Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

No matter how heartbreaking it’ll be to see your World Series-winning team yuck it up at the White House in a few weeks, at least Dodgers fans can take solace in the fact that it won’t get more embarrassing than watching them do a Titanic reenactment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

White Sox you dumb bastards

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Didn’t he slim down considerably last offseason too? I remember shots of him playing Dominican ball looking pretty fit.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think a big part of that is MLB working to shield their storied franchise while leaving the Astros out to dry.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

La Russa driving around the north side next spring doing “Cubbies, come out to plaaaayyy”

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Uh I think the instructions are pretty clear. You can only choose Thrilledge. You only need Thrilledge.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

davecrazy posted:

The day he called up I went to Shea to see him. Thought it was going to be the start of an era.

I was so hyped when the Nats got him... but not as hyped as when I pulled that same starry eyed move the day the O’s called up Matt “Joe Mauer with power” Wieters and bought a shirsey :shepspends:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/RichardStaff/status/1328903434171453440?s=20

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qv25_DFR2k

George Brett: here's 3 minutes of telling y'all how many times I poo poo myself. BTW, who's pitching tonight?.

Wow this is a treasure.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Speaking of money pits, did they ever get a carriage deal for the new TV channel they moved Cubs games to?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The year is 2032. Twenty four teams now vie for the Commissioner’s Trophy, baseball’s most coveted piece of metal, in the electrifying MLB postseason. This exclusive competition from among the league’s thirty teams has already seen season length, gate receipts, and advertiser impression metrics climb to previously unseen heights.

“The introduction of a three-team round robin format to each League Championship Series honors our sport’s rich history of piecemeal changes,” said MLB commissioner Rob Manfred. “I look forward to assisting the owner of our upcoming World Series champion in being the first to hoist my office’s trophy above their decrepit head some time in late November or early December.”

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

bawfuls posted:

your taco was provided by one Markus Lynn Betts, a man who's never been implicated in any kidnapping scheme

If Mookie weren’t an all-time baseball name it’d be fun to call him “MLB”.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Big fan of Cleveland Spiders or Walleyes. Guardians sounds lame but if those statues are a big thing and the people want it, sure.

Re: Atlanta, is “braves” even accurate? I can’t imagine it was a blanket term used across all tribes/nations. It wouldn’t surprise me if the name was slapped on without regard for how applicable it was. Or maybe it was and, through moves, this is a Utah Jazz situation?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Excuse me Beaneaters?! They should bring that back. And if it’s too Boston, then just change their name instead. Cincinnati would be able to go back to Red Stockings, too. I see no downside here.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Feel bad for the Pirates posters, but sure I’ll take that trade.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The Padres were so fun to watch this past season, especially in those gorgeous unis. Excited for them once the season starts in... June?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Good to see them really going for it

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I would like the Yankees to do something.

Counterpoint: I would not like the Yankees to do something.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Grow bats. Buy bats. gently caress arms.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What could the Cubs possibly get for Kimbrel? Might as well throw him into the Darvish package for a bag of balls.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What an abysmal return. Unreal.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah I feel for you Cubs fans. At least you got a title. You could be Rangers fans, or even worse, Mets fans.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Cheap and incompetent teams deserve the beatings they take, but at least you can make the argument they’re mostly staffed by mediocre to bad players who haven’t earned big contracts. What damns the Rays, to me, is they get incredible production out of guys and don’t pay them close to what they’d make on most other teams.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

bawfuls posted:

2011 cardinals won 90 games. The 2014 Giants won 88, and the 2006 Cardinals won 83

Wasn’t it the 2011 Cardinals who had to win like 11 of their last 13 games to even make the postseason? Talk about getting hot.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I just remember he was on the cusp of signing when the season finally started and then tested positive for covid so that was that. Maybe you’re thinking of Arozarena’s kidnapping/custody situation?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

bawfuls posted:

the 2014 Royals meanwhile failed baseball

I agree. Snuffing out Orioles Magic is a capital offense.

And oh yikes Puig.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s a hell of a get for the Jays. I’m curious to know if the Mets drama had an impact on their chances.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Um excuse me did you miss the Nats getting Josh Bell and Jon Lester???

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

gently caress Schilling, but he earned a spot in the hall. The character clause is dumb and applied unevenly. OTOH if you’re going to draw a line, supporting the overthrow of the US government is definitely on the other side of it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

alpha_destroy posted:

I'm usually on board with the character clause being nonsense. Especially considering who it comes from.

Was it Landis? I always thought he pushed for it, and had it in my head it was Black Sox-related, but couldn’t find anything when I searched around just now.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I'm not sure what this is about but I'm here for it.

https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/1352832697446502402

This is part of a bit, right? It has to be.

Strasburgs UCL posted:

https://twitter.com/Britt_Ghiroli/status/1352825752148996097?s=20

I don't have an Athletic sub so I haven't read this but apparently MASN is cutting all coverage of the Orioles and Nationals except the game broadcasts. They told the teams if they wanted pre and post game coverage they have to pay for it themselves. I can't believe the MASN deal has somehow become even more of a loving disaster.

Don’t have a sub either, but I thought Angelos still owned MASN. Is this court ordered and the O’s will just get an absurd sweetheart deal? I hope the Nats eventually break free. This mess has dragged out for so many years.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I realize the odds this turns into a monkey paw wish are pretty high, but I hope the team gets sold in the next couple years. It’d be great to see someone competent not squander one of the best logos in pro sports.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The regular season is boring and people love the excitement of a tournament. I get it. But you can’t just do a big knockout stage because then everything’s over in two months. You need to draw it out. I think MLB should scrap the regular season in favor of adding a group play stage to the start of the postseason. But how many games should each team play...

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That same guy just released a new video about a MLB lawsuit with a former Angels clubhouse manager accused of distributing a grip substance throughout the league. It fingers a lot of big names.

I’d like to think it’s mostly conspiracy theory, especially the supposedly-damning clip of Cole it keeps showing, but these significant jumps in spin rate are a little suspicious.

https://youtu.be/-SDIb2rf9EA

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1355225904063143940?s=21

He put on a loving clinic during that 2015 run and was solid on the Nats. Did he ever recant his stance on gay marriage or is he still a bigot?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

They just straight purchased him lol

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Oh I completely misread that tweet and thought the Cards were shipping the cash

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Isn’t decreased break a contributing factor of the Coors Effect? Do McGee’s stats look common for pitchers who spend time on the Rockies? Seems like he was trending towards his peak, struggled with his mechanics in Colorado, and got back on track in LA.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Soto :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’s insane to see the Padres actually going for it. Good for them. I hope they go the distance. Watching the Nats win it all was an incredible ride and I hope every baseball fan gets to experience that happiness once in their lives.