Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

mastershakeman posted:

holy lol at TLR being BACK

his first season managing the sox was in '79!!

I'm old as gently caress, but I went to the game previous to him being announced as a White Sox manager the first time in '79. Burying the lede to the story, but I think the Yankees also solved their Gary Sanchez problem. It was also Thurman Munson's last game.

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I hope Jerry Reinsdorf is soon able to work with his good friend George Steinbrenner in designing a perfect manager and lineup for heaven's team.

Wait, take your poo poo rear end son and Kenny Williams too.

I feel like I'm getting to mcmagic levels. Gonna step back for a bit.

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 29, 2020

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Jose Abreu wins AL MVP. To think the White Sox were "this close" to not resigning him this year even at a home town discount. At least every other decision the front office has made has been sound.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is pretty funny that Len and Benetti, two analytically minded guys, are now stuck justifying la russa bullpen moves.

on the other hand, if Len wants to call a world series, it's much more likely to happen on the south side than going through another decade of tanking on the cubs.

No question La Russa is an abhorrent human, but from a purely baseball perspective I'm not as worried as I was about the pitching staff and their management now that the guy that magically fixed Giolito is the pitching coach.

Also how great is it that the Sox went from Hawk and Ed Farmer to Benetti and Kasper in 3 years.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Why does this organization keep balancing out every good thing they do with a lovely thing?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The Steamers.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I hope I'm not being too dense, but I'm not sure why they are changing the name. Most of the past imagery surrounding the team and some of the wording are offensive, but is the nickname itself offensive? Or is this a business decision to make a clean break and start over so idiots will have to stop cosplaying as chief wahoo at games?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Story is offset by Trevor Bauer also using that picture to get ready before his starts.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

The Ricketts' are too highly leveraged in the Iraqi dinar and must sell off assets.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

rickiep00h posted:

He's gonna nuke all the fun of what is statistically* the most fun team in the league. Like, I'm a Twins fan and I was actually getting pumped about heading down Red Line when things calmed down. But nope. Let's just take all that youthful energy and squander it.

*This is a fact and I will not debate it.

It might be a pipe dream, but I really don't see this team letting that happen. Unless Adam Eaton is able to bring back clubhouse leader Drake LaRoche, I don't see them going for it. Not to say it won't turn out hilariously terrible, but it won't happen without blowing the team up.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Wondering if the Cubs ever talked to Darvish. Judging by his tweets I'm not sure they did?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I thought I remembered Schwarbs having defensive value. Was that just 3rd base coaches running on a strong left field arm that was always out of position?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm overjoyed, because assuming there is a ceremony this year that means that the 2020 inductees get all the time, and y'all bastards have to listen to Hawk Harrelson spend 20 minutes hearing him opine on TWTW.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

A lot of times I'm like,"well sure I took a poo poo on the dining room table now, but I did it before too so it's really not that bad this time"

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I'm trying to figure out why fewer regular season + expanded playoff games is a no-go, I'm assuming because even though the # of games is similar the profit potential isn't, and there is no way the owners will share an equitable amount?

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I think cheating should be like it is in wrestling, and if the ump catches a team cheating the manager comes out to distract him and the team cheats even harder

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Sad to see that Pedro Gomez passed today. Don't know anything about him personally but I appreciated his reporting.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I genuinely wonder if the 3rd strike on a foul bunt rule caused as much consternation as the runner on second when it got put in. It seems just as arbitrary and was implemented for what I assume are very similar reasons, and now it's just accepted.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

If you thought Joe West's completely arbitrary calling of balks are bad, wait til you see how sassy he would get allowing only certain batters to step out.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

GalacticAcid posted:

Tom’s River Todd to the pirates apparently

(Not confirmed yet)

Edited to add: now confirmed

https://twitter.com/alexjstumpf/status/1362884756380282884?s=21

That feels like quite a fall off from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

R.D. Mangles posted:

Root for the white sox or the padres.

The WS were a much easier sell before LaRussa and Eaton rejoined them, but everyone else is pretty fly.