
2015: 1.4 (in 74 games)
2016: 4.3
2017: 2.0
2018: 2.0
2019: 2.0
2020: 1.6 (in 5 games)

Looking forward to you explaining how being a bit above average for his position means he "can't hit for poo poo."

The real knock on Bradley is that he's one of the streakiest players I've ever seen. Maybe you've only ever seen him play when he's in one of his regular "couldn't hit water if he fell off a boat" stretches, but he balances that out with 6 weeks a season where he absolutely pummels the ball.

E: JBJ is/was a personal favorite of mine on the Sox. He's not a great player, but he's a good complementary piece and will give you several highlight reel catches a season until age saps his defensive ability.

E2: VVV Yeah, he's not Springer unfortunately.

But while I have the edit box open, some selective endpoint cherry-picking of JBJ splits from bref game logs!
2015: From August 9 to September 7, .446/.489/.952 - after a .426 OPS in his first 70 PA. (only played in 70ish games this season)
2016: Had a .582 OPS on April 23rd, hit .415/.488/.783 for the next month, then a .752 OPS the rest of the way.
2017: Had a .537 OPS on May 14th, slashed .322/.413/.572 for the next 50 games, then had a .579 OPS the rest of the way. The sin qua non of a JBJ season. Worth 2 oWAR!
2018: Another rough start, wearing a .563 OPS on June 23, over the next 9 weeks hit .294/.350/.540, then managed a .743 OPS through the end of the year.
2019: Sitting at a .409 OPS on May 9, he raised his overall OPS by 340 points over the next 6 weeks by going .307/.404/.582. Managed to put together a .724 OPS the rest of the way mostly thanks to a second 5 week hot streak of .253/.368/.620 from August 10 to September 18.
2020: Covid Season JBJ squeezed his slow start and hot streak in, with a .520 OPS in his first 60 PA and then slashing .313/.400/.537 the rest of the way.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 22, 2021

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This sucks :(

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Honestly think Aaron is the most underrated player of all time. He was just so good, for so long. He didn't have down years at all.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I've been strenuously against considering people's non-baseball stuff when determining whether I think they should be in the HOF, mainly because so many assholes are already there (HI CAP ANSON! HI KENNISAW MOUNTAIN LANDIS!), but boy howdy has Schilling made that nigh impossible. At this point I'm hoping he dies soon so then I can feel OK about supporting his HOF case.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

GPTribefan posted:

Seriously between him and Sheffield it’s a loving joke. I can see people not going all in on Helton because of the Coors factor but one of the best 3rd baseman to ever play and a member of the 500 home run club with no steroid association????

Anyone turning in a blank ballot needs their BBWAA membership taken away immediately.

What? Sheffield admitted to being a BALCO client.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I cant remember the last time a 3B was elected to the HoF besides Chipper a few years ago. The hell does the BBWAA want from that position?

A shortstop level glove and a 1B bat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Matz isn't really an innings eater, never pitched more than 160 innings in a season. He's had a hard time staying healthy. I like the dude and wish him a lot of success.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

N: the Mets signed Aaron Loup for $3M

V: sure I guess

That fills their 40-man roster, which means they're probably not getting Bauer. Which, on the one hand another good pitcher is always useful. On the other, he's a jerkface.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

RCarr posted:

For the love of God do not get sick of your franchise being dysfunctional and decide to take up being a Met fan as a means of fixing that.

No, that's exactly what they should do. C'mon in! The water's fine - just stay away from the Mets medical staff.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is a goddamned three act play.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

He's gonna walk the parrot a few more times. Nelson Cruz is so cool.

Career through age 30 season: 2000 PA, 106 HR, .270/.330/.504 slash line, 115 OPS+
Career from age 31 season to present: 5000 PA, 311 HR, .281/.354/.540 slash, 141 OPS+

I didn't realize he was at 417 career HR. It'll be real weird if he continues to have the kindest aging curve literally ever and somehow makes it to 500 HR (most dingers from age 40 on is 76, by Carlton Fisk).

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chamale posted:

That's Edwin Encarnacion, not Cruz, but still cool.

Oh god, I'm developing old man brain. My apologies.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

I feel like there are definitely better uses of $40M than getting one season of the game's biggest rear end in a top hat

Not my money (directly) and Bauer is a dipshit but he's a dipshit who's a pretty good to ace pitcher.

I actually prefer the short money and in this case I'm good with the opt outs. Ideally he pitches 220 innings of 130 ERA+ ball each of the next 1-2 seasons and then fucks off to Colorado where the Monforts will end up giving the Padres 100m dollars to get out of his contract shortly before the 2025 season.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

e: if Hey Man is right I hope that $40M stays on the table now and doesn't go right back into Cohen's pocket

My only mostly wild rear end guess is that part of it would go towards a Thor extension if Thor is healthy and good for the back half of the season. I assume they'd already budgeted for Lindor's extension.

Cohen strikes me as a dude who will very likely be either just below or somewhere above the luxury tax threshold. I'd personally enjoy him saying "gently caress you, other owners, I'm spending as much as I want" and ignoring the luxury tax entirely, but that sure as hell ain't gonna happen.

$85m is pretty good money for two years! That'll be up the same year as Price's contract ends, so that's 77m coming off the books in the same year. Actually, geez, the Dodgers have only 33m committed to 2023. Almost all of that is Betts.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Seems like a good deal for the Mets and possibly the Royals. Benny was hurt almost all of last season, but he's at least an average corner OF and possibly a very good one who's only 26.

Free Xander and Devers from the poo poo pile that is the Red Sox.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The Pussy Boss posted:

The old names reflected the history of the game. It's not that "Pacific Coast League" is such a great name (although it's certainly more evocative than "Triple-A West") but the PCL existed for over 100 years. It was the only west coast baseball until the Giants and Dodgers moved to California and teams like the San Francisco Seals were beloved in their day.

Now granted, the PCL hasn't been an independent league for like, 60 years, and the reorganization just reflects that reality. It's still a tiny bit sad that a tiny piece of baseball history is going away for no real reason I guess?

Exactly. The names were anodyne, sure, but there was actually history to them.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Minor League baseball rules.

Yes. Bewbies knows not what of they speak.

alpha_destroy posted:

Reminds me of the harebrained scheme someone on Effectively Wild had that MLB should do a Gillette and should just send every 8 yr old a glove on their birthday.

gently caress and yes. Glove and tee-ball sized ball.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ScottyJSno posted:

I got one after I signed up for the selective service. So I bet the military paid for it.

IIRC they just purchased the names and addresses. I got one as an 18 year old.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

alpha_destroy posted:

Bernard Sanders says you can't have his beloved Lake Monsters: https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/1360367867557007361?s=19

Bernie as Finance Committee Chair absolutely has the power to slip a "gently caress you MLB" amendment into must pass omnibus spending bills. I would laugh for days.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

-Pitch clocks are dumb and time between pitches isn't the problem.

LOL.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Do you people watch baseball? When batters step in, pitchers hold the ball for 10+ seconds on a regular basis... then the batter steps out and they repeat.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

:getin:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Popete posted:

Just please no more 3 person booths, they're universally terrible.

*Stares in Gary, Keith, and Ron*

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

I’ve never liked softball because I always thought women should just play baseball

I'm fine with softball given that its been around a long while and has built up traditions, but agreed that it was bullshit they moved girls away from playing baseball in the 1970s when places were finally required to let girls and young women play sports in school/college.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I hope Tatis Jr. is excellent for 14 years and in San Diego the whole time.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Trevor Bauer doesn't know how much white shoe firms charge for a partners time these days, huh? $500 will get you a bit less than an hour from a first year associate. Heck, in my small time burg we've got attorneys billing at that much per hour.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Noah Syndergaard rules and I wish they didn't have the DH so they could face each other this season.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

That jersey says Pooey and I refuse to hear otherwise or click the play button.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

Ronald. Acuna. Jr.

Hitting 490ft bombs, popping huge bubble yum bubbles and pissing off southern whites.

Counterpoint, literally moved their stadium to get away from non-white people, the Tomahawk chop.

I'm not going to pitch the Mets, because the only kind thing to be said about them is that their former bad owners were completely loving hapless. The new one is evil, too.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Padres are honestly probably among the least bad choices. Tough to stay up for their games, tho.

For a club that you don't have to work about time zones, Blue Jays would probably be good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

LeeMajors posted:

Ugh, gently caress. That's very fair and gently caress the Braves for moving. And gently caress the chop for a lot of reasons up to and including gently caress Florida State.

The team is fun tho!

I should just pitch my AL team, the A's!

The Braves team is very fun and good, agreed. So it could definitely be worse.