Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Spoeank posted:

https://twitter.com/ethnicohioan/status/1353840981762854912

A subreddit crushed Steve Cohen's hedge fund and they lost over $2B lol

Good to see our old friend lolmets hasn't gone anywhere :mets:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I remember one of the conversations around the 94 strike (at least in Chicago) was about Ryne Sandberg's 4/$28m extension for 1992, a year he put up 7.4 fWAR.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Slimy Hog posted:

Who's left at ss? Didi and Freddy Galvis?

https://www.mlb.com/news/freddy-galvis-signs-with-orioles Galvis just signed with the Orioles for 1 year/1.5 (plus 250k if he's traded)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Presumably there are a few who just vote and don’t make a big stink about it?

I think there's plenty, especially among the sabermetrics crowd. Christina Kahrl's 2020 ballot (I'm pretty sure she posted her 2021 ballot too, but I can't immediately find it):
https://twitter.com/ChristinaKahrl/status/1212788546983153673

And Jaffe's 2021 ballot:
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/jay-jaffes-2021-hall-of-fame-ballot/

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Popete posted:

I work with a few of the old Midway guys who built the electronics for those arcade cabinets. I never knew about a MLB Jam, I'll have to ask them about it next time I'm in the office which may not be for awhile yet.

I worked at Midway, but I didn't start until 2006, well after the arcade era. There was MLB Slugfest, which was the (console) spiritual MLB version of NBA Jam.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Poque posted:

He sucks forever

I wish anyone else had said "Do you go to Fangraphs at all?" because I would absolutely buy that t-shirt

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Wow Midway games had a bigger presence in Chicago than I realized. I went to junior high school with the son of an executive producer there. It was cool seeing his name in the credits after beating Mortal Kombat II.

Yeah, for those of us in the Chicago game industry that have been around a long enough time, there's basically "ex-Midway", "ex-EA Chicago", and youngins.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GalacticAcid posted:

Trevor Williams to the cubs on a major league deal

Well, enjoy Bryant, Hendricks, and Contreras I guess

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

It is especially dogshit that he's been hired at Fangraphs, when Meg Rowley has had repeated and lengthy discussions on the podcast she co-hosts regarding the importance of diversity in baseball, not giving the same old white guys endless second chances, and the simple things organizations should do to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

In that context Rowley looks extremely hypocritical right now.

While I'm sure she has some influence over writer hiring decisions, I assume it's Appelman making the calls.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Oh thank god I can root for Dex with my whole heart again. Love that guy when he's not a Cardinal.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

Not that anyone was going to be at all sympathetic to the Reigning World Series Champion Dodgers but signing Bauer is full heel turn.

Welcome to the afterglow. At least you still have a good chance of winning another one

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

R.D. Mangles posted:

still disgusted the vile ricketts family made them go back to the white house

Not CJ. He went to the Smithsonian.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cool, next move the mound back.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Ya you don't need to move the mound. You can alter the height or the strikezone

Yeah, any of these changes are fine with me. High strikeouts are only going to get worse as pitchers learn more about pitch development

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Nodoze posted:

TBH I thought it was mostly old boomers complaining about the contact rate and guys striking out so much

It's old boomers complaining that this is the fault of players "not knowing how to play the game right". The players are optimizing their strategy to win games, so you can't blame anyone for wanting to hit the ball in the air, or for pitchers wanting to pound high fastballs at 98, or for working the count and drawing walks. It's just that the more three true outcomes baseball is, the less action there is, and it's less interesting to watch. The league is responsible for reacting to changes in the way the game is played and adjusting the rules or equipment to keep the experience entertaining.

Changing the ball or the strike zone doesn't change the fundamentals of the game - I'd argue that the runner on second rule, 7-inning doubleheaders, the 3-batter minimum, and the DH all change the fundamentals much more than that, and MLB is fine imposing those changes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I don't like the idea of banning the shift, because I don't like the idea of artificially limiting strategies. I want weird defensive configurations, or at least I want people to see if they work.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

yeah i'd really like to see the numbers on this

a distribution of how many innings extra inning games went with and without this dumbass rule

so the most likely outcome in a normal half inning is that 0 runs are scored. the goal is to increase the odds that different numbers of runs are scored in each half inning, and the easiest way to do that is to reduce the chance that no runs are scored in a half inning. EW did a segment on it where a statistician broke it down, and it does, at least in theory, make it less likely that an inning ends with the game still tied.

But yeah, I'm waiting for the first 10-inning perfect game loss.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bawfuls posted:

right but what is the magnitude of the effect of the runner on second rule here?

like does it reduce the frequency of a 15-inning game by 0.5%? 5%? 50%? The impact also changes depending on the overall run scoring environment. In a low run scoring environment the runner on second rule will have a bigger impact on reducing extra innings than in a high run scoring environment.

it's an aesthetically obnoxious rule in that it changes some very basic parts of the game in a way many people dislike. So it needs to be particularly effective at reducing extra inning games to be worth that tradeoff

ending in a tie after 12 eliminates all of this, the weird impact on pitcher stats, the run scoring environment sensitivity, etc

Yeah, I don't remember the numbers, but they broke it down on EW and it did seem effective. I also don't like it, all I'm saying is that it seems to do what it sets out to do.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GoutPatrol posted:

I say this in all unironicness, try watching the Japanese leagues when they start up again. I find it more fun to watch.

I wish I could get an on-demand/time-shifted streaming service for NPB.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Garrison Keillor tells a good story about a fictional old baseball player who doesn’t hit that well but teaches himself to foul the ball off anywhere he wants to and so just hits it anywhere or at the opponents’ dugout just to stay at the plate. He gets banned from the league after he intentionally hits the umpire with foul tips two dozen times in a row.

https://www.theringer.com/2017/2/3/16042314/baseball-mlb-npb-ham-fighters-shohei-otani-takuya-nakashima-6a0e7d22d39f

Career .233/.310/.266 hitter, but he can foul off just about anything

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

cebrail posted:

lol is he saying Bauer is secretly not a piece of poo poo?

It's the same thing the Cubs did with Chapman and the Astros did with Osuna. "We know he looks like a piece of poo poo but we looked into it and the evidence that he's not is obvious and just out of frame"

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

My hot take on minor league ball is that it's fun to go to minor league games, and also all the players deserve a real wage

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

bewbies posted:

Perhaps I wasn't communicating effectively, but if your takeaway was that I'm not a huge fan of minor league baseball, my point was not received.

What I dislike is that MiLB is dominated by affiliated teams/leagues, whose primary reason for existence is developing a tiny number of prospects into major leaguers. Developmental baseball is fine, but it isn't the same as true indy baseball. Affiliated teams live and die at the whim of their parents, have to play lineups and rotations not for winning but for maximizing prospect playing time, players are rarely in one place for more than a year, and baseball players with no major league future are virtually worthless. All of this is bad for the fan.

What I'd like to see is MLB trim down its ridiculous system of affiliated leagues so that more communities can enjoy independent ball and all of the cool things it brings, rather than so much of the minor league landscape being controlled by the immediate needs of big league clubs.

And no, you don't need 15 different levels of minor leagues to develop good baseball players.

conclusion: you all should watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battered_Bastards_of_Baseball

Indy ball also rules and I'm sad that the St. Paul Saints aren't going to be indy anymore, but on the other hand I have 4 American Association teams within a 100 mile drive now since the Kane County Cougars are indy now, so that's cool

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Do it, i don't give a poo poo if he's gassed

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Timby posted:

Chris Myers is the Fox Sports guy who was originally reported to be taking over for Kasper, but the Cubs backtracked from it after some initial outcry because he's said some really lovely, racist things.

DeShaies is probably liking the new partnerships. He would occasionally get incredibly ornery on the air when Kasper would bring up advanced stats, and both Myers and Hughes pretty much avoid anything beyond OPS. Although Sciambi sucks, so the Cubs' TV presence is going to suck in general this year.

I'll love Pat Hughes forever, but I don't think I've ever heard him mention OPS, and if he did he would do it in a way that made it very clear he didn't care about it and didn't think you should care about it either.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

galaxy brain take: all amateurs should play softball, in school probably up until the high school level at which point players of any gender who are Serious About Playing can switch to baseball

also: 16" is better than 12". it's four more better.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Mike_V posted:

Cubs signed Brandon Workman to...help their bullpen, presumably?

The Cubs sign a guy who used to be pretty good to close games every year.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Julio Cruz posted:

generally before this offseason a lot of teams were hesitant to go to the actual hearing - there's one team (I think the Giants?) that went quite a few years without doing so

standing up in front of a panel and explaining why your good young player actually isn't as good as they think is a good way to piss them off and is usually not worth doing just to save what is usually less than a million

I was under this impression too, but there's actually fewer players that went to arb this year (13) than last year (22)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

elentar posted:

If anyone wants to get right back to games that matter, beloved internet pastime Blaseball is back tomorrow after a long layout, and with a steady schedule going forward.

We Are From Chicago

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Would you like to remember 2016 differently, because it turns out that the Cubs won the World Series that year after going down three games to one versus cleveland. A lot of people forget that.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah how the gently caress did the Cubs go from looking like a budding dynasty in 2016 to reverting back to being the Cubs?

Arrieta, unsurprisingly, was never the absolute raid boss he was in 15-16 again, and walked in free agency after 17.
Lester slowly declined, albeit gracefully.
The Cubs really needed starting pitching at the 17 deadline, so they got Jose Quintana, who was a 3-4 starter for the rest of his arb years.
Several looked-like-a-great-move-at-the-time bullpen guys didn't pan out or hurt themselves putting on pants.
Bryant misses a bunch of time every year with injuries and never consistently puts it together.
Russell is best forgotten, plus he was bad at baseball.
Dexter Fowler left in FA after 16.
Schwarber never learned how to hit lefties and is below average to bad in left.
Zobrist declined and then retired (maybe not officially? But he's done)

The farm system that was the best in baseball in 15-16 turned into pretty good player Ian Happ, a clutch tag up and advance to 2nd, good offensive catcher Willson Contreras, 3 months of Aroldis Chapman, and Jose Quintana.

tl;dr they sold to maximize wins during the competitive window and did pretty well for 6 years. Everyone's 6 years older now and those guys either didn't pan out, were too expensive to keep, or they're Kyle Hendricks, Rizzo, and Baez.

There's a few decent prospects in the pipe, and I don't think it's going to be a 100-loss team again anytime soon, plus the NLC is the worst division by a stretch.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well the Yankees could have broken the bank when Judge was younger and it was obvious what they had.

It's not obvious what they have. Anything could happen, but Tatis is likely to be better than Judge over the course of his career, or at least the Padres have reason to believe he will be.

Nothing against Judge as a player, but the reason he's "one of the biggest names in baseball" is because of the pinstripes on his jersey and how absolutely loving huge he is. If he was on the Reds doing exactly the same thing he would not be a household name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Stanton was on the Marlins and everyone knew him because he could hit the ball 500 feet.

Outside of baseball fans?

Like, most people don't know who Mike Trout is, and he plays in a major market and may be the best player to play the game ever.